Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

Have you ever checked out the minimum jump runs. loving crazy. Especially half jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

It's so nerdy and pointless that it loops around to being amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

:eyepop:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I always loved the soundtrack for Red Dead Revolver because of all the off-brand non-Morricone italian western music it licensed. One of the tracks sounded like an Italian knockoff of One Winged Angel in the best way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M180ASSaq0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man a lot of people seem to be hoping Kratos isn't the star of God of War 4.

I mean granted he's like...kinda done story wise. He had his trilogy of games, a few portable entries and a prequel.

I guess people got tired of that marketing tactic last gen when the "Last" installments of games were coming out and all the advertising for the games were based on said finality. Like it was the FINAL chapter in the Master Chief story. Except it was only a maybe not a definitely.'

Honestly I think Solid Snake was the only one who went through that stuff last gen who actually stayed dead.

I'm mostly just interested if it's still a David Jaffe joint or if they're going to outsource it to a completely different studio as seems to be in vogue right now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

What's a good game that goes well with listening to podcasts

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280220/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

Even if it is him, what would he be raging and killing about?

He killed every drat god that pissed him off.

I always did like the hidden video in the original God of War about modern soldiers finding the corpse of a titan. American Gods only with Jaffe's tryhard grimdark instead of Neil Gaiman's twee whimsy would be a hell of a thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really wish that David Jaffe's cancelled "game that will make you cry" that he was hyping up after God of War actually came out just because the idea of him trying to handle anything with nuance is hilarious.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched the Mass Effect 1 game movie with all the cutscenes.

Is it just me or is the end battle, the one where the Alliance ships are trying to take out Sovereign the Reaper, is Saren basically a horcrux? Because once you (Shepherd) kill Saren, Sovereign's shields come down and it's immediately destroyed.

That's very silly.

They had to find a way to have you be directly responsible for the victory without actually having any sort of ship combat gameplay.

In retrospect it's pretty crazy how well the ME series managed to make a space adventure where you never actually fly a spaceship. Kind of like how the first Bioshock takes place entire underwater but has no swimming segments.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
How many more years have to pass before the Fallout/Bioshock/Mass Effect haters finally get tired of posting the exact same thing every time the offending game is mentioned.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Imagine Alex Jones being a codec call in Metal Gear Solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUK8EMX25VI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm punsexual.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
At this point I like the tool-assisted exploit people a lot more because being a quirky nerd who discovered parallel universes in a 20 year-old Nintendo game is way more interesting that being a quivering bundle of nerves passive-aggressively sniping people as they play through a game really quickly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I thought GamerGate stuff was verboten here.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Judging a game's popularity based on Twitch viewers is even worse than judging a show's popularity based on people livetweeting while it airs, because at least Twitter is socially acceptable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

VAPER'S RIGHTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2Y6ftxilM

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Videogames don't make people violent PS: I WILL LITERALLY KILL YOU IF YOU ANNOY ME

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

I remember finding it funny how the Penny Arcade guys made two actually pretty good RPGs with decent art and mechanics and then decided "nope this is too much work" and just made the other ones RPG-Maker garbage.

Episodes 1 and 2 were good anyways. I'd play them again.

It's more that they didn't sell very well because even back then Penny Arcade was a relic.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Me & My Katamari I think got some poor reviews on release because it's hard to control on a real psp, but with a dualshock it works pretty well. And it's cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHMtVu4tB64

The guy who actually created Katamari Damacy left after We <3 Katamari which explains a lot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's because the original two games weren't even making their money back and they killed the series for good until Zeboyd showed up and offered to develop the final 2 games for about $113 and some change.

Aw gently caress, Lance Reddick is in Quantum Break? Now I actually have some interest in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The core gameplay of Alan Wake was some of the most boring I've ever seen in a shooter, there's only two kinds of enemies and they all take forever to kill because of the stupid flashlight gimmick.

Real hurthling! posted:

according to GB, quantum break is a 6-10 hour (including and hour or two of full motion video) boring mess that makes the order 1886 seem varied in its gameplay

To be fair to Remedy the game's development was basically tanked by Microsoft using them to launch their television studio only to shut it down two years before the game even came out

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Toby seems like a cool guy and I'm really not looking forward to his next game inevitably failing to live up to peoples' expectations and the backlash that is going to come with that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

everyone always talks about how the dinosaur loves anime but never the part about her being a selfish liar

The Fat Lesbian Lisa Simpson dinosaur is the worst because not only is she incredibly annoying but she's a terrible person who is directly responsible for pretty much every bad thing in the game and nobody really calls her out on being a complete monster.

