Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Every single one of his gay characters are also problematic as they all seem to be sexual deviants

Pictured: Garth Ennis in 20 years:

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

Nobody's that bad. Except his son, maybe.

Jim Allister is worse. And Sammy Wilson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So outside of Mackie/Byrne after it gets rebooted there isn't really anything to avoid in the original run? just read the whole thing 'till it ends and hope that issues of the spin-off titles it connects to are also up?

David Michelinie's run is a bit of a mixed bag (though it was a really long one - second longest run on Amazing after Stan Lee until Dan Slott overtook him).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as important X-Men characters go, I think Moira MacTaggart has been dead for more years than Jean at this point.

Consecutively rather than cumulatively, of course.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So in anticipation of the deluge of requests, other than the current series, Hickman's New Avengers and the Oath, what are the essential Doctor Strange stories?

I assume Roger Stern's Doctor Strange must be good because he wrote it around the same time he was writing Spider-Man and Avengers, and those were both very good.

I believe Paul Smith drew a lot of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Cassandra Nova also caused him to wet himself once?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know we're gonna open up a portal to the Negative Zone and load it up with bad dudes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Joe Casey was originally on Uncanny at the same time as Morrison was on NXM - I haven't read it but I've heard it's reasonably well-regarded. He didn't get on with Marvel, from what I have heard, and was replaced by Chuck Austen.

Casey was a reasonably big name in the turn of the millennium era, wasn't he? He did Superman, he did Cable, he did Wildcats, he did Godland, but I don't believe he's done much that's very high profile in comics lately. I think that retelling of the Avengers origin story he did with Scott Kolins would be the last major Big Two work he did.

Of course, I suppose he's got all that Ben 10 merchandise money.

Speaking of Jurgens, I remember reading his Thor run and being really bothered by how Jake Olson's partner was explicitly seen nicking drugs from the hospital they worked at, selling drugs on the street and having an internal monologue about how he's going to pin his drug-dealing on Jake, then it turns out he was an undecover police officer. I felt as though Jurgens just forgot how the arc started when he got around to ending it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 18, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

A lot of them are confused as to how Anakin Skywalker AND Darth Vader can both be Luke's dad, leading at least one kid to earnestly ask me if Anakin and Vader are a gay couple, but kids know who Darth Vader is.

If you want to confuse them further, give them Marvel Star Wars Annual #1 from 1978, where Obi-Wan goes on an adventure during the Clone Wars with his two apprentices, Darth Vader and Luke's unnamed father.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Only as a sex offender.

Marvel's printing a paperback later this year which collects the "Trial of Gambit" storyline for X-Men, and it is probably a sign that I have read too many of Chris Sims's X-Men Episode Guides that (even though I know what that story's about) my reaction was, "Probably on trial for his sex offences."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I generally like the period that's sandwiched between OZT and Revolutions (so, the Kelly / Seagle / Davis era) but there was a lot of wasted potential in it. Joe Kelly and Steve Seagle have, I believe, talked about how they were hamstrung for a lot of their run by editorial mandates from Bob Harras, and Alan Davis, who'd been hired to pencil one of the books, ended up getting the job writing them both because Kelly and Seagle quit rather than put up with that.

Still, I really enjoy the Magneto War story arc, where the UN gives Magneto control over Genosha.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the original retcon / reveal actually stemmed from the fact that Magneto and Quicksilver had similar-looking hair.

So that's probably where Howard Mackie and John Byrne got the idea for Norman Osborn being related to the Sandman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

"The internet suddenly getting up in arms over Jewish issues" may seem inexplicable and out of the blue to you but, looking back, I can see that it's been coming for a while now and this is simply the dam-breaking straw or whatever.

I thought it was Ken Livingstone. :v:

Anyway, I wonder if Cap will be sharing any unsolicited opinions about Israel in the next issue. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 27, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Essential runs / arcs that have not been mentioned yet:

Fantastic Four by Walter Simonson (all of it - the second-best FF run after Lee/Kirby)

New Warriors by Fabian Nicieza / Mark Bagley / Darick Robertson

Hulk by Peter David (up as far as the Onslaught crossover)

Avengers by Roger Stern up as far as "Assault on Olympus"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic Four: The End has great Alan Davis art.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

He looks like that terrible Tron reject that hung out in Spider-man's book for a bit in the late 90s.

