Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I love muck ups like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Wasn't that always the case? Like she's the new Cid in the Cid family but another member of the family shows up as well.

I vaguely recall them saying that she wasn't the Cid to begin with and the other relative (Grandpa) was the Cid too.

She's the Cid of the XV generation, Regis's generation had Old Man Cid as their Cid. And so lived the long line of Cids'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This is very good to read.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

That is so ridiculously appropriate, I wonder what other licensed music they have in game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I do like that they seem to have found the nice balance between "Open world do anything!" and "We're still telling a linear story here."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Augus posted:

I think the Platinum demo was definitely a rushed job in preparation for the event. Kinda a shame but whatever

Platinum Demo was a tech demo that was given to the public. "Look at all the things we have, walk around as the monsters, look at the different effects, change the day/night cycle" etc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RatHat posted:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the tech demo with Type-0 and release the gameplay demo to the public instead?

Probably didn't have the Tech demo done then chief.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't think there's been this much hype for an FF game since the magazine newsfeed days prior to FFVII or FFVIII, back when they shipped out demos on discs.

Back when videogame trailers in movie theaters weren't a "thing that is done"

Back when the competition was Tekken, Goldeneye, and Super Puzzle Fighter.

this is weird waht is happening

You prayers to Chuchu have been answered?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also since they describe magic as being items, and that you can gain more from natural fonts of it in the world, does that mean drawing magic is back?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

So this is pretty awesome. Someone wrote up a guide of XV's combat and divided it into small sections where each is coupled with a short video demonstration. Most videos out in the wild do a really poor job of this and provide misleading information (yay age of internet streaming....). This guide provides all of the good stuff. After reading it and watching all of the videos, I can definitely say that it will help players enjoy the combat system much more.

https://sites.google.com/site/darkwavestyle/games-research/final-fantasy-xv-platinum-demo

Nothing made me more depressed than someone playing the demo, getting stabbed in the face 1000 times and going "Man this game sucks!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well I know how I'm pimping my ride.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'd be really upset but let's be real. A dialogue wheel is actually an advancement for FF

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Terper posted:

Would it be better if they kept to the list-style they showed off before?

I mean, obviously, but we've gone through so many UI changes that it's "Eh" to me. It's not like this is "Previous game establishes lots of dialogue options, current game has wheel"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I love Tabata's hard line with his team. "Do you actually have a legitimate point we need to address or are you just bitching for the sake of it. One of those is important to talk about, the other isn't."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

I saw public gay-shipping of Gundam wing characters back when it aired on toonami, like this isn't new to anyone

I saw people claiming that Gundam Wing was edited extensively for US audiences, cutting out boys having sex and a wedding. so if anything this is supremely less ridiculous.

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0m6q0TDbqo

Carbuncle Surprise! Pre-order and every Friday you can see what surprise the Carbuncle has to give you.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 21, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INFAzl6Y4tM

Didn't see this posted

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

People forget that 13 sold well despite a very mixed critical reception, it wasn't until the sequels that people started to lose interest. I'm pretty sure XV will do fine commercially. But hopefully the whole debacle of its development cycle gets Square to keep Tetsuya Nomura far away from leading any projects that aren't Kingdom Hearts.

To be fair while he's got plenty to take blame for, Square as a company had been a mess. The only reasons we can even say we got XIII-2 and LR is because really Tri-Ace did the games. The XIV debacle certainly didn't help in throwing poo poo off balance. Again, not that he doesn't have his problems, he's apparently very easily excitable about what to do. Tabata's story about how Nomura would call him up at 12 AM because he had a new idea he needed to show off now is a good highlight of his problems, as is the whole "Les Mis was awesome, maybe we should do vXIII as a musical styled game?"

I don't think he couldn't have produced a game eventually, but Tabata's made it clear multiple times that unless someone can present him with a real reason to change their direction of something, XV is staying the course and everyone else can deal with it, he's clearly suited for this kind of project, while Nomura appears struck with... I don't know the technical term for it, it's not "a desire for perfection" but like... remember how he phrased the old combo system? "Oh it's all free form you have to rapidly switch between party members and combo their attacks together." Cool in theory, sounds rather impractical with everything else in the game. He's got a highform mind and a billion ideas he wants to implement and, usually, these are the guys working under a director who then goes "No, we can't do all of that, put it to rest." So work gets done.

