Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was organizing my unsorted comics that were sitting in piles into my boxes, and just the Secret Wars titles I picked up would fill about 75% of a short box.

I'm actually surprised how big the event was, but how generally over all was fairly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Angela gets a new series or gets put on an existing team. Maybe A force or even better joins Alpha Flight.

Though I would like to see her and Serah trying to deal with living in the normal world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

I was about to say Vote Loki is just a one shot or mini, but according to news sources it's an ongoing book?

:psyduck: Loki running for president feels like it'd fill an arc or two at best, not an ongoing series.

Oh weird I thought it was a one shot too. Well, that's good.

And Hellcat is just pure joy on the page. The tindr profiles were painfully accurate based on what my friends have shown me.

Oh and Ultimates has a Vote Loki at the bottom of one of the pages.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 24, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

Speaking of Ultimates, this issue was amazing in how Ewing dealt with time and how it slides in the Marvel Universe through Galactus. I love this book so much.

Yea. I was thinking today that its' the torch bearer for the crazy high level stuff that was prevalent in Secret Avengers. Even thought there is an Illuminati, I feel like the Ultimate are the heirs to the Stark/Richards/Xavier/etc Illuminati.

It's weird seeing Squirrel Girl not done in some crazy exaggerated way like by Henderson or whomever the artst on the first few New Avengers issues was.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 24, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh yea, I mean the idea of something dwarfing Galactus in such a way is amazing, and the idea there's something else even bigger its crazy.

Hah, I want to see Sunspot punch Godzilla, and I wonder what is up with Simmons chi being messed up. And Hawkeye is weed dad of the New Avengers.

Well crap ANAD Avengers, I knew starting off the book all happy and sunshine was going to go bad places.

Ah, AN Hawkeye, why are you so boring with stories that aren't interesting?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you like Squirrel Girl, i'd highly recommend checking out Hellcat.

What I'm getting that I enjoy - ANAD Avengers, Hellcat, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, AN Wolverine, Ultimates, Old Man Logan, Scarlet Witch (though this is super biased because I am almost as big of a Wanda fanboy as I am a Carol one. I know)
Stuff I'm still getting but I'm hoping they improve - New Avengers, Spider-Gwen, AN X-men
Stuff that is literally hanging by a thread - AN Hawkeye, Extraordinary X-men (though that thread is basically as long as Magik has a part of the story)
Stuff I dropped - Web Warriors, Uncanny Avengers (though I kind of regret it).
Stuff there's only been 1 issue but I've enjoyed still - Mockingbird, Black Widow.

Looking at that, it seems if you want me to buy a comic, its make the main character a women and make it a big off beat.

I work at a story PT so when its slow I do get the read recent comics, so I've kept up on the Vision, and I'll be 100% grabbing the trades.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Honestly I think if anyone knows the value of "pretend to be working for The Man to keep an eye on ex-villains in order to give those ex-villains the chance to redeem themselves" it'd be the ex-Thunderbolt.

Hell, she learned it from watching Hawkeye, after all.

Yea, but the group is literally made up of people who are objectively good, save Songbird. Is SHIELD really worried about Squirrel Girl, White Tiger, Wiccan, Hulkling and Sunspot, all people with histories that are nothing but positive?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And games with Dark Souls.

It used to be Dwarf Fortress or Mount and Blade.

"I want a Space Empire Builder."
"You should play Mount and Blade"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

My favorite Dwarf Fortress memory is seeing people recommend it as a great time killer, "5 minutes here and there" kind of game.

It's the greatest time killer!... With like an hour of prerequisite reading/watching before you play.

Hah, yea, I remember thinking about trying it because it was so recommended, and looking at the mountains of pre game stuff you had to go over and just said forget it.

I bought my very first statue today, the Magik ArtFx one. Basically, all I've wanted have been either way to expensive, or just non-existent. This is the first time one was in my price range. Though now I feel obliged just to get Cyclops and Emma to recreate that Uncanny X-men cover.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Unless they're just going to straight up put Kitty with Illyana or Rachael, whats the point of breaking her and Peter up? I thought it worked really well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That's incredible. I have to imagine there is some rough sketch off camera that he's working from, becuase something that intricate can't just come from his mind. Can it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

The first part of the Squirrel Girl/Howard the Duck crossover is the best thing.

