Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait, they're cancelling Abnett's bad Hercules run and then giving him a miniseries to continue to write Hercules badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

I loving hate it so much. They promised us at the retailer summit that the black costume had a real purpose, that Peter put it on because he knew he was going to kill the person who tried to kill May. And then they change it to "Oh he's wearing black because he's in mourning except she didn't die but it's okay you totally mourn people before they die it's totally natural."

And then he fights the Kingpin in the middle of a cellblock with no shirt.

To be fair, the fight where he kicks the complete and total poo poo out of Kingpin was awesome. Also it did end with him saying 'I AM going to kill you, but only when May actually dies.' Of course, then Satan intervened. I've seen people say that if not for OMD, Back In Black was the setup for Peter Parker's last stand from ASM 500.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 27, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

I didn't see a more appropriate thread in BSS or TVIV, but this ties into the comics so hopefully it's of interest:

Does anyone agree that Avengers Assemble has gotten surprisingly excellent in Season 3? I remember precious few good moments in the first two seasons, but they just had an episode that was Hawkeye does Die Hard in Avengers Tower vs the Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil (I wiki'd the Masters of Evil to check the various lineups and saw a note that this is Avengers Under Siege, presumably?) and they're building towards the Thunderbolts.

Guardians of the Galaxy has been better after the initial 10 episodes too, using Captain Victoria from the recent Legendary Star-Lord series and Ship/Rora in recent episodes to good effect. It's been quite interesting seeing them use various Cosmic stuff, even if it can be a bit disappointing (Mantis was pretty weird in her appearance) but the episodes are fun, even if the main storyline is a developing glacially.

Ultimate Spider-Man continues to be terrible in Season 4 (even with Scarlet Spider being solid), being all Spider-Man and no Peter, while also completely underutilising any of the numerous interesting supporting characters they've established.

I think you're looking for this thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also he seems to suggest he's sticking around for after the first 12 issues!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I second Contest of Champions being great. I'm definitely looking forward to where Ewing's going with this.

Although I think that response on the letters page was a teeny bit patronising.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 7, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muscles like this? posted:

Unfortunately for that idea Tom King signed an exclusivity deal with DC.

He's writing Batman, that's the same as Moon Knight, right? :downs:

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Bennett doing Rebirth Wonder Woman?

She got bumped for Rucka.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Thor stayed dead for what, 3 years? I'm hoping they don't puss out and keep original Logan dead for a long time. OML is selling really well so there's no need to bring him back.

And so is All-New Wolverine, right? Right? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

Up until the final page they established Gwenpool as, unlike Deadpool who's sort of a Shakespearean fourth-wall breaking actor (aka someone who respects the rules of the universe established even when he's aware he's in a comic and whose comments are basically asides to the camera (the audience)), someone who knows that she's a character and is in a comic book and her actions are directly influenced by that. So, like, even though she has no super powers of any kind or even any martial arts training she'll enter into clearly suicidal fights she's totally outnumbered in because, and this is her voiced reasoning, she's the hero of the comic, and heroes win, so the fact that she's completely outmatched doesn't matter. She's absolutely safe.

She acquires a hacker goon because she needs a sidekick, and because the comic so blatantly disrespects the fourth wall (he at one point flippantly mentions her "Truman Show thing"), it's clearly established to be one big goofer. She takes a merc job she has no business taking, some other dude kills everyone for her, and she quickly and easily pushes him into a portal to hell before taking all the credit.

Then on the final page MODOK shows up, telling her that she's now his main goon (replacing his previous goon that she killed), and to show he means business kills the hacker goon friend. Like, as in, she's holding the dude's skull in her hands as she's crushed by the overwhelming realization that her actions have consequences.

It's this weird really atonal beat after a comic all about how nothing matters because it's a comic.

