Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best Reddit legal advice thread ever was the guy they told to talk to every divorce lawyer in his town so his wife couldn't hire one. I think it happened on the Sopranos. He did, and when the judge found out, he got found in contempt for acting maliciously.

No, they told him to do that in r/redpill. r/legaladvice has mocked that ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

Stex T posted:

The best thing to do is to have some process server commit suicide in some horribly depraved manner, and when he enters the Kingdom of the Damned he can go to Satan and be like PSYCHE, BITCH.

This is brilliant and I will pass it right along to the born-again and schizophrenic legal community.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, they told him to do that in r/redpill. r/legaladvice has mocked that ever since.

No, I remember that thread. It was one dude in r/exmormon of all places. He went and did it and then once his wife's new lawyer filed a motion for contempt he asked "wait isn't this a good idea?"

The funniest thing is that he later said that he wanted to go to law school, and folks were like "you'll never be allowed to pass the bar after doing something like this," and then a day later he posted on a local page about selling a bunch of LSAT practice books. Dumb motherfucker.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's a bunch of different versions of the story floating around, but it wouldn't surprised me if it's actually happened in real life several times & some of the stories are true.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cumslut1895 posted:

Tasing somebody for mouthing off at you is totally hosed up. Breaking somebodies window because they're being a dick is hosed up.

Sov Cits basically fall into three categories:

1. Dim-witted idiot that just got told these are the magic words to get out of a speeding/drug charge. Incredibly annoying, but otherwise harmless

2. True Believers who hate the federal government/police, typically horde weapons or fall into prepping. Still annoying but there's a much greater danger because they are often armed.

3. Dyed-In-The-Wool Fanatics who believe sov cit bullshit with every fiber of their being. Easily classified as terrorists these whackjobs spend most of their time coming up with elaborate anti-government plans or protests. Often heavily armed (sometimes better then most police) and willing to fight. These whack jobs have killed a lot of cops over the years, and only now is law enforcement really getting a handle on just how big a threat they pose. The militias that took over the wildlife refuge, that nutjob that shot all those cops in Baton Rouge, and the Oklahoma City Bomber Timothy McVeigh (who killed 160+ people) were all Sovereign Citizens. Larger groups are under surveillance by the FBI/NSA as terrorist organizations, and are often the subject of FBI sting operations. Dangerous to the general public but extremely dangerous to law enforcement/government officials.

The thing is, if you're a cop, you don't magically know what type of Sovereign Citizen you're suddenly dealing with. They could be a harmless dipshit just trying to weasel out of a ticket, or they could be a total whackjob who's buying time to get a weapon they've concealed in their vehicle or person for this exact situation. For your safety as a cop, as well as theirs, it's important to get them secured as quickly as possible so you have time to sort the situation out and figure out what you're really dealing with. I am by no means a law enforcement apologist, and the actions of many law enforcement communities regarding minorities of all stripes have been pretty appalling, but it's hard to fault them for dealing harshly with Sov Cits because they seriously can be extremely dangerous, especially given their little cult's actions of late.

Man, writing all that up, I need a palette cleanser

http://www.annistonstar.com/news/crime/sovereign-citizen-convicted-of-extortion/article_5f98b10c-4ecd-11e6-b3ff-3318a0f8155b.html

quote:

A Riverside man, convicted of second-degree extortion Wednesday afternoon, declared that prosecutors, an officer, judge and deputy committed treason for failing to comply with the U.S. Constitution.

Everett Leon Stout, 74, argued Dekalb County Judge Randall Cole did not have jurisdiction to prosecute him in a statutory court of law and that he was violating the Constitution.

“They are in violation of the Constitution and I place Investigator Webb, Sheila Field, Tim Burgess, and the judge under arrest for treason,” Stout ordered standing behind the witness stand, naming prosecutors along with the investigator. “I order the deputies to arrest them and lock them up for treason under the Constitution. Mr. Deputy, will you arrest these people?”

The Calhoun County deputy refused and Stout accused him of committing treason as well.

A jury found Stout guilty of using fictitious liens against Regions Bank in 2014 to purchase a $267,000 motorhome from Dandy R.V. in Oxford. When the liens were rejected as legal payment, Stout filed liens against every bank in Anniston and Oxford and against employees at Dandy R.V., according to testimony. The jury reached a unanimous verdict in 40 minutes.

Oxford police Chief Bill Patridge said in 2014 that Stout was a follower of the “sovereign citizen” movement, whose adherents often believe they are above the law and file fictitious court documents. Stout denied any dealings with “sovereign citizens” on Monday but continued to reassert that he was a devout believer in the U.S. Constitution during testimony Wednesday.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This might be a stretch on the topic, but related to reddit. There was a topic asking people convicted of rape to discuss their crimes and how they've been since prison, one dude came in and admitted he and a buddy got two underage girls drunk and had sex with them and he was never caught. As I recall he left in personal info on some other posts and some people called up where he was going to college and managed to get him expelled and fired.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Teddybear posted:

No, I remember that thread. It was one dude in r/exmormon of all places. He went and did it and then once his wife's new lawyer filed a motion for contempt he asked "wait isn't this a good idea?"

