Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I liked Deadpool before he became famous.

I just don't think starting a mercenary band/agency was a good move, it fills the book with a supporting cast that's way too big and not particularly endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Ideally the Merc business will be pushed into the spinoff entirely and the main series will continue on with Wade's search for answers/revenge. But to be fair, the previous run was doing similar things with a larger cast, he just hadn't gotten to Avengers fame yet.

True, he had a bigger cast pre-SW, but I just felt like that cast had more relevance to Deadpool and I could care about them easier than the assortment of miscellaneous characters that now work for Deadpool. But if they spin off into Mercs for Money and Deadpool stays all about Deadpool then I've got everything I wanted.

Aphrodite posted:

Captain Marvel is on a Wolverine number of teams.

Almost makes you think they're getting ready for a Captain Marvel movie or something :haw: (in 2019. We swear this time. Maybe.)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

I'm not. Most of the vocal Punisher fan base I've been exposed to would red pill out

I fail to see the problem.

quote:

and on the list of roles people want women to fill mass murderous psychopath is somewhere near the bottom.

Why not? Like, I don't think there needs to be a quota that literally every character needs a female equivalent (for example, we don't need another female symbiote character), but if Rachel's already an established character people like, why is her being a mass murdering psychopath a problem but Frank being one is just dandy?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Rucka's run was super boring and Rachel was a weak-rear end character. The best thing she did was get verbally smacked by Daredevil one time.

I freely admit I have read nothing at all with Punisher and have no idea who Rachel is other than "like Frank but a lady". I'm just saying "misogynistic Punisher fans won't like it" and "female mass murdering psychopath isn't really a great accomplishment for women in comics" aren't great reasons to get rid of the character.

Also RE: ANAD books we've dropped, I read a lot of series (probably around 15 currently) but I think a large part of why I'm reading so many is just that my DC reading list has been gutted lately. Even the returning books from pre-SW all feel like they've lost their grooves (with the exception of maybe Squirrel Girl). If I had to guess what my big problem is, it kinda feels like every book is grinding its gears until ANAD finishes setting up, i.e. we get the big event that every book will tie into.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

I would reverse this.

Captain America: Sam Wilson and Astonishing Ant-Man are both really dumb but people seem to like them. Black Knight, Guardians of Infinity, and Red Wolf might be really bad but I don't think anyone is actually reading them.

I haven't read BK or GoI, but Red Wolf just feels really disappointing. It's not an unholy abomination, but it's a really standard Western in modern day, and Red Wolf feels like a supporting character in his own book next to the two actual cops. As an attempt to reintroduce Red Wolf to the Marvel universe it fails to actually make him feel like a part of it, cornered off hin his own wacky small town policing adventure, and as a modern Western there's nothing really remarkable about it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Wanderer posted:

It does seem like Edmundson's plot would be better-suited to a novel or something than a comic. It's on a very slow boil, and while things happen, it isn't making a very efficient use of the monthly format. There's also nothing about his initial plotline that requires it to also involve time travel, at least at this point.

The time travel thing is what I think really kills it. Time travel happens all the time in the Marvel world. It can lead to a lot of wacky fun adventures. But in Red Wolf's case, it just slows down the story because Red keeps needing to learn about modern times, and the cops need to keep wondering what's up with the weird Native American dude. We know what happened to Red. We know there are plenty of people in the Marvel world who could figure out what's going on with him in seconds and know how to send him back/bring him up to speed on modern times. The slow pace you mention doesn't do the book any favors, but I feel like a slow pace plus time being wasted on Red Wolf getting used to modern times really makes the book feel like nothing happens.

quote:

I also have to wonder how much of the book's lack of success can be attributed to the pushback against Edmundson himself.

I would not be surprised if this figured into it. His Black Widow was good but Phil Noto was easily the star of that show, his Punisher (EDIT: From what I've heard, haven't read it personally beyond 2 issues) was weak and seeemed to think Punisher was just a straight up hero, and now he's working on a book with no big name hero or artist attached to it, and in the months between BW ending and now he's had more bad press come out about him (or at least people started noticing the stuff that came out about him from before). In general controversy doesn't really sink a comics creator, but in this case Edmundson I don't think was big enough to be immune to controversy before it hit.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 22, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'd say update the OP with every book but Karnak, which might legitimately be taking another 2 month break for all we know.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

You already have an avatar from the next book she's going to be in

I was about to say Vote Loki is just a one shot or mini, but according to news sources it's an ongoing book?

:psyduck: Loki running for president feels like it'd fill an arc or two at best, not an ongoing series.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Cael posted:

Did Hickman's final S.H.I.E.L.D. issue ever come out? Since most likely the answer to that is 'no', has there been ANY indication of when it will?

It will come out a week after Scarlet #8.

(IE no, we don't)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Scarlet #8 solicited for May?