It seems to me you kind of bought into Gwenpool's view of the world. It's meant to be weirdly atonal, because on some level she's supposed to be an audience surrogate (she's literally a Marvel fan dropped into the 616). She knew she was in a comic, but she rather misjudged what the tone of that comic was. Maybe she figured she was in a more consequence-free story - but she forget she's spun off from Deadpool, who is in the top 10 of 'comic characters with the shittiest lives'. Playing with our expectations makes total sense that way.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It just sucks that she's getting Bendis'd in Civil War 2: Electro Boogaloo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PaybackJack posted:

Such a badass team that was. Too bad the storyline was kind of terrible. I was hoping for more of them fighting Eternal level threats and not Magus cultists. It's like watching the Avengers beat up AIM for the 8 millionth time, do I really care? No, go fight Galactus.

Basically everything that's great about Al Ewing's Ultimates. Have him reform and write the Annihilators next.

And right after that he can relaunch Exiles.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Exiles already exists, it's just all Spider-Men and named Web-Warriors

Except it's also not as good, because it's just all Spider-Men, fighting Spider-Men bad guys. Also it's probably getting cancelled at issue 12.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"Exiles" is a funny way to spell "Agents of ATLAS." :colbert:

Them too.

Just let Al Ewing write whatever the hell he wants, Marvel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

It feels like Ewing is gonna be given the keys to the kingdom like Hickman was. Everything he writes is fantastic.
This is a Good Thing.

Jedi posted:

This makes me sad because I'm actually enjoying it. It's not perfect or mindblowingly good or anything like that, but it's solidly entertaining.
The thing is though, by making it specifically all about Spider-Men, you're inherently limiting the whole thing when you compare it to, say, Exiles. That was willing to harvest from all aspects of marvel continuity - Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four - and you had a mix of characters with different powers and skillsets. As opposed to the Web Warriors, who all have more-or-less the same powerset (and to a lesser extent the same skillset). It's just not as interesting. And it kind of illustrates a team of alternate-universe Spider-Men, in and of itself kind of has a limited shelf life, especially when there's already a bunch of different Spider-titles that all have the more popular Spider-folk. It's like that issue of Exiles with the team that was all Wolverines. Spider-Verse was a good idea (on paper, if not in execution) for a story with a fixed ending - but making an ongoing series? That's not really feasible.

Believe me, I wanted Web Warriors to be good and have some legs, I really did. If only to get something halfway decent for Spider-Girl out of Spider-Verse (other than the Frenz/Defalco stories - which let's be honest were bandaids).

I'm kind of wondering how Web Warriors is going to handle (Spider-Women/solicitation spoilers) Spider-Gwen losing her powers - is it even going to come up? That might be an issue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jedi posted:

I don't disagree with anything you've said. It does have a rather narrow focus, but I still enjoy it. I don't read very many superhero books these days, and that was one of the few I liked. If they rework it into a more general Exiles type book, I'd still enjoy it. I've always been a sucker for multiverse stories since Excalibur's Cross Time Caper from way back when.

What are your thoughts on Contest of Champions? Because that seems to be the other book doing multiverse stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

I love how Al Ewing answers typical questions in a way that is intriguing, yet humble, while showing off his wonderful grasp of Marvel history and and how he looks at it and uses it:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26075/declaring_civil_war_new_avengers?linkId=23841744

:allears:

twistedmentat posted:

Al Ewing is on the most recent Jay and Miles, along with G WIllow Wilson, Kris Anka and the guy who draws deadpool. It's pretty fantastic.

He also apparently helped them whip up the new cold open for the latest episode (about Nextwave - the cold open, not the episode).

Although I feel it would be remiss to point out that he talks about how nobody has ever timed their schemes to coincide with a big Hero vs. Hero fight, when Jeremy Briggs did that exact thing in Avengers Academy during Avengers vs. X-Men. Some days it feels like I'm the only person on the planet sad enough to remember that book existed.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 26, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nevvy Z posted:

I liked that books but it all got ruined by forced tie ins to event after event until nothing was left but that Arcade bullshit.

