Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Die Laughing posted:

Just his Mighty Avengers related stuff. The actual issues of Ultimates even gives you some recommend issues to better understand what's going on. The latest issue points you towards Gillen's Young Avengers and Secret Wars #9.

Also, unrelated to Ultimates, but his Loki run started decent but ended in a fantastic reflection and redefinition of the character. It's kinda been an under-the-radar character defining run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
And as someone who's only vaguely aware of Pak's Herc, it feels weird that a Marvel title is trying to step away from any fun/humorous bent when Deadpool, Rocket Raccoon, Ms Marvel, Howard the Duck, and Squirrel Girl are all titles that are selling fine and strongly.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Ah, I see you've played Axey-Hammy before.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Apparently, Lockjaw regurgitates a bunch of grenades, and two panels later, they go off in front of him.

However, between these two panels, is what looks like Lockjaw teleporting to safety. So unless next month he returns without a head, he's fine.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope once Apocalypse Wars is over, the All New X-men go to the Mall.

X-men need to go to the mall every so often. No matter what you thought about Bendis, he at least had the Uncanny X-men issues show Scotts team just hanging out and talking to each other, and even once all the girls went shopping.

I was looking at the Marvel Previews insert and I noticed at least 2 comics had "Has nothing to do with Civil War 2!" as one of its bullet points, reminded me when Next Wave did that during, I want to say fear itself?

Kay, but I've got some bad news for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCj2hRc_F6Y
This is what malls are now.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

-Blackadder- posted:

Quick question:

Who made it out alive from the Ultimate universe to 616 after Secret Wars? Is it just Miles Morales + his immediate friends & family and Evil Reed Richards? Are Ultimate Nick Fury, The Ultimates, and everyone else from that universe dead? Anyone else from any other alternate universes make it, aside from Old Man Logan?

You're forgetting the most important character of the Ultimate Universe, the entirety of the Triskeleton.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Wait, Punisher: The Purge isn't real?

It's so lazy that it practically writes itself!

How has it taken this long?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah but he messed up that body and became a frankenstein for a while

Stop spoiling Season 3.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Goddamn it, are they going to give every OG X-Men a title? The thing that segment of Marvel needs more than anything is less books, not more. At best, the franchise inherently deserve 2 books, 1 about whatever the main team is and their adventures, and 1 about the academy and the students. As is, having three similar books titled Extraordinary, Uncanny, and All-New doesn't give readers an explanation of what any of the three are about. And as of now, the only thing a book titled X-Men tells me is to stay the gently caress away.

They just need to reset status quo ASAP, clean the slate, and give each book a title that cleanly states the purpose of whatever team/group it's about. Ideal, one titled X-Men, and another called Xavier's.

And the fact that Avengers is starting to get into bullshit X-Men titling territory with Occupy, New, loving Uncanny, and just Avengers is not a good sign.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'D ALSO BE FINE WITH KRISTEN SCHAAL, BUT I'D RATHER THEY USE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE A SPOTLIGHT TO SOME UNKNOWN TALENT THAT COULD USE THE WORK!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
You know, I think the world would be a better place if a lot more people just deleted their twitter accounts. Leave it to the MRA assholes and white supremacists.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Rhyno posted:

Ghost Rider wears a skull on his head and he's a good guy!

It's a lot like black culture, the ones who are skulls are cool. The ones who co-opt it are assholes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well, she's a Comp-Sci student. She'll probably be 2, 3 years in by the time the game's released. I figure it wouldn't be that hard for her to just write a script to disconnect the controller/stop taking input and win by default.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hey, Medusa, Black Bolt, and their entire weird extended family can all be horrible monsters who make bad decisions to the cost of everyone around them, while keeping Lockjaw a pup who needs, requires, deserves, and gets hugs. No need to make a good boy a tragic figure.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well somebody hasn't come around to Goldballs. A character that I admittedly only like because of the knowingly stupid name, and the fact that he has only been very loosely characterized as Not A Dick.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Secret Empire will Renew Your Vows!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Pretty sure the event is pretty much the old heroes going "Good job kids/ladies/minorities, but it's time for us white guys, plus honorary white guy Carol Danvers, to take our place again as kings."

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Wolverine's trying to cover his #1 weakness, his lack of smashing in his day to day destruction.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Soonmot posted:

Words can hurt

Oh, sorry about that.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
To Soule's credit, he recently had published his She-Hulk run and Vision, two comics that are universally acclaimed on his writing alone. Plus, I hear he's actually pulling his Batman run around.

