Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Put me in the hotseat, I'm ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm jaded as gently caress about most video games and know everything from the spoilers but I'll still considering making time to play this game if my brother buys it for himself even though it takes half hour to get to his house to use his PS4.

It aught to be alright.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RatHat posted:

So how's the framerate on regular PS4?

There aren't really many prevalent performance reports coming out of these leaks so far so the most relevant stuff is still really the Judgement Disk.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I put up a picture of Gladio and wrote stud and one of Prompto and wrote dork. That's all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

I switched my preorder to a local retailer that generally ships games early enough for me to get them a day before launch. Amazon would've just been the cheaper option

If I had a local who was a Mom + Pop, I'd totally pay a bit extra to get it from them exclusively 'cos Amazon don't need your funbux. They'll probably start slipping you the games as soon as they get the shipment in too once they trust which is nice.

If it were just a local gamestop equivalent, meh, who cares.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've not bought online in a long time now, but The Game Collection was pretty good for me after shopto got a bit slow and pricy. Ahead of release and like £35 where £40 was average

Can't really speak for really recent though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RatHat posted:

So what's the consensus from people who have played XV? Good game?

It's a miniscule sample size but the jist so far is pretty nothing story but it's enjoyable to play.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i think you'll find that i think the game will be pretty bad

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

male.. to female... thundaga copulation

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

3 hours until everyone accepts Lightning's games are not the worst final fantasy. :unsmith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

ff13 is middle of the series, 13-2 is pretty below average but not worse than 3-DS, and lightning returns is in the top 5.

:yeah:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

13-2 is better than 13. :colbert:

I also wish to :yeah: this

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LR is good, yeah. The story's a bit poo poo but it can't be worse than the XV offering by most accounts and the gameplay is interesting and fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

El Hefe posted:

You only need to look at the voice actor's strike to realize how little game companies care about the plot in their games.

You only need to look at how little most of the hundred fold people who make the game get paid and how many hours they work in a week before being unceremoniously fired at the end of the project because there's no promise of future work to realise how little they care about making good, bug free and fully functional games, by that metric.

(It doesn't tell you anything other than companies maximise profit)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm gonna start up the game for the first time soon, what's the kiss gladio button?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Enjoy the road trip. Camp everywhere you can, taste everything, don't neglect fishing because it's kinda fun and gives good rewards.

Remember to save your favorite photos. This is very important.

Oh yeh, I know all the good stuff, I was spoiled a long time ago. Thanks though!
I guess the kiss Gladio button will be patched in?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 27, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Right, I get the Gysahl Greens on display at the chocobo post store. I get the dreamcatchers too, those are probably tourist bait mega sellers.

Why's the vendor got 6 handguns on show behind him though???

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

how do i stop prompto from taking pictures of noctis mid-getting on his chocobo already

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

orai... orai... orai... stoppu!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

m.hache posted:

So is there any big payoff for these side quest chains like Sania or Dave the "I keep hiring weak Hunters" guy? or does it just end with some XP and that's it.

I just hit Chapter 9, went back to the future and have a bunch of quests I can finish off.

Follow up question: I just dumped 260k xp at the 3x hotel and got to lvl 65. Is there enough stuff remaining in the game to hit 99? I'll continue to hoard XP I'm just not sure when to cash it out.

Almost certainly not based on the fact that most quests only give a couple of K but it's not especially hard to make the experience magic, just time consuming.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vargatron posted:

I bitch a lot about the story but SE didn't entirely gently caress this game up like FF 13-3 so I'm really nonplussed overall.

I'm at the start of the linearity now and I'm taking my time and enjoying the game overall but Lightning Returns is definitely a better game than FF15 to me. The story in both games is kinda garbage and kinda non existent, but LR has better gameplay in areas that matter overall. XV has the better looking, bigger and more interesting world and its characters are better but they also don't kind of have the same aims with them either because LR is simply "LIGHTNING'S GAME" completely where as XV is "King Noct and his bro adventure".

I'd say XIII-2 is probably a bit better too and it's about on par with XIII. They both have huge, large dreadful failings each, but they're also different failings that aren't especially comparable.

On par with XIII sounds damning on paper too, but I think XIII's a better game that most give it credit for, even if it's not a great game by any stretch.

As for Japanese open-world games being huge but empty, I think it'll reach a point where they realise that open world is cool, but a smaller open world with higher fidelity and concentration of content is better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a level of depth to it, not very deep but it's there, it doesn't ever feel random or haphazard and everything you can do in it feels deliberate. It's also an interesting take on having an action RPG which still maintains its Final Fantasy ATB routes.

I feel it's a better overall package than FFXV's where I think there's really enough mechanically to keep a comparison, but where LR didn't aim for a full action RPG feel where there's no ATB at all, XV did so it struggles to hold up to some of the games that aimed for that same feel and did it better. There's not too much depth to XV, with holding circle or square to block or defend and the animation locking makes it so blocking just in time every time isn't an especially feasible thing. Adjusting how you attack with the direction you hold too never really feels very deliberate either, a lot of Noct's attacks feel random.

