Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

Warren Ellis says his Wildstorm reboot, that surely will go off without a hitch and certainly won't be delayed no sir, is not set in the DC Universe it's a completely different reality and reboot.

Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't think any of the new 'New Spider-Man' characters (because for the most part, that's what characters like these ultimately are, attempts to capture that lightning in the bottle) from either company ever really caught on until Jaime Blue Beetle, at least not any already tied into A-list characters like Impulse, Robin or Batgirl.

Jamie never really caught on. His books are consistently low sellers it's just that DC keeps wasting money giving him a big marketing push. SAD!

Kamala Khan and Miles were way bigger succes stories.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Is the Ann Nocenti Klarion series based on Morrisons Seven Soldier version or is it a total reboot?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a new version of Klarion, like the rest of the N52It was about something like a magic school battling a mystical technology based school.
I actually didn't think it was bad, but I didn't finish it for whatever reason. Cool art.

There are two old issues of Robin guest starring Klarion, with Frasier Irving art that you could read instead, if you haven't.
https://www.comixology.com/Robin-1993-2009-157/digital-comic/28383?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvSXNzdWVz

That wasn't the case for all books though. Green Lantern and Batman Inc just continued as usual with minor revisions andThe Shade and Frankenstien were clearly based on the previous incarnations in Starman and Seven Soldiers respectively. I knew klarion didn't continue the story from the Seven soldiers mini but I was wondering if klarion and his supporting cast were based on Morrisons take on the character (like Frankenstien and Shining Knight) or was it a completely new version/new spin (like Lobo and Earth 2)? I'm assuming your saying it's completely different from the SS version.

And as a follow up, I guess the klarion in the most recent Teen Titans run was the nocenti version?

I haven't seen those robin issues so I'll definitely check those out though

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 11, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Geoff Johns' Teen Titans is collected and is good, if worse than the other suggestions here. On the bright side you'll miss out on a lot of why it gets some animosity if you start with it.

I've read it. Why does it get animosity?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

Young Justice was cancelled for it, and they changed some characters a lot (Bart) in ways that really did not make sense. Superboy also had his origin changed based off an idea that Johns had in the past, and it was much darker than Young Justice.

Oh yea I knew about the Superboy fan fiction stuff that was awful. I remember being bothered with the explantation on why Impulse would become Kid Flash ("I hate everything about you wally but I'm going to assume your old identity to prove I'm better than you! But really just because Geoff & DC want to wank off silver age fans").

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

The art in the DCYou series is worth trying it, at least. There should still be the free eight page sampler story floating around somewhere.

Solicits are coming out and Superman is going all Multiversity :swoon:

It's even got the art team from the wrapper issues of Multiversity.

God drat it every time I want to drop Superman Tomasi pulls me back in. First Frankenstein and now this.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

Captain Atom is gonna get killed by Dr. Manhattan for copyright infringement.

But Doctor Manhattan is just a pastiche of Captain Atom and there both owned by the same corporation!

I hope people don't sleep on this series because 1) Captain Atom is awesome and 2) the writing team is Cary Bates (the dude who wrote the awesome CA series in the 80s) with Greg Weisman (Young Justice, Star Wars Rebels, Gargoyles, etc.)

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

I'm not a big Tomasi fan and was only buying the book because of the eradicator story. I actually prefer Dan Jurgens Action Comics. I'm more interested in following the multiple clarks/Oz/multiple Supermen story than I am Jon Kent growing up and learning how to be Superboy.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

purple death ray posted:

We found the one guy in BSS with worse opinions than WickedHate and he's a huge racist! I got a bingo!

I'm not a racist

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

The Question IRL posted:

The part I find funny is the use of the term Sunshine Superman. That was a nickname that showed up on Battle boards (like Wizard World, Superhero Showdown, CBR's Rumble Board etc...) as the fan name for when Superman plunged into the Sun to supercharge himself (like what happened in the end of Our World At War arc. )

It's funny to see that in the actual continuity.

Sunshine Superman is a Morrison creation from that world he made that had all the 70s characters on it

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
The real news is that Batwoman is teaming up with Mother Panic in January!

quote:

Mother Panic is hot on the trail of the murderous artist Gala! Only one person stands in her way...Batwoman?! Is there a place for Violet among the heroes of Gotham City, or will her quest for vengeance take her down a darker path? This issue also features an original “Gotham Radio” back-up feature by Jim Krueger (JUSTICE) and Phil Hester (Green Arrow)!

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 18, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Continuity isn't important to DC? DC doesn't manage continuity well?