I'm gonna say... Cardiac?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

How's Young Avengers volume 1? I really like Hulkling and Wiccan and would like to see more of them. (I've read Gillen's YA and am caught up on New Avengers.)

Very much a "traditional" teen superhero team book - it is very similar to Geoff Johns's Teen Titans which ran contemporaneously, if that means anything (Heinberg and Johns were sharing a studio at the time the original Young Avengers came out).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Well sure if you want to make Cap gay even though in 75 years of stories there's never been any inclination he was gay, and in fact plenty of proof that he wasn't, sure go ahead. It doesn't make any sense. It's not like an Iceman situation where there were theories from fans for years that he might be. But the problem is, as pointed out when this this was trending on twitter or whatever, the whole campaign is completely disingenuous. It wasn't people wanting Cap to just be gay. It was people specifically wanting Cap and Bucky to be a couple. And not even based on the comics, just because of the movie. The same people would likely be just as mad if Cap was gay and not with Bucky. Because that's what they want in the movie.

They should give Cap a boyfriend, but it's the Red Skull. That would be a great twist. Nobody would see it coming!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Diet Poison posted:

I feel like the people who got really mad at the very suggestion of Hydra-Cap would tar and feather me for buying this issue when I saw it at a nerd rummage sale a couple weeks back. And if that wasn't enough, I also bought a Kim Mitchell album.

If they're that worked up over it, they should calm down and go for soda.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Another day another Marvel teaser with two wildly different characters. This time Solo and Jessica Jones. A lot of Deadpool's Merc squad are in these for some reason. I guess they're trying to give that book a push.

Solo lives.

And we all know what that means!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

I generally like Yost and it saddens me I haven't seen him attached to anything since his Secret Wars MODOK book.

Isn't he co-writing Thor 3?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

A Marvel movie like The Social Network would be cool. Simon and Ditko should get proper respects for Cap and Spider-Man, too. (Was Doctor Strange Kirby or Ditko? I don't remember)

I think Strange was all Ditko (though Stan scripted his first few appearances until Ditko took over at every level).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gwen Stefani never left No Doubt. :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It might be an interesting twist if Ulysses had a vision which revealed that Carol was going to be the cause of some nebulous catastrophe and she had to pre-arrest herself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Current favourite Silver Age Marvel nugget - when he had solo adventures in his hometown in suburban New York, the Human Torch had a secret identity, even though he was a major celebrity as a member of the Fantastic Four, so Stan handwaved it by having Sue explain to him that he kept acting like he had a secret identity so everyone in town decided to humour him.

I also enjoy that one early FF issue where Reed loses all their money on the stock market and they have to make it back by starring in a movie about themselves financed and produced by Namor, who used sunken treasure to buy a Hollywood studio.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Since when have they ever? Or this some like Englehardt-era story hook that hasn't mattered since the 70s?

I think it was the Michelinie / Layton / Shooter era in the late 1970s. The government revokes their various clearances until they make some changes, including cutting the official membership down to seven.

The only other time I think it was sort of an issue was near the start of the Busiek / Pérez run, but that was because they had too many Avengers to be practical.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Yeah all those French cartoons like Ulysses, Spartakus, and Cities of Gold had great music.

I like the Chris Colorado one.

One of those shows I remember they had on Toonami when it was a separate channel and was called CNX. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

"What if a perfectly ordinary, well-adjusted teenage girl from the real world who happened to be a huge comics fan stumbled into the 616 and decided to be a superhero."

does not compute

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except Busiek pitched it to Marvel and Marvel ran with it. You're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't even think he properly pitched it - I think he suggested it to Layton when they were sharing a hotel room or something, then about five years later when Layton was writing the first issue of X-Factor, he went ahead and used Busiek's idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon Marvel's equivalent to DC Rebirth would probably be something like Miracleman showing up in the main universe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Civil War II like Civil War I in the sense that the tie-ins are going out of their way to make one side look worse, but the main title looks more neutral about it? (I've not been following CWII.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Viridiant posted:

No, the only title that makes Carol look better is her own.

Then it is indeed odd that they gave her this big push then made her the bad guy.

I think it would actually make a lot more sense if the positions were reversed, but I guess that wasn't on the cards since the last Civil War wrecked Tony for years afterward.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

The O stands for InhumOns.

