Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I didn't mind it much because this is basically the third issue of anything that I've ever read with Jessica Cruz. A bit of a character primer didn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The weird unnamed interdimensional entity going "I must feeeeed on this tasty woooorld" isn't mentioned Titans Rebirth, no, but he was very much mentioned in Titans Hunt. So I don't really know why the ending blurb said to read Titans Rebirth other than to namedrop it.

To summarize: We know that Dr. Manhattan, or someone connected to the Watchmen, is responsible for stealing the ten years' missing time and memories. But Titans Hunt revealed that Mr. Twister (the purple guy with a hat, seen above) was responsible for making the Titans forget each other, even in addition to the ten year reboot, and that he did so to appease some other entity...evidently, the Hungry Narrator Guy in Justice League #51.

My guess right now is that the post-Rebirth Titans story will be them going after Hungry Narrator Guy, thinking that he's responsible for everyone's missing memories and relationships...but all that's just going to be a red herring, because we the readers know that he's not the real, major culprit, but merely someone taking advantage of the mess.

Which...if I'm right...and if I'm being real honest...kinda makes Titans a little less interesting to me. We're gonna be spending all this time with them trying to solve the mystery of the missing years, but they're just gonna be getting it wrong the whole time, just padding for time until Geoff Johns comes back to finish writing the event or whatever. That's kinda lame.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 18, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was gonna say we've had N52 Raven so we must've had Trigon, but then I have zero idea what N52 Raven's whole deal is so maybe not.

In any case, Hungry Narrator should be from a whole other world -- presumably, another Earth in the Multiverse -- and I don't know if that applies to Trigon.

It sounds a lot like Mandrakk, frankly.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't get any romantic vibes from Simon and Jessica at all.

But then, I'm also not a big fan/proponent of the whole silly romcom "They seem to hate each other, so they must really like each other" motif.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I thought Wonder Woman was fine and I love the reintegration of her supporting cast, but yeah I got to the end of the issue and was like "Oh. Wait, are we at the end?" The Cheetah reveal really should've come, like, in the middle or at least 3/4ths of the way into the book.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That cover is some embarrassing deviantart poo poo

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Man I feel bad for Hitch for that obviously-last-minute WW costume redraw.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I give it about five issues before Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman show up in RHATO to be the unlikable, disapproving authority straw-men who wants to shut down these loose cannons, only for our radical hoodlums to "put them in their place" somehow.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay, I laughed really, really hard at Simon's intro in this week's GLs.

The narration is super overdone and the art is...startling...but I'm really enjoying the dynamic between these two.

Enjoyed Superman more than the first issue. I admit that I didn't follow N52 Superbro very much so I don't know if he occasionally acted as inspirational and uplifting as Clark does in this book, but in any case it was really nice seeing a Superman be that way again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm sorry, what's the big deal? Who cares?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean I feel bad for the unfortunate edgelord who would buy one of those shirts but still

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Show of hands, people here who've actually been to China? *raises*

Please step outside the internet for a couple hours if a tiny billboard of a panda and a bowl of noodle is what's bringing down the hammer of your outrage in regards to Chinese representation.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I can't believe this is seriously a conversation I'm going to have but here we go I guess.

Everyone in China uses chopsticks. Literally everyone. Not all the time and not for everything, but enough times and for enough things. That's the culture. It's not some sketchy stereotype, it's not some racist portrayal, it's a legit social difference between China and America. Saying that a guy eating noodles with chopsticks is "idiot shorthand" for depicting China is PC nonsense. They're depicting China. The end.

Of course they didn't have to quote-unquote "depict China." They didn't have to put any Chinese-associated objects on the cover at all, they could have made it the most culturally-indeterminate-looking cover in the world. Maybe have the guy standing on some gray-looking buildings, call it a day, and that would've been fine. But they didn't want that, they wanted to show that this guy was operating in China because that's the literal plot of the book. So they did.

