Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ah, memories of being terrible at dodging and mistiming blocks while my allies do nearly all the work. It's like I'm playing Tales all over again!

Spamming Warp Strikes is good though.

Also quick tip for beginners: get Ignis' Regroup ASAP. It's seriously one of the best skills out there and it's only 8 AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Luminaflare posted:

Are there any must find items or places you should go to before leaving the first area?

No, everything will still be there when you come back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd appreciate magic more if it didn't have a cooldown. If I could just rapid fire 2-3 Fires in succession I'd like it a lot more.

Any damage tiering on the bros yet? I've been assuming so far that it's Prompto > Gladio > Ignis, but that's just my base assumption - I figure Prompto would gets lots of damage and combos to make up for his crappy health. Ignis would have the worst damage (although dagger speed seems to help make up a lot of that) but the best support and seems to be the best at magic.

Then again Prompto's niche might just be able to stay at range because I barely pay attention to him. If I'm using techs it's usually either Regroup or one of Gladio's DIE BOSS techs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well sure but if his damage is utter crap then he might well have a pea shooter for all the good that being at range does him. I'd rather have a beefy wall like Gladio since Noctis can easily take down birds anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems like the Behemoth hunt is now designed to teach you to use magic effectively but it only taught me how unwieldy it is with 50 tons of monster trying to eviscerate you.

I failed every attempt to burn the barrels. My teammates did all the works as I was running around waiting for spells to recharge.

It's not great design.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Speaking of which, when can you first grab new outfits? I'm partway through Chapter 3. I think the Quay is the only place I haven't checked yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain Baal posted:

I need to find a fishing spot now that I'm in chapter 3 because everyone has levelled up their skills and Noctis is still at 1 and I will be the king fisher

At the Quay is one. There are also two in the east side of the area that just opened up - one near the lake (you should also have a sidequest there), and one near a parking spot near the bottom.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Terper posted:

Camping out in nature can give you extra scenes and allows Ignis to cook food.

Is there some trigger for the extra scenes? I've only gotten one (Ignis) and can't figure out how to get any others, not sure if they're gated behind plot locks, specific campsites, or if it's just a low chance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually groaned when I saw that the frog quest had a followup. First sidequest I'm actually tempted to skip.

Little things like that, and having to go all the way back to places like Galdean Quay to hand in quests, that are slowly killing my completionist side of things.

For those who've actually finished the game, how fast is AP accumulation for those deep skills that require like 333 AP to unlock? Or do I actually want to go grab those +AP acquisition skills in the Exploration part?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

I wish to god quests gave less experience because especially if you're abusing the super-easy experience boosters you're hilariously overleveled just by playing the game.

It's definitely a potential problem if you're a completionist.

On the other hand I actually find myself wishing that you didn't auto-level at chapter completion, since that kinda ruins any potential level 1 runs in the future (which I imagine could very well be possible without that given food buffs and being able to accumulate AP through a number of ways).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I might be missing something but machinery seems to be really bad as a weapon type. A slow charging weapon that disables warp strike while you have it equipped? I mean I guess AoE clears sure but otherwise just pretty boring.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MMD3 posted:

So it's important to not let a battle end when your max is reduced before using a potion? I had no idea elixirs were a thing I needed to carry around. Seems pretty critical for dungeons

You can also pop Ignis' Regroup during battle, that'll help bump your health back up. It also revives anybody who's in that stagger phase, as long as they're not actually KO'd (then they need a Phoenix Down).

quote:

Also, embarrassingly, one of my hobbies happens to be collecting and selling manga and doujinshi on eBay - uh, pretty much all yaoi. So I guess what I am asking is whether this game is as queer as it really seems.

Uh, two of the main cast show relationships/attractions to women early on, but it's four bros being on a road trip, so I'm sure you can find something without looking very hard, I imagine it doesn't break immersion too much if you really want it to.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 1, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually lamenting the lack of Bestiary in this game. Being able to remember the weakness of the same dogs that pounce on me for the 18th time would be great if I could actually do it.

