Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah there are definitely some books missing. Seems like they rolled out their big guns and the smaller stuff will be saved for later.

But drat some of these teams look amazing. Greg Rucka on Wonder Woman, Giffen on Blue Beetle, Williamson on Flash, Orlando on Supergirl are especially books I will look into grabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So 24 issues on a double shipping schedule is about a year worth of books. Just in time for the next DC relaunch in June 2017!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

EDIT: Man I just read that whole Rucka post, man he sounds salty as hell about a company he's working for again. Also it seems his Black Magick book is going on hiatus for a year because of this. So if you like that book sorry I guess!
Eh I read the first four issues of it and couldn't get quite as sucked into it like I was with Lazarus. But it makes sense that the book would go on hiatus since both him and Nicola Scott work on it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly the only stuff I would want Rucka to change has to do with the Amazons and their history and attitudes. That was the one sore spot for pretty much everyone when it came to his run.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

Reminder that The Omega Men fuckin owns. Two issues left...

I'm considering going all-digital except maybe Marvel titles since those come with a digital copy, but I'm glad to be able to show Omega Men some small measure of support via physical pull list. C'mon DC, either release "DC Unlimited" or include download codes.
From what I heard, there are some legality issues in regards to trademarks with creating a DC Unlimited platform similar to Marvel's. Especially where older comics are involved, as opposed to more modern ones.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Those Way imprint books look awesome. Might need to try them all at least once.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Really like the touch with the bird pecking it in classic style.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
That's not all that surprising. There have been plenty of Lois Lanes who are some version of Superwoman. I know there is a section of the internet who has been rallying for a Lois Lane led book, though with her as a reporter as opposed to a superhero. I imagine this is the best they will get of their wishes for now and getting Jimenez on it is as good as getting Rucka on Wonder Woman.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Isn't her name Aleka in Azz's Wondy or are we just ignoring his run altogether like Wondy usually suffers?
I'm guessing Aleka and Artemis just aren't the same character, which is plausible enough.

And yeah there's definitely some relation between Superwoman and Thor in Marvel right now, although (spoilers for Thor) I would say the major difference is that Jane is actively choosing to kill herself over being Thor - she can stop at any time and take her chemo properly, but the call to heroism makes every treatment she takes completely useless. Also that Superman is still going to be around, while Odinson is more or less not present due to be imprisoned.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

More people should be reading Legend of Wonder Woman. It's really good guys.
It's really a shame that the writer is fairly certain at this point that DC won't be coming to request a sequel story from her, due to low sales. Which is kind of crazy since in March the 3rd print issue sold more than We Are Robin or Catwoman's 50th issue (which is pretty depressing on its own when the current awful Wonder Woman run's 50th issue sold over 30k.) For a digital first book that's pretty strong.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think I trust a Chinese man that a certain name can be considered both Chinese and Japanese in origin than I trust some twitter people on it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

I wish they would let whoever is doing the Sugar and Spike part of Legends of Tomorrow do a full comic with them. I'm not buying an $8 book for a small story I'm interested in among several others I'm not, but every time I see panels of it somewhere I get tempted. I saw one panel where they go to Superman Island and that's the kind of book I would like to read.
I'm almost certain when that anthology hits the trades, the stories will be properly split into their own separate trades because they all together make up 6-issue stories. It's a shame DC just doesn't have a market for these niche titles right now, as DCYou proved.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

Green Lanterns by Alex Garner
This art style is seriously amazing.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Like the art but yeesh the twist of Canary's body here. Especially when she was facing Ollie in the panel just before this spread.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Endless Mike posted:

Oh gently caress that.
At least we still got Lazarus!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Darwyn was known for speaking his mind and not giving much of a gently caress about what people thought of him, and that went for his art as well. And while I think Didio's comment is misplaced, I don't think he meant it with any ill intent. If there is anger in it, then it must be more directed to the fact that Cooke died so suddenly after his family went public with the news (though I imagine Didio has known for some time, since he's an executive.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Good news for anyone who likes the digital Legend of Wonder Woman: DC has approved a sequel. With this, Greg Rucka's return and the movie, it's an all around good time to be a Wonder Woman fan.

