Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Kinda lovely that they apparently screwed over Marguerite Bennett at the last minute in favor of Rucka, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

At the end of Convergence, Clark flew into the original Crisis to allow his world and every other continuity to live on in an infinite multiverse. What that even really means is unclear cause Convergence was a pile of nonsense, but that's the implication.

The actual pages in that issue very clearly showed the Convergence worlds fading away to be replaced by their Multiversity counterparts.

DC editorial being what it is, the current state of things is much less clear.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Also: buried at the end of an article largely about his new films role, but it sounds like Johns may not be writing any of the ongoing Rebirth books. At least, not anymore.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html

quote:

That said, he’s currently taking a break from writing comics for a while. He penned a status-quo-altering one-shot issue called DC Universe: Rebirth, which comes out in a week and was the topic of conversation at today’s journalist gathering — but after that his hands will be too full. Whatever he does next, it’ll be rooted in a belief that DC needs to understand the deep-seated warmth and love that people feel toward its pantheon. “There’s a lot of emotional underpinning of the characters and the stories," he said. "It's not that people take it for granted. They’re just not as aware of it. But when it’s not there, you really feel that emptiness.”

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it's still implied that there's space in the infinite multiverse for a pre-Flashpoint world to exist that it's Metropolis can return to and divert from it's crisis. I mean, if preventing COIE and morphing to modern day is the only thing, then that wouldn't be possible and would go against the point of the whole "We can now use everything from anywhere" messaging.
Again, vague nonsense. It probably would've served them better to make it even more vague and simplified like the end of Secret Wars where the Richards family is just dreaming universes back.

There wasn't "we can use anywhere from everything" messaging in the issue itself, IIRC; that was DC editorial subsequently muddying the waters in interviews. The actual spread shows the Multiversity worlds in full color, with characters from the most analogous Convergence worlds hovering above them like ghosts. "Each world has evolved, but they all still exist."

Of course, this is all pointless, but still.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 19, 2016

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

So it's not a reboot...but it's a reboot.

Nah, it's fairly clear from the solicitations that it's mostly a continuation of New 52 continuity, not a re-reboot or unreboot. It's much less clear how many caveats are contained in that "mostly," but we'll find out next week, I guess.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Something that was heavily hyped by the publisher and then then didn't follow through at all. They even sent out emails to retailers promising this revelation would be enormous and urged us to triple our orders.

gently caress DC.

Weird, since it's fairly clear that that reveal was intended just for Justice League #50.

Actually, it's more than a bit odd that Rebirth just recapped the Joker and Wonder Woman reveals without advancing them at all.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The hype and urge to increase orders was all centered on JL #50, sorry if I was not clear.

Ah, okay.

Anyway, is it just me, or did this seem much less focused on promoting specific books than other, vaguely similar promotional one-shots that Marvel and DC have published in the past? Even besides the (ugh) Watchmen reveal, Atom, Legion, and JSA don't have their own books announced, and even seemingly obvious things like the Joker/Jason reveals aren't explicitly tied to the Batman and WW books, respectively.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The hype and urge to increase orders was all centered on JL #50, sorry if I was not clear.

Ah, okay.

Anyway, is it just me, or did this seem much less focused on promoting specific books than other, vaguely similar promotional one-shots that Marvel and DC have published in the past? Even besides the (ugh) Watchmen reveal, Atom, Legion, and JSA don't have their own books announced, and even seemingly obvious things like the Joker/Jason reveals aren't explicitly tied to the Batman and WW books, respectively.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

the joker reveal is tied to batman super hard, and they have the new heroes or whatever in there too who also show up in the one page ad for batman at the back

No, it's not. I mean, it very well might be addressed right off the bat (heh) in Batman Rebirth #1, but no one involved with King's book (or the other two) has confirmed that yet.

I didn't count the one panel with Gotham and Gotham Girl, for the obvious reason that they're on the cover for Batman #1. I also suspect that they're more King's own story, whereas Jason and the three Jokers are more things Johns himself seeded for future writers, but who knows.

I dunno, maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but I'm surprised DC isn't pushing the standard "follow X character/storyline into Book Y" angle harder.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

you're right, the joker thing could totally be addressed in Hawk And Dove: Rebirth

There are three in-continuity Batman books, you know.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

Even disregarding metanarrative, surely one has to roll one's eyes at "There's going to be a war between hope and despair. Between love and apathy. Faith and disbelief."

Taking the metanarrative into account, no matter how much I love Wally and Linda, I want the writers and editors to copulate with their respective mothers (or fathers, I'm not prejudiced).

I simply do not understand how anyone can come away from Watchmen thinking that it, or specifically the character of Dr. Manhattan, can be fairly described as the embodiment of "despair," "apathy," and "disbelief."

