Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked Superman #1 well enough. I didn't know anything about Superman having a kid, let alone one that's old enough to walk and talk and all that. I'm really curious to see how this new Superman fits in, hopefully they make it feel really different. Bats and WW just show up and they're like "Well....you're Superman now."

I hope Not Robin gets to do some cool stuff. Doing Batman's math homework was not that. The good death stuff is all TDKR, right? Enough of that. As if Batman is gonna die in #1. Just skip to the drat "What if Superman came to Gotham and stuck around" and run with that.

Titans Rebirth was skippable. It just covered Wally being back. Who is Lillith? I've never heard of her before. I know she wasn't on the original Teen Titans. Who's her mentor, Spectre? That doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I spend 3 seconds on Wikipedia and the caveman's name is Gnarkk. No wonder they scrapped everyone for Cyborg and the other lads from the cartoon. Beast Boy is way better than both Hawk and Dove.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TwoPair posted:

But how will we get the Greatest Green Lantern Ever, Hal Jordan, back on the team?

Speaking of, as someone who refuses to read Green Lantern, where is John? Are him, Guy, Hal, and Kyle doing space things while the newbies join the League? Why would the Justice League ever need two Green Lanterns?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Toxx is absolutely spot on about Aquaman. As soon as writers stop apologizing for him, he will be a fine character. Perhaps never the best, but serviceable. The worst thing I see in superhero media is when a work feels like it needs to apologize for something. I don't like the "What did you want, yellow spandex?" quip. I don't like the way they write Aquaman. I don't like "It means hope". Just be a comic book. This guy is king of the entire ocean, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, and he can ride sharks. Run with that WITHOUT "I don't talk to fish" and how everyone in-universe thinks he's lame. That's absurd.

Dexie posted:

If he beat up gimmicky evil robots and stole their powers for his own use, I would be much more interested in Cyborg.

Also give him the robot dog while we're at it.

I would read the poo poo out of Cyborg as Mega Man.

WickedHate posted:

Why would you only want one guy on the team with the most powerful and versatile set of abilities on the planet? At this rate the Earth GLs could start their own League and put every other super hero out of business.

I was just thinking from a narrative standpoint. Having two guys with the same powers on the same team is normally not good for one of the two. Kinda like how Martian Manhunter has a hard time existing on teams with Superman. Thanks for the rundown, DT. I am left with more questions though. What universe are they trapped in? How will they be affected by Rebirth if they're not even around?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So he loves Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, and Cyborg...

That's just sad.

It's not just sad, it's annoying. Hal is a lame GL, Barry is prolly the worst Flash, and Cyborg is prolly the worst Titan.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Madkal posted:

Simone was canned once, mentioned it on Twitter and people complained. DC retracted and let her stay on. Then later on the new Batgirl costume was announced with new creative team. People were so in love with it that they forgot about Simone.
As for Fialkov, that sucked because I remember going to a con where he was pumped about writing Green Lantern Corps and then nadda.
Also feel free to check out clusterfuck that was Nu-52 Static and Voodoo for a good laugh at DC loving up.

Whatever happened to Static Shock? I loved that cartoon as a kid. Can he be a Teen Titan or something?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Reading the brief blurb on the Wikipedia page makes it sound like his book was a shitshow. Cancelled after 8 issues? Did it really sell that poorly?

One of his villains is named Rubberband Man. How can you not want to publish Static comics?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

redbackground posted:

Whatever this amounts to, it's still has to be better than Barbara/Tim in the Arkham games.

I actually haven't see any of it!, I just know it was a thing at one time.

That was so weird and out of nowhere. I definitely played the hell out of Knight, but reflection on it makes me wonder if I did that out of some kind of obligation after all the cash spent. It made some really confusing decisions. Granted, I'm also salty about noticing Widow wearing an arrow necklace during Cap 2 only for Avengers 2 to be like HERE'S VELMA WITH 3 KIDS!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

I believe Dick is back in Gotham in the new Nightwing series.

That's in a couple of weeks, right? I'm excited to start buying my favorite dude again.