And if you don't like, then you clearly haven't read it. Go do so.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

Abhay Khosla's Case Against Dan Didio.
Probably not news to most comics goons, but nice to see it all documented in one place like this.
Interesting article, though I kind of dislike the market share comparisons. It acts like Didio is responsible for the drops, but there are a lot of factors to consider. If DC and Image were the only two companies in the race that would be one thing, but Marvel is a huge competitor as well and you got plenty of other smaller publishers (Dark Horse, Oni Press, BOOM, etc.) And I would say DC's falls are far more correlated with Marvel's rise, as opposed to Image which takes a bit from both (since the company is basically comprised of creators who left the Big Two.)

That aside, the original article its a response to isn't really about the value of Didio's worth. It's more about how ready people are to jump down the throats of executives, even based on small unsubstantiated claims coming from the rumor mill (which, ironically, Bleeding Cool is a large part of.) That and how it feels like the Big Two are more about churning out big shock moments, constant relaunches for short term gains, than about making solid stories that will stand the test of time.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

So, if you're still trying to avoid spoilers until Wednesday, then don't read anything probably. Because DC revealed all the twists to USA Today so they're going to be even more widespread now.
I wonder if they just figured with the leaks that they may as well reveal it. Otherwise they're kind of ridiculous to just spill everything.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: And a preview of a Frank Cho WW variant.

Frank Cho is a really lovely person, but drat his art for being so good.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dexie posted:

Don't try Batman Beyond. Batman Beyond comics are almost always terrible.
Batman Beyond 2.0 was pretty great with the exception of that one arc with the Phantasm and awful flashbacks to BTAS era. Jurgens is directly taking a villain from it and putting it into his awful Beyond comic.

And if we're still talking about books we're gonna try, here is my short list.

-Wonder Woman
-Detective Comics
-Batgirl & The Birds of Prey
-The Flash
-Supergirl
-Superwoman
-Gotham Academy (when it returns in October anyway)

Tentative on Green Lanterns because Humphries is a mix bag of a writer, Blue Beetle to see if it can hold up to the original run in terms of tone, and Suicide Squad because I hope movie synergy doesn't make it turn into hot garbage like it has been for the past few years.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

No, double shipping is not just double the comics you like a month. If it were that I'd have no problem with it. What it does is burn writers and artists out and it will, not may, lead to missed deadlines and fill ins. That's a guarantee not a possibility.
I think writer burnout is more of a possibility here. The majority of the double shipping books are already assigned to have at least two artists working on them, so they trade off on duties every other issue. Wonder Woman I think has the best strategy in this and Rucka already put Black Magick on hiatus in order to make more time to write it bi-monthly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Travis343 posted:

Huntress is what she always was, which is Italian, I think she's just being drawn swarthier than she used to be.
Yeah, the end of Grayson outright has her planning to go back to basics. She's leaving Spyral and plans to go mob killing before Batgirl and Black Canary recruit her into BOP.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Pandora is honestly such a shame of a character. She had potential if they actually took the time to work on developing her, but she was a living macguffin that was quickly forgotten in the grand scheme of things. I highly doubt anyone will miss her and I'm pretty positive most forgot her existence until Rebirth brought it back for a hot second.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dunbar posted:

G. Willow Wilson posted on Twitter a while back that people need to move away from using single issue sales to judge the success of comic book because "some titles" can triple or quadruple their sales in digital and in trade. I think she'd be as well placed as anyone to know how much a digital-heavy book can sell on digital, so if even a couple books are selling that much digitally, it's a good thing.
If we want to move away from that line of thinking, then comixology needs to make their monthly sales numbers into public knowledge. I know they release the numbers to the companies, but all we can go is on the word of executives who may be conflating the truth in order to make themselves look better. People will take it more seriously if they can actually SEE how much a book is selling digitally ever month.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Heathen posted:

Do you also decide which TV shows to watch based on their ratings?
Not my point. I'm saying that if companies want to preach the success of digital sales on their books, then comixology should be willing to release those numbers and actually let people see the impact. Fact is the print market is very imbalanced right now, so actually seeing how healthy the digital market is would make people feel more assured that their favorite book won't get cancelled because it doesn't get heavy print orders. I'm not saying I disbelieve Marvel's claim that Ms Marvel sells a lot more digitally, but I can't see the harm in actually presenting the monthly numbers.

