Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

The car's name is Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang which, incidentally is also what the main characters do in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caidin posted:

The magic in this game is so pretty, it's a shame that the limited use aspect probably is gonna bring out my inner hoarder.

Yeah, the second magic had limitations in the demo I mentally went "RIP Magic" and have now steeled myself for never using it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want a giant RPG experience and the more I talk about this, the more I'm starting to think I should play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

You might, and the disappointment may also be crushing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hitmage posted:

Wasn't that also on an Xbox One?

They aren't making two different set of gameplay mechanics, but yes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can't wait to kill everything in that video dozens if not hundreds of times.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Besides all that effort won't be wasted when they rerelease it in a year on 3 new and more powerful systems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didn't see the chocolate buster sword before but that's amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some people who play JRPGs also tend to not like when games restrict the viability of grinding. FFXIII and the Other FFXIII Lost Odyssey both had systems to cap level advancement and there definitely complaints about difficulty (Lost Odyssey in Particular).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Augus posted:

I really want to hear their story about how Versus XIII failed one day.

So about 4 years into the project, we all realized we had no idea what we were coding anymore. About 3 months later, a bunch of American military folk storm into the offices with guns and took all of our source code and kept mentioning something in their incomprehensible moon language about "doomasday" or whatever they were talking about. Never saw the guys in the IT department after that incident.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Episode Duscae only came out a year ago. It's crazy to me how much the combat changed this late into development.

That was the point of episode duscae to make them actually vertical slice and design a game. Like FF13 has a pretty good system but it didn't exist until they were forced to do their demo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

You can preload FFXV right now I mean?

Yes. Like it's preloaded on my system right now. I assume their will be a massive day one patch but it's preloaded

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunning posted:

Before that, we know at least 20+ staff that worked on Kingdom Hearts 2 went on to develop Versus XIII. They're not credited on the FFXIII trilogy or FFXIV. They only provided supervision for the Kingdom Hearts spin-offs and remakes. What did they do for six years? Who knows.

They collected some sweet, sweet paychecks.

"I've not seen the unreleased demo for FFXIII: Versus, and by all accounts it is terrible, but I have seen the house it built and it is magnificent"
-Tetsuya Nomura, probably.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do we know what is going to be in the season pass yet?

Side story content for the boys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Sounds like we should watch the movie Kingsglaive if we want a good heads up before starting the game from a story perspective, and it makes a lot more sense.

The massive patch apparently adds the relevant scenes into the game as cutscenes so probably not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

panda clue posted:

just kidding, I have no impulse control and already preordered on amazon. I just hope it doesn't suck... please don't suck... I can't take another FF heartbreak :negative:

It's gonna be the worst in the series.

Also, consider running through FF13 again but skipping literally every single one of its atrocious garbage cutscenes because the combat system in it is real good, it's just saddled with garbage literally everything else sweet mamma jamma even the loving item shop is hosed up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

The combat is repetitive and random battles take like 10-15 minutes even when played perfectly.

If you play as aggressively wrongly as possible, doing everything you can to stall for time, sure I guess that could happen although given bosses will instant game-over you if you try that it should tip you off that's not what you're supposed to be doing. If you're actually using the combat system to its fullest extent even boss fights are sub 5 minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SE did mention possible other tweaks but it's probably just more cheats added to the game and not like, adding a steal gambit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I've never beaten a FF, maybe 15 will be the one for me (prob not). The only jRPGs I've ever beaten are Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.

What's the best way to play 6, the PS1 port on Vita has just enough loading lag to be annoying.

Gameboy Advanced copy. If you mean legal now you can play on steam or iOS but be aware the game has been assaulted with the ugly stick in a lot of places where they plopped in new assets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It's very baffling to think that in a few days I'll finally be getting FFvs13 in some form after so many years, even if it has a different name now.

Is this how the people waiting for Duke Nukem Forever felt?

No, because Duke Nukem Forever looked, graphically, terrible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Color me unsurprised that the guy who unfucked 2 MMOs has the skills to mechanically turn around a group combat game but not fix the story so it isn't just a thin coat of motivation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

??? Tabata and Yoshi-P are not the same person

Fuuuuuuck

Well now all my expectations have been reset because I'm a dumbass

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RatHat posted:

Is the anime worth watching?

It's an anime.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zotix posted:

Any solid spoiler free reviews? I see the reddit thread w/ all the reviews but I'd like to listen to some that aren't loaded w/ spoilers while I'm stuck at work.

The part that can be spoiled is slapdash and middling. The part that is you killing successively more impressive foes, taking quests to do so, and chilling with your virtual bros while you do so is really good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Holy poo poo you're a monster if you don't answer this man's question

I take the silence as the game ends with a QTE anime re-enactment of old yeller

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So my amazon order still says it's going to "ship today", and hasn't changed at all all day. I'm assuming it probably WONT get to me tomorrow and if I want to play it tomorrow I should go a different route?