It's sure as gently caress a good deal more hopeful than Darkseid War, or Blackest Night, or Flashpoint, or a number of other Johns stories I could name.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yeah, 50K hasn't been anywhere near the cancellation threshold since I started paying attention to these things a decade or so ago.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

The art in the DCYou series is worth trying it, at least. There should still be the free eight page sampler story floating around somewhere.

Solicits are coming out and Superman is going all Multiversity :swoon:

It's even got the art team from the wrapper issues of Multiversity.

This sounds great, but then I realize that it's probably setting up the Watchmen vs. DCU event.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, people are speculating that none other than Rorschach had a brief cameo in RHATO

I think Question is more likely but anything can be with DC these days.

"I love it" would be such a grossly out-of-character thing for Rorschach to say that it's probably him. Wouldn't be any more off than the implied characterization of Manhattan in Rebirth.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

At least they're doing us the courtesy of warning us that this is a Watchmen-related story, which is more than can be said for Orlando's JLA and other books that are highly likely to tie in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

KaosMachina posted:

It's gonna turn out to be Ozymandias, who actually replicated the Dr. Manhattan experiment successfully.
Dr. Oz is going to turn out to actually be a depowered Manhattan who is secretly building up a group to take down Ozymandias.

...oh my god, this actually seems plausible

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

Yeah she nailed the guy to the the door with a pipe through the neck. Pretty great huh? That Wonder Woman pilot is one of my favorite things ever. Never have you seen such a series of not just bad decisions, but the worst possible decisions, made in one 42 minute span. From pipes through the neck to triple identities to chilling at home with her cat and creating a Facebook account while eating ice cream and watching The Notebook, it's a complete misfire on a level rarely seen.

I haven't watched it yet, but my understanding is that it was basically a mash-up of Batman, the Lynda Carter WW, and Ally McBeal that took next to nothing from any actual comic featuring the character.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Well, at least it sounds like this Watchmen crossover poo poo will be safely contained to one book. For now, anyway.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FoneBone posted:

Am I missing something, or is Johns outright admitting that he wrote Rebirth without an actual plan for the Watchmen storyline?

hmm

Vulture posted:

The overarching plot about the rejiggering of the universe has played a shockingly small role, meaning you can read any one series without having to pick up any others for context. That said, DC Universe Rebirth did drop one bombshell tease: Dr. Manhattan, a lead from the epochal 1980s graphic novel Watchmen, may or may not be responsible for the ways the world went wrong during the New 52. But subsequently, the powers that be haven’t placed much emphasis on that development. Indeed, DiDio more or less admits the move emerged largely from a desire to get headlines: “In today’s world, with so much media, so much property, so much out there, you’ve got to do things that capture people’s attention,” he said.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

The end of Flash #22's leakin'. Be careful out there.

Careful of what, exactly? There's nothing to spoil, really.

Anyway, has anything been done with the three Jokers or with Wonder Woman's twin brother yet? I feel like those were also reveals done more to get attention for Rebirth and Justice League #50 than because there was an actual story idea behind them that the Batman or WW writers wanted to tackle.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

So... it seems that very little actually happened in The Button. Judging from the alterations in the Detective Comics issue last week, I strongly suspect that this storyline was subjected to a lot of last-minute rewriting.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now that I think about it, Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #106 is maybe most crucial thing to read. This run is basically one big throwback to that issue.

I get that this is a (in?)famous issue, but how is the entire current Tomasi run a throwback to that?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

There was one thing worse than that.

The large number of fans defending him because he was "a good artist and should be given a second chance."

I guess I was following the wrong (right?) forums/Twitter accounts at the time, because I thankfully don't remember that part.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

lol, Doomsday Clock won't end until over two and a half years after Rebirth #1

at least there supposedly won't be any tie-ins

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

If it's really a graphic novel follow-up to the Batman 666 storyline, IN!

e:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244055788&postcount=3952

I feel like the world's greatest detective.

I plead guilty, I just want the Watchmen crap to be over and done with as soon as possible so I can go back to pretending it never happened

anyways, Arkham Asylum 2 is cool and all but I don't really understand why it's called that - Damian as protagonist and CB on art means it'll have a drastically different feel from the original.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

They just announced The Terrifics, a new Dark Matter team book by Lemire with Mr. Terrific, Plastic Man, Metamorpho, and Phantom Girl. Basically the Fantastic Four, but with Reed Richards' powers and intellect split into two characters and no real Human Torch analogue.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Imagine that a writer best known for superhero event comics attempted to write Watchmen 2, in his best attempt at an Alan Moore pastiche. Imagine that he apparently thought Rorschach was a sympathetic character. Imagine that he crammed in hamfisted parallels to current real-world events. Imagine that whole thing crossed over with the DC Universe for added controversy and sales.

