Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I have upgraded from the home-buying thread to the home-owning thread.

And so far it has been an adventure in cleaning up left over lawn gnomes in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

tater_salad posted:

It'll be more interesting when they re-appear in the morning!

Especially because i put em in a fuckin' trash compactor.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So my house was built in 1971 and I plan to paint and re-floor 3 bedrooms.

Should I just paint over the existing color and stick my metaphorical fingats in my ears or should I get it checked for lead paint?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

That's not sticking your fingers in your ears. Both lead paint and asbestos that are in good condition can be properly abated by coating/encapsulating. In fact, that's suggested in a lot of areas because disturbing it and transporting to a land fill is riskier in general that just leaving it in place.

Another layer of paint it is! I do wanna tear up the carpets and do laminate, and the rest of the house has had that done, so I imagine the floors are probably not hiding any surprises.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

Make sure you test first: most lead pain can only be covered with oil based paint. You want to do a test patch and MAKE SURE it bonds. If you want to use something other than (what will likely be high gloss oil paint) there are primers that will stick to both lead paints and latex paints that you'll need to use as a mid coat.

Clean the lead paint with TSP but obviously do not sand it.

The rest of the house has what looks like a latex based interior paint like any other, so I'm prooooobably ok, but I'll check.

Edit: oh, the default paint is in the garage i can just check the can.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

every day in home ownership is a new adventure

today's adventure is that my windows quote is significantly higher than i expected

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sirotan posted:

:same:

This weekend I'm removing my front entry door to restore it (it's original to my 79yo house and needs a lot of TLC) and learned if I wanna change the hinges out to nickel it's gonna cost me $67. I made the decision to swap all the brass hardware for nickel in this house so now I can see I'm gonna spend like a grand just on hinges and knobs and strike plates, gently caress.

Yeah, the first company i quoted wants $11,000 for 10 Siminton 9800 windows, including my front picture window.

Gonna get another quote soon

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

falz posted:

Well always get multiple quotes, but curious what percent off you were, 100%?

I had expected closer to about half that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

tater_salad posted:

what was your picture window replacement cost and waht did you assume for that? I always figure picture windows are $texas. I have 2 in my house.. one will be betting removed since it's in a bedroom and the view of the police station parkign lot behind the house isn't really worth a picture window.

I knew it was gonna be more, but just in general everything was more than I expected (home ownership.txt)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Did you get quoted for the impact glass version? That’s going to make a significant difference.

The high quote is for laminated glass, yes. I could get as low as $7200 if i didn't do the fancy glass, and if I left the picture window out.

They're very nice windows, and if the second/third quote places this price in line with reality, I'll probably go with it.

Today's adventure? Electrician. But at least I can pay him in beer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

To be clear, the electrician is fully licensed, etc. He's just also one of my pool buddies.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

actionjackson posted:

can you explain this a bit more - they just put drywall on top and then paint it? is better meaning cheaper or just looking better?

literally yes. this is also the solution i arrived at if i wanted to undo knockdown texture

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

today's adventure: the big rear end oak in my front yard is gonna have to come out probably.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

What's the best way to fill in a patch of dirt where someone definitely not me dug up to get at an underground sprinkler?

Saw some 3 in 1 grass patch seed mixes, but wasn't sure if any of that actually helped.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fallom posted:

I've had good luck with the fluffy seed patches but you have to water the poo poo out of them for weeks. I used a bag of that and some top soil to fix a huge chunk of the yard that was dug up for a sewer line repair.

Make sure whatever seed you buy matches your existing grass, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjp0a-5dIDo

I know this is a bad photo, but I think this is just st augustine grass? (florida, for reference)

edit: yeah, i definitely have floratam st augustine grass. But the issue is in the back yard so it can just sit for a while and see if the natural grass does its thing

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 30, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

If it's not too big of an area augustine will spread rapidly if watered. Just fill it in and wait for a growth cycle, you should see runners come out to it. We patched a 10x10 area with one sod square cut into quarters and slapped down.

It's really not huge, so I was considering just waiting to see what happens if i water the grass around it. Glad to hear.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

If you don't have automatic irrigation make sure the dirt gets wet too. Seems like it would be hard not to but it bears mentioning.

This was specifically to repair an automatic irrigation system, so I'll confirm it hits that spot, thanks

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

piss on your walls

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

home ownership is like buying a mess and spending the rest of your life trying to clean it up

the tree is out, but they had to grind through my sprinkler line to do it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nevets posted:

Now that you've dealt with the root of the problem, the rest should just be minor irrigations.

you come into my new home and you disrespect me like this

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

let's talk about light bulbs.

what color temperatures y'all like for bedroom/bathroom/main space?

