Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

There's more than one of those and also the whole thing seems to be full of dead characters.

Namor - dead for a little bit longer but currently in the process of getting undeadified in Squadron Supreme
Whizzer - dead for, like, ages and ages
Two-Gun Kid - dead of old age
Sentry - maybe dead? I guess? gently caress it's the Sentry who even knows
Irredemable Ant-Man - dead, evil LMD running around
Jocasta - who the gently caress even knows, she's always getting blown up, but let's say dead

eh, 6 out of 50 ain't too bad, especially since at least one will be alive again in a month or two and two of them have a history of being dead but returning with little to no explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

fadam posted:

Admittedly I haven't read any of the new Inhuman or X-Men stuff, but why does Cyclops making the most non-lethal to Mutants make him Hitler? Did he stop it from giving Inhumans powers or something?

Like Aphrodite said, the Inhumans consider the Terrigen Mists to be sacred - they're basically the centerpiece of their entire culture. By altering it - by making it essentially not-Terrigen, and there's good reason to believe that the changed cloud will no longer allow Inhumans to go through Terrigenesis anymore either - he's basically attacked their entire sense of who the Inhumans are.

Now, personally I think that's perfectly defensible, but the reason I think Cyclops is getting a terrible rep out of this is that by going about this unilaterally and in the fashion he did (well, "he", given the ending of Death of X #4) he essentially made it impossible for the Inhumans to not consider themselves at odds with the mutants. He took a bad situation and made it worse. He was right, of course, but then he usually is.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

The only problem is like, a running subplot in half of the Inhuman series up to this point has had Beast trying to fix the cloud's effects, or having them roll around trying to divert the cloud or give people advance warning to get out of the way if they don't want to get transformed or affected. It's just another stupid out of character event thing for them to go "Mess with our cloud will you? We're enemies now!" instead of "Please let us help us do something else with this cloud instead of outright destroying it". But then I guess when you have half the characters tied up in a Mandatory Hero Fight™, everyone's gonna behave like a loving idiot instead of talk.

Right, except that's explicitly called out in Death of X - which takes place before those Inhumans series - as part of the negotiated settlement kinda thing that stopped all the fighting. Like, someone says flat-out "Okay, look, we talked, we don't have to keep fighting, Hank can keep looking for a cure, holy poo poo is everyone unhappy with everyone else right now let's all just be thankful that Black Bolt isn't hollering."

I mean, it's stupid, but it's at least internally consistent.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Roth posted:

But serious Marvel has Vision

Had. Had Vision.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I had no idea Amadeus and Laura were gonna pop up in Ghost Rider, so I was actually a pretty tickled to see them. I actually really hope Robbie will end up in Champions at some point...hey, they need a Ghost Rider, right?

I'm p. sure they're going for Yet Another New Fantastic Four Riff and the goop-y thing is going to be the Venom analogue.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I know a couple of posters have mentioned it before, but I wanted to add a voice to the chorus of people saying "Man, Ann Nocenti's run on Daredevil was really really good."

The fact that she isn't often mentioned alongside Miller, Brubaker, and Bendis is just sad.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Onmi posted:

He's also the writer of Young Justice and Impulse. Granted, decades removed.

Young Justice was Peter David.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

Mockingbird was actually very good and funny and it sucks that it was selling worse than stuff like cloonans punisher which is just criminally boring

this goon knows what's up.

Mockingbird was amazing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, was that Pizzadog with Mew???

Yes. Yes it was.

It was glorious.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Hey we are trying to increase brand awareness for Captain Marvel, how should we do that?
Make her a terrible fascist and make all the other heroes hate her.
Double your salary!

How do you deal when your favorite hero is going through a tough time?

When Iron Man was busy being a facist I consoled myself by rereading a whole lot of Layton/Michelenie issues.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

I like USG's art because it's fun and expressive and god forbid if artists insert something stylized into their work that isn't typically pretty or masculine.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yo. Someone get me ready for USAvengers by broadly spoiling all of ANAD New Avengers, please :)

Somewhere along the line Roberto DaCosta figured out how to Plan poo poo In Advance and it is glorious.

Oh, right, you probably want something more informative than that. "Sunspot took over AIM, then turned over all the Bad Parts of it to the US government. Also the Maker was not as smart as he thought he was."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I like Victor and I'm always against how it seems like 'new'(ish) teen heroes are seen as the most disposable characters in the Marvel universe, but eh. It's not the biggest loss.

It's not just Marvel, as the history of like 2/3rds of the Teen Titans illustrates.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn that sales data showed events were tending in decreased sales. Or is just Rebirth such a juggernaught that it's knocked Marvel down to where a success last year looks like failure this year.

Event books seem to be succeeding less than they used to, if I recall correctly - but they're still reliably succeeding, which isn't something most anything else being done by comics companies can say.