And while I don't decide TV shows I watch based on ratings, tv stations certainly decide which shows get cut based on those ratings. Comic publishers aren't any different.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
This looks really awesome for just inked pages so far. Definitely looking forward to picking it up.

Rhyno posted:

I'd like to see some figures backing up the "most successful time for DC." Because if memory serves in 1992-93 they had a few books hit the several MILLION sold mark.
Yeah but I don't know if we can really count the 90s too much when one considers that time period nearly eradicated comic publishing as a whole due to the speculator's market.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

redbackground posted:

Are there any lettered WW previews out there for either WW:Rebirth or WW:#1?
It's here now!

It looks like Rucka is running with the whole "changing histories" thing Rebirth #1 introduced.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've also heard good things about Constantine.
Constantine was one of my favorites of the DCYou books. Also enjoyed Midnighter, Omega Men and Prez a lot. Martain Manhunter was interesting, but felt a little confusing with its story. Dr. Fate had amazing art, but the writing in the flood plot was just so disjointed and the character constantly changed his mind about being Dr. Fate that I checked out.

Black Canary was good in its first arc and then it kind of collapsed onto itself after. The whole "Dinah touring with a band" just didn't have any good buildup, issue 7 and onward had a weird plot, and the supporting characters were pretty bland with the exception of the main antagonist. Annie Wu's art was the best part about it, but then she left interior duties so I dropped it after.

I think DCYou was good in concept, but bad in execution. I think them relaunching everything and starting fresh is a good tactic, as well as changing creative teams on books that have been loving dying for new blood (Wonder Woman and Flash especially needed better teams to handle them and they both look a lot more promising now.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

Alright, I'ma be the crazy person who says the Rucka WW Rebirth preview was just...passable. From what little we see so far it seems really prosey and tell-not-show-y and practically Johnsian.

The rest of it could be really incredible! But the preview pages aren't really meeting my (admittedly, unrealistically high) expectations.
Rucka has always been a kind of prose-y writer. This doesn't feel any different in writing tone from his other Wonder Woman stuff to me at first glance.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
In regards to Wonder Woman - as someone who loved the Azzarello run, my hope is Rucka won't completely disavow it. I think it makes sense to disavow certain elements and the one Rucka seems most focused on is Diana's origin. Particularly where the Amazons are involved, as we see the contrast between the more classic version and the newer one (which isn't really faulted on Azzarello, cause the Amazons have been treated horribly since around the time Amazons Attack happened.) In my opinion that was the worst change Azzarello instilled. I could swallow down Diana not being made from clay, but the Amazons going from peaceful to violent was really ugly.

And honestly, there isn't much story that can be told anymore with Azzarello's concepts. It was an incredibly satisfying epic, but it was severely mangled by the Finches. Hell if anything, we should be more angry at Finches for disgracing what Azzarello left.

Hippolyta dies because she melted in the rain. Donna Troy comes back as a murderous Amazon who slaughters an entire camp of men. The Amazons are pretty much even worse than Azzarello ever wrote them as being. Hera turns evil again because she just wants to and Zola loses Zeke because he decides to turn into Zeus to save Wonder Woman's life. Oh and the last panels are Diana languishing how Zeke was the closest thing she will ever have to a son, because she can't have children of her own, which is the most loving cliched thing I have read in a loving comic about Wonder Woman.

So yeah, after all that poo poo that happened? I'm fine with Rucka wanting to scrap the poo poo Finches did and let the Azzarello stuff be its own thing. This idea that it's invalid because Greg Rucka says so is kind of silly. All 35 issues of the comic is still there if you want to read it and Azzarello never intended it to be more than a standalone epic. It is what it is.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

This is all silly talk anyway because the true Wonder Woman is actually Legend of Wonder Woman and you all just don't know it yet.
I would say LoWW's writer should do the mainline book, but then she wouldn't get even half as much creative freedom to tell her Golden Age inspired vision.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly Jason Todd has only ever been good in his original comeback story (which got an even better movie adaptation) and in the prequel The Lost Days. Jason was the only thing Judd Winick ever did right, and the character got progressively worse after he was taken out of Winick's hands.