2700K seems too yellow for my liking.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

But I hate 2700k so much, it looks yellow and ugly :(

I might try 3000 and see how it plays in bedrooms.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i might do more Hue eventually but for now i just need to get light bulbs into all the sockets, lol. So if i change out a $2 bulb later, it's no big deal.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Maybe it's a generational thing: those that grew up with incandescent bulbs prefer the 'soft white' glow of those vs. harsher whites/blues.

There is a fair amount of evidence that the warmer temps are better for you at night due to the cooler temps interfering more with melatonin production.

I never feel like the 60w 2700ks throw enough light. Maybe 75ws are the way for me.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

well i put a few 75w 2700s in places and a pair of 100ws above my game table and they're a bit better

...then i found out my ceiling fan glass won't go over a standard A19 shape bulb and it only accomodates CFLs

who the gently caress does that

edit: i guess i could pop the plastic globes off the LED bulbs? they're just for show anyway

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 8, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I had this problem swapping out regular incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I wound up just buying a bunch of similar ones and trying them until I found one that fit. I'm dreading replacing it.

Really? Maybe an incandescent would fit, not that i'm going to try but I thought incandescents and LEDs were both A19 shape. It had curly CFLs in there before and those are the goddamn worst so out they go.

Edit: i guess they're a tiny bit bigger?

They're definitely bigger than CFLs

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

That picture is basically exactly my problem with the light in my hallway. It's a hair longer from tip to base and the glass globe doesn't fit because the bulb bottoms out on it. Bought 4 different ones from home depot and took the bag up on the ladder with me, one fit, returned the rest (or put them elsewhere.) As you said, you can literally just file off the plastic to make it flat if you're off by a mm or two.

in my case i'm off by more than a mm

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

You might try one of those dedicated lightbulb websites, looking at the different shapes they sell. Someone might make just what you need. Or suck it up and use a CFL you have to replace every few years. They have gotten better at hard starts.

I mean, the fans are getting replaced, so i'll just get some that are a19 compatible.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wallet posted:

5000k everywhere for everything, as is proper. I don't understand how people can stand everything being yellow all the time.

What do you mean it only accommodates CFLs? The bulb bases are standardized and you can get a 60w equivalent LED that should be small enough to fit pretty easily, e.g. these are a standard E26 base but the bulb is an A15.

I mean there isn't physically room to put the fan diffused glass back on when globe style led bulbs are installed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fallom posted:

I fukken love my sack of Ryobi tools.

same but makita.

their 18v/36v cordless stuff has been bad rear end in my experience

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

why would both faucets in my master bathroom take a long time to get hot water when the shower in the same room gets hot quickly?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

They're piped differently, perhaps pex home runs and a smaller/lower flow line than the shower. Could also be that you have a tankless water heater and the flow of the faucets isn't quite enough to have it start immediately.

I have a standard water heater out in the garage, and all the pipe is pvc as far as i know. if that's just the nature of things, david suzuki, then whatever, but it's a pain in the butt for shaving

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

It's almost definitely a higher flow rate. Could probably get hot water faster/nearly as fast as the shower with the aerator off.

The aerator is part of the faucet, correct? Because I have no love for these particular faucets, though I don't know how to disassemble them. They have a single lever with what feels like a set screw at the rear of the lever, and I haven't been able to get underneath the sink yet aside from to verify the lines

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

get the fridge that matches the wall more closely lest you bang your elbow on it forever

source: the doorknob in my hallway that i only catch belt loops on when i'm ALREADY MAD ABOUT SOMETHING GODDAMMIT

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

as a child i thought my father was good at household handyman tasks because he and by extension his father had come from an earlier time, before the pervasiveness of computers, etc.

two hours of drywall repair in a quiet room later i realize that people learn these things by failing at them and that the world is held together with good intentions and duct tape.
i don't know why i'm putting that thought here, but there it is.

the point is that the hole in the wall is fixed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Gaj posted:

I have a lovely old bungalow that isnt fit for human habitation, its used just for storage. However the roof on it is in awful shape, you can see daylight through it and its a home to animals. The plan is to hopefully get some patch work done before winter sets in and I have 2 choices:

1. Throw a house sized tarp over the roof to last the winter, do actual work next spring.

2. Have a guy go up there and put down a roll on roof in Nov (upstate NY, snow etc)

Should I just go with option 1 and have a tarp thrown on it? WIll this last one winter? While I push for a patch job done sooner the roof is in such a state that I think if anyone looks at it they will find more problems that need immediate fixing, requiring more patch work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i wanna hear more about you having to fight raccoons to get at your xmas tchotchkes or whatever

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

bulldoze your thirteen-ghosts-rear end-house

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i have learned of a creature more terrifying than previous owner.

previous owner's wife.

also i think the bathtub clog i just pulled out called me a racial slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

zaepg posted:

50k?! Google was throwing me 3-4k estimates. :eyepop:

What would my compensation be if the floor should one day collapse?

your "compensation" would be being swallowed by the earth you fuckin wingnut