It's weird, he was pumping out the KH games with no problem at the same time (though... why was he the "director" on so many KH games at the same time?) but yeah it came to vXIII and the man went crazy, maybe the "task" of working on Final Fantasy in a director role went to his brain?

Regardless, we got Tabata now, and Tabata knows project management.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I still think that this is a fantastic idea and they should let Nomura make a game like this.

No it's fine, if you want to make a game like that. But when you've been working for a long time, you don't want the director considering that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean we'll be able to judge for ourselves tomorrow when the video comes out if it needs polish, or if Tabata is being a perfectionist with the finish line in sight.

I actually don't know which one I would prefer. That yes they actually need October to work on the game, or Tabata's just being crazy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

isk posted:

Yep, it's good to be inclusive.

I just hate that now I'm going to be too busy to play it until, like, February.

I'm actually the opposite, I'll be finishing up my work in October, so I'll actually have time to play it. Also, the building internet is Enterprise based, which means I'd have to set up a hot spot for the day 1 patch.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This game seems amazing. The only problem I noticed was in the tomb the party popping offscreen during the ambush. Also the car drives fake as poo poo.

EDIT: Never read YouTube comments

EDIT2: For those curious here were the 4chan leaks

>Poster on 4chan correctly leaked the title of MS conference's FFXV demo (Trial of the Titan).

"Gentianas role in the story."
Gentiana is Shiva in human disguise. dogs are Shiva servants.

"who dies? who is final boss?"
Luna and the dad die, final boss is Ardyn, the red head guy
Luna dies
>King dies
Where the f*** is the happy ending then?
Noctis will get to see loli ghost Luna so it's okay. Also his bros are fine.

"can u romance aranea pls answer this"
You can't romance anybody

"What are all the summons, and how do they look?"
Titan, ramuh, carbuncle, leviathan, shiva, ifrit, bahamut.

" What recent changes have they made?"
Nothing they've changed recently would be interesting. They've got a lot of Luna/Noctis flashbacks they made to be thrown around in the last act of the game and they don't know what to do with them really

"Will Noctis become a King?
I guess you could say he becomes King, but doesn't have much to rule over by the end

"Give a basic plot outline. The script may not be finalised but you must have some idea."
There's a full script as of nov, its just changing because it's a mess.
>opens 10 years in the future fighting ifrit
>real game starts, being sent off for wedding
>on the way hear city got invaded
>set out to collect weapons of dead kings to be powerful and take back crystal
>also have to catch up to luna who's waking up summons
>when you get to luna red haired guy kills her
>everybody is sad for a while
>red hair guy reveals he's 2000 years old
>Noctis has to sleep for 10 years to gather magic into kings ring to fight him
>Noctis gets out and the group fights him in main city
>Ifrit first, then normal red head, then monster version of him
>Noctis wins

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 16, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gologle posted:

I also really appreciate that the daemons are the classic Final Fantasy monsters. Or rather, since I knew that since the Gameinformer article came out, I should say I appreciate how they look. They have a very clear, distinct art style to them to separate them from the normal monsters.

I like how they're specifically the FFV designs, the game Nomura worked as the monster designer on.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Terper posted:

I'd like to stress what he says here:

"If you play through the first half and only the main route of the second half, I believe the estimated play-time sits at around 40 to 50 hours."

So it doesn't stop having optional side content.

I feel the meaning is that the first half of the game is more open form "Quest for the Tombs and power up Noctis, while also following Luna's leads." And then presumably at the mid-game, You'll have all the weapons and met up with Luna and then you're given very clear destinations.

EDIT: This is not stopping some people from losing their minds in despair.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Losing their minds that a FF game is... at least partially linear with some optional sidequests?

"Oh my god, they couldn't keep up the open world, that's proof the game is a failure!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So someones on /v/ dropping more "spoilers" But frankly it just sounds like poo poo taken from the various trailers and footage we've seen, collaborating with previous "leaks" and then with some other retarded poo poo thrown in.