Edit: gently caress.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 12, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SMP posted:

Just caught up and finished Coates' first Black Panther arc. What's the general opinion of his work so far? I enjoyed it despite it's flaws. He definitely has a unique approach, coming from academia and non-fiction writing. I think he's got some great ideas for the genre and character, but his plotting can be a bit dull. It certainly wasn't a page turner like Hickman's take on the character was. For a supposed nation-wide rebellion, he showed very little of it outside of a few scuffles or referring to it off-screen. It felt a bit like something you'd write for a TV budget.

I also read the first arc of World of Wakanda and uh, well, maybe the new arc with the new writer will be better. I appreciate that Marvel hired a black woman to write a series (for the first time ever, iirc), but it wasn't that great. The art was pretty bad and the writing pretty dated. Thought balloons in the year of our lord 2017.

Regarding World of, yeah the story felt like an incongruitous mix of aping Coates grounded gravitas, and old school romance comics. While I don't take issue with the tone, the kinda regressive storytelling devices really takes you out of what's supposed to be a companion to a very modern and fairly intellectual comic.

And not to say that it was a bad story, I just thought the way it was told kinda dragged it down. And even though it uses thought bubbles, the most intimate characterization device, I never thought we had a good motivation for the two lead's romance.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Rhyno told me that that The Fascist Captain America was actually Uncle Ben in disguise.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's like Die Hard. The whole fascist regime was just a false flag to hide the conquest of Boliva. Of course Cap isn't a Nazi, just a tyrant in search of more land to rule.

Cue Sitcom cast laughing freeze frame.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Lol, bet that chuckle head doesn't think the female pronoun of dog is cat.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm not even reading it, but I kinda hope that the conclusion is "This all takes place in Steve's mind, and the series acted as a battleground for TrueSteve and FascistSteve to take control of Steve's mind. Just as FascistSteve is about to take over completely, TrueSteve prevails and takes back control over his mind. Just as he's about to launch the Nukes. The epilogue is Steve calling out his friends for not realising he was a Nazi Hydra."

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Is it possible that this event is Ike Perlmutter trying to Producers himself into a nice severance package?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Aphrodite posted:

Somehow many places have been rating Secret Empire highly, so no.

Hey, it didn't go right in The Producers either.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Cabbit posted:

"CABLE: The Newer Mutants" :allears:

I really like all the X stuff lately.

I will only read it if it can guarantee this is the Newest Mutants that there will ever be.

I want to open up the book, and the first story line is titled, "Cable Recruits and Army of Literal Babies".

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm starting to wonder that, for characters like Wasp, Marvel would be best abandoning their current market and look to other avenues. Maybe they'd just be better off doing Wasp as an ad supported webcomic or app.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hold on, let me catch you up on the last several months:

Work Friend Keven posted:

Got to say this comic book about captain America sucking off hitler sounds pretty bad.

Throw in a derail about Squirrel Girl and that's pretty much it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

TwoPair posted:

The very concept of The Crew just reminds me of that awful issue of... I think Sam Wilson Captain America during CW2 where they do War Machine's funeral and Sam says that he didn't want to be buried by his family or at Arlington National, but he wanted to be, quote, "with his family", and he walks into a room and a bunch of black superheroes are there, including loving Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury Jr., a person that I'm 99.9% sure had zero interaction with Rhodey ever, because I guess if you are considered a hero and are black in Marvel you're just automatically pals.

So I guess Nick Spencer set a precedent that other writers are just following :sigh:.

I like how being "with his family" implies that it's in exclusion to being buried with his family or at Arlington. It makes it sound like the black heroes are stuck together, lugging around the decaying corpse of their quote unquote friend. Speaking of, is The Crew shown to include a rotted dead body?

I also like the other implication that Rhodey wanted to be buried with the rest of the black heroes, even if the rest of them weren't dead. "Sorry we don't have any black representation on the Avengers. Tragedy struck when James Rhodes was killed in action. And as you know, in his will he wanted every black hero entombed with him like an ancient Egyptian Prince. And as a dead person, we have to respect his wishes. So in one fell swoop, the world was robbed of all of it's black heroes as we forced them to starve to death in an over stuffed crypt."