I happen to like the character and the concepts surrounding him, but it's a drat shame that no writer ever seems to write him in a way that feels satisfying compared to his revival story. The closest it got was that very short sequence Genevieve Valentine did for B&R Eternal with him and Tim together at a bar.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm really excited for the crossover if only because Rossmo is fantastic at creepy monster designs and Orlando is a solid writer. And with the bi-weekly schedule, it won't last very long.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

JoshTheStampede posted:

I know Prez is on hiatus, but are the six issues that exist a full arc or should I wait for it to be done/back before reading it?
It's definitely a full arc. DC's trades are designed so that arcs should be on average only six issues long. How much that will change for the bi-monthly books is to be seen. I hope it comes back soon, because wow will it have a plethora of new material.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

I bailed on Doctor Fate after the first six issues - is it worth following up on the later issues? Are things allowed to happen, on the page and without jerking the narrative away?
I know Kent Nelson shows up, but that's about all there is to say about it. It seems like the character is going to be forgotten all together if Kent is showing up in Blue Beetle. Shame, but Levitz kind of screwed up per usual.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Well yeah, why anyone would yearn for the horseshit she was shoveling would baffle me but before the first issue dropped her fanbase was doing the butthurt mambo.
I don't recall it being that big of an uproar. Gail left because she was having issues with the way editorial was pushing her to go darker. Ironically not long after she left we got Mark Doyle, who is basically considered the best editor at DC current.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Batgirl of Burnside, I think, will be more remembered for Babs Tarr and Batgirl's new costume than anything that happened in the actual story. Which is fine by me when the actual story is pretty awful. People say Gail Simone went too dark with her run, but I think Stewart and Fletcher went in the opposite extreme. There's nothing wrong with making a lighter toned book, but Barbara never felt like Barbara. It was basically taking Bryan Q Miller's Stephanie Brown run and remaking it for Barbara, but the writers clearly didn't give a crap about anything that happened to Barbara before their run because they deemed it problematic.

Now let me say this about The Killing Joke: what happened to Barbara was awful. There's really no good excuse for it. She was used to give Batman and Gordon a heap of manpain, while having no real agency in the story. And she would have been completely abandoned as a character in the comics for a long period of time, if it wasn't for Ostrander creating the concept of her becoming an information broker as Oracle. And what happened to her paved the way for characters like Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown to emerge and be so well loved as they are.

This run actively tried to erase what happened in The Killing Joke to her in their last issues, by implying they were all fake implanted memories. What that means for the story isn't so relevant, as much as what it means from a historical perspective. It reminds me of the very uncomfortable trends going on to erase or just not discuss history that's considered problematic. What happened to Barbara in The Killing Joke was real. It's there, and it's always going to be there so long as the story continues to be told (and considering it's one of DC's highest selling Batman stories period, it won't go away any time soon.)

I know a lot of people don't like what happened to Barbara. I certainly don't. But to try to retcon that history, or pretend it didn't happen, feels inherently wrong to me. It also invalidates her history as Oracle, one she had for over 20 years of comics, as well as the legacy of Batgirl. DC has made many mistakes with Barbara going into New 52. Erasing Oracle, while keeping Killing Joke, was probably one of the worse ones. It looks like they now want to fix that, if the Birds of Prey Rebirth stuff is any indication of changing attitudes. But I can't help but feel like the Burnside writers really tried HARD to pander with trying to retcon what happened to her.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Personally the story that introduced me into looking at Superman comics more was "Superman: Secret Identity." Really fantastic story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Gaz-L posted:

Argh, so she WAS Oracle now? I get that Rebirth is specially to allow poo poo like this, but good lord, make up your minds, people!
I'm pretty sure this is them making up their minds for good. I think DC HEAVILY regrets erasing "Oracle" from Barbara Gordon but they never had a good opportunity to undo that. This is a good compromise - Barbara was Oracle alongside Dinah's Black Canary for a couple years and then returned to Batgirl with help from experimental surgery.