Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Doflamingo posted:

kid Bruce flying up into the sky in a loving Batnado

Wait. Is this really a thing that happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Wow.

I've heard more than once that Snyder keeps getting work mostly because he hits his deadlines and never goes over budget, but how can he turn that into a career weighed against the mountain of garbage he's piled up?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Young Freud posted:

Sucker Punch

That movie is a crime against humanity just for using those unforgivable garbage covers of Pixies and Iggy Pop.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

quote:

Cavill's Murderman

So is that peoples problem with MoS, that Superman kills people? It's not a great movie, but S-man is such a boring poo poo character. The closest thing to making him any sort of interesting was going with the whole "If you're a human atom bomb, you can't take a dump without a little collateral damage". Batman has plenty of angles to go with without making him a serial killer, and that's a stupid move for Snyder. But the only good story idea for Superman other than painting him as almost as dangerous as whatever problem he's fixing, would be just not making a Superman movie.

Well, not making a Superman movie would have been the better idea I mean.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

This must mean I'm smart and it's impossible.

Well, history kinda supports me on those points.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Xenomrph posted:

Also I read that Eisenberg isn't interested in playing Lex Luthor anymore

In a darkened room Kevin Spacey sits, casting furtive glances toward his phone.

Across town, Joel Schumacher's long dormant vintage pager springs to unholy life.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Thundercracker posted:

I honestly don't think anyone cared about Jessica Jones until people started talking about how it was a good show.

No. There is no goddamn way anyone said that's a good show. I didn't even really dislike the first Thor movie, and found Jessica Jones unwatchable.

*Well it was okay up to episode seven, which I'm guessing is when the writers had their "Bring your kids to work day", and let them spend an hour knocking out the scripts for the rest of the season.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I want a grimdark remake of David the Gnome.

Didn't that one end on a pretty goddamn grimdark note?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Max Landis always rubbed me as a snobby brat.

Him being buddies with Josh Trank says everything anyone needs to know about both of them.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

achillesforever6 posted:

Actually I might be confusing people, I know there was a thread that talks about how the Transformers franchise is actually great and subversive and not totally banal and awful movies.

No, you're just slightly mis-remembering some fine details. SMG actually was doing side by side screencap comparisons of Fury Road and Transformers in the Mad Max thread to prove that Transformers is high art and Fury Road was derivative Hollywood garbage.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

Ultron was worse than BvS.

The problem with AoU was that they implied Ultron was causing global catastrophes with E-Terrorism, but never bothered to cover that angle even with just with a montage of him shutting down power grids and turning all of Londons traffic lights green or whatever. The problem with BvS was that the director has the attention span of a goldfish and the whole move was a series of semi coherent barely related music videos pasted together randomly.

Advantage / Ultron.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Well yeah there is that. But SMG did pop into one of the GBS Fury Road threads to post screenshot comparisons "proving" George Miller totally ripped off his shot compositions from the "superior" Transformers movies. His shtick should be tiresome by now, but it's goddamn impressive how many gullible people line up to jump on the SMG train.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

WampaLord posted:

SMG is probably the finest troll this forum has seen because he's convinced most of CineD that not only is he not trolling, he's actually a genius whose opinions they should defer to.

Seriously. With a little more ambition he could easily become be the next L. Ron Hubbard / Hitler.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CharlestonJew posted:

I've still got some alcohol left before I move should I torrent bvs tonight y/n?

Jesus no. I just made the mistake of trying to watch the extended version tonight, and only made it to the one hour mark. It's kind of amazing how making it like 15% longer somehow makes it four times more boring.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Pvt.Scott posted:

Sucker Punch was a paint-by-numbers self-aware tour through the Hero's Journey subverted by the fact that the heroine was never actually doing anything in the real world and was instead a powerless victim of her circumstances. It also kinda sucked.

I like to think that when she drifted into fantasyland, instead of presumably rapedancing in a trance she just kinda of stood there slowly shuffling from foot to foot while everyone quietly giggled at how stupid she looked.

CharlestonJew posted:

Here's a question about the extended edition: does it add in any scenes of superman saving people or doing anything remotely heroic

I zoned out on the theatrical cut and couldn't get past the one hour mark on the extended. The only thing in the long version that maybe I just didn't bother to notice in the short one was that there is a very clear point when every single actor in the movie just gives up and stops trying. It's like you can see that they don't have much to work with, but they're trying to breath a little life into it. But around the 30 or 40 minute mark everyone is just dead eyed and ticking off the dialog just trying to get it over with.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 11, 2016

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Ooooh finally. New York Dolls action figures!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

But every MCU movie is better than Watchmen. Hell, if you cut out the Jennifer Garner bits that old Daredevil movie is better than Watchmen. I mean the only way to maybe force it to work is by knowing the source material, and then filling in all the gaps in Snyders poor grasp of the material with the power of your own imagination.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

The way he nervously said "vajayjay" while spreading an anatomically correct doll's legs was loving chilling.