Someone compared this to a Ms. Marvel cover, but if you actually look inside an issue of Ms. Marvel you could see that it is filled with culturally-heavy imagery, dialogue, and story points. Even some things that might, on a surface level, be considered stereotypical. In no way, shape, or form, does that book shy away from portraying Kamala's cultural influences and backdrop -- not just Muslim Pakistani, but New Jersey as well -- so to act like it's some sort of race-free comic series, much less that it's somehow "doing it right" by bringing up race as little as possible, is incredibly disingenuous not to mention inaccurate.

I'm not completely sold on Yang yet. There are some things he's mentioned that make me a little concerned about this book. But the idea that he's going to acknowledge or even highlight cultural aspects of China is not one of them, especially not ones as innocuous as cartoon pandas and chopsticks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Itt: a white guy tells an Asian guy how his culture works.
I'm Chinese, buddy.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not ragging on Toxx here since what he describes here is a legit lovely thing that's happened to me before as well. But, just to recap the score so far, we got a Chinese guy criticizing a Chinese guy for his comic about China and a third Chinese guy (that we know of!) saying it's not that bad

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 10, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh hell yeah Rucka put in The Scene he's always talked about, of Diana looking towards the horizon instead of the stars. :3: It's so beautiful and right that I couldn't care less that it's the third variation of this origin story that we've gotten in a year.

It's kinda funny how every writer always seems to give Diana that one friend who's kinda-hella gay for her and trying to get her to stay instead of leave. Morrison just did this with...Mala?...and even Azzarello had Aleka do this, in the Secret Origins issue.

Brunette Hippolyta is back. I have more theories about this, and maybe I'll post some when I have the time...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay but the context was that Kyle was badmouthing Hal while Wally was saying that's a low blow.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Pff like I can give anyone here the benefit of any doubts. The forum has broken my ability to see sarcasm.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah but he did really great on the Lois and Clark lead-up series to this series, so I think folks were expecting things a bit more...along those lines.

Everything I read today has been either good or great. Nightwing Rebirth was delightful, though I think they drew Damian a little too old, especially for some of the (wonderful) stuff he was saying. Flash had some amazing art and pretty decent writing. Wonder Woman is goddamn gratifying. If they're setting this as the definitive true origin for her going forward then it's everything I could have hoped for.

Stand-out of the week has to go to Detective Comics, though. I'm not really sold on this revelation/retcon/whatever, but it's set up and delivered well enough that I can go with it for now. The ensemble dynamic and general tone of this series has been completely my speed.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, I do have a big of a soft spot for the Great Ten, but it seems to me they'd fit the bill of "racist caricature bullyfest" pretty soundly. :v:

Browsed Hal Jordan and the GLC. Not bad...surprised to see the emotional spectrum is still kicking around, doing...something. They've been so low-profile lately that I'd half-expected them to never show up again.

Nice to see Kyle again, if briefly. Sucks that he's back in the mega-generic White Lantern duds and not the incredibly awesome costume he had in Omega Men, but maybe it means Omega Men will be ignored, which is nice. (yeah yeah I know everyone liked it. Meh.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Uh. Did this get posted? http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/14/frank-cho-walks-off-wonder-woman-after-sixth-cover/#.V4e3ASKBJRV.twitter

Frank Cho posted:

All the problem lies with Greg Rucka.

EVERYONE loves my Wonder Woman covers and wants me to stay. Greg Rucka is the ONLY one who has any problem with covers. Greg Rucka has been trying to alter and censor my artwork since day one.

Greg Rucka thought my Wonder Woman #3 cover was vulgar and showed too much skin, and has been spearheading censorship, which is baffling since my Wonder Woman image is on model and shows the same amount of skin as the interior art, and it’s a VARIANT COVER and he should have no editorial control over it. (But he does. WTF?!!!)

I tried to play nice, not rock the boat and do my best on the covers, but Greg’s weird political agenda against me and my art has made that job impossible. Wonder Woman was the ONLY reason I came over to DC Comics.

