Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Just saw Batman v Superman, got some beer and a frozen pizza and I'm ready for disappointment. I think I'm doing this right!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Pierson posted:

I've fallen behind on my comics news. So is this just a re-shuffling of creative teams into a new way, the start of a new lead-up to a big event, or are they actually no-poo poo rebooting the DCU again?
There's no reason to think it will be a true reboot in any sense. Best guess based on what has come out so far is a reshuffling of current creative talent to new books, bringing back some fan favorite characters/teams/costumes, and hopefully one or two high profile signings for new creative (Greg Rucka and Jonathan Hickman have been loosely rumored).

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Scott Snyder with John Romita Jr. is some pro-tier trolling, DC :golfclap:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Steve Orlando on Supergirl!!

And.... Liam Sharp on Wonder Woman :confused:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

RUCKA

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It looks like on a bunch of the double shipping issues they just hired two artists rather than worry about the art sucking. At least they're spending some money.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Woof, didn't expect Bryan Hitch/Tony Daniel on Justice League.

Josh Williamson on Flash, which for those of you who don't read his Image comic, Birthright, it's pretty good. Unfortunately his Illuminati book isn't so good.

And Vendetti on Green Lantern... :smith:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I think that was just the Rebirth #1 unless I misheard.

And wasn't the rumor Johns himself was writing JLA?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Red Hood & Arsenal!! Lobdell!!

And wow, Christopher Priest on Deathstroke

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I sort of assumed Gail Simone would be writing either the Batgirl or Birds of Prey book. Odd person to let slip away considering she's currently working with Vertigo. And I wonder what that Hickman tease was about? Either he's writing JLA or Johns is, I guess.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Did I miss something or did they not announce anything for Genevieve Valentine?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Anyone else get the Ostrander Suicide Squad Vol 3 today and think they changed the paper type/quality pretty severely from Vols 1 and 2?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It doesn't really feel like either Vol 1 or 2 to me. It's a lot thicker and rougher, almost like newsprint. If you have any of the New Teen Titans volumes, it sort of feels like that.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Selling the complete Omega Men in a $25 trade is really cool. Hope people check it out.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I don't have a problem with double shipping because the books are either good and worth the money or bad and you drop them. I do have sympathy with comic shops that have a harder time adjusting their orders with books coming out twice as often.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Wonder if it ties into the Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy book. Or maybe into one of the August Rebirth titles (Batgirl?).

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

News has broke that Darwyn Cooke is dying from cancer http://darwyncooke.blogspot.ca/2016/05/gently caress-cancer.html?m=1

Let's do a lil appreciating.

His Comixology sale is still going.
https://www.comixology.com/Darwyn-Cooke-Sale/page/10679?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9tb2JpbGUvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA
His issue of Solo is something to pick up.
He passed away this morning. So sad. I've just been making my way through the Brubaker Catwoman run that starts with the graphic novel and first few issues drawn by Cooke. He was one of the great ones.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Madkal posted:

Going to post the DC solicits for August.

This one caught my eye the most
This is the one that Snyder said was going to be his Long Halloween? I wonder if he meant that facetiously.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Titans Hunt is also a lead-in to Rebirth. I think the only 3 things that are officially deemed as leading in to Rebirth are Lois & Clark, Titans Hunt, and the Final Days of Superman crossover that is currently running across all 4 Superman titles.

Really, if I were you, I'd just pick up the Rebirth #1 next week and a few of the Rebirth issues of whatever characters interest you. If those catch you enough that you want to keep going, you can always double back and read this other stuff. I'm sure they're doing everything possible to make sure that Rebirth #1 has everything you'd need as a new reader since it's meant to be the biggest jumping-on point in years.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Man, that sucks. I'm going to try so hard to avoid anything from Rebirth, SM #52 or JL #50. My LCS isn't doing a midnight opening or anything but they're letting all the regulars read our books as soon as the shipment comes in on Tuesday.

4 more days :ohdear:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I successfully managed to avoid spoilers for the past few days and I'm really glad I did. My comic shop isn't doing a midnight opening so they had a little side room set up today where the regular pull customers could come in and read whatever stuff they wanted, but leave the books there and then come back and actually buy them tomorrow. I went in on my lunch break and I was able to read all of the DC stuff and Rebirth #1, and I thought they were great. I'm so excited for Rebirth now. I hope everyone else who tried to avoid spoilers has as positive an experience as I did.

For people worried about reading order, I'd say read everything DC first and then Rebirth #1. The Rebirth issue specifically tells you to read Superman #52 and Justice League #50 first, but even in stuff like Grayson there are fun little references you'd want to see before reading Rebirth.

Now I get to go back to work and spend all afternoon reading the acres of spoiler coverage to try and pick up on stuff I missed from Rebirth.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm going to grab every Rebirth #1 plus Action/Detective and probably the first issues of most other stuff that isn't getting a Rebirth issue. You never know what'll hit with you. As to the double shipping stuff, if I like it, it's twice the good comics per month, and if I don't, I'll drop it like anything else I don't like. :shrug:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

G. Willow Wilson posted on Twitter a while back that people need to move away from using single issue sales to judge the success of comic book because "some titles" can triple or quadruple their sales in digital and in trade. I think she'd be as well placed as anyone to know how much a digital-heavy book can sell on digital, so if even a couple books are selling that much digitally, it's a good thing.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Apparently Adventures of Supergirl #1 and #2 are out in print?? I never saw them in solicits or Previews or anything, and I couldn't pull them on Comixology, but there they were on the shelf today. I guess #3 is out next week too.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