The funniest thing is that he later said that he wanted to go to law school, and folks were like "you'll never be allowed to pass the bar after doing something like this," and then a day later he posted on a local page about selling a bunch of LSAT practice books. Dumb motherfucker.

Yes, you're right! It was r/exmormon.

The mockery I remembered correctly, though.

Nobody has done a lovely MSPaint diagram in r/legaladvice in a while, which makes me sad.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Voice actors from Rick & Morty perform the transcript from State of Georgia v. Denver Allen live at Comic Con to hilarious effect.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Nuevo posted:

Voice actors from Rick & Morty perform the transcript from State of Georgia v. Denver Allen live at Comic Con to hilarious effect.

Hoooooly poo poo. This is amazing.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
But wait, there's video.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We had a case in our local court here where a woman filed a lawsuit for negligently killing her husband.

You didn't read that wrong, and yes that requires backstory.

So every now and then one of the beer distributors in our area sponsors a music concert, and as part of the fun they have a VIP area where it's All You Can Drink. One of their marketing directors gives a VIP pass to her husband, who gets shmammered drunk, somewhere in the mid .200's BAC. Post-concert, the director is giving her husband a ride back to their car across the parking area in a golf cart. But she doesn't have him sit in the golf cart, she has him stand on the back where golf clubs go, because their kid's sitting in the passenger seat.

She claims there was a bump in the pavement, defense disputed that, but regardless, husband falls off the back, hits his head hard on pavement, dies a few days later from it.

She files a negligence lawsuit on behalf of the husband's estate against her company. I think one of the main theories put forward was: The company failed to provide adequate golf cart operational training. It was basically a legal logic exercise for the plaintiff's attorney in attempting to come up with a theory that blamed something other than the director. It didn't work, case was dismissed.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Abugadu posted:

We had a case in our local court here where a woman filed a lawsuit for negligently killing her husband.

You didn't read that wrong, and yes that requires backstory.

So every now and then one of the beer distributors in our area sponsors a music concert, and as part of the fun they have a VIP area where it's All You Can Drink. One of their marketing directors gives a VIP pass to her husband, who gets shmammered drunk, somewhere in the mid .200's BAC. Post-concert, the director is giving her husband a ride back to their car across the parking area in a golf cart. But she doesn't have him sit in the golf cart, she has him stand on the back where golf clubs go, because their kid's sitting in the passenger seat.

She claims there was a bump in the pavement, defense disputed that, but regardless, husband falls off the back, hits his head hard on pavement, dies a few days later from it.

She files a negligence lawsuit on behalf of the husband's estate against her company. I think one of the main theories put forward was: The company failed to provide adequate golf cart operational training. It was basically a legal logic exercise for the plaintiff's attorney in attempting to come up with a theory that blamed something other than the director. It didn't work, case was dismissed.

She was trying to tap her company's liability policy for extra cash (not realizing that's...not how insurance works).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

13Pandora13 posted:

She was trying to tap her company's liability policy for extra cash (not realizing that's...not how insurance works).

Well yeah, but I just enjoyed the angle of suing your employer because you screwed up but trying to not make it look like that.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm surprised that I agree with Ryan Bundy when he call himself an idiot.

quote:

Bundy, who is representing himself in the conspiracy case against the refuge occupiers, declares himself an “idiot of the ‘Legal Society’” and not subject to federal law, according to the documents.

“I, ryan c, man, am an idiot of the ‘Legal Society’; and; am an idiot (layman, outsider) of the ‘Bar Association’; and; i am incompetent; and; am not required by any law to be competent,” Bundy wrote in a motion filed to U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

From the schadenfreude thread:

Random Stranger posted:

http://www.publicdefender.mo.gov/Newsfeed/Delegation_of_Representation.PDF

TL;DR - Governor constantly cuts funding to public defender's office; head of that office uses a law that lets him assign cases to any member of the bar to draft the governor.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Gann Jerrod posted:

I'm surprised that I agree with Ryan Bundy when he call himself an idiot.

Is this man real? :allears:

quote:

Bundy filed a motion declaring himself a sovereign citizen of the “bundy society.” Within that filing, he declared himself a creation of God rather than a “person” as defined by legal dictionaries, and therefore is not subject to laws. Bundy also wrote that his wife and children are members of the Bundy society and that he believes his home state of Nevada and the state of Oregon are not within the United States.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I remember a weird argument I got into with a SovCit where he insisted a 'tort' was 'when the government tries to take your rights away'. He clarified that by saying "if you ever go WHAAAAAAAAAT, you've identified a tort". SovCits seem to think that legalese is a magical language and you can cast anti-government spells by saying the right incantation.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

From the schadenfreude thread:

HAHAHA Yesssss! I'm guessing they got their budget back pretty quickly after that.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What does it mean to "draft the governor?"