I'll believe it when I see it :colbert:.

Yeah, it's on the May solicits along with issue #9. I'm skeptical either will come out but I guess that does kinda ruin my joke that we in fact do have some indication of when it will come out :v:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Books I enjoy; Ant-Man, All-New Wolverine, Angela, Daredevil, Hellcat, Mighty Thor, Old Man Logan, Power Man and Iron Fist, Silk, Scarlet Witch, Squirrel Girl, Vision. Basically, solo books and female leads or men who are working through a lot of personal issues. Or ignore both these points and just have great chemistry with your two leads.

Books I want to be better: A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, Spider-Gwen, Uncanny X-Men (for all four of these books; they need better artists/artists whose style I enjoy more), All-New X-Men (The Angel/Wolverine subplot is real bad) New Avengers (Felt like it had too big a cast for the writer to manage, but lately has been getting better about that)

Books with 1 issue out I liked: Black Widow, Mockingbird, Hyperion

I don't normally dislike team books that much. I don't what what it is about the ANAD teams v:v:v.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

It used to be Dwarf Fortress or Mount and Blade.

"I want a Space Empire Builder."
"You should play Mount and Blade"

My favorite Dwarf Fortress memory is seeing people recommend it as a great time killer, "5 minutes here and there" kind of game.

It's the greatest time killer!... With like an hour of prerequisite reading/watching before you play.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's most likely that Quill has a love interest in GotG2 and they need SYNERGY.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but that'd be a hell of a synergy Marvel has going if Venom, Thing, and Kitty are members of the GotG but the characters being introduced in GotG2 are nowhere to be seen, Nebula isn't around and isn't Gamora's sister, but Starlord's love interest is kept consistent.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They did completely change Peter's appearance, history and personality to match the film and you think changing who he dates is a bit much?

About half the current Guardians of the Galaxy are characters who aren't in the GotG movies, characters who are being added to the movies aren't around in comics, and there are so many other film characters whose comics status quo is totally out of sync with the films, but you think Peter's love life is the one place Marvel demands the comics and films stay in sync?

I can believe Marvel made a onetime change to Peter to make the movie and comics version more noticeably the same character but Marvel hasn't been keeping the film and comics in sync too closely for any other characters in the Marvel movies.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Kaleidoscope posted:

This guy gets it. Is she still a vampire raising a kid?

She was still a vampire in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. The kid on the other hand, :iiam: probably never coming back.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I wonder if audiobooks for comics exist. Like how on Daredevil there's that audio mode for blind people that describes the scenes of the show audibly. I'd imagine comics are niche enough that there's probably way too little demand for that, but I hadn't really thought about how blind people could read comics and I'm just realizing the answer is probably "they can't".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

zoux posted:

Should I be psyched about a Lemire Moon Knight?

While I don't like his Extraordinary X-Men, his work on solo characters has been good and I can see some loose thematic similarities between OML and Moon Knight.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Absolutely loving New Avengers and Vision. For...reeeally different reasons, of course.

I'm starting to find Scarlet Witch kinda blah when it's not actively annoying. Robinson feels like he's going for a Gaiman thing but it's completely heavy-handed and lacking in any nuance. Worse, I'm not sure if he realizes that by really forcing the idea of Wanda being persecuted as a witch, he's just making it seem like she's being oversensitive to completely innocuous people. On the first page of issue five a priest goes "Geez, it's strange to be accepting help from a pagan" or something and Wanda's like ":smugjones: I'll try not to be insulted" and it's like, dafuq? Chillax, lady, that wasn't an insult!

Later she and a nun are like "Lol old priets just don't like powerful women amirite? and it's just...what. The priest barely got two words in before you two started getting fake-offended. This is not how you depict discrimination, Robinson! Unless the offending party actually does something discriminating, it just comes across like the recipient is oversensitive! It reminds of those exchanges where someone's like "Man I love snow" and someone else goes "What do mean you hate black people??"

Yeah, Scarlet Witch has dropped pretty fast from "must read every week" to I'll get it if it's a light week. Also, I think witch discrimination might actually be a worse metaphor for discrimination than mutants. Having Dillon draw one issue really helped kill the flow for me, I just couldn't read it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm mostly into Strange for the art. The writing's not bad, it's just not really good enough that I'd pay $4 an issue for it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Tony Stark for President?

When Tony becomes president, he's going to build a wall around Earth, make the Kree pay for it, and he's going to deport Captain Marvel and all the Inhumans back to space.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

And I hope they last more than 12 issues.

The sales numbers on them as far as we can tell aren't that bad. Uncanny is solid, All-New is on the lower end but not cancellation territory yet.

Plus cancelling Uncanny and All-New would basically mean Marvel would have to stop doing any major Inhumans things in the Marvel world on account of there being no Inhumans books to tie the Inhumans goingons together.

