Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm at this point seriously considering attempting to get an early-model Switch because of the hacking potential. Not that I know what I'd do with whatever eventual hacks come up, but because I'd then have more options of what I could do with the hardware.

I've hacked just about all my systems on principle. I think the most use I've gotten out of the hacks is on the 3DS -- I installed some games I bought to the SD card so I didn't have to carry them around, I got to randomize the spawns in and massively increase the difficulty of Pokemon, and I got to play a few games with Japanese audio because the English dubs bothered me.

If I don't get a first-generation Switch then I won't get first-generation hacks, which means I won't have that shiny useless badge of honor for the few years it takes for hacks to do anything meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Louisgod posted:

quick reminder that I still have two Switches pre-ordered with no claim on the second, which I'm willing to ship to somebody on here if they can't get one.

That wouldn't happen to have grey joycons, would it?

I was at a Zelda-themed event last weekend where people were dressed up in Zelda outfits doing Zelda things to save Zelda and at the end they had a massive line for people to try the new Zelda game and it got me thinking: I really wanna play Mario Odyssey. Also I have disposable income (Zelda events aren't cheap!).

But I also really like the look of the Grey Dogcon. Not sure how I'll react if I stumble across an available Switch in Not-as-Doggy Neon.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Louisgod posted:

Yep, grey pre-order as far as I know.

Drop me an email and we'll chit-chat: my hotmail is "hammerbroish"; I'm guessing you know where to put the '@' and ".com".

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Snipperclips is co-op puzzle solving in the same vein as Affordable Space Adventures.

How was Affordable Space Adventures? I don't own a Wii U but I know somebody who does and we're both very fond of games by Nifflas.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Louisgod posted:

Tried to send you and email but it didn't go through.

Huh; I probably bungled the confusing instructions. Sent you an email; now to sit by the browser and :f5:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I must be getting old and curmudgeonly because all of my opinions now appear to be contrary ones but I'm rather upset that Hard Mode is behind a DLC paywall, even if Nintendo does have a good history of not-lousy DLC. I just think micro-transactions -> paid DLC -> rent seeking in general provide the wrong incentives for developers.

Conversely (but still contrarily), I'm excited to see Unity and Unreal Engine build targets for the Switch out of the gate. I don't have much time for gaming anymore, so I tend to gravitate toward the quirky independent or small-studio stuff, and just about all of the indie/small studios use one of those two middlewares.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm planning on hitting up a midnight Best-Buy or two in the off-chance that they have switches available to the general public, then a 7AM Toys 'R' Us in the slim chance that the local homeless population has scared off all the other campers.

If I show up to work late, scruffy, and punctured on Friday, my boss'll understand. He also wants a Switch.

Also it wouldn't be the first time I'd shown up under those conditions.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I didn't even realize it was a thing until it was already sold-out, I didn't get interested in it until I saw the Mario Odyssey trailer (which evoked strangely fond Sonic Adventure memories), and I didn't get properly obsessive until a few weeks ago when I got bored at work and started reading this thread.

Basically, I blame all of you folks.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MarcusSA posted:

Are we really thinking that there will be a market for that? I'm getting the feeling that there are going to be plenty of them around.

I've already reserved one from somebody who preordered two because I'm dumb-dumb, and I think my friends are as well, so unless the local midnight launches are overflowing with extra copies that they're not pre-selling online I imagine you could find some takers.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ultimate Chicken Horse? Jackbox?

I am going to legitimately invite people over for the explicit purpose of playing video games.

I don't remember the last time that's happened, but it fills me with glee.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm pretty much in agreement with goon sentiment on all the desirable titles except Splatoon (2) -- I'm aware of it and under the impression that it's meritorious, but I'm not excited by it.

Is there anything particularly compelling about it from the generally single-player-offline perspective or should I just accept it's not my bag and be happy with the multiple games I am enthused about?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vookatos posted:

Ah, thank you. I was thinking Konami decided to be dicks again and did something insane again. Still, what a shame. I didn't really check out any footage of the new Bomberman, but I had high hopes for it.

The most damning thing in my opinion is how lazy it looks -- the only thing that makes me feel like the creators were invested in it is its 2D art.

In other news, I'm just now hearing about the Fast [x] series thanks to previous references to Fast RMX, and that looks totally up my alley. Thanks, thread!

(Jeez, was F-Zero GX really the last console F-Zero? I played the poop out of that game way back when and I'm starting to get a craving. Time to head to the toilet... without a Switch.)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sleepness posted:

So I haven't really been following the switch after my regretful purchase of the Wii U at launch, however the allure of a new Zelda appears to be too much for me.

Since preorders are sold out, whats my best option of getting one at launch? Just hoping target has some extra stock? Or should I just give up hope and wait.

My plan is to head over to a Best Buy when I get off of work and hang out there until Midnight, probably leave empty-handed, then go to a less-populous city's Toys R Us and wait until they open in the AM. Since they're not doing a midnight launch and didn't do online pre-orders, they will have stock.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Seeing all these awesome indie games being developed for the Switch makes me want to finish developing any of my (theoretically) awesome indie games... for the Switch!

But I imagine that costs money.

Wonder how long 'til people get PC drivers for JoyCons, at least. I might tailor my control scheme around those regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I can't tell if people are joking about the gooseneck mounts, but I legitimately want one of those.

Is there any consensus as to what's good/not, or is the prevailing wisdom to wait until the thing comes out and reviews for whatever's compatible roll in?

• Locked thread