Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
e n m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
So how would these bathroom laws work. Do they need to get a warrant to check your junk? Does using your body to convict you violate the 5th amendment?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't know much about this, but couldn't the governor just pardon them?

Governors can't pardon for federal crimes right? I assume that'd be the issue

Edit nm, these aren't federal charges

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Throwing Turtles posted:

So how would these bathroom laws work. Do they need to get a warrant to check your junk? Does using your body to convict you violate the 5th amendment?

I don't think there are any enforcement mechanisms. It's purely a symbolic green light to let the usual suspects harass LGBT people and keep them in their place.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Throwing Turtles posted:

It's a bullshit rhetorical exercise doing nothing whatever to accomplish anything except kicking trans people in the ribs with a boot to remind them that this is Are Country. That's how it works. Where's that link of a fellow openly admitting all of this is just payback for Obergefell?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nessus posted:

Where's that link of a fellow openly admitting all of this is just payback for Obergefell?

Here.

quote:

Reynolds did ask Staver to respond to a “reasonable observer’s” likely conclusion that the uptick in legislative attacks on LGBT rights seems to be a response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s June 2015 ruling that brought marriage equality to all 50 states.

"Well I certainly want to push back against that ruling," Staver said. "It was a wrong ruling. It has no basis in the Constitution."

Just like with the voter suppression issue, it takes surprisingly little effort to get them to admit what they're really up to and why.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 30, 2016

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

It's a bullshit rhetorical exercise doing nothing whatever to accomplish anything except kicking trans people in the ribs with a boot to remind them that this is Are Country. That's how it works. Where's that link of a fellow openly admitting all of this is just payback for Obergefell?

It's also a chance for people to enforce outdated standards of what they think femininity should be, as there have already been cases of cis women being harassed for not looking or dressing 'womanly' enough. So remember women, if you wanna use the bathroom in peace, you better think twice before cutting your hair or wearing those pants!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol joke's on Staver, because Obergefell wouldn't have happened if not for the anti-gay movement gaining a lot of steam and publicity by grandstanding on the national stage

If it didn't get so thrust into the public consciousness that people who would've stayed out of it otherwise were forced to pick a side individual states would still have a few more years of gay bashing before the tide turned against them otherwise

Now the next thing that Liberty Council is going to force people to take a stand on and lose is trans rights

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

lol joke's on Staver, because Obergefell wouldn't have happened if not for the anti-gay movement gaining a lot of steam and publicity by grandstanding on the national stage

If it didn't get so thrust into the public consciousness that people who would've stayed out of it otherwise were forced to pick a side individual states would still have a few more years of gay bashing before the tide turned against them otherwise

Now the next thing that Liberty Council is going to force people to take a stand on and lose is trans rights

Absolutely. I'd wager Texas would be at least 20 years off from gay marriage without the ruckus caused by prop 8. Hell, we probably wouldn't be here at all without the Lawrence v. Texas.

Plot twist: liberty council and frc are secretly accelerationist organizations.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bushiz posted:

Absolutely. I'd wager Texas would be at least 20 years off from gay marriage without the ruckus caused by prop 8. Hell, we probably wouldn't be here at all without the Lawrence v. Texas.

Which, of course, stemmed from a jealous gay guy getting one totally stupid Harris County sheriff deputy on the scene who deciding to try to actually use Texas's anti-sodomy statute in the first place, with the Massachusetts Supreme Court going on to quote Lawrence v. Texas as it became the first state to legalize gay marriage.

The law is awash with long and strange journeys.

EDIT: Also absolutely bizarre to go back and read up on the cases and run into the shitshow that is Bowers v. Hardwick. Easy to forget just how fast the LGBTQ rights revolution has progressed and how awful the 80s were for the community.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 30, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Which, of course, stemmed from a jealous gay guy getting one totally stupid Harris County sheriff deputy on the scene who deciding to try to actually use Texas's anti-sodomy statute in the first place, with the Massachusetts Supreme Court going on to quote Lawrence v. Texas as it became the first state to legalize gay marriage.

The law is awash with long and strange journeys.