That said though I'm not a fan of either series so if they went away and maybe lead to other Inhumans books launching instead or if Marvel changed creative teams on them I wouldn't mind.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I finally got around to reading this week's Avengers Standoff, and I'm totally ignorant of the SHIELD agents outside of the really major ones like Fury, Hill, Coulson, etc but is Kincaid a character we're supposed to know? Either way I don't really care about her becoming Quasar but I'm just curious if she is a character people know and like and I'm just unaware of her, or if she just kinda showed up out of nowhere.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

New character

I assumed since Marvel had that promotional image teasing the new Quasar there might be some significance to who the new Quasar is, but all my googling for Kincaid and Marvel only turned up Mercury.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

Is Squadron Supreme any good?

I thought it had promise but was killed by a trip to Weirdworld which I have rapidly gone from loving to absolutely not giving one poo poo about. The latest issue has nothing to do with Weirdworld so it might pick up again but that remains to be seen.

Also, just read this week's Dr Strange; did Jason Aaron forget Magik is a mutant? There's two distinct occasions where her teleportation mutation would have been real helpful but nobody even addresses why she can't use it for some reason. Was there a line I missed where someone explained why it doesn't work?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gymer posted:

Not that I recall off the top of my head, but Magik's teleport routes her through Limbo, a realm of nearly pure magic, so that might be interfering.

Ahh, right, Nightcrawler's works the same way iirc. That raises the question of what's going on with the EXM since they moved the school into Limbo so if travel between Limbo and Earth is messed up that should mean they're stuck in Limbo/on Earth, but EXM is doing time travel Apocalypse stuff right now anyway so that's a moot point.

You've earned your no prize :v:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks for the reply, what's Weirdworld like?

PaybackJack posted:

Then they went to Weirdworld where they had a completely pointless and boring [adventure]

For the record, this is my feeling on every Weirdworld excursion post-Secret Wars; "and then the team takes a break from whatever momentum the story was building up to go instead have pointless adventures in Weirdworld that don't really use the setting for anything interesting". Or in the case of Black Knight and Weirdworld itself, just fail to use Weirdworld for anything interesting but all the time.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

We haven't had anything definitely ruling out the Magik currently around is the Siege Magik, but yeah I doubt it will turn out to be the same Magik unless Kieron Gillen or Marguerite Bennett start writing X-Men.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I believe that Leah actually expressly notes that "her" Illyana is lost in the final issue of Angela.

She mentions she spent three years searching but couldn't find her. I read that as Leah saying she couldn't find Magik at all (with the X-Men isolating themselves in Limbo and all), not that she had found Magik and seen that she wasn't the same Magik as from Siege.

I'm probably being dense though :downs:. Plus even if I were somehow right, I can't imagine it'd ever coming up unless Bennett or Gillen suddenly become writers for an X-Men team book/Magik solo book.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of Widow tie-ins, what's happening with that Red Widow character? I think her saw her make a background cameo in an issue of Ms. Marvel, but that's all. Did she die?

There was a YA novel Black Widow that partially starred Red Widow. I don't expect she'll make much of an appearance again in Black Widow any time soon but then again Waid did just use Maria Pym out of nowhere so I don't think we can say what random bits of continuity he won't use.

E:

Toxxupation posted:

I just read Original Sin: Thor and Loki. Is Angela as cool a character as she comes off in the mini? Is Angela: Asgard's Assassin worth reading?

So worth reading. Queen of Hel gets rough around the edges but Asgard's Assassin is very good.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Bendis just pulled her back into the Guardians, didn't he?

She will be a Guardians member again in future issues. She will also likely be in Vote Loki, whatever that is.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

In addition to everyone else's recommendations, Gwenpool and Black Panther are pretty early into their runs but are pretty good, A-Force, and New Avengers are good but suffer from weaker early issues. A-Force basically got good as of the last issue (new artist is amazing), and New Avengers as of issue 7 because I'm not a fan of Bagley's art. These series aren't bad before the points I mention, and I wouldn't recommend skipping ahead, but if you're not fond of the art, it gets better.

Also, X-Men '92 if you're into books that are cartoony as hell. I love it but it's worth mentioning it's cartoony.

Also, Deadpool but a) the first few issues I'm not fond of, it only gets real good starting on issue 8, and b) you may need to read a bit of the last Deadpool series; issues 8 through 19 specifically.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I've been hearing and seeing that everything that's not an X-book is great.

That's far from the truth. The team X-Books are a bit weak right now but X-Men '92, Old Man Logan, All New Wolverine, and Deadpool are all good. Uncanny X-Men has found an artist more unreadable than Land, but if it could maybe find one artist I could look at for 20+ pages it'd be good. Extraordinary needs a new artist too and a plot that isn't time travel or Weirdworld. All New just needs to figure out why it exists and pick a story to tell.

