Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Both Persona 5 and the Last Guardian will come out at the end of this year. Both games will be exactly as good as we want them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Reminder that the last original non spin-off Persona game was on PS2

persona is already a spin off game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

That's more popular than the mainline series

It's a very successful spin-off.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd murder Hitler.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Somebody did teach him to paint, he went to art school, he just failed to impress anybody with his lovely dumb paintings.

And actually, I'd go back and prevent the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand if I was given the option. That's a far more pivotal moment to shape and requires, at least theoretically, no bloodshed on my part. All I gotta do is sprinkle a laxative on the right sandwich at the right diner.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Farycry primal 2 announced

I liked their last April Fool's joke better

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, gently caress it, it's Digimon time. I'm almost put twenty hours into this fucker, it's like chapter 6. Dunno how long this game is, but I'm playing on the Hard mode so I get my teeth kicked in if I don't carefully breed my monsters ahead of time to counter and defend against the enemy attacks. Some of these boss battles have been frustrating, but this is a new month, a new start, a new chance at life so wish me luck, my fellow digital goons, as I embark on the digi-quest of my digi-life!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's anime garbage but I can't stop playing it because I can loving digivolve these fuckers to the moon and back and then devolve them and re-evolve them into even better forms until I have collected every last one

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I learned about Salt and Sanctuary from that youtube dreck guy Vaati Vidya. I dunno what it is but something about him just...irks me. Like, he's trying to sell me something. He's got an oily nature to him.

But he also has a very nice voice and usually does spotlights on games like Dark Souls, which is why he had a video on Salt and Sanctuary and also a video on this cool looking game where you are like...a rat with a sword and shield. I've known about it for about a year as a result.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This is so loving great. Between this and the Eli Roth short, the marketing push behind Dark Souls 3 is just weird in an awesome way and I'm loving it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grapplejack posted:

What in that game could possibly be spoiled?

I've seen a spoiler thumbnail for Dark Souls 3 that just displays some text that at the very least tells you something that happens will happen. It's very very minor but still. It's dangerous out there. 11 days of this poo poo left!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

souls are among my favorite games but gently caress reading who cares. also summon non stop for jolly coop

Always be summoning for your first Souls run. You don't want to die alone. Instead you can all die in a group.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

I generally solo the whole thing apart from the couple NPC quests where they have to help you with bosses

I"m the opposite, at least so far. Mostly 'cause you'll never have more peak user numbers than launch, so I try to get the online stuff to give me my bang for my buck

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Who here actually intends to go see the Ratchet and Clank movie?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Today was good day and then I remembered something I did to embarass myself four years ago and now the whole day's shot.

EDIT: gently caress now I'm remembering high school why did I think it was cool to wear my hair like that

gently caress my life is a parade of shame

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 2, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can only be friends with certain types of people

...people who really love video games!!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've been playing Tokyo Jungle.

Do NOT gently caress with hippos.

Such a truly wonderful game. It really never fails to be entertaining, even if it's quite frustrating too. It seems every animal has a sort of expiration date where after a certain number of years, animals too strong to kill will appear.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

Tokyo Jungle has a lot of "gently caress you specifically" elements.

I can't be mad at it when it's "gently caress you, die now" option is spawning in a bunch of dinosaurs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually I meant toxicity

Oh yeah, that poo poo is bullshit. If you get caught out at the wrong part of a map you're just hosed and there's precious all you can do about it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

The pixel art and music in this penny arcade game seem designed to inflict suffering on the player.

Strange, I though the 2-D ones on a whole looked and played better than the barely functioning 3-D ones.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

On my PS3, I have the entirety of Metal Gear Solid. (1,2,3,4,5, ground zeroes and revengeance - there are probably more but I'm not very knowledgeable with them).

I've played 20 or so minutes of 1, but it is difficult and I want to jump straight to Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain because everyone gushes about them and it is apparently set in my favourite decade. Should I just suck it up and play everything in order?

In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid 1 is the best Metal Gear Solid game. There's only one other in the franchise that might actually be better. Either way, you should play it and you should play it before you play the others, because the original PSX MGS lacks a lot of quality of life features the sequels have. I will say that the difficulty you described is quite normal and the game punishes you harshly until you learn how to play it right, at which point everything should get a lot better.