It was funny and disturbing watching this guy turn what I'm sure is hundreds of bux worth of toys into garbage in his pursuit of making a zika baby black widow with nipples. But it stopped being funny toward the end when he says "This one probably won't go in my display case, because of my kids".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

JaredBS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglkYMGRYlE

maybe he got it right this time ?
that trailer looks a ton better than BvS

No they didn't. They're just dumping a bucket of tepid try hard humor on the one charter that should actually be the straight man. It's just "Lets mimic Marvel, with out much of an idea of how humor works". It just seems better because of how bad the other recent DC movies have been.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Scaramouche posted:

If it's like the comic the bad guy is their boss who will kill them as soon as they become a liability

That's the other thing. If middle age government lady has the resources to catch the bad guys and lock them away, what the gently caress do the bad guys bring to the table that she doesn't already have access to? It seems like she can get the job done just fine.

It's like a middle school teacher pulling the rear end in a top hat kid out of detention to help her write her lesson plan.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Drunken Baker posted:

a bunch of mates who are dying to see this because of harley.

Nerds have had a boner for a live action Harley forever, and the one they finally get was cast because Will Smith was like "Uh, How about hiring this girl I've been porking on the side?" and the producer is all "Whatever makes Will happy".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

I thought she got hired because of her of obscenely huge clown mouth and her nude scenes in Wolf of Wall Street.

Nope. He actually has been banging her for a while, and he did recommend her for the part. The only thing they never made expressly clear is if he "Recommended" her or "If you want me to do this movie you'll hire her too" recommended her.

I have my suspicions...

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Don Tacorleone posted:

Why not, BvS had a B, C an D plot

Too much credit. I'd say it was festooned with a variety of plot-like objects.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Ahahaha. WB used to own, and is still a part owner of Rotten Tomatoes.

Who wants to start a petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes for inflating the ratings of DC movies for their corporate masters? I mean there's no way BvS deserves 27% when the far superior Supergirl (1984) is sitting at 7%.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 3, 2016

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Serious Frolicking posted:

marvel comics have no intrinsic quality which make them better for movies than dc.

Sure they do. Stan Lee came from horror / monster comics, and the characters he either created or developed show his roots. You have characters that are straight up monsters like Hulk or the Thing. You have characters becoming heroes in spite of themselves. Tony Stark is a drunk, Peter Parker is an awkward kid in over his head, Dr. Strange is a dick. Marvel characters start off flawed, and it gives them something to reach for. For the most part they started off with room to grow.

But with DC the characters are idealized both as the heroes and as their alter egos. They start as strong jawed puffed up boy scouts who who become puffed up boy scouts with super powers. They don't really go anywhere. They just keep being more of the same but bigger. I mean yeah DC has played around with breaking that mold over the years, but the difference between Marvel and DC is pretty clear and dates back to their early days. Then you have the added problem where you have gently caress around with the DC characters to give yourself room to move them in an arc so they're not boring, and you have to do that without pissing off the fan-base. And clearly no one working at WB at the moment has a clue how to crack that nut.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

mind the walrus posted:

I maintain that Kenneth Brannagh's first Thor is underrated as hell. Dutch angles be damnded, dude managed to sell a character that BSS used to say was an impossible adaptation 10 years ago without changing everything too far from the Kirby aesthetic.

No kidding. I really expected the only way it would work was if Thor was some super powered mentally ill hobo out of nowhere who believed he was the god of thunder, and carried around a homemade big rear end hammer. Kind of a delusional Hancock. But somehow they managed to stay close to the source and still pulled off a serviceable fun action movie.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Flesh Forge posted:

I would have loved this. Hyper Bonus if he was actually black.

Yeah. I'm impressed they pulled it off, but I think my imaginary version could have been great in the hands of a good screenwriter.

mind the walrus posted:

Homeless Thor was the best thing out of it.

Wait. That was actually a thing?

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 8, 2016

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

If your mom can lift me fully off the ground with one hand I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to fight Germstore to be your dad.

I'd prefer she lifted me off the ground with no hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

gently caress the ROW posted:

Everything has to be really complicated about the batman, like how its his fault of everything

That bugs me the most. I mean it's not even like little Bruce was all like "No daddy, the pony store is down this dark alley, I'm sure of it!" or like her tossed a ball at the back of the shooters head by accident and triggered the whole murder. He can feel bad about it, but he has no reason to be haunted by guilt and poo poo.

gently caress, look a Spiderman. Peter Parker being a selfish dick high on new superpowers directly leads to his uncle/surrogate father dying on the street, and he managed to get over it and come out a better person instead of moving into a cave and playing Bella Lugosi's Dead on a loop for decades.

• Locked thread