I dunno, they actually seemed to manage to do some good stuff with Fear Itself & Avengers vs. X-Men. I don't recall there being any other events they got tied in to.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So they're doing a liveblog about the new Steve Rogers cap book right now: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26080/captain_america_steve_rogers_live_blog

Edit: And it's over. I'll be honest, I'm still kind of skeptical.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 28, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PantsOptional posted:

Doctor Voodoo's brother killed her and they put up a statue of her at the Mansion.

The mansion which is now apparently a themed sex hotel (as of Standoff). Stay classy, Marvel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Heathen posted:

I loved the call out to Pym's first wife and, of course, her name is NotHope, but I frown at the Bucky and Black Widow stuff. Let the character breathe a little bit before you tie her into everything else.

Speaking of Widow tie-ins, what's happening with that Red Widow character? I think her saw her make a background cameo in an issue of Ms. Marvel, but that's all. Did she die?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I know people are probably going to yell at me for bringing it up, but Spider-Girl/MC2 did the worldbuilding a whole lot better than Spider-Gwen does. I wonder if part of that is because Gwen's origins are explicitly rooted in a multiversal story and as such are tied directly to comparison to the 616. Whereas Spider-Girl came to be as, originally just a one-off in an issue if What If, at their weird point where they didn't have the 'question' in the title any more and got a bit more abstract showing the differences from mainstream continuity. They left some interesting changes (the new line-ups of Avengers & X-MenPeople, the fact Daredevil was killed) and otherwise just focused on developing the lead. Edge of Spider-Verse 2 largely did the same thing, but Spider-UK shows up on the last page and ruins everything.

I want to read the Spider-Gwen books where he didn't. Where Gwen isn't constantly comparing herself to the 616 (when she's not visiting it every other issue), and the writers don't feel the need to repeatedly bring up every single difference and explain it to us. She's not Spider-Gwen - she's the Spider-Woman of Earth-65.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Old Man Logan and E For Extinction were my favorite tie-ins. Especially E and especially for the art!

Also

I wish this Tsum Tsum thing was an actual crossover and not just covers.

:allears:

I'm on board with this.

Edit: Apparently there's a Tsum Tsum miniseries where they actually wind up in the Marvel universe coming down the pipe. I can't wait.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 16, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endless Mike posted:

Hercules actively insulted readers for enjoying the Pak's Incredible Hercule, so if you enjoyed that, this is probably not for you.

Isn't All-New, All-Serious Hercules hemorrhaging readers? Seems like a bit of sour grapes, if you ask me.

Also didn't Pak's run have Herc save the universe during the Chaos War? It's not like he didn't step up to save the day when it called for it.

Ferrule posted:

Red Wolf would be great if Timothy Truman was on it.

Isn't that the book with that really conservative guy who wrapped up his Punisher run by having him fight ISIS?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JoshTheStampede posted:

Id like it to be an excuse to bring back Blink. Or Lucy in the Sky.

They can't use Blink! She's integral to the Exiles! There'll be a reboot any second now, you'll see!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aside from my long-established antipathy for books that I think are Doing Spider-Girl Wrong, the fact that it stands in the way of an Exiles revival is why I hate Web Warriors.

Man, I wish Jeff Parker had gotten more than 6 issues on that relaunch. Thanks for ruining the brand, Chris Claremont.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it was right before SW. During that subpar Axis event, Scarlet Witch was running around being all evil so Magneto goes and gets Quicksilver and is like "we gotta stop your sister before she fuckin kills someone". Then at some point in the fight Mags yells something to the extent of "you're my daughter calm down!" and Wanda goes "Oh yeah well gently caress your whole bloodline old man" and throws a spell out there (was she gonna kill herself? I dunno) and nothing happens and Quicksilver is like "Hey I thought you said you were gonna gently caress up his whole bloodline but we're unaffected ohhhh I get it now"

Then later in Uncanny Avengers they find out they were both just High Evolutionary experiments.

Shouldn't that have done something to Polaris, then? Unless she's also no longer Magneto's daughter.