Nobody is bringing it up, but I thought the first part of New52 Nightwing was a good read. Once he leaves Bludhaven, I wasn't so into it. Battle for the Cowl is not all that good, but Dick's monologue at the end is one of my favorites.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow, that Super-Man preview....huh. It didn't read like Spider-Man, I don't see that comparison outside of a hypen. It read the worst Damian Wayne writing. I don't even have a good way to describe it. It's just "Look at this rear end in a top hat. He's Superman! In CHINA! Isn't that wacky?" No, no it's not wacky. It's annoying.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Between rear end and Batgirl of Burnside, I think you have a problem with sifting through hyperbole, Toxx. Which is fair, this happens to basically everyone. A story with as much acclaim as rear end isn't going to live up to anyone's standard if all they know of it is lots of people think it's one of the best Superman comics ever. I still maintain that it is. I'd probably argue it's his best if I read more Superman and felt comfortable making that argument. I'm gonna say something I may have to apologize for, but I don't mind the marginalization of Lois in the story. Just like I don't mind any other superheroes showing up or very many iconic Superman villains or anyone else. It's about Superman. And not in a "He's the main character, dumbass" way. I mean it's about who he is and what he means. To us, not to the characters in the comic. I dunno, I'd call it the definitive take on modern Superman.

I'll give you the Bizarro stuff.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is Jason really still a rogue Robin at this point? He's got Batman's symbol on his chest, he makes it to all the family functions, and Bruce has only ever given him a finger wagging over the past few years. He's no more a rogue Robin than Nightwing at this point.

I like having Bizarro around, but I don't know what his purpose is from a narrative point. Like, I get that it's cool to see heroes fight their literal reverse. That's why nearly everyone has one. I just don't know what you do with him after that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Superdad is great. I can't quite nail exactly why, but I love it. Maybe it's just really nice seeing Clark have a family. Hell, seeing anyone in the DC Universe have a legit family. I am all the way in on Superman. Batman I thought was good. I think it's weird to take issue with Batman doing his vanishing move. Literally right before that we saw him explaining that they have super vision. In my mind, a Batman that is aware of a super power is already on his way to circumventing it. He said he'd been watching Gotham and Gotham Girl (still dumb names) for a while. Everyone's got a weakness and DC has done nothing but go nuts with BATMAN WILL FIND THAT WEAKNESS for decades now. Maybe it was just because I read the thread before the comic, but I got to a conclusion immediately. Batman's vanishing act is one of his things. It'd be pretty poo poo if he did it and Gotham was all "I see you." Lark still has no purpose and a stupid name, so....glad he's around, I guess.

Superdad though. So great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The shirts look fine and expecting the major plot point of Rebirth to not appear in any of the major books or in the marketing is stupid. That's like buying Superman #2 this week and then giving out as soon as you see that Lois is in it. You knew what you signed up for.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I refuse to read "What if Superman was a oval office" on GP.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So how exactly are you meant to depict China without being offensive?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The S stands for Stereotype.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

My girlfriend is also Canadian, and this is how I feel about her never being able to eat from Sonic.

I'll feed her if you want, but I'm not a very good cook.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll wait a little while and see what other people have to say about New Super-Man before I buy his comic. I understand that a preview isn't indicative of the entire comic let alone the run, but man.....I do not wanna read cape stories about unlikable bullies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

It's not going to be about an unlikable hero. It's going to be about an unlikable person becoming a likable hero.

Why is your assumption of his character arc any better than Toxx's?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is it normal for there to be such a large gap in sales between the #1 and #2 spot or can that be attributed to Marvel's being a cross over event book?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Super glad to have Nightwing back. I kept expecting Bruce to be a dick at some point, but he never did and that's great. I love Bat Dad way more than "Hey, you've got something on your tooth" *backhands across the room*

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Darth Nat posted:

Isn't Waid the same person that spends a quarter of his time arguing about how terrible DC and its management are? And then he's surprised when they, gasp, don't like him much?

That doesn't stop them from churning out Watchmen stuff ad nauseum in spite of Moore.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That Batman Beyond design is really ugly. I feel like it runs counter-current to the entire point of the suit. It's not sleek. The bright red won't be blending into much. And the cowl makes him look like an old man.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After all these years of seeing those pages posted, it's only now that I understand the way Blue Beetle is drawn in the second page. It's as if his head is leaned all the way back and we're looking at his chin.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That Eradicator swerve worked well for me. Like as soon as it started I was like "Wow Clark, you're being an rear end in a top hat. Maybe he's no-" and then he was cool. Then he was decidedly not cool and I hope Kid Gohan fucks him up.