To DC’s credit, especially [Art Director] Mark Chiarello, they have been very accommodating. But they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I just wanted to be left alone and do my Wonder Woman variant covers in peace. But Greg Rucka is in a hostile power trip and causing unnecessary friction over variant covers.
:stare:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

To be absolutely totally honest, I feel like the original Cho cover is actually less risque than what they ended up trimming it to. In the original you can at least tell that she's wearing underwear. In the cropped one it's almost like her butt is bared.

In any case, to be clear -- as far as I can understand the sitch -- Cho wasn't fired. He quit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

All right. While we're (sorta) on the topic, crazy speculation time: What the heck is going on with Wonder Woman's history and the "lies?" What's going to be the eventual reveal?

Theory #1: Circe did it. Circe did everything. That sneaky bwitch has been conspicuously absent from the entirety of Nu52, Rucka is very familiar with the character, and taking advantage of the missing ten years to make up a bunch of lies to confuse Diana with fits her M.O. pretty tightly.
Cons: Pretty generic and predictable resolution to the mystery unless Rucka can somehow reinvent the character into unexpected awesomeness.

Theory #2: Dr. Manhattan did it...him, or whoever else from the Watchmen who stole the ten years (I'm still not convinced that Jon Osterman is the real perp behind everything) are also directly responsible for any fake weirdness going on in Wonder Woman's life. Just part and parcel of the whole DC Universe Rebirth event shebang.
Cons: Super forced and inorganic. Does not fit in with Wonder Woman's mythological motifs.

Theory #3: Granny Goodness did it.
Cons: NONE

Theory #4, the nuclear max clusterfuck option: Any one of the above, except both her old origin and her new origin are true, because:

There are two different Hippolytas, from two different periods of history. Rucka already tossed out a clue, for anyone obsessive enough to note: when wrapped by the lasso, Diana noted that her mother Hippolyta is the tenth queen of the Amazons. This is already a change, because she had always ever been the only queen before now. Maybe all of the Amazon Queens are named Hippolyta, in honor of the O.G.? Or maybe just those two.

So let's say: Hippolyta #1, or Blonde Hippolyta, fell in love with Zeus and had his baby. Maybe this happened in ancient times. Maybe this happened as recently as...say, World War I or II. This "Diana" grew up shamed in a harsh Amazon society...BUT, slowly changed their views with her heroic exploits until they were not crazy mean anymore. Unfortunately, this Diana died, maybe by sacrificing herself for something or another.

Fast-forward to modern times. Hippolyta #2, aka Brunette Hippolyta, asked the gods for a child and they sent the reincarnated soul of the original Diana into her clay sculpture. Viola, now we have modern age Diana, who grew up in a better Amazon society (as shaped by her own deeds), but has been experiencing visions of her past life.

There's also a little hint of this in the most recent WW issue, where the Amazon Kasia says "I'd sooner forget what I remember, my friend. My life as a woman slain at the hands of the man who took offense at my refusal of him? No, thank you." It's a little gramatically-interpretable, but it seems like she's talking about having been killed in the outside world and then being reborn in Themyscira. In the Perez mythos this is how all the original Amazons were created, from the souls of murdered women (not sure they have memories of their past lives though), but that explanation has never been used to create new Amazons...until now, perhaps? For one thing it would make Diana and Kasia's (and Io's) relationship way less weird since they would legitimately be around her age and not thousands of years older. And if Amazons occasionally being born from reincarnated women is just A Thing that happens now then it stands to reason that Diana herself is one such instance.

tl;dr My guess is it's not that Diana is remembering a false life, it's that she's remember a different life.

(:tinfoil:)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Legend of Wonder Woman really does set an overwhelming standard. I like Renae de Liz's vision of Themiscyra and mythology much more -- it's such good world-building, on par with Perez -- but I think I like this Diana and this Steve a little more than hers (from what little we've seen). She's a little less Omen Child and he's a little more Farmer's Market Hot. :v:

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah based on other things Rucka has done I am fully expecting to find out that Flashback Diana and Present Diana are not the same person.
Well I think the current two Dianas appearing in the book -- the one in "Year One" and the one in "The Lies" -- has to be the same person because the same Steve Trevor knows them. My theory is that there was a Diana before the Year One Diana, and that's the one whose memories are encroaching on her current incarnation.