For someone who's supposedly so involved in the product he's seen the whole game, him saying "Lucis isn't explorable" when that's the name of the region you start the game in, so... the place you explore almost completely. So he could have meant that Insomnia, the Crown City, wasn't explorable, but again, for someone who's supposedly so close to the game, you could expect getting basic details correct.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

Tabata went into more detail on why 15 was delayed, and he threw out one statistic that said 20% of japanese gamers don't have internet and probably won't download a day 1 patch. So there you go. Ultimately still targeting the japanese.

Well lets be fair, the Japanese are the ones who can firebomb their offices.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The number is probably not appreciably different in the US, especially if qualify internet to mean 'high-speed internet' or 'no bandwidth caps.'

Or "Not WPA2 Enterprise" internet, which is what my apartment building uses.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

Don't believe Ondore's lies!

"Vaan, we need you to be the most obnoxious person possible to attract the attention of the underground resistance cells."
"Oh my god Vaan is so annoying doing dumb poo poo like this!"

EDIT: One more point in the delays favor, my ISP finally remembered they needed to actually be calculating how much data usage I was using, so my internet went from 0GB each month to 155 in a night shooting right through my data limit. I wouldn't be able to download a Day One Path like this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Pretty sure the narcolepsy is related to the king being the source of the magic swords / city shield. He's probably just literally drained of energy all the time.

I like to think Noctis is just a lazy poo poo, hence all the trash he left around his apartment.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

taichara posted:

A friend of mine popped up earlier this morning gloatingcommenting that the game's been delayed again. Anyone heard something to that effect? I've only seen Tabata clarifying about frame rates being another reason for the delay til November, not a whole other delay window.

I see nothing on it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

Why would anyone gloat about a game being delayed

People are cocks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Everyone trying to get hot takes on a game that was only in active development for 4 years because they heard about it in high school and Duke Nukem sucked.

People want a train wreck and by god they're going to get one.

People are going to call it a train wreck no matter what. People are already calling it a trainwreck from the 3 hours of footage we have!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

HD DAD posted:

It's always a huge mistake to look at the boards on GameFAQs, but so many people there seem to want the game to fail so bad. I never really got that mentality.

Then again, I'm probably just a bad gamer.

Did you ever see the South Park Episode with Brittany Spears?

Okay, that's basically video games too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh my god I'm going to starve playing this game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NEW INFO

[Active combat skills]
>AP is shared between Noctis and party members. Player can decide who to upgrade.
>A mid air stationary dodge by pressing X/Square
>a few "use link attacks with X or Y weapon"
>A skill called death drop, which is triggered by pressing dodge in the air from a long range.
>A skill called Airstep, which is described as: "take a step in mid air after attacking, one time only"
>A skill called Airstride, described as: "perform a second air step after a second attack"
>A skill called Airdance, allowing infinite airsteps after using an attack (still costs mp)
>Blink: phases through an enemy's attack without using mp by pressing defend at the last second.
>Phase: automatically evade attacks while holding down Defend
>Upcharger: raise the charging limit on charge attacks
>Warp Decoy: leave a hologram at your initial position after a point warp

[Passive skills]
>Rapid Regen: Increases HP and MP recovery while in Cover
>Equip 2 accessories
>Libra: lock on while in cover to scan for weaknesses
>Libra Pinpoint: Boost damage inflicted on scanned enemies' appendages
>Enhanced Libra: Scan for stronger enemies' weaknesses and ifentify daemon appendages that can be destroyed

[Combat]
>Lightning magic is conducted through metal, and you can electrocute yourself if you're not careful where you cast it.
>Dungeons have areas with water, metal, or rocks every so many meters which augments the importance of magic choice depending on your surroundings.
>Magic can be combined into quadcast Fira/Thundara, which quadruples the combined Fira and Thundara magic effect.
>Parry windows are longer/shorter depending on the equipped weapon

[general gameplay]
>Car is fully controllable in manual mode and can be damaged.
>SideQuest dungeon had branching paths, and some surprises like goblins pushing minecarts or a samurai knocking you from the 2nd to the 3rd floor.
>SideQuest dungeon had a lvl38 enemy while Noctis was at lvl17. Area could be accessed early game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

And now he's working on the FF7 Remake, so we can rest easy knowing that it will do nothing to malign the original (because it's never ever ever coming out)

Yeah I posted this in the main thread, but he released like 8 games in the period between Versus coming out and being taken off XV. The reason nothing happened with Versus beyond Nomura's own issues as a director was because XIII and XIV hosed up so badly that every division in square got cannibalized to go put that poo poo together for ARR.

