Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Detective ended up surprising the hell out of me in the best way, this week. Good poo poo.

I thought sure based on the cover that it was going to be some 'Cass and Steph were Batgirls in the dark future that evil Tim was from', but... no, it wasn't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

And yeah, Clayface is apparently alive again despite the story making absolutely sure to tell us in no uncertain terms that he was super duper dead for realsies no takebacks, so I guess we just get to sidestep the whole issue of Kate killing him? Despite the fact that no one on the team actually knows Clayface is alive so there's no reason they should be sidestepping it like they are?

In all fairness, the person who confirmed that he was super duper dead is the person who he's leaving Gotham with, so presumably she was in on the ruse.

I guess it was probably as good an ending as we can expect in this day and age, but I feel like the book really suffered in the later half with its continual focus on Tim and Kate. I will actually be kind of happy if Tim and Steph just go away for a while given how they were handled in this book, but everyone seems to think it's leading to a Young Justice relaunch.

I will be super upset if the Babs mentoring Cass stuff doesn't lead to anything, or this is the extent of their interaction and we're supposed to believe the tutoring is happening off-panel.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

But the thing is then...why? Why the ruse? Why hide that Basil is alive, at least to the Gotham Knights crew? Everyone really liked him and would be glad to know that he's fine, even if he's leaving. The fact that Kate had to kill him made a great big rift in the team so it'd at least be nice to have that cleared up. As it stands, it just feels like tossing in a random tail-end to this character no matter how little sense it makes...and even then, it's not even very satisfying because the one person we would like to see Basil reunite with has to go on believing that he's still dead because...y'know. Just because. For reasons. v:v:v

I assume that the note he leaves Cass is to tell her that he's still alive. Kind of lame that we don't get to see her reaction, though.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

How is Detective Comics? I was enjoying it as the Bat-Team book, honestly because Cassandra, but I'm told it's started to fall off.

The new arc seems decent, and it's got more Cass in it so far than a lot of Tynion's run. I'm not completely sold on the new villain, but it's pretty clear this whole thing is just a stealth pilot for a new Outsiders with Black Lightning, Duke, and Cass.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

In happy news, because honestly, we'll be getting a Cassandra Cain book from DC INK called Shadow of the Batgirl.

And a title about Babs as Oracle. We live in strange times.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't DiDio the reason we had both Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown mostly shelved?

For the New 52, probably. DC has a weird double standard where there can be only one Batgirl, but a bazillion Robins.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, but at the same time, DC supposedly wouldn't let Tynion put a batsymbol on Cass's costume because they were afraid people would confuse her with Batgirl. Meanwhile, see the previously mentioned point about most of the Robins essentially looking exactly the same. Cass and Steph both had their own identities outside Batgirl, but that didn't stop DC from pushing them under the rug while specifically saying that they wanted every Robin to have their own book.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I still think 'Tec is pretty good, but I can't help but wonder what happened behind the scenes to make the solicit so much different than what happens in the book. It was clear for a while that this was going to be a stealth launch for an Outsiders title, and now I'm not so sure.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Really? I thought the ending of this issue made it even more super duper clear that this whole storyline is about assembling the Outsiders. With Katana just showing up out of nowhere for...well, for no reason whatsoever that I can discern, and with the emphasis on the tech being Markovian so Geo-Force is probably gonna appear really soon, it felt a lot like they're trying to cram a bunch of Outsiders stuff in here when it should, nominally, at most, be a story about one single outsider (...heh) character trying to understand and fit in with this Gotham crowd.

I don't know, I feel like some of that might be vestigial from when this was an Outsiders relaunch. So many things are kind of weird about this arc and strike me as stinking of editorial influence--the fact that the solicits all mention "the Brainiac files" which have never been mentioned in the story, Duke being basically instantly written out of the story, the Outsiders references basically being limited to a few classic Outsiders characters and Markovia being mentioned every now and then... It feels like this arc was meant to be grander, and has been cut down to just a story about Batman and some of his allies fighting a weirdo from Markovia.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

So I was wrong and the Outsiders title spinning out of 'Tec did finally get announced.

Looking forward to Cass and Katana being on the same team again.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's behind a paywall. Can you paste the interview?
Here's a bit of it in another link http://www.comicsbeat.com/bryan-hill-announces-new-batman-and-the-outsiders-series-coming-from-dc/

quote:

One of the most memorable stops for Bryan Edward Hill on the road to becoming a rising-star writer at DC Comics was a trip to a Ferrari dealership this year.

It was just announced that Hill would write a five-issue run (beginning with issue No. 983) for DC’s “Detective Comics,” the almost-80-year-old series that gave birth to Batman. Hill was in Los Angeles, where he resides, looking to get behind the wheel of something that was as expensive as it was fast.