Stick with it, and avoid any spoilers from here on out.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

I don't have peacewalker because I don't have a PSP. All these games come courtesy of a friend who didn't want them anymore and knew I'd never touched them. (2 and 3 are the HD remasters, 1 is his original copy from his PS). He's a good guy.

You can play Peace Walker off the PSN now on a PS3.

I suddenly realize that MGS3, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain form a shadow trilogy to the first trilogy of MGS1, MGS2, MGS4.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
me gusta

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cram me sideways posted:

You'll play MGS1 and 2 and be happy with the arcade stealth but then you'll put in loving MGS3 and great now the radar's loving useless and now you've got to worry about this camoflage bullshit and it's so goddamn slow and who are all these boring characters and ugh no so you move on to MGS4 and it's sixteen billion hours of Kojima's autism, just a loving slog of him smelling his own farts and yessir more weird boss battles i hope you like looking at a wet woman's rear end as she writhes on the floor and begs you to kill her heehee kojima-san you are a character!!! okay so how about MGS5 well by god it's more loving plodding godawful not fun stealth action where you have to sit still for a billion hours trying to loving plot out a route or whatever except OOPSIE you didn't notice one guard so now the whole mission's hosed; BETTER START AGAIN. oh yeah and vagina-bomb. BUT THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE YOU GET A DOGGY AND REVOLVER OCELOT DOES A FUNNY

i didn't care much for MGS4 either.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh nooooo you guys sometimes games in a series change, instead of all being the same game forever, aaaaaaaaaa, let's freak the gently caress out aaaaaaaaaaa

hosed up if true

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Whose footprints are these!?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

The cutscenes around this part of the game are so good.

Baker's whole monologue is probably one of the best pieces of writing the series ever produced.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

Guys is there a genre name for a procedurally generated Turn Based Strategy game with a squad of characters? Like Steam Marines but not poo poo?

People call Darkest Dungeon a roguelike so...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The boss believed that a soldier's purpose was to follow orders, regardless of whether they believed they were right, or so I gathered. The Boss knows there's a bigger picture at stake; today's enemy is tomorrow's friend and so on. I think she more or less just had a sort of warrior's code of her own, but since she inspired so many people, she became a symbol for whatever people wanted her to become a symbol for.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Metal Gear Solid 3 is legit the best one.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress it, y'know what? I'm playing Digital Devil Saga. That's what I'm doing. I'm just gonna load it up and GET IT ON and that's final.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I got distracted by Lollypop Chainsaw and beat it real quick just now. Last boss is so bizarre. Whole game is bizarre, just this wonderfully off beat slash and hack. It's kind of shoddy in a lot of places, but there's a great amount of charm and style. One of those kind of hidden gems from yesteryear.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
On a very special episode of Alan Wake...

"What's this I found in your room, Alan?"
"Look, all the other writers are doing it!"
"Is this reefer? Is this...is this opium!? Alan Wake...are you doing drugs?"
*Alan looks at the camera with a horrified look on his face.*

I hope you'll tune in next week.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Legend of Dragoon has a nice soundtrack.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Man Vulcan Raven was tough. I got run over so many times. And what the heck where was the mine detector. I must have missed something. Also running through those beams was tough as nails. I'm glad I figured out what the cigarettes did.

The mine detector is surprisingly well hidden, I've never found or used it on a regular playthrough w/o a guide. It's not really necessary, you can get around the mines by crawling IIRC.

As for that boss, the tank fight is initially going to be the hardest boss ever, but on subsequent playthroughs the "trick" is pretty basic; you throw a chaff, which stops it from using its main gun. While it tries to manually aim at you, you run past, tap the grenade button and toss it. Once you figure out the basic range, you'll be able to bomb it pretty easy, and you can actually kill the tank in two hits by hitting the guys dead on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to buy a crazy JRPG today. My choices are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata, both for the PS3, both for the same price.

Which do I choose?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Like I don't already own all of those get on my level

this is serious guys I gotta decide by the time I finish eating this bowl of rice

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want a meaningful game experience that will last me awhile and give me lots of cool things to do, and I want it to look great while it does it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Guess it's the Return of the Lightning for me then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Then you should not be purchasing a Final Fantasy game made in the last decade.

Don't i know it. :negative:

• Locked thread