I think John Ostrander, Geoff Johns, and James Robinson would take issue with that!

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Roth posted:

The first isn't true but the second is.

They tried multiple times after COIE to fix continuity issues multiple times with none of them really working out, and the New 52 brought in its own host of continuity issues, from Batman's history to multiple issues with the Teen Titans' history.

Didn't Zero Year (& the #0 issues of various related titles) and Titans Hunt basically clean up any issues with their respective histories?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Zero Year, although being an absolutely excellent story, made the history of the Bat-Books even more convoluted and stupid, because it did stuff like give Barbara Gordon a five-year timer during which she decides to start crime-fighting, becomes Batgirl, becomes Batman's sidekick, learns his secret identity, falls in love with Dick Grayson, then gets shot/kidnapped/stripped naked/sexually assaulted by the Joker and turned into Oracle all within the three years immediately after Zero Year. These three years encompass every single Babs Batgirl story in history pre-Oracle, all of which are explicitly considered canon. Then, every single Oracle story - again, all of which (with a notable exception to be addressed later on in this post) are explicitly canon - occurred within a single year until Oracle was made aware of a unlicensed and possibly illegal surgery occurring in Africa which might give her back her mobility. She gets the surgery, spends a year in rehabilitation, and at the beginning of the N52 she's more or less back to normal.

As a note, Barbara Gordon was the one and only canon Batgirl according to the N52, which means that Stephanie Brown/Cassandra Cain never existed. Which specifically invalidates large sections of Grant Morrison's Batman run, which was stil ongoing and canon by the time the N52 started. That doesn't address Tim Drake, who according to the N52 was never technically a Robin - putting his stories in a weird non-canon limbo - or the fact that one of those five years between ZY and N52 was spent with a Gotham as a post-apocalyptic wasteland (since No Man's Land is explicitly canon within the N52). I could go on, but the N52 turned the Bat-Books and their canon into loving spaghetti. It makes literally zero sense, because the N52 went OUT OF ITS WAY to ensure that every single Batman story ever was not only canon but occurred within a five-year gap of time, unless they involved Tim Drake as Robin, Stephanie Brown in any capacity, or Cassandra Cain in any capacity. And, worse still, had an ongoing comic by a creator who used as main characters people who didn't technically exist any more.

What part about Doctor Manhattan manipulating the timeline did you not understand?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Why the gently caress are you bringing up a Rebirth development to counter a point made about the N52. You are aware that the N52 ran for five years before Rebirth awkwardly attempted to retcon it, right?

The same reason I brought up Zero Year and Titans Hunt (both of which came way after N52 started). My point was they have fixed all the continuity issues at this point.

Benito Cereno posted:

Depends on what you like. There are a number of runs that are considered great, but many of them are really of their time.

If you like Silver Age comics, the original run of stories from Adventure Comics are some of the Silver Age-iest stuff you'll ever see, except that, because the book was set in the future, they didn't have to return to the status quo like most books did. So some stories have consequences, like Lightning Lad getting his arm eating by a space whale, for example. If you can find a cheap used copy of the Showcases, grab 'em if you like Silver Age DC. Alternatively, if you can find a copy of the Death of Ferro Lad HC, that's got stories by Jim Shooter after he took over the book at 14 and strangely invigorates it with ton of crazy teenager ideas.

By the '70s, you've got Dave Cockrum on the book, when it was the hottest book on the stands. That's in, like, Showcase Presents LoSH vol 5 or so, which might even still be in print.

Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen are considered basically the Claremont/Byrne of LoSh, and their most famous story is The Great Darkness Saga. It might help to have at least a little grounding in the team before reading that one, though.

There's a bunch of stuff by Keith Giffen after that including a time jump, none of which is in print, but a lot of which might be on Comixology. I haven't really read this era, but it has its fans, and if you like Giffen, why not, right?

The most common answer you're going to get is to pick up the post-Zero Hour Legion, aka the Reboot Legion. The continuity of the book got rebooted to deal with changes to Superman's history post-Crisis. This stuff is really good. It's Abnett and Lanning at the top of their game, with art by Olivier Coipel. If you want to get into an extended run of the book, this is probably the one to do?

After that is the Threeboot Legion, which is by Mark Waid and Barry Kitson, and is great, but pretty different from the previous incarnations. If you like Mark Waid, definitely get this, but be aware that he doesn't get to finish what he was doing, and this version will quickly be dropped.

