Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This mostly reminds me how many Marvel books I'm not reading and how many I started but dropped.

I kinda feel like ANAD Marvel is the exact opposite of AN Marvel for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I started a bunch of books but the only ones I still care about are Vision and Karnak.
Let's see:

Invincible Iron Man
International Iron Man
Ms. Marvel
Vision
Black Widow
Doctor Strange
Power Man and Iron Fist
Howard the Duck
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!
Spider-Man
X-Men '92 (when it starts)
Karnak
Black Panther (when it starts)
Moon Knight (when it starts)

That's more than I thought, honestly, though a bunch of those have one issue so far, aren't actually out, or barely come out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm curious how long it takes for Karnak to get to six issues and then canceled.

Ellis just needs to stop working with all these slow artists! Just so many slow artists.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like all things X-Men, ESPECIALLY X-Men of that era, it builds on everything that came before. 17 issues isn't really a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superstring posted:

Goddamn, I didn't know blind people could use SA.

While I realize this was a joke, they totally can! I believe there was an A/T thread (or maybe just a thread diversion) awhile back with a blind person who posts/ed here. There's machines that hook up to your computer and output Braille for blind people to read. We even played with various formats to see what it could do. Spoiler text, for instance, just showed up as regular text to him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrProsek posted:

I wonder if audiobooks for comics exist. Like how on Daredevil there's that audio mode for blind people that describes the scenes of the show audibly.
Somehow this got turned on for an episode in the middle of the first season and I thought it was just a really really weird stylistic choice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Garbage" steak is still good for lots of things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

...I don't know how that post ended up here.
UMMMMM THANKS AWFUL.APP!?!??!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Part of it was also Carey's run and X-force!!

Is the Jurgen's cap run any good?

Casey's run was concurrent with Morrison. Carey's wasn't until a couple years later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Or they printed enough of #5 the first time around that it didn't need to go to reprints. Not everything is a big ol' conspiracy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Oh my god this goes all the way up to Endless Mike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

EAT BREAD KICK HEAD

EVERYONE LOVES THE BIG GUY

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kraven's been getting a lot of play lately. If I didn't know better, I'd think there was a new Spider-Man movie coming out shortly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman is the opposite of high-concept.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you never stayed in a regular hotel before?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrProsek posted:

The sales numbers on them as far as we can tell aren't that bad. Uncanny is solid, All-New is on the lower end but not cancellation territory yet.
I wouldn't wager that those are books selling disproportionately large numbers of digital copies, but yeah, their physical sales are pretty firmly in the safe zone.

Rhyno posted:

There's a very, very long fan fiction about it.
Only one?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The implication seems to be everything happened as we saw it right up until the final incursion and everything was reset at that point and the heroes won and there was no end of the universe as far as most observers are aware. Not unlike how the original Crisis was supposed to have happened. Granted, I haven't been reading the post-SW Avengers titles, so maybe Ultimates has brought up something else since it seems to be dealing with the fallout from SW.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Has Marvel more or less discarded the idea of continuity between books except when it comes to crossovers? The x-books seem to be aware of each other's general goings-on, and everyone is aware of Pleasant Hill and stuff when it's convenient, but you also have books like A-Force where Captain Marvel and Medusa, people who are involved in serious world-ending poo poo in their own books, or who are expressly out of the universe for months on end, are running around having lighthearted wacky adventures as if nothing is going on.

That's better than the alternative (being slavishly devoted to continuity and editorial decrees over good stories), but I was wondering if Marvel had made any sort of official decision about stuff like that. Or is it just a matter of A-Force's writer not clearing stuff with the Avengers office or whatever?
With few exceptions, I can't really remember the last time they ever really acknowledged each other's world-ending status quos. There was a point where Magneto was completely in control of New York in one comic while it has been turned into the Savage Land in another.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I read OML and I found it to be really good with amazing art. If you are reading his current book which is really good you should give it a try. If you like Morrisons New X-Men then you should give E is for Extinction a try. I read it and it was a fun miniseries/homage to Morrisons awesome run.