The most common complaint from ARR people I hear now is "Oh they cannibalized ARRs team to work on XV!" And you look at the names and no, it's the people who were working on Versus who were pulled from it to work on ARR, went back to working on Versus now that it's XV.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The source of that story is an IGN interview where they didn't even actually quote Nomura, they reported it as an offhand thing he said during an hour-long interview. It is very likely that it was not, in fact, meant entirely seriously but instead for some reason people are utterly 100% convinced that this was some grand master plan of his and he ABSOLUTELY was going to make it a musical because he's so inept and crazy.

Also brainstorming in literally anything involves tossing ideas out and countless directors, writers and other creators talk about how they make significant changes to their works based off experiences they've had or things which inspired them. Tons of films have major and minor plot changes based off ad-libbing or spur-of-the-moment chance. So telling me a director at some point went "hey, maybe our game should be a musical" and acting like it's this ~oh so crazy~ thing is excessive.

Edit: Like, yeah, Nomura's eccentric. He'd kind of have to be to be responsible for Kingdom Hearts which is the most anime thing to ever exist in this world. It just genuinely feels like because he's the most recognizable name Square-Enix has left the full brunt of every criticism is leveled at him (even for games he never worked on or barely worked on!) Versus XIII was a clusterfuck but it seems pretty genuine that Versus XIII was basically not even really in development but one of the many victims of S-E's massive internal development problems around that time.

I legitimately watching someone go through the motions of explaining why FFXIII was Nomura's fault for his "Influence" and then justified that it didn't matter that Nomura's own games were nothing like XIII, they were still poo poo. It was like watching a money flinging poop. But honestly the Musical story is the same as a lot of Nomura stories, like the FFVIIR one where the story spreading was "Nomura didn't even know he was directing the game!" and it's like, yeah... when they first internalized that they were doing it, he didn't think he was going to be the director for it, because they still had FFVII's director on staff, he had only ever written the story for the original game (and only the original story) and he at the time still had XV and KH3 on his plate.

Honestly my favorite Nomura story is when they were in the initial discussions for Kingdom Hearts, he drew the Lion-Sora with a Chainsword and then just stared at the horrified Disney peoples faces and went "No, didn't think so." Followed closely by calling Tabata at 2 AM because he had a good idea and basically dragged him to the office and detailed it all out on the whiteboard. Then again he's drinking buddies with Kojima, so he's definitely eccentric.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Terper posted:

Yes, and in hindsight it makes more sense, but at the time of the interviews we were lead to believe that Versus 13 was actually a game that was in development and maybe even approaching something akin to completion.

Anyhoo, I don't think it's done so much for the sake of bashing Nomura (any more than usual) as much as it is for the sake of defending Tabata. A lot of people (well, of the vocal minority) complain about Tabata being in charge and changing so much and disrupting this great vision that they had built in their head Nomura had planned out, like Stella and the invasion of Insomnia and the party scene and everything. Tabata himself has noted that they've received some pretty vile comments from people like that, and while he's pretty steely when it comes to that, other people in the dev team feel bad about it and he's had to reassure them. So when people attempt to defend what Tabata is doing, they tend to lean towards commenting on Nomura.

I can confirm people are still mad about Versus, even if you point out that we rarely saw anything solid. Tabata is the devil westernizing Final Fantasy and making a generic hack and slash quick time event marathon and the plot will be bad and blah blah blah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, pretty obvious, but XV showed up for the Playstation Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMiSaKqi7Bc&t=52s

Only for a few seconds, but it still looked really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So some... "spoilers" which might wind up being bullshit, but apparently takes place after Titan

some of the press have been able to play the part of titan battle, and a subsequent hours.
chapter 5-

-Iris has been living in in lestallum, helping in "exineris" (an energy company that is responsible for making tools of battle (like potions) and provide extracting energy from meteorite craters spread over duscae.

(this happens after defeating titan.)

-Iris and a brunette mechanic woman,she works in exineris too., (I think she has not been seen yet in any trailer or anything) with a yellow suit work; They have a plan to infiltrate the enemy bases in duscae.