Like, for every wildly successful new book that Marvel puts out, there are half a dozen that fail. Even if they're really good books, like - to pick a couple that I loved that sold miserably - Mockingbird or The Order. Meanwhile, even if the event books aren't blowing up like they did ten years ago, they're still consistently and reliably selling. Why on Earth would Marvel say "let's stop doing the one thing that works for us on a regular basis so we can focus more effort on the things that only work twenty percent of the time on a good day"? Wouldn't that be kinda the stupidest loving business decision that they could make, one that would almost certainly see their Disney corporate overlords come in and say "yeah letting you guys do your own thing was nice and all but gently caress that noise, we're going to be giving you your marching orders now, nothing gets out the door without six months of focus testing and market research"?

I mean, I get frustrated with event comics as much as the next guy, but the company does still exist to make money, y'know?

(E: upon rereading this comes off as a little snippy, I now realize; I'm not trying to snipe at you, twistedmentat, it's just that the whole environment around comics these days frustrates me)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Hickman gave us "party at the club with AIM agents and then recruit them to be double agents because I have all the money" Roberto DaCosta, which says to me that he should be writing all the X-Books.

Alas.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'm holding out for a deaged Tony and them casting Adam Brody.

They could go full-on The Crossing and cast Grant Gustin.

....I'm not sure if I hate that idea or not, actually...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Guys.

Carnage was actually a really good book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

Oh dont get me wrong i have faith in ewing to write something good, i just have no faith in editorial mandate to hand down good directives for inhumans at this point

The editorial mandate for Contest of Champions was "write a tie-in comic for this iPad game" and Ewing managed to make something incredible, so I don't see why he couldn't do the same for Royals.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

Its weird cuz i swear i said in the post that you're quoting that i said i think Ewing can write a good story. not to mention no one actually gave a poo poo about contest of champions (even though, yes it was a fun book) since it had no ramifications on anything whatsoever (except a mention of iso-8 in ultimates 1 and thats it)

But editorial brought us ivx and so far not exactly excellent???

Oh, don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from. I'm just saying that it's hard for me, at least, to get too worked up over Bad Editorial Mandates when Ewing has a track record of writing really good stories, editorial mandates be damned. Hell, his first (I think?) Marvel work was a loving Age of Ultron crossover, and it was really good, and anyone who can spin gold out of that particular pile of dung-covered straw is worth having some faith in, is all I'm saying.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Colossus made a bunch of abominations when he fused a bunch of crabs and whales together. The phoenix is not good for anybody, it makes ya crazy.

e: Like, even if you ignore the Avengers' totally rational argument of "Hey a proven threat of a flaming cosmic deathbird is coming for earth, let's move its predicted target away from earth" and say "Well Cyclops was right", the X-Men's reactions to getting the Phoenix Force include but are not limited to:
  • Namor floods Wakanda
  • Colossus makes the aforementioned crab-whales
  • Colossus and Magik nearly kill Spider-Man for... I forget, trying to help other Avengers escape their wrath?
  • Magik sends a bunch of Avengers to Limbo or some other hell dimension
  • Emma Frost dismantles a reprogrammed Sentinel who was a lonely boy's friend because it used to be a bad Sentinel
  • Cyclops backstabs Emma and knocks her out to get that sweet Phoenix juice
  • Cyclops kills Professor X when Xavier says "Hey you're gettin a little nutty"

Also gently caress it I'm not trying to defend the Inhumans anymore, IvX is a poorly written event, but they have good comics and if liking a comic with mah boy Reader is wrong then baby I don't want to be right.

It's worth noting that none of the Phoenix Five would have gotten any cool Phoenix Crazy Powers at all had the Avengers not tried to shoot the giant flaming deathbird with an anti-Phoenix gun they invented.

Like, yes, the Phoenix made the X-Men do really stupid poo poo but not before the Avengers broke it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Everyone please read Unstoppable Wasp because it is a lovely book and it made me smile a lot today so go buy it please and thank you.

Preemptively seconding, thirding, and fourthing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wanderer posted:

You know what ended up being surprisingly good? Carnage.

It's basically symbiote-flavored Tomb of Dracula and I was into it, especially once Gerry Conway started dusting off old characters like Victoria Montesi. That's a deep dive.

Told you!

In the end notes Conway explicitly says the book was Tomb of Dracula Without Dracula. It was beautiful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Onmi posted:

Why do you hate comic books?

Years of reading them, mostly

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Not with that attitude.

Dude, it's The Captain, what kind of an attitude did you think he'd have?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

quote:

The book sounds almost like a “back to basics” approach for Spider-Man. What do you think are the basic, essential components of the character?
He’s misunderstood and underestimated, either as Pete or Spider-Man. He’s the mascot for New York City, and, like a sports mascot, that means he’s beloved by children and endured by adults. He’s the only street-level superhero who could beat a herald of Galactus in a fight. He feels things stronger than any other hero and covers that up with jokes. He’s Spider-Man!

