Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I'm hoping is that we get a real return to form with this one, a nice fun good versus evil story with a lot of melodrama, except now it's also attached to an open-world RPG with a lot of systems to be fed into, crafting and cooking and poo poo, so I can spend hours just exploring and hunting rare monsters. In fact, I want the rare monsters system from FF12 brought back wholesale, except it should be easier to trigger monster encounters and less random in general (but not entirely not random.)

I want a giant RPG experience and the more I talk about this, the more I'm starting to think I should play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

That is not advisable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Noctis has 24/7 bed head anyway, the kid would probably fall asleep midway through trying to comb it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

Their morning routines must be daunting.

Noctis: Wake up. Doze off again. Repeat until something explodes or Gladio picks up him bodily and shakes him awake. Stagger to car, followed by mid-morning nap.

Ignis: None. Wakes up immaculately coiffed.

Gladio: Barbell Bench Press, 6 x 12. Tricep dips, 4 x 10. Wide-grip pull ups, 4 x 6. Deadlift the car when no one's looking. Cooldown pushups. Stare longingly at photograph of Cindy.

Prompto: Spontaneously combusts face while trying to brush teeth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stormgale posted:

Who does Gladio get to spot for him?

Titan, who else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait, girl Cid is no longer the real Cid? Lame.

This was stated all the way back at the release of the original Duscae demo, which was what, a year ago?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

"I was thinking of buying a PS4 to play this, but if it's coming to PC with a better version I'll just wait" said a whole lot of potential customers.

You are vastly overestimating the relevance of PC gaming even in today's market.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

I'm glad there's finally footage of Noctis driving the car. I was afraid they couldn't figure it out.

It took a long-rear end time for Noctis to perfect sleep-driving.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I can't help but imagine Ignis saying "FOOLISH" with every new pose in that gif.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I guess we'll get an official confirmation on Monday but I hope it's not true, especially because of the whole Neo thing.

The worst-case scenario would be the game running poorly on the basic PS4 hardware and SE/Sony using that as an excuse to push the Neo model harder.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to fill me in on what this '4chan leak' was, did someone say it was going to be crap and about the delay and then the delay was confirmed? If so did they describe why it was poor?

I never saw the leak myself, but it had a lot to do with the state of development behind the scenes and basically described it as a horrible, disorganized mess similar to FFXIII in its final stages - tons of hastily stitched-together content, exhausted staff, technical problems everywhere, et cetera. And yes, it did confirm at least one of the game's previous delays well in advance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

EDIT2: For those curious here were the 4chan leaks

When I first heard about this I was expecting more about the game's actual quality, not just a lot of plot spoilers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think it looks THAT bad, but you can tell they've made some compromises to have the wide open world. Characters still look pretty great outside of a some goofy designs but those are par for the course for the series.

It took a pretty nasty hit even compared to the Duscae demo with its lack of aliasing. Mostly textures and pop-in issues.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alder posted:

No time for romance. Gotta save the world :buddy:

English VA sounds better than I thought from the trailers. Still hyped for Nov release date.

If he pulls the brim of that baseball cap too low he falls immediately asleep like a chicken with its head covered.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Japan's youth worship means they will never stop being weird about fictional characters' ages.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Whether the game is good or bad, I really hope everyone involved with its production goes on a long, quiet vacation in the countryside somewhere.

Mug of hot tea and warm dog to pet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Her face is more angular, seems like. Makes her look like more of a hardass.

I'm cool with this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sure, what the hell, as long as there's structure.

My most optimistic hope for this game is that it feels like a finished, coherent product and not a shambling Frankenstein's monster of CGI and flashbacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Statistics aside, the patch excuse almost definitely is a hasty cover-up for poor performance in the game's final stretch. Two months also likely won't be enough to fix all but the very worst of it, so launch day should be interesting for everybody.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

You know, Tabata has been refreshingly open about the development and delays the game has been getting, what with him openly saying that the framerate was not up to snuff.

Out ofeverything I have seen from the game so far it seems like the thing they have been nailing the most has been the characterization of the main cast. It is kinda funny to me because Tabata has gone on record of saying that when he first started work on the game he absolutely hated Noctis because there was no character there at all, and one of his big goals was to make Noctis relatable.

If Noctis turns out anything like the way he's been characterized in Brotherhood he's on the fast track to becoming one of my favorite FF leads. He's broody without being obnoxious about it, since he's really just awful at expressing himself and prefers to keep his mouth shut rather than risk making a fool of himself, he's not an rear end to the people around him, and I never get bored of his narcolepsy.

In the latest episode I cracked up when the gang checked into a hotel room and Noctis was already curled up in bed, under the covers and fully dressed, before the others even got to comment on the drapes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't get how you can not enjoy Platinum. It's playful, it shows off the power of the engine and it shows off a good amount of combat with and without teleporting.

