Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Reminder that Labours "sister" party the SDLP, who they encourage people to vote for, recently voted against legalising abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormality, rape and incest. :tipshat:

Oh, and that Northern Irish women are not entitled to abortions on the NHS in England and have to pay fees for private clinics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

Surely if you believe abortion is murder you should be against all abortions

I'll give them points for consistency

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

What was Sinn Fein's position?

Pro babby death

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

SF only adopted a position backing legalisation of abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormalities last year and it was very reactive after it became a big issue down south, SF are still officially an anti abortion party and oppose extending the abortion act to NI - people like Martin McGuinness are very much in the pro-life camp

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'm going campaign for my local election to leave the EU.

You heard me.

I will be campaigning to remain in the EU

let's fight

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Labour Party in Northern Ireland has gone a wee bit rogue in the last few days. They've been running a campaign to try to pressure the NEC to let them stand in elections here but the review of the policy is still officially underway (and is unlikely to lead to a change). They previously passed a motion to select potential candidates to prepare for standing and have been buying local newspaper ads to try to get support but it looks like they've lost patience. Rather than run under the party banner, which they can't do as the deadline to register for the May assembly elections has expired, two members of the party (including the Vice Chair) have announced this week that they are standing as independents under the "Labour Representative Committee" banner.

I wonder if they're going to get expelled

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Assuming he actually is pushed out (absit omen!), the Tory Party is still in power until the next general election, right? Does this just mean that there would be a crab-bucket fight to take over as PM?

Yes and considering the EU referendum backdrop it would be a batshit insane contest

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If Leave wins England I would imagine Cameron is hosed

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

corbyn will overpay the EU and bankrupt us with his bad bookkeeping

China doesn't do rebates comrade corbyn!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I mentioned before that a clutch of senior Labour party members in Northern Ireland announced they where standing in the local assembly elections protesting the position of the national party not to field candidates, I thought they where standing as independents under a shared banner but they've actually registered their group (the northern Ireland labour representation committee) as a full political party - they where officially added to the register of parties on Monday.

Considering the party's rule book makes joining non-approved affiliates and parties grounds for expulsion I wonder if a purge could be brewing.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This is bad

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also I mentally add 2% to Remain every time an EU referendum poll comes out to cover missing Northern Irish responses.

Maybe I'm optimistic but prove me wrong polling people :colbert:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

ICM polls Northern Ireland, I know because the auto-dialler would always give me Northern Irish people at 10 AM on a loving Sunday. Several hours of people telling me to gently caress off on the Lord's day.

The tables for that poll shows no Northern Ireland respondents though

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Does Scotland's idea still hold if England, Wales, and Scotland all vote Remain but Northern Ireland votes Leave?

NI will vote remain by a good margin, some local polls have put it at 75/25 to remain with undecideds eliminated and somewhere in the high-50s for remain even with undecideds.

You'll have to try harder than that to get rid of us

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Would guaranteeing marriage equality and abortion on demand at a national level do it?

Too late for that suckers. The magic of devolution. You had your chance to change our abortion laws in 2008 and Gordon Brown killed it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Labour NEC have reportedly sent letters to the NI Labour party members standing in the assembly election and have threatened them with expulsion if they don't stand down - might even extend to anyone that signed their nominating papers.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jeremy Corbyn cares strongly about cheese

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Saith posted:

Speaking of, am I the only one annoyed that the referendum was scheduled for just after the Welsh and Scottish elections? I mean, it's not like they had to have it right now, you know?

The timing is poor and the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish first ministers all wrote a letter to Cameron earlier In the year saying "not June please" which got a response of "well I think you all should just deal with it".

quote:

Also, anyone know what'll happen if England votes out and Wales, Norn and Scotland vote in? It'd probably still be a British majority for Leave in that case, right? Do we get call ourselves the UK, stay in the EU and tell you to gently caress off back to your own country? Or would we be dragged out kicking and screaming?

It would be kicking and screaming though if Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland turn out at good levels at the remain/leave rate projected in polling England would have to vote leave by over 52% (that was calculated based on December 2015 polling by NatCen) so the opposite seems likely as well - that all of us uppity peripherals could keep the English in the EU even with them voting to leave by a (slim) majority.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 26, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure what the other options are. Independent terrible country? Independent terrible British Overseas Territory?

Well have to sink beneath the waves before you get rid of us sir

Just when you get comfortable and slightly optimistic about the UK bam a DUP MP will stand up and demand a ban on ouija boards

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

An unlawful killing ruling doesn't necessarily mean we'll be seeing prosecutions anytime soon, look at the Saville inquiry for example

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

After months of Labour MPs moaning Corbyn wasn't being pro EU enough....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-could-lose-swathes-of-voters-to-ukip-over-jeremy-corbyns-eu-stance-a7001011.html

Of course he doesn't mention that Corbyn was actually the most trusted leader on Europe in the recent YouGov poll. Corbyn is the only leader who even has a shred of credibility in terms of the "I'm a sceptic but we should reform from the inside" argument so I think Frank needs to just :fuckoff:.

Frank Field complains about Corbyn. Colour me surprised.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The Isle of Man has just made the rest of the archipelago look positively backwards (especially you, Northern Ireland) by not only legalizing same-sex marriage but also mixed-sex civil partnerships.

Actually I think you will find we are very forward

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Yeah, but in that couple of hours Ken had traipsed around multiple studios, not really helping things. Someone should have dragged his arse out of that situation. Corbyn really, really needs someone in his office who has a clue about media management, as distasteful as that whole concept may appear to him.

Isn't that Milne's job

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TheHoodedClaw posted:

He's the strategy guy, don't know what day-to-day management that encompasses.

Isn't he officially head of comms? I mean maybe he prefers to focus on strategy but if you are meant to be running comms it's your job to do this this stuff surely.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

I Want To Post In This Thread

Free movement of posters is a threat to our way of life

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

Rhodes must fall founder keeping it classy:
https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/726006165428133888

Is not tipping a waitress really "so black"?

Fair number of people commenting on this don't seem to realise this happened in cape town. The RMF movement in SA has kicked off some pretty militant student activity in the last couple of months with buildings being torched and rioting coming off the back of accommodation shortages and large scale protests about uni fees.

Edit: actually maybe I'm wrong - does Oxford have an Obz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

For the record the last two polls in NI I've seen had 56% Remain to 18% Leave (in a Danske Bank commissioned poll) and another (a LucidTalk one that uses a pre-selected panel) had it 60% Remain to 33% Leave with with 7% undecided

• Locked thread