Meanwhile I'm glad that frog lady has finally graduated me to killing stuff instead of pixel hunting. Dog tag guy is still stuck on his shtick though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's an Ignis skill that auto-identifies weaknesses, maybe try that.

Already got that, it's more that the weakness indicator isn't constantly on-screen. I mean it's not a big deal unless you're slinging magic, since physical weaknesses are easy to identify.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Does Gladio have any experience point triggers via dialogue? Ignis has gotten like three (one of them being a 1000xp boost) and is about half a level ahead of him. Prompto only got a piddly 200xp one so far.

I just started Chapter 4 if that helps.

In other bits, the gang's constant griping about the line is gonna put me off fishing. Seriously guys, the line is fine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gschmidl posted:

What's the tradeoff for increasing power? Fewer "charges"?

There's no tradeoff, it just means you have to go recharge your elemental energy more often. And if you're gonna go for a while without being able to recharge and you need multiple shots of magic, having six half-strength spells might be more valuable than three full-powered ones, depending on what catalyst you're using.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

Large groups of gun dudes are merciless and will destroy you at any level, either nuke em with magic, or a warp sword into the centre followed by a great sword swing will scatter them and you can (hopefully) pick them off one by one.

They're also weak to daggers (or maybe swords, I can't completely remember off the top of my head), so warping into them and hack-slashing should quickly cut them down one by one. If things get too dicey, warp out or have Ignis Regroup, then warp back in.

Honestly daggers are really good weapons in general, especially once you pick up the trait that boosts the Tech bar when you attack.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lucas Archer posted:

I'm still early on - haven't left the Quay yet - and it took away my option to drive manually during the day. What's up with that?

You can't drive manually during the day til Chapter 3.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm assuming there'll be a lot of DLC outfits, probably eventually including some kind of swimsuit package (for summer of next year?). The game's got a bit more replayability than XIII, but I'm not sure exactly how much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wish the bros would be smarter about not standing in the leftover fire/ice/lightning from the magic.

Gladio can at least put on an elemental shield (then again I'm not even sure if he knows when to use them right).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So summon triggers are random, from what I've read? That seems fairly... unreliable.

Partway through Chapter 6, holding off on sidequesting for the moment since I'm already past level 40. :v:

Kinda balked after seeing Luxury Cat Food for 20k gil, knowing I'll probably have to get it eventually for a sidequest.

Does someone have a list of all the camp scenes triggers yet? I've gotten two of Ignis, one of Gladio's, and two of Prompto (one at a pitstop motel, one at an actual camp).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Prompto's weapons are best left to Prompto. Even guns feel like they just don't have enough range and you're better off warp-striking most of the time.

I don't think I've been in a situation where I feel like I have to use a shield, so I don't even know what they do in the hands of Noctis. Just swords/greatswords/daggers/lances all day.

Funny how Ignis has the best weapons but worst damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Libluini posted:

So, I haven't really spend much time thinking about FFXV after I learned the game is a total sausage fest, which killed my interest dead. Now that the game is out, are there really zero women characters? It's all just that dude and his friends, right?

Women exist in the world of FFXV.

You just can't have them in your party (other than as guests).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

I can't stop doing side quests, help

I played it for awhile, got bored and ended my game. It gave me a hi-potion for how far I got. I'm assuming prizes are better the further you get.

From what I've heard, getting 90+ chests gets you a +30% elemental resist accessory.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I said come in! posted:

FFXIII's entire playable cast was women and Sazh who disappeared after the first game, so this balances out.

Someone's forgetting FFX-2, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, XV does better for female representation than X-2. I mean Cindy's outfit isn't great but it beats Leblanc, who's slashed down to her navel, has two hapless lunkies, and spends 80% of the game swooning over a man.

I like X-2 and it's got a nice theme of female empowerment, but at the same time it seems to just crossfire on its own message from time to time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Did I miss a boss fight? I was looking for tombs so I went to the dungeon at that mountain all the way to the west and when I got to the top there was a massive arena and no fight.