And if you want bad non-X-books, we got Agents of SHIELD, Starlord, Drax, Carnage, Web Warriors, International Iron Man (I'd argue Invincible Iron Man as well), and that's just books that haven't been canceled.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Spider-Gwen and Ms Marvel feel like they've lost their grooves in ANAD. They're not "ban this sick filth" bad but if you want to talk about books that dropped in quality between Marvel Now and ANAD, those two dropped harder than the X-Men line has I feel.

E:

JoshTheStampede posted:

Invincible Iron Man was great for like 5 issues until they switched artists and the second arc is kinda boring. I think it's just spinning wheels waiting for Civil War 2.

Yeah that's fair. It started out strong and actually got me to read an Iron Man book for more than an issue.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

IUG posted:

So was Illuminati 7 the last issue in the series? I know it's been on the chopping block for a while, but at least when All-New Hawkeye ended, the author wrote an afterword. This one just has the last page say "The End" and then some concept art.

Yup. Angela also ended on issue #7 with a big thank you afterword, but Illuminati seems like it's just ending on the concept art. Kinda sad, I get that it sold really badly but I still really liked what we got of it and was wondering if the writer/artist had anything to say.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

So of the currently cancelled series (Howling Commandos, Illuminati, Angela Queen of Hel, Hercules, Red Wolf, and Weirdworld), what's worth reading? Did any of them actually end their stories? Any gems hidden amongst them that got cancelled or do they all suck?

Weirdworld has amazing art, I mentioned I liked Illuminati (although its ending is a lot weaker than it begins), I loved every Angela book so if you like Asgard's Assassin and 1602 Witchhunter, Queen of Hel is good too (but it is the weakest of the Angela books imho).

I read Hercules and Red Wolf and neither really had anything redeeming to them. Hercules wasn't awful just kinda... there. Nothing remarkable about it to me. Red Wolf felt like a really weird book that sidelines its own protagonist hard and makes him incapable of doing anything on his own. Its pacing is slow, in a world where time travel is so normal the X-Men do it as a single plot arc it's frustrating to read a story where a dude travels through time and nobody can figure out what's up with him, and it just feels like a pretty standard Western story with a supporting cast that's equally unremarkable.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I would have loved if as soon as Red Wolf started talking about seeing a bright light before waking up in town and being confused at styrofoam coffee cups, everyone in town just went "Ohh, you're a time traveler, that makes so much sense! What year y'all from? We'll get you the appropriate brochure to get you ready for 2016." Just in-universe recognize time travel is such a common experience that even the residents of this random bumblefuck town can diagnose the signs of it and have brochures for it. It's not even that the scenes of Red Wolf being confused by modern stuff/modern people being confused by Red Wolf were that frequent, but just any time spent on scenes like that are frustrating to read when we know what happened to him and we know what happened to him is fairly mundane in the world of Marvel but nobody puts 2 and 2 together.

Those covers were amazing though. I wonder if Marvel's going to try to get Red Wolf onto some other book since he's one of the first characters we saw in the ANAD promo images, but I honestly can't think of a team that would have a spot for him outside of the Avengers books because all of the Avengers books are about "people who wouldn't normally work together, teaming up"

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

And Cap (Steve) is fighting him and Zemo, I believe, in the next arc.

The FCBD Steve: Captain America #0 basically outright said Red Skull's going to be his first major villain.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Over on Reddit its full meltdown mode like nobody has ever read a comic book before. I get not liking this idea for an arc but like half the posts in seeing are people declaring Marvel dead to them and cancelling Marvel Unlimited, convinced Marvel is making Steve a Nazi for good, and Marvel hates the white man.

On the other hand, it's reddit.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm still :psyduck:ing at the number of people I see freaking out about Marvel ruining Captain America with a retcon this big out of nowhere. Marvel is ruining all the white male characters because they hate them!

NICK SPENCER: "Hello Marvel, I, notorious white man Nick Spencer, have a plan for Captain Amerikkka! I will reveal that he was always a Nazi ever since day one. I will do this, because as a skeleton I hate the white man and wish to see him disappear from Marvel Comics. This change is irreversible, as I will sign a blood pact with gay satan to do it"

MARVEL: "HOLY poo poo SOLD I'LL JUST ASSUME THIS FITS 60+ YEARS OF CONTINUITY! KILL WHITEY!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Nobby posted:

It's almost like there's another Captain America right now who could get a good story out of this clearly temporary thing.

Yeah, even as a big Steve fan, I was worried that Steve coming back as Captain America would mean Sam's book would just lose all reason to exist. Steve being a secret HYDRA agent while Sam continues doing his regularly scheduled Captain America heroics gives both books a clear difference between eachother.

• Locked thread