Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
As someone who generally doesn't care about the big main DC books, I'm kinda excited for the Rebirth books. There are a couple of minor characters I'm hoping have some place in Rebirth (Midnighter, Harper Row, Catwoman, etc) but I wouldn't be surprised if Midnighter ended up in Grayson, Harper in Birds of Prey, etc v:v:v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dear DC: Please add more characters to The Hellblazer, like Zatanna, Deadman, and Nightmare Nurse. Then rename the book "Justice League Dark".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

EDIT: Man I just read that whole Rucka post, man he sounds salty as hell about a company he's working for again. Also it seems his Black Magick book is going on hiatus for a year because of this. So if you like that book sorry I guess!

:( It wasn't like "grade A amazing, cancel Wonder Woman if it means no Black Magick" good but I enjoyed it, especially the artwork. Mostly it going on break sucks because it has been a slow building book that hasn't really gotten to its payoff yet, so it'll either wrap up quick or end randomly and come back a year later, maybe.

More Rebirth feelings: Are Jim Gordon or Duke, that guy from We Are Robin, in anything? I know they could always pop up in Detective Comics or something but just adding to my list of "DC-You characters I hope come back in DC Rebirth".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

As of Batman #50 Jim Gordon's police commissioner again, so he's almost guaranteed to be a regular face in King's Batman and quite likely Detective Comics as well. In that same issue Bruce is shown approaching Duke saying he has an "offer" for him. It was assumed Duke was going to be the new official Robin, but after todays announcements I dont know if that's still the popular rumor.

:v: Yeah, I hadn't read Batman #50 but I have seen the screenshots of Bruce being back and Duke becoming Robin, presumably but none of the solicits I was seeing mentioned anything about either of them so I was wondering if any of the Batman writers mentioned their plans for either character.

It kinda feels like a lot of stuff that happened/is happening in DC You is just kinda going out the window. I get that this is just a regular quirk of relaunches; plot threads wrap up quickly and the new books don't necessarily pick up plot threads left over from the pre-relaunch books, but I was kinda looking forward to stuff like a new official Robin, Harper Row and Midnighter being in stuff, etc.

E:

Barry Convex posted:

Kinda lovely that they apparently screwed over Marguerite Bennett at the last minute in favor of Rucka, though.

According to her Patreon, at least part of why she had to back out of Wonder Woman because of some "expensive surgery" she had :(. Between Wonder Woman, Angela: Queen of Hel over at Marvel, and Bombshells probably not continuing into Rebirth, this is some bad news for Bennett all around. I really hope DC or Marvel gives her something.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 27, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Joker is actually a figment of Batman's imagination. Nobody has ever wanted to correct the World's Greatest Detective. All those times he fought the Joker he was just fighting the air.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They'll either merge or one dies horribly.

Why not both? It would tie in wonderfully with the themes of DC Rebirth: two characters combining together to form a new corpse.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Crazy prediction: Superwoman is Nu52 Superman finally coming out as transgender.

(I am not serious. A transgender superhero could be really awesome and I'd have to give DC applause for making such a big character transgender, but there is no way in hell modern DC would take that kind of risk)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

As a non-New Yorker, my mental image of Brooklyn is the same as my mental image of any given district of London. "That sure is a place in that city. Couldn't tell you the first thing about who lives in it or where it is."

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DC Rebirth is kicked off by a plot by the Joker to extinguish the sun. It works but then Nu52 Supes solar flares so hard he turns into the new sun.

Lane then finds an old Superman costume, tailors it a bit to fit her, puts it on, and goes off to see how long she can convince people she has superpowers in Superwoman.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

So if Rebirth doesn't take off, what will DC's next rebrand be? Keep the theme with DC Resurrection, go even more meat and potatoes with DC Batman and Harley, or go bold by releasing all books under Vertigo?

(NOTE: I don't actually think Rebirth will be a failure at least compared to DC You, I'm mostly joking)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I vaguely remember some imgur album of a fan edit of a DC event series (Final Crisis I think?) that someone posted in the last DC thread or a past chat thread. All I remember for sure about it is it has Superboy saying "doggies love Superboy! And doggies love genocide!" Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about/a link to the album I'm thinking of?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Jiro posted:

That's Penguin Patrol and E&C doing EDITED Crisis #4. From that gently caress awful Infinite Crisis. Final Crisis is a treasure that exists despite Dan Didio's best efforts.