It was pretty phenomenal. I like how we got other characters joining in. Wolverine Squirrel!

I'd pay full price for Marvel unlimited if each comment came with a commentary script with North and Zdarsky.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does that mean Kate's going to be running around with Logan some more? Because I'd love to see her just hanging out calling him out on his poo poo.

Looking through previews for the civil war covers, looks like Kamala is going to be on Tony's side, because there's a mention of her finding her idols tainted and she's clearly tearing up a Captain Marvel poster.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So is this a thing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't Bennett doing Rebirth Wonder Woman?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

She got bumped for Rucka.

Well even though I liked Bennett's Angela, that's a upgrade.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked old school trippy Strange from the 70s where you can tell just how much drugs the artists were taking.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gwenpool was a very pleasant surprise, and Mockingbird continues to be awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Anime_Otaku posted:

I thought Gwenpool was pretty good too, might wait and get next month's issue before I decide weather or not to subscribe as the last page was a bit of a sudden change of gear.

Yea, big tonal shift there. I was confused becuase the hacker dude looked way too much like Kamala's friend Bruno.

Is it me or did Deadpool get drawn to look like Ryan Renyolds in ANAD Avengers this week?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

It seems to me you kind of bought into Gwenpool's view of the world. It's meant to be weirdly atonal, because on some level she's supposed to be an audience surrogate (she's literally a Marvel fan dropped into the 616). She knew she was in a comic, but she rather misjudged what the tone of that comic was. Maybe she figured she was in a more consequence-free story - but she forget she's spun off from Deadpool, who is in the top 10 of 'comic characters with the shittiest lives'. Playing with our expectations makes total sense that way.

Yea, this is exactly my take on the situation too. Obviously this is intentional to lure the reader into not expecting the swerve.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

I like Gwenpool because I like Chris Hastings and because I will read pretty much anything Gurihiru does art for.

Yea, I pretty much only picked it up because of Gurihiru's art, its cute and fits the character really well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've always felt that America in Battleworld was 616 America. She just saw the world ending and kicked a hole in reality and went to Battleworld. Though that implies that there is a 1602 Kate out there somewhere.

I dunno, Kamala would probably function well on a Young Avengers team, being the heart of the team that calls everyone on their poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Die Laughing posted:

In the Siege tie in she mentions how there was pizza on her Earth.

I like when Lady Kate says "I need to find a Barton, I feel the need to feel disappointed in something".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

After reading some squirrel girl i wanted to read some more funny meta stuff so I picked up Gwenpool even though I don't read any of the spider or deadpool books and I actually ended up really liking it. I normally would think the art would be kinda too cartoony for my taste but it fits the tone of the book well. I guess she's a brand new character and I know nothing about the writer so hopefully it'll stay good.

I will also highly recommend Hellcat if you want more stuff like Squirrel Girl.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt KSD wrote Carol excellently, it's just she didn't do that good of a Captain Marvel. If it had been a smaller book about Carol going about her life outside of punching things for the Avengers it would have been fantastic, but we got what was fairly boring adventure stories. Though I will hold up the arc where she teams up with Rocket as actually being quite excellent. But yes, this run has been fantastic and I love seeing Carol and Brand interact. Also makes me want to see more Puck.

The fact they kept the footnote commentaries going in Howard the Duck was fantastic, though I'm so used to the way Henderson draws Doreen, when I see her in another comic I get weirded out. Though what comic had her at a convention dressed as Howard?

The fact Howard literally put on the Justice League was fantastic, and based on sales, "My less interesting, less powerful suit" would describe it perfectly. Beast constantly going on about how he's an original X-men was pretty drat good too, along with Weapon II.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A Tin Of Beans posted:

And hell yes, Puck rules.

2016 is certainly a strange year.