Maybe I've also watched too much Avatar

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hey now, saying that De Liz can't hold a candle to Scott is a bit much. Frankly, I think far more artists could stand to be as expressive and dynamic as De Liz. Her use of light, colors, and action is inimitable.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Most retellings downplay the sexual assault so much that you probably wouldn't even know it happened unless you read the original story, and even in there it was kinda vague. I certainly didn't know about it for a long time, and I came into DC at a period when they were, like, re-showing that scene of Joker shooting Barbara every other week.

catlord posted:

Holy loving poo poo, what is this from? This looks amazing.
The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz! It was a weekly digital comic that ran for a while and has since finished, but the print edition is catching up in stores now. And yes, there's going to be a volume 2.

:toot:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hahaha okay, I admit it, I've been being lenient, but Green Lanterns is a real bad book. I really like Simon and Jessica's interactions still, but oh god this book is badly-put together.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

As far as art mistakes go it's gonna be really hard to top Simon and Jessica talking, at length, in detail, about his real, non-construct gun while the art shows him holding a vividly-green construct gun for panels and panels on end. I could not believe what I was seeing. Evidently the colorist thinks his gun is dumb too and also just doesn't get to read the script I guess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Roth posted:

I liked this part from the new issue of Action Comics. No jealous love triangle bullshit, and I'm glad it wasn't made into a thing to milk for drama.
Yeah, I don't hate that Wonder Woman characterization. I got a kick out of her plainly stating, "Wow yeah, neither of these are the Clarks I boinked." I like when this comic is focusing on the weird clusterfuck situation of the multiple Supermans.

Speaking of which, Wonder Woman #3. I love this Diana. This is absolutely Rucka's measured, engaging, heroic, warrior-diplomat Wonder Woman back in my comics. It truly feels like the last couple of years...not just the N52, but also all of the stuff from Heinberg onwards has been tossed in the rubbish pile and that, in terms of character linearity, we're picking up right after the end of Rucka's run where we left off. Like maybe Diana's embassy shut down and she flew off to deal with Infinite Crisis and then right afterward we're here in the weird jungle, seeing her try to find the pieces of her old life.

Completely honestly-speaking...the story is still a little slow, and though I love this Cheetah design, I've never been very fond of the whole characterization of her as Urzkartarga's battered, abused bride. I don't think that's using the character to her fullest potential and am a little disappointed that Rucka's pretty much sticking with it. Beyond that, I'm still really looking forward to seeing what comes of this...having Diana, Cheetah, and Steve's paths all converge at Urzkartarga's doorstep is gonna make for a real fun issue.

Oh yeah Detective Comics is still wonderful...though, meh, I'm kind of over Kate's dad as this obnoxious stock militant monologuing supervillain. I gave it an issue to prove my impressions wrong and it's not really working for me. I don't hate the story built around this but I wish they did his characterization better.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'know, I thought Brett Booth actually did a good job on Wally...that costume and those effects were really expressive and dynamic. Some of the other characters, though...woo boy, cringeworthy. Especially some of those Linda panels.

I enjoyed the issue nonetheless.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think there's something to be said, artistically and experimentally, for an action splash page that's so frenetic and turvy-topsy that you literally don't know where to look first and which panel leads to where and whatnot. Like you could read any of those word balloons in any order and still come away with the same disheveled outcome. Now, it's one thing if a scene of two or three people talking calmly to each other is hard to follow because of the panel composition, and even with this I think it's fair to say it's super confusing and overwhelming, but that's almost kind of the interesting thing about that page (from a book I haven't read and have no particular opinions about).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wonder Woman #4 preview.