I prefer the view that evil Wanda rewrote reality just so she could literally go gently caress YOU YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Killing Xavier was the longest con in order to retroactively be proven right.

Also, this month's issue of Spider-man/Deadpool was incredible.

Yeah, I can't believe that editorial allowed Mephisto to show up and taunt Spider-Man over One More Day.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jiro posted:

Girl Captain America? OOOHH ooh, Spiderman Captain America!

Captain A-Gwen-ica?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

It is true that the Joe Q. era of blatantly lying in press releases about everything has gotten a bit old.
:agreed:

Luchacabra posted:

The one good thing about HydraCap for me, is that it hopefully explains some of Steve's actions in that FCBD issue. I wasn't a fan of him interrogating that guy with his laser shield, and I was really skeeved out by him declaring a War on Terror Hydra.

Is Spencer going to use it for that issue of Secret Avengers where Cap punches out NotSnowden?

Soonmot posted:

here, for trolling purposes.

EDIT: poo poo, didn't seem that big on facebook. Why doesn't image attach automatically timg things?

This isn't the Ruin the Moment thread! Nicely done, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

In less depressing Civil War news, Contest of Champions is the best book you're not reading.

In more depressing news, it's getting cancelled. I blame all of you. :argh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm actually wondering, now that I think about it, if they're planning to 'cancel' Contest of Champions, and then relaunch it with a #1 for Marvel NOW! The dates would sort of line up.

Avengers Arena got a sequel, dammit, so should this!

Actually speaking of Avengers Arena, I kind of wonder if they might actually revisit it (or were planning to), since it seems to be a recurring theme that shows up in the letters pages for Contest of Champions. I'd actually genuinely be looking forward to Ewing's take on that.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 2, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Of course, then Bendis starting writing X-Men and suddenly Cyclops Was Right all along.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrProsek posted:

I think the biggest thing I want to praise Tom Taylor for in writing All-New Wolverine is for writing Laura in a way where she's solidly not an emotionless murderbot like she used to be, but also still feels like she's the same person as that emotionless murderbot, just more mentally/emotionally healthy. Contrast that with Bendis and Hopeless, who feel like Laura just becomes a totally different person in their All-New X-Mens.

That and just looking at a lot of X-23's artwork/earlier costumes really made me think she was a dumb concept before actually reading stuff with her. Craig Kyle, Chris Yost, and Marjorie Liu all really did an amazing job on a character that should be garbage.

Also if you're listing X-23's less talented writers, honorable mentions to Joe Quesada for NYX/child prostitute funtimes.

Kyle & Yost are the ones who created her, you'd hope they could make her compelling.

Definitely agree on Taylor managing to walk the tightrope between taking Laura past her earlier voice while not turning her into a generic teen girl like she is in ANXM. The time gap was a good opportunity to get her off that same drat character treadmill she's been on for a while.

Kind of hope we get Jubilee or Gambit in the book sooner or later.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

Thor's a chick: the Original Sin crossover, followed up by volume 4 of Thor
Doom has his face: the last issue of the core Secret Wars book
Cap is old: the "Iron Nail" storyline in volume 6 of Captain America
Logan is dead: fittingly, the Death of Wolverine limited series. There's a bunch that leads up to it in Cornell's run on Wolverine but a lot of it's flatly irrelevant.
The X-Men are gone: mostly dealt with in Extraordinary, but that's a very skippable book
Parker Industries: the first eight issues or so of ASM after the ANAD relaunch. Basically Tony's broke, Reed's gone, and everyone thinks Hank Pym is dead, so Peter's company ended up benefiting from a power vacuum, and at the same time, the terrorist organization Zodiac invested heavily in the company as part of an Evil Plot.
Also re: Spider-Man: They seem to be hinting that the reason the Zodiac invested in them was because Otto as the Living Brain might have manipulated the Stock Market.