Hill asked for the keys to an F430 for a test drive. He received a few funny looks. Then he said he was a new Batman writer, showing the announcement of his new assignment on his cellphone, and was quickly tossed a set of keys.

It wasn’t Batmobile practice so much as it was Bruce Wayne practice.

Hill wanted to do the kind of things he thought Batman’s alter ego would do. Zooming along the highway in Italian-built automotive muscle (Hill rode in the passenger seat on the test drive) was exactly the way he envisioned Bruce Wayne clearing his mind to get to the bottom of something perplexing.

“They say write what you know, and my response to that is if you want to write something you don’t know, just go out there and know it,” Hill told The Washington Post’s Comic Riffs. “What I wanted to do with ‘Detective’ is sort of illustrate a bit of what Bruce’s life is like outside of just being Batman.”

Now, Hill is finishing up his “Detective Comics” run with issue No. 987, available Wednesday in print and digitally.

In addition to having fun with Wayne, Hill also helped flesh out a supporting cast consisting of superhero Black Lightning, occasional Batman sidekicks Batgirl and Orphan (who was also once Batgirl), recent Batcave addition the Signal, and Katana of Suicide Squad fame.

For Hill, who is African American, the chance to write not only Batman but also Black Lightning, a black superhero going through a pop-culture moment thanks to a hit CW show, and diverse additions to the Batman universe such as Orphan and the Signal was meaningful.

“When you talk about representation, I think too many times the discussion heads towards the political. I don’t think it’s a political issue, I think it’s a mythological issue. Myth exists to give us heroic ideals. If you grow up, and you never see yourself as one of those heroes, you start to limit what you think you might be able to do in life,” Hill said. “To be able to write these characters and hopefully allow other people to see themselves in those roles and kind of think about what they could do in the world and how they could be heroes . . . that’s one of the most important functions of mythology and society. And comic books are one of the last places where mythology lives.”

[The Signal looks to shine in the daytime in the Batman universe]

Hill also will be a part of the talent behind the resurgence of Vertigo Comics later this fall when the DC imprint celebrates its 25th anniversary with seven new series.

One of those new titles will be Hill’s “American Carnage” (illustrated by Leandro Fernández), a crime comic that will focus on a half-black, half-white FBI agent who can pass for white, looking for redemption from a controversial past by working undercover in the world of white supremacy.

Part of what led to the creation of “American Carnage” was Hill creating an online persona on white-supremacist message boards, saying that it was the deadly church shooting in South Carolina by Dylann Roof that made him want to understand a type of hate he couldn’t comprehend.

“I’d seen what was going on, kind of percolating with these different extremist movements. And it started with, I need to know why these people want to kill me,” Hill said. “In 2018, with all the evidence around you that we can build a nation of multicultural strength and gather that into an inherent American culture, to stick to that old, antiquated near-Reconstruction way of thinking, I just needed to know where that came from.”

What Hill wants to make clear about “American Carnage” is that he’s not trying to get political.

“It’s not diatribe. It’s not me preaching against one thing or another thing,” Hill said. “It’s really me telling a story about a character who is struggling with his own sense of self, and he’s kind of an outcast, because of the choices he’s made.”

Those wondering about Hill’s next DC project need only look at the hint that was left in the title of his “Detective Comics” story “On the Outside.” Hill has been asked frequently on social media by fans whether his work on “Detective”would coincide with a new “Batman and the Outsiders” series. He and DC Comics now tell Comic Riffs that it is happening.

Written by Hill and illustrated by Dexter Soy, “Batman and the Outsiders” will star the same heroes Hill worked with in “Detective Comics.” DC will confirm a release date in the coming months.

“All I’ll say is, it is a team book with Batman in it, but the safety is off,” Hill said. “Hopefully it will be surprising and thrilling in ways that I don’t think people will quite expect. I’m becoming known a bit for a certain kind of intensity in my work, and I think this ‘Outsiders’ project will also continue on in that pathway.”

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm glad Cass is experiencing kind of a renaissance with the Outsiders, her graphic novel, and an appearance in a movie on the horizon after being ignored and treated like poo poo for so long.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I know DC is dumb, but I cant believe editorial would hand down something that insanely loving stupid.

If you think that, then you don't know dick rick.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Doomsday Clock is Johns getting back at Moore for saying that his entire career is based on a 12 page story Moore told.

Owning Alan Moore for saying my career is based on his works by continuing to base my career on works by Alan Moore.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I can't get over how they decided to redesign both Dick and Jason, and now they look even more exactly the same than before.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Big props to Dick Warlock, Dick Trickle, and Dick Smothers, Jr.

There's also one of my personal favorites, baseball player Dick Pole.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

And thus D_T's twisted plan comes to fruition...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I remember when Solstice was introduced as the next big thing. I still don't know why she became a weird charcoal ghost or whatever in the New 52.