Batman was also pretty great. I always love to see Matches Malone. I also immediately mark out any time the idea of legacy turns up in modern DC since they go back and forth on whether or not they care to keep it up these days. I've decided I like Gotham and Gotham Girl. Especially now that they have been around long enough to establish good character. WAY more than I can say for Lark. I also like seeing Batman not act like an unrelenting dick to anything that breathes around him. It makes it fun for me to read. Both Batman and Superman get a thumbs up from me, they're the two books I've decided to follow through Rebirth. Nightwing too of course.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
In my mind Batman is like 10-15 years older than Batgirl. Is this something I just made up? Like how the gently caress do the ages work that Babs is in the appropriate age group to sleep with both Dick and his figurative father without everyone throwing up?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm giving Nightwing another thumbs up. It gives me the same warm feeling that Superman does, honestly. Between this and Batman it's just so refreshing to have a Batman I might actively root for instead of an unrelenting dick. It was also nice to see Barbara being a superhero. And not trying to gently caress Nightwing on the bridge. This Raptor character though...eh. We'll see. He looks so lame.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I am very conflicted.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Teenage Fansub posted:

The poor decision was Greg Pak simultaneously making the All-Star jumping girl an in-universe character and bumping her off to make Superman feel bad.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/19/greg-pak-just-killed-off-regan-star-superman/

e: and that storyline being called Superman's Joker. I just remembered that one.

ee: I think giving a gallows tribute to your sacred cow moments after ten years is a healthy thing. The moment linked here is far more crass to me.

Yeah, you see this here? This never happened. Anyone who reminds me of this in the future will be ravaged. And not sexily.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roth posted:

Oh lord these comments

I love the idea that reading the comic would somehow alter the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr Hootington posted:

scroll down on those comments.

One of them says Manhattan erased over a century of history in DC Comics. What.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I always get wide-eyed and start breathing fast, but I have to remember that this is best dude as Robin. Not best dude to ever BE Robin.Yeah, that's Tim Drake.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That page is nearly incomprehensible to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr Hootington posted:

Do we need to translate it into upvotes, retweets, or anime gifs?

Anything that isn't terrible would be fine.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FilthyImp posted:

Reminder that it was around that time that superstar OC THE FACE also asked Miss Martian if she could turn into a giant cooze and eat her out.

Teen Titans Go!

Who wrote that? I'd like a name to go with the sorrow.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah that layout is really bad. The top of the page draws the eye across to the right side but you're actually supposed to go back to the left page and read panels simultaneously I guess? Then it does a weird L thing to draw your eye up then back down. At best it's unclear and I've seen similar things done way better.

Thank you, I thought I was crazy. Or a dweeb I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

Anyone pick up the new Batman Telltale game, incidentally? It's an interesting melange of the various different versions, with some Gotham, some Nolan, some Arkham and even a bit of Brubaker and Snyder.

I couldn't find it anywhere on the PSN. Which is a shame because I'd like to give it a shot. I've never played a Telltale.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jordan7hm posted:

Of the new runs, which are the highlights?

So far I'm reading Batman; it's ok, and I'm willing to keep on it because King. I'm thinking of grabbing Flash because of Williamson.

Superman. Seriously, pick up Superman. I also like Nightwing and I've heard great things about Detective.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finally had the time to buy some comics. Batman was a good read, but it didn't blow me away or anything. #5 was a really odd issue to me. It felt like I didn't have the whole story even though I'm pretty sure I do. I still don't like the purple in Batman's cape. Nor do I like the entire Justice League showing up to get embarrassingly jobbed out by a pseudo Superboy Prime.

Superman continues to be fantastic. I really can't imagine not liking it unless you don't like Superman.

I like Nightwing as well. Got a good kick out of Bat-Shark Attractant. I would like to request about 100 years before the next story where Batgirl and Nightwing fight.

The level of smug on Jon's face is amazing. Superman and Batman look like they're about to kiss, which honestly would be a really interesting contrast between the adults and the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jack of Hearts posted:

I can't wait for CoIE III & Knuckles Turbo: Revenge of the Meta-Knight in 2019.