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

The Ferret King posted:

In this case, because the governor is licensed to practice law, as many politicians tend to be, it means that the head of the office assigned all of the cases that the office could no longer handle to the governor, forcing him to either take time away from politics to handle a bunch of court cases or to refund the public defenders.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The PDF is pretty easy to read (pretty sure on purpose, as it's at least partially intended as a press release of sorts).

It's only one case, but still a magnificent burn.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Those not familiar with the state of most public defender offices, here's a good take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkEzLuzmZ4

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

The state has a law that lets that guy just hand excess cases that the public defenders can't handle. Public defenders are just always overworked and overburdened. The governor, who is a lawyer legally allowed to practice law, keeps axing their funding which screws over the poor very hard.

The guy basically just said "you created this problem and I'm forcing you to fix it because I can."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I get it now, thanks folks.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

FuhrerHat posted:

This recreation of a deposition makes me laugh every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

I swear, if I didn't trust this to actually be a transcription just from the source. I'd have to believe that punchline right at the end was fake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Artist Accused of Disowning a Painting Testifies

quote:

The lawsuit, brought by Mr. Fletcher and Mr. Bartlow, charges that Mr. Doig is either confused or lying, and that his denials wrecked their plan to sell the work at a Chicago auction house for what they said could have been millions of dollars.

Peter Doig, shown in 2013, is being sued as the creator of a desert landscape canvas, which he denies having painted.

The plaintiffs are suing the painter for at least $5 million in damages and, in addition, are seeking a court declaration that the artwork is authentic.

Mr. Doig took the stand on the first day of the trial, called as an adverse witness by the plaintiffs, whose lawyers asked him to go through the minutiae of how he creates art. The plaintiffs contend the work resembles other paintings by Mr. Doig and employs colors he typically uses.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh my loving god.

quote:

In a brief opening statement, William F. Zieske, a lawyer for the owner, said the evidence would prove that a painting bought in 1976 by his client, a former correction officer named Robert Fletcher, and signed “Pete Doige,” is “indeed the work of Peter Doig.”

quote:

Mr. Fletcher said he knew Mr. Doig in the 1970s, when the artist attended Lakehead University in Ontario, Canada, and later, while working in a Canadian detention center, and that the painter indeed created the work while a young inmate there.

quote:

But Mr. Doig has said he was sent a photograph of the canvas by the owner and did not recognize it. He said he never attended Lakehead, was never near the detention facility (the Thunder Bay Correctional Center, several hours north of Toronto), and has never been incarcerated. He grew up in Canada, before attending art school in England. He was 16 or 17 in 1976, he has said, and living with his parents in Toronto.

quote:

Mr. Doig and his lawyers have identified a man, Peter Edward Doige, who they say was the real artist. He died in 2012, but his sister, Marilyn Doige Bovard, said he had attended Lakehead University, served time in Thunder Bay, and painted.

quote:

The prison’s former art teacher recognized a photograph of Ms. Bovard’s brother as a man who had been in his class and said he had watched him paint the painting, according to the teacher’s affidavit.
Yeah, I get the feeling the plaintiffs may not emerge victorious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
How are there two people in the world named Pete Doige.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

How are there two people in the world named Pete Doige.

There aren't, one doesn't have an e at the end.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

There's not (at least not relevant to this case). The artist is named Peter Doig. The painting is signed by a Peter Doige.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WickedHate posted:

There aren't, one doesn't have an e at the end.

Whether you're a doig or a doige, it's an awful name.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

It's a doig-eat-doige world.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I have to work with 3 Raphaels, 3 Dans, and 2 Juan M.s at my job. I'm thinking of sueing the company for undue mental hardship.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Freudian slippers posted:

It's a doig-eat-doige world.

Hahah

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Goodness, it seems Peter Doig didn't paint that canvas while imprisoned in a detention facility in a province he'd never been too for a crime he'd never committed while being several years older than he actually was. What a great surprise!

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

quote:

Mr Fletcher's lawyer William Zieske said the lawsuit was brought in good faith and an appeal is possible.
Dear God, I hope they try to appeal the case and I hope Doig countersues for legal fees.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where's the "No Doig!" headline, media? Dropping the ball.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Forty‐one victims of the Aurora, CO cinema shooting of 2012 sued the cinema.

Now four of them owe the cinema seven hundred thousand dollars in legal fees.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Platystemon posted:

Forty‐one victims of the Aurora, CO cinema shooting of 2012 sued the cinema.

Now four of them owe the cinema seven hundred thousand dollars in legal fees.

Why were the people suing in the cinema? For not using their minimum wage staff to stop a crazy guy with a bunch of guns? For not chaining the fire doors shut? This one is just bizarre to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bbcisdabomb posted:

Why were the people suing in the cinema? For not using their minimum wage staff to stop a crazy guy with a bunch of guns? For not chaining the fire doors shut? This one is just bizarre to me.

Well, that's why they lost and now owe the fees. It sounds heartless, but this was extremely short sighted and dumb of them. I'm sympathetic to their trauma, but...yeah...don't really know what they were thinking here.

Apparently they were all in agreement to accept a settlement, but then just one rejected the deal and it hosed them all.

• Locked thread