You didn't miss anything. The trek up the mountain is pretty rough though, especially if you forgot to bring Smelling Salts and Gladio wasn't kind enough to pick up some Remedies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

I'm really curious about the dlc episodes, since they said each one has different gameplay depending on the character (Glady=Action, Ignis=Tactical, Prompto=shooter). And eventually this multiplayer expansion. It might be a dark souls 2 esque upgrade from above average to amazing in a year after the season pass and patches.

I can already tell Prompto is going to be the death of me. Why are your weapon types so bad and your health so low?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

When they said different gameplay, I assume they'll make Prompto possibly more of a cover shooter so his low health wouldn't be much of an issue?

Bring back the stealth missions!

Also from a narrative point of view, I'm glad Prompto exists to ask all the questions the players are asking, like who the heck are all these guys.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what do people make of XV's soundtrack?

It's mostly pretty good, except for Cindy's theme, that's just grating.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo that Gigantoad dungeon loving sucks. Look how goddamn dark this is! This is the middle of the day but they've artificially darkened the area because it's supposed to be in the woods or some poo poo. And this is a hallway where I had a battle with multiple loving flying enemies. Did anyone at Square play this loving game before they released it?

I'm sorry you trekked through it but you can find Gigantoads outside of the dungeon.

Also that place isn't even the worst for flying enemies, the Rock of whatever on the southwestern part of the continent is.

Also I got way too distracted, finally about to head to Altissa... after hitting level 52 from sidequesting, including finishing all of Cindy and Takka's sidequests, and on the final frog quest (which I can't be bothered to do right now even if the reward is really good).

Do the dog tags sidequests actually lead anywhere?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Incidentally, what's the best way to raise Gladiolus' Survival? Is it just foot running everywhere, him picking up items after defeating enemies, or a combination? Because the first is boring but doable with auto-sprint, the second will probably mean me just gonna go beat up a bunch of weak enemies.

It's still less painful than levelling up fishing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Spears are more or less the midway between swords and greatswords. Slightly slower, but better range and I think their combo has a sweep to hit multiple enemies.

Daggers are really good though, not gonna lie. They're great for building a lot of tech on a vulnerable enemy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

guts and bolts posted:

I just want some trophies man. :(

And also to see how many of the sidequests are the cool ones. Some of them are pretty neat.

Honestly you just need the trophy for getting... 80 sidequests? And maybe do enough fishing/running/camping for the other trophies. I think there's a hunt trophy too which I can't even be bothered to do.

Also some sidequests are only locked by progressing in the story.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
333AP lets you Break damage limits for one character at a time. So that's 1332 AP for all four. Then again, the only ones who really need it are Noctis and Gladio.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How bad is Costlemark Tower? Already did the sewer dungeon, which was fine if a bit annoying at times. Just hovering around level 52.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My other complaint with the battle system is the lagtime it takes for Noctis to use a potion compared to the other characters that use it immediately while time freezes. Means that Noct's maximum health is slowly trickling away while he's recovering from hitstun.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Alright, a bit of searching hasn't really found much - how many tours are there in the game? Outside of the Prompto one at Old Lestallum, I've seen four - two with Ignis, one with Prompto and one with Gladio. I'm getting that they're location triggered but hunting down and resting at every campsite is gonna take a while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There is another Gladio one near the volcano campsite. It has you get flowers for Iris.

Another Prompto one in the southwestern campsite on the world map, on the coast. The one that is right on the rocks next to a fishing spot.

"Dante's guns are so weak. This combat sucks."

Is that the one actually inside the volcano? I've rested there with no scene, not sure if I'm not far ahead in the game or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah, it's outside the volcano. It was on the road towards the outpost. Fast travel to The Maidenwater parking spot and run directly west.

Yeah, I figured it out and got both scenes. Also gave the flowers to Iris, humourously just as my MP3 player had The Extreme kicked into high gear. Perfect timing.

Also ran from the volcano to Cape Caem to try to bump up Survival and it didn't even gain a level. I think you actually have to do some fighting to get it to raise instead of just running on roads.

• Locked thread