Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My bus is late.

I blame the Greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Anidav posted:

How did the German Colonies go? Never learned much about them. They probably collapsed like Liberia.

About as well as any European colony in Africa (see: rampant genocide).

Endman
May 18, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

lol

I guess it will be used as an excuse to deny the states funding though "We tried, we offered a perfectly workable solution that would have given the states access to the money they need but they didn't want it but I guess they don't actually want the money badly enough :shrug:"

That would be a dangerous move, though. Federal govt doesn't want the states in revolt against them because it makes life super difficult.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Aztecs also ripped people's hearts out en masse in order to appease their gods, but the Spanish invasion of Central America was still super bad.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Full Communism

Endman
May 18, 2010

Anidav posted:

They didn't have internet!

The true tragedy in the invasion of Australia is that before the indigenous community was free from your posting

Endman
May 18, 2010

Because why have a Federal Government at all, am I right?

Endman
May 18, 2010

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

why indeed. henry parkes was wrong all along.

No wonder he's on the cheapest note :smug:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Sounds a lot like the Brighton Bypass debacle down here in Tassie.

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Bypass#Aboriginal_heritage_issues

Endman
May 18, 2010

But what if.... he literally fucks poo poo????

Checkmate tit hen

Endman
May 18, 2010

Skellybones posted:

Would a nomadic horde suddenly become civilised if they murdered everyone in a city, built a pyramid out of their skulls, and then lived in the city?

Yes, Ancient Assyria was a civilisation! Ten points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

what is the most advanced "Civilization" you can think of that did not actually build cities? It seems to me that historically cities go hand in hand with the rest.

The Huns or Ghengis Khan's Golden Horde?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Skellybones posted:

Well duh they had separate campaigns in AoE2.

Monk, I need a monk!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Skellybones posted:

I don't even know what numinastic means!

Coins and poo poo, basically. One step up from a barter economy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

One cool thing we do know about pre-colonial Australia is that there were continent-spanning trade routes; archaeologists found shells and other miscellany that can only come from Australia's southern coast in the top parts of WA and the Northern Territory.

Endman
May 18, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Barter economies didn't exist, we just think they did because Adam Smith said so :goonsay:

What

Endman
May 18, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There's no evidence that barter economies ever existed. It's just how classical economists assumed society worked before the invention of currency. The current understanding of pre-currency societies is that it was based on social debt.

e: The :goonsay: was self-deprecating, because I care too much about this.

Ohh, poo poo. No, you're right. I totally forgot about that. Sorry, I've got the flu at the moment and my brain isn't working properly.

Communal property and resources were also a lot more common before the advent of currency and have been in pretty steady decline since, albeit far accelerated for the last ~500 years in Western (particularly Anglo) cultures. gently caress you, Elizabethan Land Enclosures!

Endman
May 18, 2010

The main difference is that "barter economies" are based on the somewhat baseless assumption on a "quid pro quo" transfer of goods/services between people, whereas "gift economies" are looser, social-debt based systems that have a lot more basis in actual historical evidence.

Basically, I do you a favour, you owe me a favour, but there's very little concrete relationship between the two despite the implicit understanding that people doing each other favours creates a healthy community.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Skellybones posted:

Bill Shorten has a weird shaped head.

It figures you'd be into phrenology

Endman
May 18, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHso1e6NY90

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jesus Christ

Endman
May 18, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Isn't Labor leaving the existing NBN as-is a good thing, because it means they can focus on getting the rest of the network up and not focus on giving people who already have relatively fast internet, even faster internet? They can always go back and fix up the FttN areas latest I guess.

Considering that the NBN was always meant to be about bringing rural areas and places where internet is really sub-par up to scratch with what should be expected of a first world country, I think you're right.

Nerds complaining that they're not getting 100mb/s in the loving Melbourne suburbs is insulting and nowhere near the first priority of an infrastructure project like this.

Endman
May 18, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't one of the major differences between the Liberal NBN and the original that it completely hosed over rural areas by expanding the number of rural areas that won't be serviced by fibre, but by wireless?

I think so. My point was that all the whinging you hear about FTTN comes from suburbanites who want fewer milliseconds on their ping for Halo Call of Honour Duty Mans or whatever it is the kids play these days

Endman
May 18, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I know somebody who just got NBN satellite and while it is remarkably better than the old ISDN that was their previously only-available option, it still sucks balls compared to even ADSL2. The ironic thing is that they have an optus backhaul cable going right through their property.

This kind of thing makes me super mad.

Nationalise all the telecom companies.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I donate blood, but you can be sure as hell I'd never support compulsory donations. The government should not literally bleed it's people because they can't manage an economy or provide for them.

The Panama papers should tell you that all the excuse making about welfare and the demonisation of the poor that the government routinely spouts is based on a huge lie - that our economy can't sustain a basic living standard for all Australians. Because it can, it's just that wealthy individuals and corporations have literally stolen all our money.

Making welfare even more conditional isn't going to help anybody.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Bleed the rich.

Endman
May 18, 2010

hooman posted:

“Excessive taxes, excessive debt serve as a handbrake on economic growth.”

Malcolm Turnbull, 2016.

Jesus loving christ.

lmao

The cognitive dissonance is astounding; one of those is literally solved by the application of the other.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Who could forget the Half Life mod Escape from Woomera?

https://twitter.com/maxuthink/status/719670313366085633

That loving mod

Also great currency m8

Endman
May 18, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cC6Jt0rEkc

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I won’t ruin how the book ends but let me tell you, it involves a Queensland beach, a disturbing description of a woman in a one-piece swimsuit and a Bob Dylan quote.

Jesus Christ are you alright m8

Endman
May 18, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

He probably confused her with one of his daughters

:eyepop:

Endman
May 18, 2010

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/725161387589140480

:australia:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Pull factors are almost totally bullshit to begin with, but I guess the stupid conservative angle is that other refugees will see people being settled in Australia and load their children onto catapults and fire them into the sea or something.

Endman
May 18, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Serious, non-trolling question: why would you set yourself on fire when the government will pay for you to be returned to your home country at any time? Life imprisonment with real, actual torture I can understand self-immolation, but surely just going home would be preferable.

You've answered your own question, really. Perhaps returning to their country of origin means life imprisonment with real, actual torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Negligent posted:

I think the Cambodia deal is still on the table

which incidentally is where I plan on going if Bill Shorten ever becomes Prime Minister

Send photos

• Locked thread