He said he read E for Extinction and didn't like it.

Anyway, of the SW minis I read, only Siege and Thors really fed into the main plot. There's some good ones in there, but few are what I'd call essential.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hercules actively insulted readers for enjoying the Pak's Incredible Hercule, so if you enjoyed that, this is probably not for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't All-New, All-Serious Hercules hemorrhaging readers?
Yes, that's why it was canceled.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, "actively insulting" was the wrong term, but it was pretty heavily distancing itself from prior versions of the character, and even ignoring that, the two issues I read just weren't very good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And as someone who's only vaguely aware of Pak's Herc, it feels weird that a Marvel title is trying to step away from any fun/humorous bent when Deadpool, Rocket Raccoon, Ms Marvel, Howard the Duck, and Squirrel Girl are all titles that are selling fine and strongly.
I don't think it was an editorial edict or anything, just what Abnett pitched and they decided to go with it. It's not like humorous Hercules sold particularly well, either, so I'm sure they felt it was worth a shot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Posting spoilers is fine as long as you put them in spoiler tags. The Rebirth spoilers got their own thread because it was becoming a whole big discussion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It would probably be more interesting if SHIELD hadn't been revealed as part of Hydra not too long ago. Like, who isn't Hydra by now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ferrule posted:

Sunspot. Because he's AIM.

BUT WHAT IF AIM IS HYDRA?

DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goffer posted:

Also the world and nearly every hero was obliterated and put back together by a child a few months ago, maybe a few things went awry during that process.

The last time said child brought back a bunch of heroes from non-existence they were all the iconic versions of themselves. I really doubt he would make Cap a Nazi.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please don't post BC links. Someone might be tempted to click them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Couldn't you just use transhumanist in that case.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes they frequently overlap.
They overlap but don't necessarily mean the same thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What do you mean "now"? That's barely ever been a thing other than during a short blip during the Morrison run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm still salty that the Cyclops solo book ended in a loving crossover. Thanks for reminding me of that, jerks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hulk The End is really good. X-Men The End is horrendous. I think those are the only ones I read.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Claremont was a fantastic plotter with a great sense for characters and their interactions. His dialog was very purple and of the time, but that's hardly something to deride him for. He was far from the worst offender (for lack of a better term). Largely it just didn't fit in well with where 90s comics were going.

When people refer to "Jim Lee X-Men," they're talking about the period where Lee was the main (but not only!) artist on the title. While not the writer, he still had plot and design input on the series. He created all the costume designs that were used in the cartoon (with the exception of Beast, I suppose).

As for Lee, he's tried some somewhat different styles. His work on Bloodshot was notably different than his other work, though that might be as much due to the heavy inking as anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

...where the gently caress is Tom even getting Avengers yaoi doujinshi?

Um, Glorious Nippon?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ultimate's popularity flared briefly, but other than USM never really did spectacularly well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Ultimate X-Men was hugely popular when it launched. And the first Ultimates series was a best seller. Mark Millar made his Marvel name on the Ultimate line.
Like I said: flared briefly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't claim they didn't do well or that it wasn't influential. I'm saying it was only for a short period of time.

That they've completely gotten rid of it an integrated the only truly successful portion into the main universe is pretty much all the proof needed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You also said that other than USM they never did spectacularly well which is what I took issue with. The two Ultimates books by Millar and UXM were massively successful.

I phrased it poorly!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

War of Kings was by far the worst part of that whole era of cosmic stuff. No one comes out remotely looking good other than Xavier for killing Vulcan and sparing us from more stories with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Steve Rogers got the super-soldier serum sucked out of him during an event I didn't read, aging him to his "true" age (somewhere in the mid-70s).
I know it's comics, but this doesn't make a goddamned ounce of sense. If the super-soldier serum has been keeping him young, removing it from his body shouldn't make him instantly old, he should just start aging normally. Never mind that he was in suspended animation for a good portion of those 70ish years, so those shouldn't count regardless unless there was extra magic or whatever involved in this. I didn't read it either, so that's probably exactly what it is.

• Locked thread