Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The first part of the Squirrel Girl/Howard the Duck crossover is the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mockingbird was a lot of fun this week. I like that between it and Black Widow Marvel has an action thriller lady spy comic and an action comedy lady spy comic.

I also really enjoyed Ben Grimm: Orbital Bombardment in GotG :black101:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

You should read #6 anyway, though. And buy last month's Squirrel Girl to catch up beforehand. It has Kraven's airbrushed panel Kravan.

That's really why I read comic books.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

Ooooh. are we getting a new Quasar? I know I'm probably the only person that liked Quasar, but I hope so. When was the last time we saw the Quantum Bands?

I always liked Quasar because I thought his cloak looked cool with those stars in it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This month's Howard was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Zdarsky's take on Spider-Man is so good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Christ, I'm just going to ignore this Captain America bullshit and instead focus on how great Squirrel Girl was this week. I also really enjoyed Mockingbird.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Spider-Women has been loving great.

Along those lines, Spider-Woman was phenomenal. Rodriguez's art is just so good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

My biggest irrational problem with Civil War 2 was it showing Carol drinking.

It could have been sparkling grape juice in a champagne flute.

Although, when was the last time anybody referred to Carol's old baggage like the alcoholism?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Soonmot posted:

So Bendis just Bendis'd up Angela in this terrible Guardians book. I mean, yay for having Angela & Gamora: Murder Pals back but everything else was just ugh.

I thought about it, considered it, and having Murder Pals back is worth it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I have never and likely never will be able to summon the slightest bit of a care for the Inhumans

On the otherhand, Lockjaw. :3:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

SW might not work as baby's first Marvel, but if you have even a passing familiarity with the characters you can pick things up pretty quickly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Y'all liking Vote Loki?

I realized while I was halfway through it that I'm not sure I want to read political satire this year. Feels a little too much like real life.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The thing that gets me is that at the moment I don't get the sense that there are sides being formed. It's just Tony lashing out, and everyone else going settle down buddy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

In other news, Chip Zdarsky confirms Howard the Duck is ending with #11.

http://zdarsky.tumblr.com/post/146264751026/scienceninjaturtle-howard-the-duck-11-chip

I am distressed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Viridiant posted:

The latest Ms. Marvel is finally touching on the themes I was expecting when they first started pitching the idea for Civil War II. It's a little hosed that I'm getting that from one of the tie-ins rather than the main series, but oh well.

#CanadianNinjaLivesMatter

So far I've read Power Man & Iron Fist, Ms. marvel, and Gwenpool, with Ultimates left to go. And of those three my favorite might've been Gwenpool? It's somehow meta without being cheesy about it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

MRA/GG/Redpill shitheads will be making an issue out the next SG issue no doubt, they can't take a joke.

Mole Man going full m'lady(mole'lady?) was a good punchline. The page explaining his deal was equally fantastic

Mockingbird also continues to be great, of course Bobbi was dosing Clint with trace amounts of neurotoxin when they were married.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The current arc in Star Lord, which I am not reading, is apparently going into the details of their breakup.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

She also powered down Patsy Walker

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Abraham Riesman wrote a fantastic profile of Stan Lee for Vulture earlier this year.

quote:

And yet, Lee has no superhuman resistance to the aging process. “My eyesight has gotten terrible and I can’t read comic books anymore,” he recently told Britain’s Radio Times in a rare moment of departure from his usual cheerful, product-promoting talking points. "Not only a comic book, but I can’t read the newspaper or a novel or anything,” he said. “I miss reading 100 percent. It’s my biggest miss in the world. … It's awful to feel a thousand years old."
:smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

SilverSupernova posted:

Okay, seriously. How is her hair fitting in that.

Randy Moss managed it okay.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Circutron posted:

Ugh. I was enjoying the whole Carol and Alpha Flight team-up aspect of the book, and Agent Carter's writers were really making things work. Why'd they have to mess with the best she's been for a while now? :(

Are Fazekas and Butters still the writers now? I noticed the most recent issue was written by Ruth Fletcher Gage and Christos Gage.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

They started dating because Bendis has a crush on her.

And doesn't kitty have to date every dude named Peter?

Them dating was worth it because their SW mini was top tier

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Squirrel Girl.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I thought CWII 4 was the best of the run...right up until the last couple of panels.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

I haven't finished it yet but the ANAD Avengers annual #1 is a pretty nice distraction from the seriousness of Civil War 2.

The fanfic extravaganza was good, the only one I didn't care for was the Duck Amok She-Hulk.

And ANAD Avengers was the best sort of CW2 tie-in, one that had gently caress all to do with event.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I really liked having the one two punch of Black Widow and Mockingbird this week. Both spy stories, but one is Jason Bourne and the other is Burn Notice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The better question is why hasn't MODOK had a mohawk before this?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If Marvel ever does anything bad to Kamala's parents I will loving riot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

Mockingbird is slowly becoming my favorite comic.

It was so stupidly good this week. The footprint ID chart gag had me rolling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think you mean

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's real bad, but the most hilarious thing is that it's not drawn consistently between CW2 #5 and GotG #12, which are taking place mostly simultaneously.

Civil War

Guardians

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Viridiant posted:

In the new Captain Marvel, I don't understand why Carol is placing all of Alpha Flight under arrest. Her book was till now doing a pretty good job of making her look better, and especially earlier in this issue I was happy with the standards she was setting. But then she just went over the top again.

Her book does a good job of showing the pressure she's feeling, but are her actions are still pretty bogus. She's essentially priming Ulysses pump by feeding him information about the "bad people" isn't she? And she still trusts Ulysses's vision implicitly, which results in the blows in high orbit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

about to read Jessica Jones. Hopefully Bendis can rekindle that magic.

Resetting Jessica to zero is not the only way to write a solo comic about her :argh:

e: though the implication that randos from other universes got plopped into 616 when Franklin rebuilt the universe was both amusing and horrifying.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 5, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Oh man Mockingbird ends this week.

Boooooooooo, booooooooooooo :mad:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Metalshark posted:

Would the Marvel Now! relaunch timing have impacted Mockingbird? (i.e replace it with something they believe would sell more?)

That was what Cain implied on Twitter when she said the series was over.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Roger's going to be alright in Spider-Woman, right, right? :ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Renew Your Vows was almost exactly what I want from a continuation (of a sort) of pre-OMD Spider-Man. I can see a few potholes incoming, but other than that no complaints.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Carol Avenger of Massachusetts is wearing a Red Sox cap.

drat she's not. So are these supposed to based on where that character is from or just arbitrary location/character match ups?

Ben Grimm is representing Michigan. So there's a few arbitrary ones.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Even by her usual high standard Squirrel Girl was so good. I'd love to read "Ha Ha I'm Giant Man now: Screw you, all other physicists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not exactly sure why Minnesota gets Quake, but she seems like a pretty good hero to have. Certainly better than Montana or Missouri.

Didn't Agents of Shield say Cal was from Minnesota? Or relocate him to Minnesota or something?

• Locked thread