Good news, everyone! You don't have to imagine anymore!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm just fascinated that this takes place explicitly in 1992 but the story involves a militarily belligerent Russia interfering in American politics and also (successfully) disrupting the European Union which didn't even form until 1993 in the real world, meanwhile there are "Undeplorables" and a border wall and President Trump but also William F. Buckley and uh maybe antifa fighting the alt-right both of which are equally bad and uh

of all the Watchmen characters to deliver a horseshoe theory hot take

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://www.newsarama.com/36784-nycc-17-geoff-johns-doomsday-clock-panel.html

quote:

Johns says that the story definitely has political overtones because he doesn't think anyone can write a story in the Watchmen universe with it being political. "I think this world is about extreme... We're so bombarded by things where you have to pick a side and Rorschach is a character that refuses to do that." - Johns

lmao, Rorschach as radical centrist

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

DiDio has openly admitted that the Watchmen reveal in Rebirth #1 was done mainly to get publicity for the relaunch, and Johns admitted in interviews when Doomsday Clock was announced that he didn't have an actual idea for a story spinning out of said reveal until late last year, almost six months after Rebirth #1 was published. So whatever one thinks of Doomsday Clock, it most definitely is not the culmination of many years of planning.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The good news: no more Bendis at Marvel
The bad news: lots more Bendis at DC

and you just know he’s going to take over Batman from Tom King. Just please, no one let him write another team book or crossover event ever again.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

fadam posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion he's getting a Tim Drake or Nightwing book.

I will be very surprised if he's not getting a solo Batman book. Maybe not *the* solo Batman book, maybe a side book like All-Star (though I also wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Morrison on King and demote him to a side book). But either way, I find it hard to imagine he'd sign with DC if he wasn't promised Batman.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Zoro posted:

My guess: mixture of getting burned out because they stretched him over so many books and Marvel probably treating him less like a superstar when he couldn't bring in the sales figures anymore.

Well, also just that he's been exclusive to Marvel for over a decade and a half and has literally never written DC characters outside of one Batman Elseworlds story he did with Gaydos in 2000.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. I didn't remember Dead Poets right. I thought it was some solidarity table standing.

edit: I'll keep adding speculation. If there's still any Watchmen crossover hanging after Doomsday Clock, he'll definitely be doing that event.

oh dear god no. Anything Bendis does with Watchmen will make Doomsday Clock look like, well, Watchmen by comparison.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Hey, he might be referencing Meltzer's work on Green Arrow, which is definitely worth emulating and actually sort of Bendisish, kinda, a little bit.

Lex Luthor is currently still in a "good guy" phase where he's wearing his patented Superman armor and generally flying around Metropolis trying to be Superman, but the notable thing is that he actually, genuinely seems to tolerate working alongside Superman for now and even helping him in various situations.

Y'know. For now.

Just a quiet night... looking at the stars

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Not official yet, but Berganza has reportedly been fired.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/12/eddie-berganza-gone-dc-comics/

Of course, this isn't enough. Many more people at DC need to be held accountable for letting him off with a slap on the wrist.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Rosarch's gonna take his mask off and it's Prez

this would actually make me buy Doomsday Clock, not kidding

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That would be Nemesis,and the bad guy made the brother child gently caress his sister and booby-trapped her womb to implode if they tried to terminate.
I swear to god im not making that up

It wasn’t quite that bad. He just artificially inseminated the sister with her brother’s sperm.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Bendis namedropping Twilight of the Superheroes reminds me that I’m still surprised DC hasn’t attempted to adapt it into an actual comic yet. If you’d asked me prior to May 2016, I’d definitely have expected that to happen before they tried crossing over Watchmen with the DCU.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They've already mined a good deal of stuff when they did Kingdom Come. I could see them doing it as a one off Elseworld, like Kingdom Come, but it in no way could fit into the mainline DC continuity as an event as originally designed.

Every superhero is pretty much dead by the end of it, along with the Green Lantern Corps, and most the alien races from Invasion, which is arguably based on Moore's story, and that's not really a good ending for a mega event. The theme is that superheroes themselves are terrible and ruined the world, which is also not something DC is big on, especially in a main event. Twilight relies heavily on John Constantine in its original form too, which makes it even less likely to happen. It's almost John Constantine kills the DC universe to put it mildly if you're not familiar with the story synopsis.

Are the Kirby collection Demon comics any good? I got some Amazon gift certificates and I was thinking of picking up the collection since that seems like a good deal for $5.

All the really grim stuff is in an alternate future that the ending suggests might have been averted, though.

Anyway, I wasn’t thinking a direct adaptation of what Moore pitched 30 years ago, but rather a reworking of it as a possible future of the current continuity. But I digress, as I don’t actually want DC to do that; I’m just surprised that they haven’t milked it like everything else Alan Moore did for them. Who cares if it’s similar to other alternate dystopian DCU futures? It’ll get buzz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

so what are the odds of Bendis getting rid of Jonathan as part of the relaunch