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Are they seriously bringing Hugh Jackman into the marvel universe? Logan was the hot poo poo, but we don't need that turned into a 12 year long storyline with guest appearance from Iron Man. In any case it's just going back to Laura in a year anyways, and good luck if anyone's going to use Hugh, outside of cannon fodder, for the next big event.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Edge & Christian posted:

Okay I was clearly overly flippant and I did not explain my actual question/confusion here so I'll try it one more time and I am asking this without trying to be a smug piece of poo poo gun rear end in a top hat fuckstick white knight piece of poo poo moron or whatever, but if that's the extent of this then fine.

1) Marvel is doing a custom industrial giveaway comic for a military contractor. They are accepting money to produce/co-sign propaganda for a military contractor.
2) Marvel has (for at least a decade) done custom industrial giveaway comics for the actual United States Military.

I am asking this sincerely, why do people think that one is exceptionally grosser than the other? Is it that they're making a big deal (inasmuch as they tweeted about it and did a panel?) that is making this extra bad? Were people not aware of the previous industrial comics? Like Blockhouse said, it's a lovely partnership but it feels incredibly non-unique to me and either you've made your peace with lovely capitalism and will continue to consume Marvel/DC/Disney/Warner/Fox properties with open eyes or you've checked out a long time ago.

I am genuinely not sure why this is the breaking point, and all of the responses being first gently caress THIS and later gently caress YOU didn't shed much light on this.

UPDATE: Okay I'll accept "because Trump and existential anxiety" and drop this line of questioning

I think it's just people are just generally against manufacturing Guns/Bombs/Whatever the hell these guys make. And generally what's supposed to be a high-ish profile comic that sends the message, 'These dudes do cool things', is just a hop-skip-jump from, 'Machines literally made to kill other people are rad.' And when a company's generally tries to project it's brand as meaning, 'Striving for the greater good, doing better for everyone, especially those that can't', and they partner with a group who partially represents a facet of America's unstoppable colonial force, generally going into less fortunate countries and trying to force a pro-American way of life rather than trying to settle peace (and shooting a bunch of brown people in the process), and the partnership comes across as both tone-deaf and tasteless. Or to put it more simply, Marvel at least tries to pay lip service towards being as just and heroic as it's heroes. When they partner with Death Machine manufacturers, especially at a height of their prosperity and popularity, and doing so that directly links their partnership with their creative works (even when they aren't directly integrated), it feels like a betrayal of the morals they've promoted in their works for the last several decades.

Now this is all in the most general terms. Marvel isn't purely about 'O-rah, Boy Scouts' heroes, they certainly haven't had a perfect PR record, and they certainly haven't even reached partial racial or gender equality. But after a year that's been defined by betraying core pillars of their company, being a significant lack of Fantastic Four, mistreatment of the X-Men, or turning Steve Rogers into a Nazi in order to shock the audience for a terrible story. Add a still significant gap in equality, as much as they pay lip service with Ta Nehisi Coates and Kelly Thompson, a general vibe of mistreating it's retail partners, and the biggest misstep with their 'Minority Heroes aren't working' debacle, and you have an unquestionable bad year for the company. And considering that the messaging for these events have been at best nonexistent, or at worst completely contradictory. It feels like no one is at the helm, keeping the ship straight, trying to make the best Marvel Comics possible. It's been a bad year, and it's getting even worse at how politically deaf this company is getting in an increasingly politicised year. People are tired of the world, and a lot of people are tired of their escapism reflecting the ignorance that's brought us here.

I don't think I'm going to outright stop buying any Marvel Comics. I enjoy Squirrel Girl too much to do that. However, this might be the point where I start culling down to the series I truly enjoy, rather than those I think are decent.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Cool, I'm going to use this opportunity to talk about cool poo poo I like for once. Like, how Disney has filed a patent for a ride that would "deliver an experience similar to what it would feel like to be with Tarzan or a similar character swinging between trees of a jungle on a vine or with Spider-Man or a similar character swinging on webs between buildings as you move down streets of a city."

When Disney announced they got Star Wars and Marvel, this was the poo poo I was most pumped for.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Wow, I did not realise that the partnership was supposed to include a limited issue comic that was supposed to be sold on stands.

And was advertised as kids friendly.

...Get hosed Perlmutter.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

twistedmentat posted:

I love Rogue, but Hate Gambit, but also love Kelly Thompsons work. I am stuck in a conundrum.