FFXV comes off unfavourably in comparison to LR for me because it's not as good of a total package, and if you compare it to other openworld action RPG contemporaries, the comparison is quite direly balanced in the favour of the likes of Dragon's Dogma or NieR Automata's demo alone. Versus XIII was also essentially described to us as having a Kingdom Hearts style gameplay back in the day and that would have been better too. XV's come a long way since Episode Duscae 1.0, but they never got close to nailing satisfying combat, but they did reach serviceable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God, chapter 13 really does feel like someone drew up a list of "do not do this in video games" and intentionally made sure they hit every single one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is my favourite photo from my game so far, purely because it looks like that absolute madman mee mee

I told Crown Prince Noctis to come up with a new recipe and he actually did it, the absolute madman!

or something

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wish the suit (Kingly Raiment, I think?) wasn't DLC only because it's Noct's best looking outfit by far.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The train thing is pretty bad and I think I'd prefer it be Noctis auto driving the Regalia through the eastern continent and you can't get out because of reasons (Say, Prompto and Gladio don't want to put Ignis through more fights or drama than necessary) and just have the ride fade out after all the dialogue is done and come back when you're near your destination. Because after X amount of time in the game, I have infinitely more attachment to my car than I do a silly old train.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure this thread has heard this too many times by now but what on earth were they thinking about the level up rate of Gladio's skill?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hagie posted:

Yet there is like 200 tracks from FFXI. Which most I have never heard because I played that game with out sound 90% of the time.

they really should have consolidated them, even though it's a clear copyright doesn't let them thing but XI had some good tunes so it's nice to have a lot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Getting rid of the you need to pay attention aspect of the "traversing the map is largely pointless busy work you need to pay attention during" is one of the things FFXV did right.

It'd be dreadful if you had to drive the car yourself all the time. Ignis doing it for you means you can just go and chill, swap tv inputs to look at the net, gently caress with your phone or whatever. I don't think every game should do that, but it works here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Buy the game and fight coeurls.

Alternatively, don't fight Coeurls because it's an awful time and the combat isn't really built for fast enemies.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Attitude Indicator posted:

is poland not considered a western country or is there some other arbitrary criteria for dividing games between western and eastern?

It's pretty arbitrary overall, but I'd consider Polish developers to be western in the umbrella of gaming. Eastern European games generally have a unique flavour of their own though so calling them western too is an odd feeling overall.

Witcher 3 is way better than FFXV and like 99% of games ever made though so like ZenVulgarity says, it's not really fair to compare anything to it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have my platinum in this game now and, related to the magic discussion, I basically only used it to farm exp because gathering it from set points on the map is annoying, having to craft it is annoying and the controls aren't especially intuitive when you do it, its friendly fire is annoying, simply aiming it is kind of annoying, it doesn't look especially cool either.

Like kind of every single thing in this game's combat, Dragon's Dogma did it better. If FFXV had Dragon's Dogma level magic, I'd never use anything else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

triple sulk posted:

There's an item that kills off friendly fire damage from magic and then you can just spam it to your heart's content

It costs real life actual not fake legit money dollar pounds

so gently caress that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I wish the Ring of the Lucii felt like a better option outside of that chapter. I like the concept, but it never felt really viable after that chapter, nobody gets X-Zoned, Death takes too long when there are multiple targets, and I guess Holy only works when the ring is currently equipped as your active weapon? The other Royal Arms all give better passives than that ring.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

The ring of lucii actually owns if you go to the Veritas(?) Mart - Ravatogh and then farm the Wyvern hunt there. It kills each one with Death (hold circle without direction) really quickly and gives you a poo poo tonne of gil via wing drops and good exp if you go to eat a Maagho Lasagna beforehand, which will pay for itself if you do the farm.

I'd say it's probably better than save scumming for rare coins to level your bros up because it gets you to a point where you have more money than you'll ever need and good exp, while being generally more interesting because you're doing something.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 14, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think they need to buff the ring at all because it's boring to use as is. Unless they drastically change its mechanics to be something inherently different to what it is, it's pointless even if tapping circle instantly kills everything because it's not fun.

Chapter 13 sucks because it flips absolutely everything about the game all at once. Changing the game to a resident evil style key gathering game with really poorly implemented stealth and removing your entire arsenal is just dumb. You can probably get away with all of those things individually, but all at once, for a good 2 hours of gameplay overall is really bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It is the same thing as them saying it's bad. If they didn't agree that it was bad, they wouldn't be changing it as the product is released and paid for. There is no appreciable profit margin in them changing it at this point. They're doing it out of pocket because they want the entire game to be good, and while not all of the game is good and there's nothing they can do to fix that, they have the ability to fix a pointedly bad part and are doing so.

See: FFXIV 1.0.
They recognised it was bad and swore on their honour that they'd fix it up and make it playable for people who did buy it. It's a much smaller scale, but it's essentially the same thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so I have 3 trophies left:

Adamantoise, which looks easy if just annoying
Max Fishing, between the final fishing quest and getting Myltrout for Ignis level 10 food this'll happen eventually
Max Survival oh my god why does this take so loving long. How long does it take from level 9>10?

I think 9 > 10 took like 3 to 5 hours of rubber banding the pad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I believe it was closer to 5 too, but I don't remember 100% clearly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How do you use the new camera thing?

e: Part of the R2 options

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Taking photos of the moogles is dreadful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're taking a photo of something, don't push anything for a little while. It takes a bit for the game to trigger if you did it correctly. 2 or 3 seconds should be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Noctis' "I've come up with a new recipehhhhhhhhhh" is fantastic.

• Locked thread