Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Die Laughing posted:

Ultimates is really good, and is probably the first attempt at a in universe explanation of Marvel time. It's practically Grant Morrison's Avengers, and I love it.

What does this mean? Is it some sort of meta-narrative about the so-called sliding timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way Doom's mask allows for him to eat pizza, so he doesn't see the need for it.

I'll have you know that the little slots in the mouthpiece of Doom's mask are precisely the dimension of a Totino's Pizza Roll.

In fact, that's the easiest way to tell if you are dealing with the real Doctor Doom. If the apertures are even the least bit off spec, that's a Doombot.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

The one good thing about HydraCap for me, is that it hopefully explains some of Steve's actions in that FCBD issue. I wasn't a fan of him interrogating that guy with his laser shield, and I was really skeeved out by him declaring a War on Terror Hydra.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

Bendis is actually doing a big arc with Miles where he wants to be known as just Spider-Man and he kinda hates that he's become the banner for black superheroes (in direct contrast to Sam Wilson who's very self-consciously and specifically an icon for black people), with the frustrations of feeling marginalized for being known as "black Spider-Man". The frustration is that he's a huge fan of Peter Parker's Spider-Man, so the naming is difficult when distinguishing.

How does this work out in the story itself?

I get the real-life, comic-selling reasons of using existing names, but at least with Wolverine and Thor it can be justified in universe. But with Miles, it 's sort of like, if you don't want to be known as "black Spider-Man", maybe don't steal someone else's code name.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

It depends on what canon you're going with, but 1610 Miles had a whole arc about how he got comfortable with the title after initial concerns. If you're going with 616 canon he literally met Spider-Man (Peter Parker) who said that he was totally fine with the name and, in fact, approved of it and then complimented his sweet outfit.

Right, I know the basics, I just question the merits of doing a story beat like that in a post Secret Wars universe.

In the 1610, Parker was dead and you've got that whole legacy/making it your own identity route to go down. Like Wally West Flash, or Laura Wolverine right now.
But in the current Marvel U, why should I care about Miles' angst about his superhero identity when he straight up cribbed it off of somebody else?

How does that play out? Is it all internal? Does he talk about it with his parents? The Avengers? I don't imagine Electro or JJJ or whomever even knows he is black (What does JJJ think about another Spider-Man running around, anyway?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Apparently two issues of the new Lockjaw book have come out, but no one seems to be talking about it? Seems like a bad sign. I was hoping to see some reactions before checking it out. It has D-Man. And the Savage Land. Still not a peep?

• Locked thread