If it weren't for her fuckboi robot stealing the show that entire section would be a wash.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Broseph Brostar posted:

I like how the game is almost directly designed to make you dislike Alphys the first time you play, then the second playthrough you find even more reason to hate her. She's almost like an inverted Papyrus, where instead of being immediately lovable, you have to really get to know her before you can appreciate her, much like that kind of person irl.

And you don't even get to kill her in a Genocide run.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

I don't like hexes because some spells cost souls a.k.a. experience points a.k.a. money, and I can't handle that :(

If it's good enough for Goemon...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mistle posted:

Ah, to be a "video game journalist" and get food, drinks, gaming, and a band while attending something that's tax-deductible under "work related expenses" :allears:

On second thought, I remembered just how much brown-nosing goes into modern games journalism these days...

... and I'm a skeleton with very high standards

Do yourself a favor and never look up what a movie premiere looks like, your brain would probably melt out of your ears.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Today when I was driving to work the dude in front of me had an OCRemix vinyl on his car.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I have to give Metroid credit, it's the one mainline Nintendo series that they don't just keep remaking over and over with better graphics and a new control gimmick.

Shame about the actual end results, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It's a shame that Splinter Cell: Hobo Ops was cancelled because that probably would have been a kickass Bourne game for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f04N6CXHp2s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i so wanted conviction to end up like that. but instead it was just an ok but linear as gently caress splinter cell game. You did get to execute a neo-con on the resolute desk though.

From what I can tell the development cycle went something like this:

-Year one, develop dynamic chair-grabbing physics system
-Year two, oh gently caress we have to make an entire game out of this
-Year three, disregard years one and two

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They jettisoned all the Phazon to the Star Fox galaxy, which is why Assault is all about you fighting purple crystal bug monsters and infected people.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Prime 3 having cyber brains that aren't apparently related to mother brain and no one mentioning mother brain felt so odd. That entire game feels like it's sort of detached from Metroid as a setting. Like it's some kind of parallel, halo-wannabe universe.

Prime 3 wasn't very good. Between the forced motion controls and the pre-M:OM anime Samus and superfluous voice acting I don't know how much of that was Retro and how much was Nintendo but it did make me pretty alright with it being the final entry in the Prime series.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ometeotl posted:

FPS pointer controls are really good, sorry.

Aiming was good, all the gimmicky locks and poo poo notsomuch.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Policenauts is funny because you can spoil a major plot beat if you spend five seconds thinking about why you can't creep on one girl when every other woman you meet has a unique animation + text for perving on them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Not sure what you mean by "fully 3d" but there have been a couple good isometric / 3/4 angle metroidish games. Ys Origin on pc and Scurge:Hive on GBA/ds come to mind.

Now all someone needs to do is make a second-person Metroid game where you play as Adam and have to instruct Samus through everything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

fun fact: enter the gungeon is a blatant attempt by noted fuckers devolver digital to take over the nuclear throne phenomenon -- they even hired the same musician and everything

I watched a gameplay video and the boss in it was Vulcan Raven from MGS only literally a giant raven and I completely lost interest because I am so sick of indie games that think references are an acceptable substitute for humor or writing or character design.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Broseph Brostar posted:

I’m so furious. I’ve ranted about memes SO many times, and argh, it’s happened again. A game I was absolutely adoring is now a game I can’t play at all, because of a wildly memey boss fight.

People elsewhere are praising the game for its humor, I don't think it's unfair to judge the game for promoting itself with lazy Family Guy references when that's supposed to be one of its selling points.

Besides, it's yet another indie roguelite which means people are gonna gush about it for a week and then spend the next year complaining about how unbalanced and poo poo it is just like they did with every other one.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Every single time anyone's ever criticized him he makes a video talking about how horrible it is to deal with these ATTACKS while he is DYING OF CANCER.

While I may not like or care about him I respect being so devoted to video games that even while dying of cancer he still finds time to have strong opinions about games on the internet and defend them to the death. Literally.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The commentary for Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut is cool because at one point the art director makes a Zoolander reference while you're looking at a scale model of a building in the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe not a proper commentary but Volition's youtube channel has a bunch of videos of them playing old/debug builds of their games, unreleased PSP prototypes, etc. and doing running commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JN-ky-V6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hungry Bit posted:

Here's my super in-depth review of Quantum Break so far.

- Time powers are fun
- The live action TV show part is not fun
- Ugh the show is still on? Just let me play the goddamn game
- Jesus I hope there isn't like 20 hours more of this

Sam Lake should just move on to television and give Remedy over to someone who cares about actual games outside of making them mimic film as closely as possible.

• Locked thread