So, so psyched.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lobok posted:

I've never been a fan of the "makes jokes as a defence mechanism" thing but "he feels things stronger than any other hero" sounds really spot-on. I've never thought about him like that.

Yeah, that's the line that sold me. I am a fan of the "makes jokes as a defense mechanism" thing, but that's because I do that; "he feels things stronger than any other hero" is maybe the most succinct view of Spider-Man I've ever read. It's perfect.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lobok posted:

Just to be clear, Spider-Man does often make jokes when he's scared or uncomfortable but I don't think that's why he's doing it all the time. If you have to explain his sense of humour (which is kind of a weird thing to do) I would put "he's a cornball" as the overall explanation with "trying to goad his enemies" or "dealing with his fear" as situational. Like Peter is a guy who wisecracks in general and it gets amped up tenfold when he puts on his mask.

But it's not a hill I'm gonna die on because covering up his feelings with jokes is pretty much the accepted wisdom for the characterization and the difference between that and my interpretation doesn't actually make for radically different stories when all is said and done anyways. The reason for why he's telling jokes is far less important than the style of jokes he tells because that is different among writers. The infamous Kingpin fat jokes in Ultimate for example, never rang true for me.

There was an issue back when I was younger where Spider-Man and the Punisher were fighting drug smuggling US military officers or some poo poo, I barely remember. I think Erik Larsen did the art. It was a long while ago, is what I'm saying. But there was a line in there that always stuck in my head, where Frank Castle is all "you joke too much" and Spider-Man tells him, "If I didn't laugh, I'd have to cry."

That really rang true for Teenaged Me - not so much jokes as defense, though there's an element of that, but jokes as conscious choice. Spider-Man jokes to cover up his feelings, it's true, but he also does it as a deliberate refusal to despair. And that's important when his character is basically defined by "terrible poo poo happens to him, like, all the time;" that's what they're talking about when people say "Parker luck." Peter Parker is God's Chewtoy, and instead of getting the sniffles about that, he makes cornball jokes instead.

I find that sort of awesome, personally.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rocket Raccoon in a heist story with the Technet oh my god I never knew how much I wanted this in my life

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

What if you give the hulk Mjolnir, though? We need to figure out what the best combination with hulks would be.

Captain Universe Hulk.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

Was this around when Angel's blood got healing properties and secondary mutations became a thing and some bad guys wanted to make Nightcrawler the Pope?

Point of order: secondary mutations were a thing since Grant Morrison.

....because he was told he couldn't use Colossus so he decided to give Emma Frost the ability to turn into diamonds instead.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Most murderteams traditionally have one non-murdery (or at least murdery-but-with-regrets) member to stand around and look judgmental about all the murder.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

redbackground posted:

Is this new Kingpin comic any good?

It... has the potential to be good, I think? It's still very much in the "setting things up" stage, with the kind of slow, steady build that makes for a good noir-esque story, but that means it's still a little early to know if it's going to be awesome or if it's going to fall on its face. I'm enjoying it, at any rate.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

The stakes in Ms Marvel are kinda uneven.
"You have to betray your friends at SHIELD and upload this super complex virus onto their database, effectively compromising the security of the whole internet. If you don't do it, I will force your classmate to come out of the closet!"
This isn't even some stupid threat which she immediately refuses. She's right there in the triscelion, virus in hand, before she decides that caving in to this blackmail might not be the best idea. I get that she is a emotional teenager who is usually way over her head, but she's awful at seeing the bigger picture.

How many teenagers do you know that aren't awful at seeing the bigger picture?

Like, in the universe?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

This is my bet, incidentally.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Come to think of it we might get really lucky (and piss off a light of right-wing dudes) if it's Josiah X.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

rantmo posted:

Or, perhaps, maybe consider keeping X-Man dead because he's just loving terribad.

He got brought back in New Mutants IIRC

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Definitely Swarm. Dude is a Nazi made of bees, I don't know what more you need to understand that he is the greatest of all supervillains.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Bees, unlike spiders, are universally your friend and wouldn't make for a good villain. I don't condone Marvel's libelous interpretation of them. 🐝

There are no Nazis made of spiders

checkmate

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

I hope it's obvious to everyone that the cold, calculated reason why a huge publishing company decides to support 'diversity' is so they have a shield which can block all criticism.

It is actually entirely non-obvious to anyone whose worldview isn't colored by stupidity, I hope this helps

Tell us how you used to be a Marvel zombie before you got redpilled I'm sure it will go over well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

The interpretation of the verse as not having Christian or Jewish leaders is the religious intolerance.

If only that interpretation was remotely accurate!

• Locked thread