Incrementalism not only doesn't have to be boring, but it's very often quite bizarre because mundane things don't shatter the status quo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Armani posted:

Bingo. Notice that no one is bitching about transmen/men's bathrooms.

'Our precious boys being assaulted by perverts' just isn't as reliable a string to pull as 'our precious women and little girls."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So is nobody watching the White House Correspondents' Dinner?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't know much about this, but couldn't the governor just pardon them?

The optics on a governor pardoning people in this kind of situation, or a POTUS doing it for a federal crime, would be really loving bad and it'd make a mockery of the justice system.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

So is nobody watching the White House Correspondents' Dinner?

The interesting part hasn't started yet, so it's just been dumb speculation about Obama and Seth Meyers' jokes causing Donald Trump's presidential run.

I am waiting patiently for Obama's Last Stand.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

The optics on a governor pardoning people in this kind of situation, or a POTUS doing it for a federal crime, would be really loving bad and it'd make a mockery of the justice system.
Yeah of course, but that's not what Thaddius the Large was asking.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yoshifan823 posted:

The interesting part hasn't started yet, so it's just been dumb speculation about Obama and Seth Meyers' jokes causing Donald Trump's presidential run.

I am waiting patiently for Obama's Last Stand.

I can't possibly see how he can top Luther the Anger Translator last year but my God, if anyone can do it, Trollbama can do it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Nobody is ever going to top Colbert. But the Circle of Life and Trump was fantastic.
It just got better when you discovered the next day that Osama was being hunted down _that minute_. Obama has no loving nerves.

This year... I just don't know.

But nooooobody gonna beat Colbert. They were NOT expecting that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

1stGear posted:

I can't possibly see how he can top Luther the Anger Translator last year but my God, if anyone can do it, Trollbama can do it.

He is one hell of a comedian.

I think it was the Atlantic that had a short article to that effect recently.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Armani posted:

Men aren't allowed to feel sexually threatened.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Armani posted:

"A what?"
- many conservatives, probably

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kilroy posted:

Yeah of course, but that's not what Thaddius the Large was asking.

It was going to be my follow up question though. I do get that it could look really drat bad, but I also wasn't sure how much of a martyr this rear end in a top hat was already being made with conservatives, and besides, it's Texas I don't count most anything out.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

drilldo squirt posted:

Men aren't allowed to feel sexually threatened.

Then why do suburban white dudes own big rear end trucks?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's sexually inadequate, not sexually threatened. Easy mistake to make.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

tbh i've known more women into trucks then men

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

mandatory lesbian posted:

tbh i've known more women into trucks then men

That's what a mandatory lesbian would say.

Bonus points if the truck has no hitch or a pristine bed.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Does an el camino count as a truck?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Azuth0667 posted:

Does an el camino count as a truck?

It's a hyphenate car-truck. A c-uck, if you will.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Luther the Anger Translator doesn't even come close to Obama dunking on the birthers with the Circle of Life clip. The camera even switches to Trump to show his reaction since everyone knew it was in no small part aimed at him.

And then as it winds down Obama gets in a dig at Fox News. It was Obama at his finest.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Luther the Anger Translator doesn't even come close to Obama dunking on the birthers with the Circle of Life clip. The camera even switches to Trump to show his reaction since everyone knew it was in no small part aimed at him.

And then as it winds down Obama gets in a dig at Fox News. It was Obama at his finest.
And then the very next day he announces we killed Bin Laden.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I recall reading that that night was the night Trump decided to run in 2016, basically out of spite for being humiliated.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Teddybear posted:

I recall reading that that night was the night Trump decided to run in 2016, basically out of spite for being humiliated.

Obama truly is the chessmaster

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Are we TV/IVing this thing anywhere?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Anyone got a signal? My sat just went out :negative:

\/ thanks

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Winkie01 posted:

Anyone got a signal? My sat just went out :negative:
http://www.c-span.org/2016-White-House-Correspondents-Association-Dinner/

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I LOVE THIS MAN.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

He's already loving killing

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Obama owns

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
4 more years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That was dark

• Locked thread