We live in an era of digital purchases and consoles that preload. If you want zero doubt you buy digitally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Med School posted:

So if I buy digitally I can play tonight? Then give my amazon copy to someone for Xmas...

I have off work all morning tomorrow, this is serious.

You can, assuming your download finishes in the next hour, be playing as soon as it officially launches tonight if you buy digitally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Hum, my download's not gonna finish for another three hours, for some reason--normally have much better bandwidth than that. Wonder how far I can get in the game with just the required startup data.

It apparently has a special goblin murder simulator room to dick around in while installing that goes away once it finishes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

No, that's what the estimate in Notifications gave me. Does it download faster at Rest for some reason or something?

(ed) After a restart it says 68 minutes. idgi

It downloads massively faster in rest mode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoever said nomura is non personed by the game is wrong he's right there on the title screen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The literal only missable in the game is an achievement which requires you to beat a late game boss on normal difficulty. Everything else you can go back and do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

orange sky posted:

Also what the gently caress Cindy put on some clothes, jesus

So far her outfit is the biggest letdown in the game.

I will pay you money to dress her better, SE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spergatory posted:

As a follow-up to an earlier post; one of the deadliest sins XIII committed was taking forever to get going. Even people who like it admit that it takes its sweet loving time getting to the good stuff. "Just play through the first five-ish hours and it gets great, I promise! :shepface:"

Beginnings are important, possibly more so than endings. A bad ending can sour you on a game, but a bad beginning means you'll probably never even see the ending, however potentially-redeeming it may be.

All that said; does this game begin well?

The first thing you do is learn how to poorly drive your car, followed by murdering scorpions with access to every feature of the games combat, even if some are a bit basic.

Hours later you'll wake up from your side quest stupor oand try and remember when the game wasn't about taking combat selfies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually groaned when I saw that the frog quest had a followup. First sidequest I'm actually tempted to skip.

Little things like that, and having to go all the way back to places like Galdean Quay to hand in quests, that are slowly killing my completionist side of things.

For those who've actually finished the game, how fast is AP accumulation for those deep skills that require like 333 AP to unlock? Or do I actually want to go grab those +AP acquisition skills in the Exploration part?

You can fast travel back to anywhere with a parking spot you've been to which cuts down that annoyance quite a bit.

The plus AP are nice but you gotta buy them early in the game to get any value from them given how slow they accumulate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The whole sequence hunting a Behemoth in the mist was very well done, but the cover system caused me to lose a couple times. Am I supposed to HOLD square to enter cover or is it really just extremely finicky?

It's hold. For whatever reason you have to hold things to do stuff in this game, mere taps are unwanted.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that is taken directly from Kingsglaive and is incredibly poorly implemented.

You know, gotta give them credit, this is the first time I can think of where a day one patch attempts to fix the story.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Really enjoying the game so far. The combat just keeps things interesting and driving everything forward

Notics throwing a hissy fit about his father trying to protect him is pretty dumb and kinda annoying. Dude, what do you expect? He's the king and he's your father. He did the best he could. Noctis' attitude doesn't really make sense, even for a haughty teenager prince.

I'm still in chapter 2 but that's not what I've taken from those scenes. He's pissed his dad is dead and that his dad didn't warn him and left him an idyllic state without any knowledge of the impending danger and he seems to get that his anger isn't actually at his father. The fact it takes him two seconds to be mad then go, yeah I gotta be king, was genuinely refreshing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Game is mad fun but I wish that the combat tutorial was more in depth. Unless I missed it, I had no idea you can switch your combos by moving the control stick a certain direction. Maybe it's in a guide in the option menu somewhere?

Was watching a video of some guy stylin on Gladiolus in training and was wondering how he was doing those sick flips. Then watched another video explaining the weapon move sets.

Also, if you pause your combo for a second and wait until Noctis puts his weapon away, you will do a crushing attack when if you attack again right after that. You can even start your combo with the regular sword, then switch the the greatsword, wait a split second and attack again and you'll do a whirlwind of death spinning move that owns.

Once I got the hang of all of that I feel like combat has really opened up a lot more.

It mentions that moving the stick while holding attack changes the combo you do. It doesn't repeat this or ask you to even test it out yourself but it's there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a game comparison one could make for each of the control types? Like, one feels like The Witcher, one is like Dark Souls, one is like a Platinum game...

Those would involve becoming a radically different game. It's just what buttons are comfortable and natural for you to hold and what is ok for you to use rarely. Look at them and decide there are only three.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

he's twenty

They're all under 30. A real young kingly retinue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

no wait, the best part is that someone depicted in brotherhood as a reasonably capable pastry chef suddenly got busted down to "all i can make is toast and rice balls" when the game begun

Dude has lunch meat and tomatoes that Noctis stepped in. Can't make macaroons out of that.

• Locked thread