Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Why is she (assuming she because of the eggs) so twitchy at the end?

I've never owned a bird, so I dunno how they act around eggs.

That's probably a mechanism to fluff her feathers out and settle in on the eggs more. I've seen my hens do it when they're broody. She's trying to gather the eggs under her as best she can and puff her feathers up so she gets the best possible coverage on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dennis McClaren posted:

Why don't more people have rabbits like these, instead of cats? No offense to cat people, they're great! But it seems like a bunny like this would be an equally cute snuggle companion and house warmer.
Are they difficult to take care of or something?

While they're very cute, their personalities often leave a lot to be desired. I've been around one or two rabbits that were cool, but I think I heard it summed up best as "they're like autistic cats."

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apollo update:

I have finally (temporarily) defeated him through the power of long walks

(i have been outside so much today omg send help my legs are dying)

You gotta learn the miracle of frisbee. He runs, you stand still and just throw something when he brings it back.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

post rest of series

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oh DuckRoll

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Can confirm that this is exactly what herding ducks with a dog is like, all the time.

Always. That. One. loving. Duck.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Aww man, "Paihren the Thawk" was taken almost immediately. Easily the best cat name on there.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're a mewtonian fluid :dadjoke:.

fixed

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bert Roberge posted:

https://twitter.com/HorribleSanity/status/1073271897561784321

Tag yourself. I'm the frog with a tuba at the "Hurrah for Santy" parade.

I'm the pipe smoking frog.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey. Wanna see some owl legs?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It thinks that guy's hand is a stoat!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The gently caress you looking at? Keep sailing.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

queserasera posted:

This has been an absolute shitpile of a day so far and I could use some industrial-grade cuteness please.

I won't be stingy. I met these cute 8-week-old Anatolian Pyrenees sisters, Bear

and Scout.

I got u fam

My dog Reggie has new cousins:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Long time no post I got a new puppy 2 months ago.

Her name is Scout, she’s an Australian cattle dog.

First she looked like this

Now she looks like this

She really likes toys and swimming
https://youtu.be/bXwwKU_tY50

She does not understand fruit
https://youtu.be/R3bpR40-KyA

Mina is a fan
https://youtu.be/blfmVfCCAg4

Hello, fellow ACD user!

This little girl (name TBD) will be coming home to live with us in a couple of weeks:

She'll be joining this goober (Reggie):

And together they'll be telling the chickens what to do. They'll probably be telling some sheep or cattle what to do next spring.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oh goodness I love them :swoon:

Acds are the bestworst dogs and infect you with something that makes you want more of them. I want a blue one next too!

Scout is a terror but she’s absolutely perfect. Here she is with her twin.

I've found that they're as much like hypeman/woman sidekicks as they are stock dogs. Reggie doesn't so much drive cattle, as he just sasses them in the direction I ask him to.

Telling pigs what to do:

Making sure the chickens know who's in charge:

Moving some cows down the road:

Memento posted:

Is that what they're called in the USA? We call them Blue Heelers or Red Heelers here. An old roommate of mine had one named Gus and he was the goodest boy. We would go down to the local dog beach and he would run the entire length of it chasing seagulls and trying to bite the waves.

They get called Red/Blue Heelers here, too. Australian Cattle Dog is the formal name for the breed with the Kennel Clubs, but most farmers that I know just call them "heelers."

They're very good dogs, but they end up in shelters a lot here, unfortunately. Mostly because people get them because they're handsome (and generally cheap,) and then about 8 months in they realize that "Oh wait, I have to actually train this dog?" If you don't give the heelers a job, they come up with jobs of their own. And the jobs that heelers invent are weird and troubling to most people. But if you take the time to train and socialize them, and understand that they need a job and a person to hang out with, then they are, in fact, the goodest dogs.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

More than once I have told people that mine is a cattle dog only to have them respond "oh, well she looks just like a blue heeler" then I have to explain the whole thing.

Sit pretty isn't always pretty

Just a feral little piglet

New object exploration at puppy class. Wheelchairs were not a problem.

She loves the beach so much. Also she has person eyes.

Scout is such a sweet girl :3:

What kind of puppy classes do you have her in? That exploration class seems really smart. Reggie had a "thing" about bicycles for a while, and some sort of "no this is cool" class would have reallyhelped.

Reggie also approves of beaches. (His adopted brother Chico thinks the sand is fine, but the water can gently caress right off.)