:tipshat: That's it, thanks!

Also I just realized/figured out that the upcoming Superwoman book is probably about the Superwoman who was part of the Crime Syndicate :downs:. I totally forgot there was someone still in the current DC world calling herself that and I thought some random lady was going to get Kryptonian powers like with New Superman.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Joker needs to be a figment of Harley Quinn's imagination, representing her inner demons and self loathing. He never actually existed.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Were you just starting to feel good about 2016 DC?
Bloodlines #1 Preview: http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/bloodlines-dc-comics/

I was going to say that as someone who never read the original Bloodlines I'm still curious about Bloodlines 2016 but then I saw that art and while I've definitely seen worse, that's um really killing my curiosity.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Without spoiling too much, I think it was really bold of Grant to have all the preview images we've seen of the book be the only appearances of Diana in the whole book, and after she dies the whole book becomes about Grail becoming the new Wonder Woman.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm betting in the next two issues of Justice League, the Crime Syndicate Superwoman/Lois Lane will become a good guy and get a more Superman-like costume. This prediction is based on :butt:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Picklepuss posted:

Is he back on heroin? He looks like trailer trash.

In Titans he's an alcoholic again. I don't think Lobdell has implied he is in the Lobdell-verse but then again that hat is a sign something has gone horribly wrong in Roy's life.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Roy has been an alcoholic since the start of the N52.

In fact, Killer Croc is his AA sponsor

My bad; in Titans he's actively drinking again, in RHaA, he's a recovering alcoholic. I know he's been a alcoholic for a while now (apparently since the start of N52), but when I said "he's an alcoholic again" I meant he's drinking again in Titans (which is inaccurate since a recovering alcoholic can still be called "an alcoholic").

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

We've sold out of every printing of every issue. We literally can not get enough copies. Meanwhile I sell one copy of the core WW title off the shelf if I'm lucky.

Whoever that lone reader is needs to either start reading Legends, or just accept the current WW is a sunk cost at this point.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Jason has completed his transformation into DC Red Skull as his mask can now furrow its brows. At this point, if the Red Hood artists can't resist the urge to give his mask a face, I kinda wish they would just ditch the mask and give Jason a red hoodie.

Also lol the loving 4 barrel gun.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair, he tried his best to help her. Goign so far to get her checked by a psychiatrist and she rejected his help.

I mean, if Jason thought one session with a therapist was all it should have taken and if he thinks JD relapsing/rejecting psychiatric help is a failure on her part, I don't think Jason should be offering psychiatric help to anyone.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Was more Duela rubbing in his face that everything was a ruse actually.

Yeah I know, that's my point though; if he's so upset by the fact a person he considered mentally ill wasnt responding to treatment and was even hostile to getting treated, he probably shouldn't have involved himself in the mental health/treatment of a mentally ill stranger to begin with. My point was you can't say "to be fair he tried to help her" when he's so clearly lovely at it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Um so Scott Lobdell killed one of the worst characters DC's shat out in years? gently caress, give the man an Eisner, I say.

Yeah while I think it'd kinda messed up Jason did it because he sucks at psychology, I'm still counting it as a win for Lobdell. If DC/Lobdell wanted to turn Red Hood into the garbageman of bad DC villains I'd be all for it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

First ask yourself where the gun comes from.

Because it just magically appears in her hand.

I think we're forced to assume that she pulled it from Red Hood's.... pants? Jacket pocket? Invisible holster? Any of the three incarnations of that gun are too big for any of those but it makes way more sense than JD having it on her the whole time.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I've been assured there are stories with new Joker's Daughter that aren't poo poo but based on all available evidence I find that hard to believe.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Madkal posted:

DC solicits for July are up. Nothing really jumping out at me.

Looking at the Teen Titans Rebirth and Teen Titans #22 covers (I guess TT isn't resetting its count?), that cover looks like it has the current team including Tim (who we know for sure is leaving for Damian) and no Kid Flash or Starfire. Does Rebirth have a different team than the actual ongoing book, or does the cover randomly have the old team?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Rebirth TT series is coming later. No idea why they didn't just finish on Greg Pak's story.