It runs like a raisin skin superglued to a rotted plank and most of the finer points of the combat system aren't explained. I went through it once and put it away for good because I still wanted to look forward to the full game.

On the other hand, if you challenge the Level 30 Iron Giant then Carbuncle literally texts you with a chocobo version of :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

Oh my god I'm going to starve playing this game.

The food looks garbo in the latest gameplay preview, it's heartbreaking.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finished Kingsglaive. Actually didn't find it that bad.

The editing was a trainwreck, character motivations were insipid and it's obvious that large chunks of the plot were chopped out, especially nearly everything regarding Libertus in the game's second act, but I was still genuinely engaged at points. It's nice how the peace treaty was such a transparent farce that the King knew it and the Emperor knew he knew it and the King knew he knew he knew it and they were both just waiting for poo poo to pop off so they could see who was left standing at the end.

Also reviews were harsh on Lunafreya but she turned in a pretty respectable performance even though Lena Headey was phoning it in. Lady racked up a higher body count than some of the professional soldier men by the end, she's like Yuna done right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

It changed directors once, and by all accounts the first did basically no work.

That's... not as much of a compliment as I meant it but it at least mitigates that one worry. :v:

And now he's working on the FF7 Remake, so we can rest easy knowing that it will do nothing to malign the original (because it's never ever ever coming out)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

FF7 got a gameplay demo in like under 6 months, it's way ahead of any FF project before

Given that the FFXIII and original FFXV "demos" turned out to be sophisticated CG mockups I really don't trust material from SE on that front anymore. Though maybe they've released something else since then, I haven't kept up with FF7R in a while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gibbering posted:

But we don't have an oversized mascot to crucify.

Prompto will do in a pinch.

It'd probably be just an average Tuesday for him anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I like that when games come with giant Day 1 patches, people decry the state of gaming. but when a game gets delayed so that the big Day 1 patch can just be put on the disc version instead it's gotta be that they're actually not making it any better and are just working on the Pro version.

gamers.

i said come in! is the only one saying that and he's an idiot, please do not consider him representative of any one group (besides idiots).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gologle posted:

I'm very mad that

Movie and game spoilers, dude, come on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's the same as the regular edition, except that you see the party driving 'round town with the girl you love.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Pre-ordering the regular edition on Amazon gets me ten bucks off so cool, let's go for it.

I don't remember this byzantine DLC bullshit ever going well, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LordMune posted:

13-2 was good, comparatively speaking - and also mostly developed by Tri-Ace. Lightning Returns was Square-Enix again, and it was awful.

Got them mixed up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That is delightful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Brotherhood was good just for how many humanizing moments it had for Noctis himself.

When he forlornly asked how to throw out a burnt frying pan he felt more like an actual person than anyone in the entire FFXIII saga.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Good article. It also sort of bears out Sunning's speculations ages ago regarding Tabata's development shakeup - his first major move was to go "you know all that stuff Japanese game devs traditionally do? Yeah, we're not doing that anymore." Flattening out the hierarchy and re-orienting team messaging to focus on morale above all else seems like a smart move. Guess we'll find out how well it paid off.

Also I don't know how significant it was in the grand scheme of things but I do like how the additional delay is justified early in the article by one team member basically saying "we did not slave on this loving thing for so long just to release it unfinished."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FFXV's probably been in development for about three years or so. The prior seven may as well have been filled with games of grab-rear end to the Chicken Dance song for all the good they did.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

Noctis. Poor dude just needs a hot mug of cocoa and a blanket.

It must have been frustrating to train new staff around the house when Noct was a kid.

"Don't let him near a bed. Yes, any bed. Once he gets his head on a pillow it takes the better part of an afternoon to wake him up again. Yesterday his tutor walked across a room to fetch a book and by the time she turned around the boy was already under the covers. Fast asleep. Pajamas on."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As I remember it the only fights that got tediously long were in the final stage, and then they were about 5 minutes each, tops.

FF13's combat is still a slog because basic battles still tend to take way too long and it makes the repetition wearying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Hey, I'm watching Kingsglaive, and I have a question:

Where did that huge octopus come from and why?

The empire likes to use monster summons as shock troopers, like what they did with that WEAPON-looking thing in the first big battle. Ultros was one of the summons and would have presumably been air-dropped into the city during their raid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno I played 13 recently and it probably has the simplest plot of the series, outside of the NES games obvs. Well, maybe not simplest but there are no twists or other shoes dropping.
It starts out as 'robo gods want to sacrifice all of humanity to somehow bring back the true god and try and force the main characters to help them' and it pretty much stays that way through the whole thing.
Pulse managed to defy my expectations because that was when it looked like they would find other stuff going on but then it's like 'nope, no one here and no magic solutions, better go back and face the music'.

FF13 is a simple story, told very badly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

A lot of people are comparing this to MGS V, and I kind of agree

Well, that's damning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

. It feels like an evolution of XII, although I think that game did a more able job of delivering a story.

That's really damning.

• Locked thread