The Ferengi are in it too?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metalshark posted:

I really want a Songbird solo series. I don't exactly know what it would entail but I've almost finished reading through Thunderbolts (and I'm loving Ewing's New Avengers) and I really, really like Melissa. Maybe she'll join another Avengers team if she's not going to be in US Avengers? Or just go solo hero on her own for the first time?
I hope she doesn't end up in the current Thunderbolts run though. It's so boring, shows no sign of there being any interesting relationships continuing/developing and the art is really bad. It looks half finished most of the time and is super bland with drab backgrounds and uninspired action. The colourist is trying to bring that classic late 90s T-Bolts feel, but it can't save the the linework.

EDIT: I'm thinking that Joelle Jones paired with Kelly Thompson or Marjorie Liu would be perfect.

Have you read Avengers Forever? A lot of people dislike it because it's really, really continuity-heavy, but Songbird is a main character in it; probably her most important appearance outside of Thunderbolts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metalshark posted:

I've heard of it and knew she was in it, but Thunderbolts is basically the earliest series I've read so I might struggle if it's based on 90s Avengers happenings since the earliest series I've read off the top of my head are Daredevil from Smith/Quesada onward, Ultimate Spider-Man (which doesn't even apply to 616!) and Runaways. I basically started with Marvel from around Civil War since I'm not so into older superhero comics generally.
I've picked up a lot of comics history reading CSBG articles on CBR and other forms of osmosis but 90s Avengers is probably my weakest area of Marvel history, thinking about it.

Avengers Forever explores pretty much their entire history from the 1960s onward, but the 1990s do play a fairly significant role because part of what Busiek was doing with the book was untangling some of the knots Avengers continuity had tied itself up in, and many of those came from the Bob Harras era in the 1990s. I can definitely understand why some readers really dislike it.

Nonetheless, I read it with almost zero knowledge of Avengers history, and I enjoyed it well enough. Maybe that's because I read it when I was just getting into superhero comics so I'd take what I could get.

Have you read New Thunderbolts?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe there is actually an episode of Jay & Miles which is dedicated completely to x-plaining the early Bronze Age solo adventures of Beast, although curiously enough, I don't think either Jay or Miles actually appears on said episode at all!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dario the Wop posted:

Thanks for correcting me. I honestly associated the Legacy Virus with the '90s so I thought he'd been dead a few years. I also assumed that Morrison wouldn't read the previous era of X-Men comics.

What I've heard is that he read the Claremont and Byrne issues and virtually nothing else, which explain why he wrote Magneto the way he did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Uncanny X-Men #442-443: Chuck Austen writes a mop-up two-parter with Xavier and company taking Magneto back to Genosha to give him a "proper burial" and Polaris making a big Magneto/Xavier tribute statue and everyone basically going "man who knows what was up with Magneto and Wolverine is surely sad that he was forced to kill his buddy and that bad man who killed everyone in New York isn't THE MAGNETO WE ALL KNEW AND LOVED, but RIP Magneto"

Do you mean Magneto or Jean there? I remember that issue, and it has a bit where Wolverine tries to trash the giant Magneto statue they've built (which was essentially the giant statue of Bender they built in that one Futurama episode where Bender becomes a pharaoh) and rants about how Magneto was a bully, a murderer and a terrorist and how he had no respect for Magneto and never will.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

I meant Magneto but I am probably misremembering and conflating things. I haven't revisited any of that immediately-post-Morrison mop-up stuff since it came out, and it all was dumb and made me mad over a decade ago. Wolverine's "aww bub Magneto ain't so bad bub" stuff may have been post-Xorn reveal or also potentially completely in my head or in some dumb annual back-up, who knows.

I think I might be mixing up issues. I believe there's one issue which takes place during Morrison's run after Magneto is seemingly killed but before Xorn appears, where they all go to Genosha and Polaris is there, the big Pharoah Bender statue of Magneto shows up broadcasting his last testament out into space. That sounds like the one you were talking about. Then there's another trip to Genosha for his funeral after the Planet X storyline, where Wolverine flips out about how much he hated Magneto, Polaris shows up again with Wanda and Pietro and reveals definitively that she is in fact Magneto's daughter. I reckon the latter must have been a Chuck Austen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that looks about right.

• Locked thread