Toxxupation posted:

Okay this sounds loving incredible. Is it loving incredible?
Well, the Laura/Warren relationship can be justifiably interpreted as 'toxic' in it. I kind of dropped it early into its run. If you want Wolverine, get her solo book. But don't read both, because god drat there is no character consistency between the two books.

Then again, others have enjoyed it, so maybe it's just me. I think it depends on your Dennis Hopeless tolerance.

I have no frame as reference regarding the other team books (other than they killed off Elixir again).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nobby posted:

The only non-original characters Arena/Undercover maybe does well with are Hazmat and Cammi, and those are skeptical maybes.
Its kind of clear also he really, really, likes Dethlocket, to the point he put her in his Secret Wars House of M miniseries.

KittyEmpress posted:

You say that everyone is back eventually, but Mettle is still dead, and that is the worst thing.

Yeah, I realize not even 1% of comics fans care about him. :smith:
Him and Juston & his Sentinel are still raw wounds.

Metalshark posted:

I think it's disingenuous to say that people are silly for getting upset about character deaths in mainstream comics, since almost anything can be retconned, so the argument can be made that you shouldn't get excited about anything either. I don't want to seem hyper-dramatic on the internet with this argument, but One More Day, Cap's entire history (I know, I know) etc do show that very few things are sacred.
Regardless, surely it's a good thing that people care after all these years? I say this as someone who gets frustrated at the whining against more diverse legacy characters too.

That said, killing off a black character during Civil War again, while in the same issue resurrecting someone without even putting much effort in... comics are weird. I'm mostly concerned about Shulkie since she's amazing in Hellcat and A-Force, and her recent solo series owned. She'd be such a loss to them, but I'm confident she'll be fine and I hope that the next Hellcat issue is still fun, despite everything.

EDIT: Bring back Phyla-Vell!
The issue is usually when it's a lesser-known character who doesn't have many fans. Then you're basically screwed. Especially if the death itself was crap, or in a crap story. If a character gets a Gjallerbru moment, or a 'rot in hell, Max', that softens the blow, but if it's just to show that ~nobody is safe~ in your Hunger Games ripoff, then that's not a good thing. I mean were people really clamouring for Barry Allen or Kraven the Hunter or Harry Osborn back? Those guys all died in great stories. If you're going to kill a character off (and don't already have plans to bring them back), you should try and make it mean something, even if in story the death was seemingly senseless (like Doug Ramsey). Hell, we all knew Steve Rogers was coming back after Civil War eventually, but they still made use care.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

So I've spent the past couple days reading up on Teens in Crisis (Avengers Initiative/Academy, Young Avengers vol. 1 and all of BKV's Runaways).

Avengers Initiative was a loving mess but once past the first "season" or whatever (when the new class came on and Taskmaster was brought on as an instructor) the series dramatically improved in quality. It also helped that Initiative had tie-ins to events that made logical sense, so the Secret Invasion/Dark Reign/Siege tie-in issues were all really fantastic. Dark Reign, especially, changed the status quo of the series in a way that felt really intuitive and earned.

Academy was, start-to-finish, a fantastic series. It added new characters in a way that made total sense and everyone grew and changed at an organic rate, while the underlying mystery of the series - are these kids good or bad - was addressed in clever enough ways to constantly engage. I honestly wonder why Avengers Academy isn't just, like, an ongoing thing (mutant academy without all the baggage of the X-Men, basically), like an ongoing title that constantly introduces - and promotes - new teen hero characters. It's really kinda surprising. But yeah, fantastic series.

I liked YA volume 1 but to me it's vastly inferior to volume 2, which had a better and more interesting cast (Gillen's Loki is my single favorite Marvel character ever) and I really liked the setup for volume 2, with a constant overwhelming threat over a collection of smaller arcs that build loosely into an overall story. But yeah, even besides Loki I think Noh-Varr/America Chavez/Prodigy and collectively more interesting than Iron Lad/young Vision/Patriot. I also think Kate Bishop works as a better character after having gone through Fraction's Hawkeye which is the version that Gillen went with.