If you're like, "Okay, I just want to dip my toe in" and you just want to try one story, I would say make it Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank from their run on Action Comics. It will give you a good idea of the main characters and their whole deal in one six-issue story. It is, in my opinion, probably Johns's best story ever. This represents a return to basically the pre-Crisis Legion following continuity changes following Infinite Crisis. It leads into Legion of Three Worlds, which was part of Final Crisis, and which rules, but might be confusing without at least cursory knowledge of the previous incarnations of the team.

Don't read anything after that, basically.

How was Jim Shooter's run on the Threeboot legion?

Also was Paul Levitz series that spun out of Legion of Three Worlds any good?

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 19, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

catlord posted:

Batman and Robin Eternal, I believe. He did not get an ongoing, but they have been reprinting his series and Cass' run as Batgirl.

Azrael briefly had an ongoing just before new 52 during Morrison's Batman run which is probably what he's thinking of. I don't know much of anything about it but I think people complained that it was a new Azrael and not John Paul Valley?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

What Manhattan actually did isn't even known at this point. Some people have said it's the Pre-Flashpoint Universe with 10 years removed and some have said it's a whole other continuity. The most likely scenario is that it is the Pre-Flashpoint Universe but that Manhattan has removed 10 years from every character but it's a different and incongruous 10 years for every character. And that's not a fix. It's a "Just shut up and ignore it" directive.

its water under a bridge. DC continuity is air tight now.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Onmi posted:

It did not help that DC could not keep Nu52 continuity consistent even within the Nu52. My favorite example is "What the gently caress is Kyle Rayner's backstory?"

New Guardians opens with Kyle getting his ring from Ganthet is a similar style to how he received it originally, changes being that the CPB was still intact but Ganthet still pulled himself from the corpses of the guardians. He is still the "Torchbearer" though what that means is unclear. But then, when we're flashing back during the second arc of New Guardians (his quest for the White Lantern stuff) all of a sudden, Kyle's backstory shows him and Ganthet flying through Oa and everyones alive and everythings in one piece. So... did the guardians just throw a massive kegger and Ganthet overestimated how much they were needed? How about his complicated love life. Kyle was still Ion at some point, which means that Jade must have been involved, but not only did Jade not exist, but Alan Scott was in Earth 2 and homosexual. Okay so if Jade wasn't involved then was Donna? Nope because she didn't exist, which meant the only love interest he had who did exist was Alex (Soranik was also conspicuously absent, which also didn't make much sense) But Kyle, for better or worse, is defined by those he was in a relationship with, it would be like someone doing Spiderman and cutting out Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane. You could and you'd still have something, but so much of Peter's adventures are defined by who he loved.

What's weirder is Green Lantern was supposed to have continued on from where it had left off Pre-Nu52. And yet nothing the character was doing made sense with that concept in mind. The saddest thing was, the more they tried to explain it, the LESS sense it made. It wasn't that DC had thrown out over 60 years of continuity (I mean it was that to a degree but go with me on this) but They couldn't decided if they were going to throw it all out or just part. You cannot have your cake and eat it to.

To be honest Rebirth has the same issues. It's just we're all so happy to be done with the Nu52 (To a degree) that we wont complain

This really isn't anything new for DC. I know you young bucks out there like to pick on new 52 because its an easy target but there was also mass confusion and continuity errors after Crisis when they merged not only the worlds of Earth-1 and 2 but also absorbed other comic companies publishing lines (Fawcett, Charlton, Quality, etc.) all into one reality and then on top of that rebooted several characters (Supes, Batman, Wondy, Hawkman, etc.) from scratch. Waves of characters got totally displaced like Donna Troy, Hawkman/Girl, Superboy/Girl, etc. and redundancies like Plastic Man and Doll Man disappeared completely until Morrison revived them a decade and a half later. Most sensible people just rolled with it though and some logical retcons were made such as the JSA were around for WW2 but disbanded during the McCarthy era, The Legion Superboy was not Superman but actually a Superboy from a pocket dimension, the Wonder Woman who fought in WW2 with the JSA was a time traveling Hippoloyta, and Supergirl was an extra dimensional being known as the Matrix that morphed into Supergirl.

Then came Zero Hour which also messed with a lot of characters continuities messing up Hawkman even more and changing Batman's history to where he was an urban legend until recently invalidating a ton of stories and the Legion got totally rebooted due to Hal Jordan's (Who was under the influence of the space parasite Parallax) meddling with time.

DC just does house cleaning every so many years to keep the line fresh and keep fans talking but eventually they find sensible ways to smooth out continuity.