Reggie attempts to teach a younger cousin the right way to sleep.

Boxman posted:

ACD chat: our girl was advertised as a blue heeler mix. Which was almost certainly a stretch made by the shelter to avoid putting "pit bull mix," since, you know. Anyway here's a story in 3 acts of her and our new cat.

(She's definitely something besides bully breed but drat if we know what.)

I could see her being an ACD/PB mix. She's got a longer snout than most PB's I've seen, and the ears sort of hint at ACD.

Weltlich has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Oct 12, 2020

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

It rained really hard last night and flooded one of my pastures (this is normal and happens regularly in the spring and fall), which made Mina and the sheep sad because it's their favorite pasture but was the most exciting development ever for Scout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Qin8tGmF8

I wish there was some way to tap puppy energy because she ran laps for 30 minutes and wasn't even winded.

Edit:
Sometimes she's a meerkat

Sometimes she's just cute

:3:

Does scout do the "boing boing boing" running through high grass? Reggie is a pro at it. If he's going across a field with grass taller than he is, he'll shoot 4ft into the air every ~5 seconds to get a look at where he's at, then keep running.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bonnie says, "Hi."

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

Kiss her on the nose for me if you could please.

Done. She licked me on my nose in return.

Weltlich has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Nov 9, 2020

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hello, Bonnie! I love you very much!

Not one to pass up a 70 degree November day I took Scout up to the lake. She's looking so grown up :qq:

:swoon:

Scout is such a good girl. Also a mountain goat.

Bonnie has some serious nap skills that I envy.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
what a sweet little Bean!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scout decided she wanted to be a blue heeler.

:kimchi:

I've never known a heeler that didn't color morph at some point in its lifecycle.

Bonnie's spots keep moving around, but I am more concerned with that her school seems to be enhancing and activating her latent psionic abilities.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scout started dock diving July 16th and she had her very first competition last weekend. I think she likes the sport :3:

My only regret is that they didn't have an on site photographer.

Edit: her personal best is 15'3"

What a good girl!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Bonnie and Reggie present a Drama in three Acts.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

My little dog is all growed up :qq:

She's still a swine though

They get more couchbound as they get older.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Heeler pups are weapons grade adorable to disguise the fact that they can be complete terrors.

Reggie:

Bonnie:

Reggie teaching Bonnie how to play tug:
https://i.imgur.com/GDfhsT0.mp4

How that turned out--a story in four photos:

Weltlich has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Feb 2, 2024

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

aww I always love seeing Reggie and Bonnie

I'll post more Reggie and Bonnie if you post more Waffles and Pabu.

"lol look at me I look like you. I am so tired because I have a job and responsibilities lmao"

This adorable idiot.

All dressed up and on our best behavior.

But soon...

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Absolutely true, the cuteness is the only way they survive.

We went hiking with friends today. Left to right: Gamble, Scout, Gambler, Splash.

Look at those good friends!

Have you noticed a high variability in their personalities as well? Like I love Golden Retrievers, but there is sort of a dominant "personality" that goldens' have (and it's wonderful). But all the ACD/heelers I have known have been all over the place. From super clever to super doofy, "one-person dogs" and "A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet" dogs, super work-focused to ADHD incarnate. I'm sure some of it has to do with teaching and training, but I'm convinced that being
"mutty" breed just leads to a big ??? when you start working with a heeler pup.

Like Reggie is very reserved and a thinker. He worked great with cows because he knows how to hang back and keep all the herd in view, then he moves to put pressure to bring strays back in. On the other hand, I think Bonnie is going to be a much better sheep dog because she's "got the eye" and will be able to stand in one spot and just stare them into going where she needs them to go. Meanwhile, Reggie is my shadow and is wary of anyone outside of the household until he's gotten a good feel for them. Bonnie is your bff from the moment you meet.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh I forgot to include a very important video

https://i.imgur.com/4q8rsta.mp4

nursing is a full-body effort

This is the best! And more pics are demanded as the pups keep getting bigger.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Heck yeah, keep those pups in pets and cuddles at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

The puppies are starting to look like dogs and I can't handle it

They're also starting to "play" in a very wobbly fashion, which at this age mostly involves opening their mouths and kind of waving them at each other

https://i.imgur.com/El8tjg1.mp4

Omg such absolute sweethearts