Several DCYou series seem to be going right up until they get replaced, or just not stopping in June/July, though I can't imagine there'll be more than one more issue after these solicits for stuff like Doctor Fate.
There were way less "Final Issue"'s in the last two months than expected.

How... strangely confusing. I mean I can't complain that the DCYou books are getting a bit more time to wrap up, and it might feel a bit weird to wrap up the current TT with Pak's Wondergirl arc before she, Power Girl, and Bunker disappear from DC for a while, but the DCYou July solicits don't really sound "Final Issue-y" to me either, so I don't really know what Teen Titans gets from another 3 issue arc :shrug:.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 19, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I assume Guerrilla Fighter Harley supposed to be the Suicide Squad version of her because that costume doesn't look like it'd work in the Connor/Palmiotti-verse.

It's the only costume I straight up dislike (although I am similarly disappointed Cruz's costume is becoming more generic/Green Lantern-ified).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Power Ring has traditionally been an opposite version of Hal from Earth 3, he's all quivering and fearful and being ordered around by his evil alien ring.
Once he was killed in Forever Evil, the ring flew off to find another fearful person and got her. She'd been through a massive trauma, had a psychological break and was living locked in her apartment.
It controlled her for a while, but she overcame it, or she's in the process of that right now.

That's all been a part of the turned around good post-Forever Evil JL. Worth reading. You get all that Lex Luthor and chair Batman too.

Somewhat worth mentioning that the time between "Jessica is possessed by the ring" and "Jessica partners with the Justice League to do missions" is like a couple of hours. It's been a little while since I read it but if memory serves Flash determines that the ring can't be removed (or Jessica doesn't want it removed?) so they do the only rational thing and put her in the field.

I'm definitely not complaining that "they didn't go introduce the new character slowly enough, they should have dragged out Jessica begging the team to take her along for a few more issues!" but it just seemed funny to me how quickly it all happened in world v:v:v.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I admit I'm personally biased here (could not give less of a poo poo about the H-B stuff), I think there are enough of them coming out that they could support their own thread.

No harm in trying it out for a bit and if nobody posts in the H-B thread just bringing it back to this one.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

He's not a garbage tier artist and DC gives work to worse artists, but he's definitely the highest profile bad artist I can think of offhand.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I kinda wish DC would stop trying to make Deadshot's armor look good and just make him a regular guy with a red eyepatch/eye replacement thing. Also give him a gimmick/personality more interesting than "guy with guns who shoots other guys with guns and has a sad daughter".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I like the idea of a Green Lantern recognizing hey, these rings short out/gently caress up/ditch you all the time, so let's carry a back up weapon I'm fairly familiar with. I just wish it wasn't so front and center like he's the goddamn Punisher or something

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

It'll be a Deathstroke crossover, for sure.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen Flash drawn in a way I like but that artist is only slightly less not-my-thing than the last Flash artist.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's also (I'm guessing from the circular emblem) Earth 3 Lois in shadows there :D
e: I guess red and white Superlady is Lana? She's mentioned in the solicit, but isn't on the cover otherwise.

I'm guessing this is going to be as confusing as possible, so the circular emblem woman is Earth 3 Lois, who also calls herself Superwoman, and red and white lady is the "Ultra Woman" that the solicit mentions who will be unrelated to the Earth 3 Ultraman that might still be around if Earth 3 Superwoman is still around.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The new logo's not bad, but yeah best I can say is "that sure is a logo". :geno: Those blocky letters feel sorta dated but I'm no graphics design guy so I can't say that with any kind of authority.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You don't have to be a graphics design guy to judge a logo meant for you to digest, anyhow.

Oh I know :v:. I just meant that as a non-GD guy I don't know if that kind of blocky text is actually dated per se, but I DO know I don't like it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is a page running in today's comics before an info section on the upcoming Batman comics.

I don't think it's also an ad for shoes. I did have to check the small print at the side.

I think this is some kind of meta-ad, advertising that DC does indeed still advertise. "Don't worry DC fans, we're going to put up ads around your city so that your non-comic-reading friends can see them and ask 'so what's Batman up to?', and you can start telling them for 20 seconds before they go 'nevermind, forget I asked'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Norns posted:

Hey, I got Tom King Batman. That's something at least.

Never underestimate DC's ability to turn what should be a wonderful thing into a monkey's paw curse.