(they have a plan, are rebuilding old weapons of niflheim; to fire missiles on enemy bases, with the help of all rebels gathered from all parts of the Eos world.)

-Iris is extremely intelligent with machines.
she has a small Magitek moogle; floating and speaks (very cute and funny), she built it. using his moogle as a computer that connects to enemy gates, to open them.
iris gets open some enemy bases, hacking doors, she does it in 2 bases in duscae.

-at first base in duscae, we fight aranea. (aranea receive a call, and she retires in combat urgently.)
(ravus scene)

chapter 10 or 11 i do not remember (after altissia and get the trains i suppose o.o)

- the characters return to lestallum, by a call of iris.

- the second base has more safety and bigger, so iris, accompanies the 4 bros up inside to open more security doors.

- large bases have machines, these machines uses energy fields on the bases, "protecting the bases of the airstrikes".

-in the last base, with a big underground part, a mission of stealth (there are soldiers and a behemoth with a machine in the back, watching the area)
in the end, access to a room with large machines and a computer, the room is empty with no one, iris wants access to that computer.
they discover very rare data on experiments with the crystal of lucis, on that computer, and recordings of the attack on insomnia, noctis angry to see the scenes and hits the computer, an alarm sounds.
They run. when they leave there, many soldiers have them surrounded.

-ignis, suggests Prompto use a flare shot, and take Iris, and run out with it. while Ignis, noctis and gladiolus, struggling to give them time to escape safely. (A long single fight with 3 team members (iggy, gladio and noctis))
they just exhausted by defeating all machines, there is a scene and
red giant hologram appears in the middle of the base.
in the hologram appears an old man with white beard, with a diadem or crown? in his head, he is speaking to noctis, and that he will try a "new toy" against him.
and then, from the air, it lands a huge Magitek machine; very cool (shaped like a beetle) and intimidating. (I do not remember the name).

- You have to flee in the opposite direction, dodging missiles.
-noctis, is emboldened, ignores the calls of Ignis and Gladiolus, to flee and not fight against the machine.

-Noctis ignores them and goes to fight, but the machine has a strange purple barrier that blocks the "warp" of noctis.
noctis is surprised, and he get hit by a leg of the machine, he get protected,
but the force of the blow, throw noctis violently against a machine that forms part of the base.

-gladiolus runs to help. the machine will attack again noctis, gladio gets in the way of the coup and block the hit, but he gets a cut on his forehead.

-the machine is preparing to launch a missile to both , ignis runs to push them both to save them from the missile.

the missile fails, but hits on a machine in the base, the machine explodes, and small pieces are flying damage the eyes of Ignis and hitting the big Magitek machine, gladio and noctis recover quickly, and catch Ignis, they manage to escape taking advantage of the chaos of the explosion.

(It is a chaotic scene, but very cool.)

- when leaving off base, prompto and Iris They are waiting outside., she has a damaged arm, apparently during fight they too had been attacked, and iris has a damaged arm.

They take the car and go to lestallum, to heal their wounds.
gladiolus not talk to noctis, since.

-that night, they spend very sad scenes. noctis is lost in his own thoughts.

-a moment later, troops niflheim take the lestallum city, putting up roadblocks to search noctis; they know that noctis walks near the town, after being seen at the base.

-a black dog, looking for noctis, throughout the city (there you take control of the dog)

- from a hotel, the manager, reveals a secret exit to noctis and others, they grab ignis and out the secret exit, they take the car and they go before the enemy can see them.

- then you see a dog scene. observing how they go with the car at a distance; and the dog runs behind the car.

ok I will not reveal much more, soon, an important temporary ally joins a while instead of Ignis.

fast spoilers:
-iris returns, with the mechanics of exineris to meet with the rebels, he says goodbye to all (then appears more times in history).

-ignis spends time with "dracoons" a warrior tribe, which help ignis acquire an ability to "see" even being blind.

-They are a hidden tribe, they train mercenaries (like the SeeDs in ff8).

-ignis back with the group, their main weapon now is the spear.

-Prompto the main weapon will be two pistols at a point in history.

-gladiolus will always fight with the big sword as the main weapon.

I'm sorry for my English. -_-

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/2594/i-know-about-some-spoilers-in-the-history-of-ffxv-spoilers#latest

No way to confirm it of course.

• Locked thread