The last Gambit series by Asmus and Mann wasn't too bad. A lot of globehopping shenanigans and thievery happened. It certainly wasn't The Best™ comic at the time, but it was a cut above average. He's certainly a character that benefits from a good writer though.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Nilbop posted:

To me this looks like a Japanese fan boy who went to Japan, settled, married, lied about his name (but not, y'know, his work) to get a job and then gave a really, really cringeworthy interview where he invented a backstory for himself.

To some of you this looks like Japanese Get Out.

He lied about his name in a country where nationalized foreigners have to take a Japanaese name anyway, which is where me saying "He never claimed to be Japanese" came from. Should he have done it? No. Is this mish-mash story about him taking an interpreter to an interview and pretending that it's him that everyone has cobbled together probably true? I imagine not.

This is a stupid goddamned conversation and somehow I'm loving drawn to making comments on them.

Spoilers for Get Out. This literally is Get Out. He didn't steal the body of someone from Japan. What he did is he took that identity, what it is to be Japanese, and wore it like a hat. Like the Japanese identity is something you can wear like a coat. For millions, they will never be able to shed that identity. They will never be able to escape inane conversations about Godzilla or Nintendo or How cool Goku is or if you know Hiroshi or Anna Ng or Hey which country are you from or just outright being called Chinese or even Gook. For millions, that identity means that according to the ruling class, they will never be a part of America. The America which is ran by Rich White dudes. They may not be overtly oppressed, like blacks or latinos, but they aren't white. They're not visually similar to fellow, and more comforting, white people. So they are 'lesser', even if they aren't second class citizens.

And C.B. figures that with his Years in Japan, various Japanese friends and colleagues, and his Japanese kids, he's just as good as them. But being Japanese isn't an intellectual pursuit. Several years in a nation doesn't change your skin color. Marrying a Japanese woman doesn't mean you intrinsically understand the Japanese Society. All of the knowledge of their culture, their etiquette, their societal taste, all of it doesn't make up for that intrinsic understanding of the Japanese Nation. He will never understand what it's like to be born in that culture, to learn your first words in that language, to be taught how navigate society, to understand that world to your core because [i]that world was all you had.[i] Your first vacation out into the country side, the first vacation into the city, the first day of school, the first time being lost and on your own, the first time purchasing something, your first time making a friend, the first job you had, the first romance you had, you biggest triumph, your biggest failure. These all sound like they're universal, but how many of us on this forum can say that they experienced all of these experiences like the people of Japan do?

C.B., he will never have that because he's American. His first words were American, he grew up American, and the core of his identity is American. At best, he is an expert on Japan from the American PoV. He understands the nation from the ways that it is different from his own. At best, he is an Ally for the Japanese. At best, he is a part of the extended Japanese-American culture. And it is insulting that his years of studying the nation as an outsider, he considered himself just as good as a native of that nation. And it is in ignorance that he believes that. Ignorance of both culture and racial divide. Racism isn't hatred of race, it's ignorance of race. Ignorance can lead to hate, but even Get Out showed that ignorance also leads to admiration. That you can love the differences of the 'other' so much that you have to have them. And when you're a privileged white American, you believe you can do anything. So, he took that handle, wore it like a hat. Figured that his knowledge of Japan's differences from America is good enough to speak on a Nation's behalf in a widely publicised book. Took it off at the end of the day, feeling like he can go ahead and do anything if he puts his mind to it. He got all of the benefit, and none of the drawback.

And I will say, there certainly was a possibility of forgiveness. Acknowledgement that his actions were wrong, seeking forgiveness from the audience, and pledging to undo the damage he caused and continuing to seek better representation for people of color. But he didn't. He wants to just brush it away and continue his existence. A display of complete ignorance of both the nature of his discretion and of the realities of race in America. It's hard out there for people of color to get ahead, and he made it harder. Someone who could have told that story just as well, who isn't getting the same level of work because they aren't white. And he chose to do so, just for the sake of money.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Have you ever noticed E&C and Colin have never been in the same room together?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'll be frank, I'm surprised that Marvel didn't pronounce Spider-Gwen's world as the All-New Ultimate Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Lobok posted:

Logan's Canadian so she can be Wolverine and he can be Woulverine.

Alberta ain't French my friend. :clint: (but Canadian)

We're more wannabe confederate racists than French.

• Locked thread