Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

I'd like to know which current Marvel book is very bad. Is there a Lobdell's Titans I'm missing amongst the ANAD books? Uncanny X-Men maybe? Anyone reading that?

Extraordinary X-Men is really bad. Uncanny is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ElNarez posted:

Also my impression was that he left Big Two comics because a) he could and b) they give a pass to way too many bona fide dirtbags and have yet to make up for years and years of nasty poo poo.

Or he was a lovely writer and they had no reason to keep him around because nobody bought his crappy books.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Is Ultimates any good? I'm kind of looking for another space team book (reading current guardians).

Yes, it is very good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, they're cancelling Abnett's bad Hercules run and then giving him a miniseries to continue to write Hercules badly?

It's probably a stealth cancellation. Instead of running the Civil War tie-in through the regular Herc book, they're putting it out as its own mini, and after that there probably won't be a Hercules book. Unless they want to try again and reboot with another number 1, which is possible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is Pleasant Hill all in crucial chapters? The only comic I'll be reading between the bookends will the Captain America, so I'll probably be lost at the end.

I'd say that yeah, you'll be lost if you don't at least read the Avengers books. So far I think it hasn't been too bad, but now that all the teams are meeting up it'll probably get jumbled together where you have to follow each chapter.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So in anticipation of the deluge of requests, other than the current series, Hickman's New Avengers and the Oath, what are the essential Doctor Strange stories?

Triumph and Torment.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Howard the Duck also had the backups where Gwenpool was introduced.

Howard the Duck is great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh my God. Today's Howard the Duck was the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

EAT BREAD KICK HEAD

How dare you! My less interesting, less powerful suit!

Case closed!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not crazy, by the way, right? The end of this week's New Avengers was a deliberate shout-out to Jay & Miles (of Xplaining the X-Men fame), right?

No, that's been a long-running joke for years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope this means Wendell retired and went and hooked up with Ikon.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

She showed up in this week's issue of Drax.

So you're the one person that reads it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

How could you not love the Kamala-golems storyline in Ms. Marvel :doom:

EASY PEASY

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Duggan is definitely building up something with the Red Skull. So I'm sure we'll have that story sometime later this year or next.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just put it in spoilers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh just found them.

Steve has been Hydra all along and was raised by his mom that way.

Marvel really challenging DC for dumbest poo poo published this week.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Superstring posted:

Hahahah what!? Are there leaked pages like Rebirth or is it still rumors?

There is a leaked picture on 4chan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Cap was evil all along, huh?

Chalk up another win for the Cyclops Was Right camp.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Someone give me money to start up the restaurants House of Mmm! and Gyros Reborn.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

At very least, these have to show up in the background of a splash page of Ms Marvel, now.
e: Or are they actually from there? poo poo, there's just so much to look at in that comic.

It was from Squirrel Girl this week!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

No seriously, why is Spider-man about to THWIP himself in the face on the cover of CW2 #1?

He's throwing up the horns. Maybe he's just representing Daredevil too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Oh Frigga, I forgot about that.

So I cannot wait to see the ANAD Avengers go up against Annhilius next issue.

Can't wait for Sam to rip Annihilus inside out, just like Rich.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wish Lockjaw was back in Ms. Marvel. They took him out and now he's not in any comics.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked how Inhuman went from focusing on Dante to ignoring him within, like six issues.

I don't remember his name, but that gumshoe Inhuman guy is Marvel's best character.

Frank McGee.

Frank McGee and Reader teaming up to solve a mystery was great. I really wish they'd focus more on them instead of Torch and Medusa.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Is avengers initiative/academy/arena/undercover good?

Academy is good. I didn't like Initiative since it's peak Dan Slott trying to be edgy. Arena and Undercover are both terrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Banner is going to die.

They're hyping a big thing happening in the next issue and I can't think of anything else.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SilverSupernova posted:

It's a Bendis-written event. If anyone's dying it's either Vision or Hawkeye.

Marvel is hyping the next issue with a midnight event and saying something really big happens in it. Those two dying wouldn't be that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't care what it takes, just so long as Laura hooks up with young Scott.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Everything Bendis and Breevort have said makes it sound like they are not planning to bring him back, they just don't want to say "he'll never come back" because they know some other writer may bring him back eventually.

They're hedging hard enough on She-Hulk that I'm sure she'll recover, plus having someone in a coma for several issues ending with "welp she died" is anticlimactic as hell - if she was going to die she'd have died.

Since I'm pretty sure Banner is going to die, that would probably mean She-Hulk is safe and will have more purpose after the event.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

How's the newest volume of New Warriors? I'm really digging Nova so far and I'd like to see him hanging with Justice/newly reformed Speedball.

It was good. Kaine and Aracely are the best.

I miss them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Infinity Carlet.

No ThanosCopter no buy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Friends of mine are going to SDCC because their Short Film, Arty, is in its film festival. The titular character is based on a combo of Kirby and Eisner, and features a Stan Lee like character that is discribed by my friend who plays him "a Schister that takes all the credit".

Wow how edgy and original.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I don't particularly believe that the idea of crediting writers for comics would never have existed without Stan Lee, sorry. He certainly deserves credit for what he did but "In the year 2016 all comics would be anonymously written, drawn and inked if not for Stan Lee" is laughable.

If it wasn't for Stan Lee, comic books likely don't even exist in 2016.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Champions is gonna be good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

I hope she takes the name Iron Man and keeps it after Stark comes back to the suit, like how Kate Bishop is Hawkeye.

Lady Iron Man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

How is CWII for someone who thinks the original is one of the worst comics ever published?

It's okay so far. The art is great!

But it seems like the real event hasn't even really started yet. Like people are mad, but it's not really that bad. But based on the rumors, that should change next issue.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

They got a pretty good team anyway, as evidenced by the fact Thanos dropped, and it's fully explicable that they might not have found more people in that timeframe. A-list superheroes tend to go off the grid now and again.

I've seen the scene in two or three books now and they've only had three hours or so in every one of them.

They had the Ultimates and some of A-Force. They had plenty of power, but what we saw was miscommunication. Having more people there wouldn't have solved that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Cripes, am I the only one here not bothering with CWII? After the good, crazy times of Secret Wars, I just don't care about whatever second rate event nonsense guys like Bendis poo poo out, I'm just sticking to my usual monthlies and putting up with the fallout/whatever they've shoehorned in from it in affected books. Speaking of, if they're killing off She-Hulk or whatever, I can really see that gelling well with Super Happy Funtime Pasty Walker...
:smith:

She-Hulk is probably gonna be fine.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If someone did try to block Children's Crusade from happening they should be hailed as a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Death of X revealed.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/07/marvels-death-x-mutants-inhuman
The most notable thing is that it's Aaron Kuder's first job since Greg Pak's Action Comics. He's amazing.

I bet we'll find out Scott didn't die after all!

• Locked thread