In general I just find volume 2 to be more cohesive and to use the flavor of Runaways that nobody besides Gillen was really using, the idea of a bunch of super-powered young people against the world.

Which brings me to Runaways. The standout of the the group, Vaughn's run on the book is a loving classic, 42 issues of pure quality from beginning to end. It's obviously a hugely influential book reading it even a decade-plus after it came out, and was a really engrossing book from start to finish. Old Lace rules. I wish that the later volumes were considered good because I still would love to read those characters doing their thing (although it's nice to finally see who the hell Nico Minoru on A-Force is or why Victor on Vision is such a big deal), but yeah, fantastic series.
Re: Avengers Academy, there was actually plans for a book that would be based around another school for young superhumans in the UK, called the Braddock Academy. There were plans for an arc when thered be a bunch of this different schools (including Avengers Academy & the Jean Grey School) meet up for some event, only Arcade would crash the party& pit the teens against each other, kind like he did in the Giant Size Avengers Academy special. Except Tom Breevoort took a look at this, and decided (since Hunger Games was blowing up) 'just make it about the deathmatch'. and that's how we got Avengers Arena. Which they then followed up with Avengers Undercover, which had sales that loving cratered. Fun fact: they actually put out a tie-in book to Infinity that had some the leftovers of Avengers Academy/Runaways, plus some Braddock Academy kids and some kids from new teen hero schools (including I think a Latverian school) who have to do Infinity stuff. I think it was called Infinity Hunt, or Infinity: the Hunt, I dunno, I don't think anybody read it (because this was right around when Undercover started, I think - so not only where several of the more popular cast reserved for that book, but Arena had thoroughly poisoned the well). Hickman had just taken over Avengers, and his Avengers Machine had no room for the Academy kids, so they just..stopped appearing in books. Bendis called dibs on X-23 and dragged her right back to the X-Men around the time of Undercover, ignoring a whole bunch of character development in the process. Avengers Academy was a failed experiment in Marvel's eyes. The only thing we have with that name now is that app game about the 'classic' avengers (plus Ms.Marvel & Loki) back in high school. You want the 'next generation' of superheroes? They're sharing a book with the big names in ANAD (or are literally younger versions of them over in ANXM). Academy was a good book, but it didn't sell well enough to appease the Editorial Gods and suffered for it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

It happens. Artists are so busy that they need references for characters they aren't currently drawing. The editor should have caught it, but eh.

It's no worse than when an artist put the wrong Hazmat in a comic.

Hey, remember when they said that the Imperfects were going to be big players in the Marvel Universe? Me neither.

There's actually some very good concepts there, that seems to actualy happen a fair bit in some of these games. I'd love to see someone do a The Twelve (JMS version)-esque thing where they get a bunch of characters they own the rights to and give them their miniseries. I mean, the X-Men Destiny leads were actually quite interesting, despite the game's otherwise garbage quality - you had Adrien Luca as a former Purifier coping with becoming the thing he hated the most, Aimi Yoshida (who they pretty much stated was supposed to be Sunfire's daughter), and Grant...well, okay he was just kind of there. But bringing the other two into continuity would allow them to add new characters (and let's be honest, they might as well be new characters as far as anyone else without breaking the rumoured 'no more mutants' rule.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

It doesn't count if it's Cyclops from before he started tangling up his family tree.

Considering the whole Cable/Stryfe/X-Man/Rachel Summers/Hope shenanigans, time travel counts. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

Farewell Contest of Champions, you were too good for this world.

:agreed:

Also, nice touch for Ewing to use Tony having had an Infinity Gem during the Civil War as how he 'stacked the deck' in his favour - I'd figured he'd done something, but I just figured he'd made a cosmic cube. Also he's kind of a dick to not use it to undo Stamford entirely, though. At least he met a karmic end.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, since Contest of Champions is over, that means that Ewing can write an Exiles book now, right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JoshTheStampede posted:

I remember reading the first two issues when it came out and dropping it for being boring, did it get a lot better?

Yes.

• Locked thread