I'll tell you what the real problem with DC is....this constantly replacing beloved characters with focus group approved "socially acceptable" versions. So now Ted Kord who has a rich history in the DCU isn't good enough so he's shown the door for a latino blue beetle and apparently time travel somehow made Ray, Alan Scott, and Natasha Irons gay and Helena Bertenelli black. I'm still waiting for the retcon explanation for that.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 19, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

New page. Everyone go get Cave Carson on Comixology and skip to the Tom Scioli backup instead of whatever you're about to argue about.

I want to trade wait but if I do I'm afraid there gonna do something funky and not include the backup stuff

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

purple death ray posted:

I like how everyone will just ignore the fact that American Dracula is a huge idiot racist and try to include him in the discussion and his response is to say more idiot racist stuff. Can we please get him out of here now? WickedHate catches a ton of poo poo every time she posts anywhere but for some reason people are civil to this clown.

Ummmm how about no? If I was a racist I sure as poo poo would also hate Bloodwynd, Black Condor, Black Panther, Steel, etc etc et loving cetra except I love those characters! Why can't you get it through your big dumb head that what I don't like is just changing poo poo for the sake of change or just to score points in the media. It's articles like these that irritate me: http://tvline.com/2016/08/11/gay-superhero-freedom-fighters-the-ray-cw-seed-arrow/

First the article starts with "He’s here. He’s superhuman. Get used to it." which is so loving stupid when A)comics were one of the first entertainment mediums to accurately portray gay people, show them in positive light, and there have been gay characters since the 90s when I first started reading comics B) comic fans have for the most part always embraced these characters. So why is the article written like "this ain't your childhood comics we got gay heroes now and y'all better get used to it!" Like wtf with the hostility and then the article is riddled with numerous inaccuracies and no attempts at fact checking (The Ray was first introduced in Justice League in the 70s wtf?) these writers are the kinds of people Dan Didio wants to cater too. I just hate things like sticking cyborg in the Justice league and pretending this is the first time the Justice League has portrayed diversity when loving Justice League International was doing a far better job of it in the 80s (not to mention Detroit, JLA, Extreme Justice, and Meltzer and Mcduffies runs) it's just a bunch of baloney and cheap ways to attract attention without actually doing it in a meaningful way that serves the story and the DC universe. You want gay characters fine Batwoman, Bunker, and Midnighter being a supporting character in grayson and then getting his own title were all good ways to do it. Wanting to turn the Ray gay just for some headlines and to pretend this is the first time we're going to have a diverse Justice league that reflects America just grates me.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

WickedHate posted:

No artist can make that costume work. Wally is the Red Robin of the Flash family now.

That costume is way better than any of the Red Robin outfits

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

hup posted:

Actual Lobo is back (also, he and Black Canary are in the JLA) http://comicsalliance.com/lobo-black-canary-batman-justice-league-of-america-roster/

I wish it was Superman instead of Batman but otherwise hell yes. Reminds me of the Justice League teams from the mid 90s.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
The fact that Black Canary and The Ray are going to be working together again makes me even more pissed that they changed The Ray's backstory. Hopefully this team sticks around for DC Vs. Watchmen and leads to an ackward moment when the characters get their memories back.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Unironically yes, there's like zero transman representation anywhere in media. Not necessarily Canary, just anyone. Personally I think a trans Superman would be pretty cool. Bits of the dead Superman flew all over, maybe someone else got some of his powers.

Isn't Shining Knight trans?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

WickedHate posted:

He is, but knowing you, I can't tell if you mean it as "uh this one d-lister is a trans man, your argument is invalid"

Someone asked about trans male characters and he came to mind There was no hidden meaning. Jesus Christ.

Blockhouse posted:

sleeping on steve orlando is a mistake my man

Night of the monster men and his supergirl book are kind of boring

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Since when is Poison Ivy a lesbian? Is that some new 52 thing?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I honestly didn't know that but I'll be honest you guys freaking out gave me a hearty chuckle.

#notahomophobe

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Sugar & Spike will be regulars in Blue Beetle beginning with issue 3.

I have been reading DC Comics since 1992 and have never heard of them until 5 minutes ago. Have they been in anything noteworthy?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

purple death ray posted:

They were in some of the Convergence stuff I think? I think they had some back ups in something over the last year.

You racist.

Oh learn a new tune already

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

I like talking about comics but I don't want to be cyber bullied while doing it

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
so apperabtly I'm getting banned for supporting Clinton. Just wanted to say my good bye and that it was nice talking with all of you!