As I recall, when it was announced, DiDio was going around saying "Oh, Hitch has been working on it for two years already, it'll come out monthly, no problem." I don't think it even made it out monthly for five months before there was a fill in. It'll probably be a decent 12 issue TPB whenever it's finally finished.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm sure this is totally unfeasibly financially, but I wish publishers would commit to getting at least two arcs of a book out and collected in trade before they decided to cancel it. I have to imagine some of the smaller titles could be nursed along if they were given time to build word of mouth through the people who only buy stuff in trade or go back and buy back issues digitally if something starts to build an audience. It'll probably be easier to give those smaller/niche titles more time to grow once they're a smaller percentage of the overall line instead of having an entire line refresh based around them.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I had that same thing happen with Long Halloween. For some reason finding out that was released singly and not as a complete graphic novel really surprised me.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm a week late on this but I just got caught up reading all my comics from last week and that was one of the best weeks I've had reading DC in a long time. Green Lanterns (which I guess most people don't like, but I like a lot), Batgirl and Birds of Prey, Green Arrow (for my money, one of the best single issues since Rebirth started), Batman (can't wait to see where this goes next) and Superman. Thought they were all terrific. Superman has been stellar throughout but I give it bonus points this week for having someone ask "Why don't you just call the Justice League to deal with this?" and get an answer that actually made sense. A nice echo of Batman, where, you know, they actually had to call the JL because they were in over their heads.

Hooray Rebirth!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If they're smaller events like Monster Men or even Robin War, I won't mind. It's fairly easy to pick up a few issues you wouldn't otherwise get if you want the full thing, or else drop a few you'd normally buy because you don't want to read it. But if they start doing any significant number of tie-ins, it's going to get irritating very fast.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Agreed with Batman and Superman being great. Still early days but Supergirl is looking like exactly what I hoped it might be. I'm still loving Green Arrow too. Remains one of my favorite Rebirth books.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I keep waiting to get tired of some of the Rebirth titles, but so far, it isn't happening. I bought a dozen DC comics this week and I was thinking to myself, eventually some of these are going to wear thin and you'll have to start dropping them. I'm having some trouble understanding what's going on in Deathstroke so I might drop it down to trade-only, but otherwise, everything I'm buying is at least as good as it was when it started, and with some stuff like Green Lanterns and New Superman, it's only gotten better. Superwoman seems like it's going to be really good too.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm all in on Monster Men after 2 issues, but I'll admit I'm a sucker for any monster-themed story timed around October/Halloween/horror movie month. And I was already buying all the titles anyway so I don't have to go out of my way.

And Superman and Trinity were just :allears: I didn't have a great idea of what Trinity was supposed to be about, so I thought maybe it would be a title where Rebirth starts to slip a little bit, but nope, it just keeps on trucking.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Best in show: Detective Comics
Top tier: Superman, Flash, Green Lanterns, New Super Man, Trinity, Green Arrow, Batman
Second tier: Wonder Woman, Superwoman, All-Star Batman, Titans, Supergirl, Batgirl, Batgirl BOP, Gotham Academy
Third tier: Nightwing, Deathstroke, Hellblazer, Blue Beetle, Action Comics, Hal Jordan GLC, Suicide Squad

Tried and dropped: Justice League, Red Hood, Aquaman, Cyborg
Not tried: Whatever is left

I want to trim my pull list purely for time reasons so some of the third tier are probably going to be getting dropped soon, but really I'm enjoying everything I still subscribe to. The overall quality of the line is remarkably high right now.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That's so cool. A couple of us were just standing around the comic shop yesterday hoping we'd get a Batwoman ongoing because she's been so good in Detective. And they got a great writer/artist combo, too.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Greg Rucka seemed to suggest on Twitter that Wonder Woman would be double-shipping through issue 24, so roughly one year from the debut. I won't be surprised if once some of the Wave 2 titles start shipping, they announce the tapering off of the double shipping and some more new titles that would make up a Wave 3 to fill the spots left open.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've really come to like the double shipping because it helps me keep up on the story. I read a fair number of books and with monthly books it can sometimes be hard to remember what is happening issue-to-issue, especially when you have books that keep their monthly shipping schedule but end up with a 6-7 week break in between issues based on scheduling quirks, or even more when they miss a month or two in between issues. I've basically given up reading most indy books in single issues because when it takes 10 months to get out a 5-6 issue arc, I just end up having to re-read the whole thing once it's finished anyway or I'll have forgotten everything that happened in the first few issues.

Also, I don't think double vs single shipping would have any affect on my desire to keep reading a book. If I like a book enough to keep it on my pull list, I'm happy to have it twice a month, and if I don't like a book enough to pull it while it's double shipping, dropping it down to single shipping wouldn't make me any more likely to keep it on my pull list. Hell, if anything, I wish they'd move Trinity and Supergirl up to double shipping.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

If you haven't been reading Green Arrow you've been making a big mistake. I think it's been consistently the best Rebirth book behind Superman. And it has the best rotating art team of any book right now.
Co-sign. It started out great and has only gotten better. Percy has written some of the best action set pieces I've read in a long time, and Stephen Byrne in particular is killing it on the art.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

For whatever it's worth, I was super excited to read the Johns Flash run when the final TPB was released a month or two ago, so I bought all 3 of them and barely finished the first one before I decided I didn't like it and quit. Wasn't my thing at all. I have the first volume of the Waid run coming this week so I'm hoping that is better.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That's one of the things they were supposed to be spending all the Rebirth money on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I buy about 10 DC books a week, so the $1 increase would cost me ~$40/month on average, assuming they don't drop some of the double-shipping books down to monthlies once they go to $3.99. It's not nothing. If they stayed double-shipping and went to $3.99, I'd probably have to look at dropping 3-4 titles.