The only really odd thing about Doreen is her front teeth, which in New Avengers were drawn massively. Howard has her drawn like a normal cute girl with the teeth slightly larger, and a tail.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the books been around long enough people have gotten used to the art style, like Bobs Burgers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

I'm sad about the Hawkeyes going away. It was one of the prettiest books on the stands and I enjoyed Lemire's take on the Clint/Kate relationship.

I was really glad they reconciled at the end there. I really was not enjoying them not being mentor and student, with roles flipping.

Though I still could have cared less about the kid backstories though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Die Laughing posted:

Macronaut! Probably comes from outer-outer space. Legally distinct from Micronauts.

No, its RON Star Cossack, completely different than ROM, Space Knight.

Sentinel Red posted:

Been busy the last couple of days so only just catching up with this week's comics. The last page of New Avengers cheered me up no end, there's just something quite endearing about that dude's silly little catchphrase. Definitely one of my favourite buddy pairings in anything, those two.

:allears:

Yep, I was so happy to see that, becuase that is one of my favorite friendships in comics. Though I'm curious where Squirrel Girl, Hulking and Wiccan are.

Toxxupation posted:

Veronica Fish has been doing a very similar job as Lee and it feels of a piece with Silk's original art direction.

Which one had the more mangaish style? I much preferred Silk with that art, it's like Giruhiru on Gwenpool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The handful of issues of SHIELD I read were pretty good, the first one where Fitz asks if Valkrye is the new Thor, then the issue were Simmons goes undercover as one of Kamala's teachers, and then the ones where everyone was being turned into Mindless ones and they hung out with Scarlet Witch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Al Ewing is on the most recent Jay and Miles, along with G WIllow Wilson, Kris Anka and the guy who draws deadpool. It's pretty fantastic.

site posted:

The top piece reminds me of the scarlet witch's head gear thing.

The bottom reminds me of cap's shield.

Cap finally gets a chance with Wanda that isn't a mental illness created illusion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like I'll forget to ask this tomorrow after Angela is actually out so I'll ask it now Is the Leah that is living with Angela and Serah the one from Battleworld? She says she's alone because Magik isn't there, and she didn't reform like she did, and we know the two of them ran off to rule the demons beyond the Shield in battleworld. I guess a being like Leah would be different than a regular human, in that she would remember what happened in battleworld

team overhead smash posted:

Cammi. She appeared in and apparently survived the terrible Avengers Arena.

And was in the worst Spec Ops for Avengers Alliance ever, and they're generally really good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but wonder if all of Wolverines team ups aren't leading to a moment where something happens and she's all "I need help" and calls is Strange, Squirrel Girl, Wasp and whoever she teams up with in the future.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, when did Fixer stop being black?

And the cover of the new Thunderbolts is more 90s than the most 90s thing ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

When they got a lovely artist to work on Thunderbolts (and then used a much better Mark Bagley variant cover to hype the book when it was solicited).

I like Bucky and the T-Bolts a LOT, and have heard good things about Jim Zub, so I'm getting the book, but the writing needs to be top-notch to get past that art.

Yea, seriously. That cover looks like it belongs to an issue of W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S..

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah that's adorable! And cute girl comics are generally my favorite comics right now.

Also Dazzler Thor and She-Hulk getting hammered was pretty awesome.

Though I had to laugh at seductive Wanda talking to Billy and Teddy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Dazzler Thor in A-force shows maybe there are other survivors from Battleworld Hanging around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

That whole intro was great, with Singularity just being so chipper about the whole thing. "THEY DO THE WILL OF DOOM! :haw:"

Singularity is just so adorable because she's just so happy to be among friends. She needs to meet Hellcat, Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Decius posted:

In Angela, they had people remembering the whole 1602-esque thing either as play or directly. They even had the Witch Queen Angela turned into as the big baddy of the arc/series (I think it's cancelled) and made here queen of the afterlife for angels. Leah is also the Leah that was on the Wall, and remembers all that stuff that happened there.

I was wondering if that Leah was the one who ran off with Illyana. So it was, drat I wish they kept that relationship going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does this Ultimates happen before the FCBD one shot? Thanos is very clearly holding one of the Shi'ar's guns when he arrives. Also like Carol seeing what they're doing and going "Wait? What? No gently caress that, shut it down now."

• Locked thread