Like...I'm pretty invested in the other storyline as well because I'm just really invested in the whole LIIIEESS thing, but gently caress if this Year One thing hasn't been totally perfect and knocking all the poo poo out of the park.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't remember the last time that a comic book ever actually brought tears to my eyes, but Wonder Woman #4 managed to get there. In spite of any quibbles or nitpicks I'm always going to have with any books...this is the in-canon Wonder Woman book of my dreams.

If I listed all the things I liked it'd just include every single panel, but something specific I noticed and appreciated was the tiny suggestion that Steve might have actually enacted Hiketeia when he supplicated himself to Diana in the last issue. It was just a neat little thematic tie-in to a previous Rucka storyline.

If I had to pick part anything, I'd say I kinda wish we saw a little bit more of Diana's thoughts on the events in this issue...we get a lot of talking from Hippolyta and her council about everything and, while well-written and character-building, it also seemed a bit...logistical.

In particular I wish we saw more...or anything, really...of Kasia's reaction to Diana leaving. Rucka kinda set her up as a significant figure in Diana's life and yet we don't see any reaction from her or Diana regarding the fact that they will probably never see each other again. In fact she doesn't even appear in the issue at all.

Other than that...it feels good to be so genuinely excited for a comic book again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Having a double whammy of Wonder Woman and Detective Comics on a bi-weekly basis is basically the highlight of my comics reading experience.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jaime Reyes is arguably the best character DC has created in the past ten years so who cares.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ew what.

Damian and Kate Kane, I'll grant, are good characters who have been in many good books (the latter of whom appeared in the exact same diversity wave that bothers you so much). Larfleeze is a one-note gimmick and Saint Walker is lameness personified. To place their exploits in the same rank as John Rogers' incredible Blue Beetle run is insane.

e: And like, I can't tell you how disappointing it is that the Lanterns representing hope throughout the galaxy turned out to be a cult of religious navel-gazers who couldn't actually do anything without Green Lanterns by their side.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 24, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Detective Comics...whoa okay. Fantastic drat issue, and obviously the ending is meant to make us think they're gonna do the thing...so, hopefully that means they totally will not do the thing. :ohdear: Please. You're doing so well, Tynion, don't ruin it by playing this the bad way.

"The Lies" portion of Wonder Woman, unfortunately, continues to be very much a slow burn; besides a few nice character moments (and I loved Diana's reaction to Steve's team. So perfect.) the story really doesn't move much from issue to issue.

The big-rear end takeaway of the issue comes only a couple pages in, in fact: the return of :haw: Sasha loving Bordeaux :haw: to DC canon, in a pretty major role from what we can tell, and a scene that's clearly meant to, well, remind us of Brother Eye...though, from their mentions of a "doctor," it would seem that Dr. Psycho is probably involved in...whatever all this is...as well? It's crazy how so many of Wonder Woman's biggest foes have been absent for so long from DC Comics, and it's really exciting to see Rucka playing with them all again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

A publicity stunt for what, exactly? Increasing diversity? Selling comics?

I am genuinely curious about how deeply you wanna dig this hole. I like it when posters are completely transparent with their terrible opinions.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, let's be fair that it does often come across like DC has the opposite goal in mind. :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

For the life of me I don't understand why didn't just use Steel in Cyborg's place. He's a good, defined, strong character with a lot of recognizable history; there would be some blather about how he's a Superman legacy fill-in, but it can't possibly outweigh the negatives of a completely unremarkable Cyborg presence for five years.

Or, better yet, use Natasha Irons. In a way she has even less history than Cyborg, but she's got way more personality and identity.

See, that's the thing about DC. There's so much potential in their well of characters and history, but they'll just play it the most generic, uninspired way and drag their feet and soon the competition beats them in the race that they should've been leading all along. Hello, Riri Williams; goodbye, any chance Natasha had at carving out a piece of that pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wally was pretty good in the latest Flash issue and seems fine in the TT preview so I look forward to people shutting up about this "problem" that's frankly pretty much fixed at this point.