Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Dzhay posted:

This is always a fun argument, because everyone seems to think the answer is obvious, but then splits about 50-50 on what it is.

To me, this seems like it's mainly an argument over semantics: many people seem to be saying "this would/wouldn't cause you to die, because this is what 'die' means" or "the teleported person would/wouldn't be the same person as the pre-teleportation one, because I'm going to use this definition of 'the same person'."

To which my response is: okay, sure, use whatever definitions you want, as long as you're clear about them, but what you really need to do to convince people is explain why your notion of "dying" or "being the same" is the one they should care about.

The people who aren't doing this seem to fall into two(ish) camps:

1. People stating that "continuity of consciousness" (or something to that effect) is important.
Obvious questions: what's consciousness? why, exactly, is its continuity important?
Less obvious question: if time turns out to be fundamentally discrete on some small scale, does this present a problem?

2. People saying there actually is a meaningful difference between a teleported person and a person moved in the conventional sense.
Assume they were asleep during this process, so they don't know if they've been teleported or just physically carried somewhere. They wake up, how can they (or someone else) determine whether they were teleported or not?

I think we lack good language for talking about consciousness and it trips us up.

To your point 1:

Does the question "what is consciousness" really matter? If we can agree that we are conscious and that all things equal we would rather not permanently cease to be conscious I think it's not a problem if the phenomenon is a black box. Whatever the thing is, we possess that quality now and would prefer not to permanently cease to possess it.

That means continuity is important in the sense that *I* want to remain the entity having my experience of consciousness. If I shut off and some other person picks up with my affairs, even if they are identical to me in every respect, my experience of consciousness is over and everything else considered I'm NOT indifferent to that even if no one who isn't me can tell the difference.

I think discrete time doesn't really matter in the same sense as an exact definition of consciousness doesn't matter. If we're destroyed and rebuilt from moment to moment that is interesting trivia but doesn't change the subjective experience of consciousness or the desire to not stop being conscious. Whatever this ride actually is, I want to stay on it.

To your second point..

Of course there's a meaningful difference. In the case of transport, there is one continuous being (in the sense we're interested in) that goes to sleep at one end and wakes up at the other. In the case of teleportation, there's are two beings - one that gets killed, and another that gets copied and sent on its way. Whether anyone alive after the teleportation can tell the difference doesn't make the fact that someone was just killed inconsequential, I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

Firstly that is a misunderstanding of the phrase 'my thoughts', which I have been over before. It is not the material substrate, or location, of my thoughts that I care about - it is their content, which would be identical in the clone at the moment of transfer, and then of course - I should hope - develop in the future, as would happen whoever has them. I do not find this process horrifying in this organism, and would not in another. What I'd want the transporter to ensure is that the development starts from my current mental position.

As for the rest, I do not care that the clone would not be me, so saying it would be someone else is not going to alarm me. Honestly, most of the arguments on your side in this thread seem to me to be just repeating the original problem, but in a horrified tone.

If anything, this thread has highlighted for me how 1) smart people can get hung up on language in uninteresting ways and 2) smart people can reason their way into believing the absolute dumbest things in uninteresting ways.

edit, for content:

If you don't care that the clone would not be you, and are content that something exactly like you will continue in your place while you cease to exist, you should probably be in treatment for depression. =(

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Dzhay posted:

Bolding mine.

The first bolded statement is interesting. Are you claiming that the pre-teleport "you" would actually experience something (the ending of consciousness, whatever that is) that the post-teleport "you" wouldn't recall?

I'm saying that there is no post-teleport me. I was killed in the moment of teleportation. A copy of me, MePrime, who is numerically distinct from me, appeared at the destination.

Dzhay posted:

The second bolded statement reads like the sort of thing I was complaining about. Why should I care about this notion of "killed" where the person* is still there afterwards? What, exactly, has been lost?

*you're going to debate this, I guess. But if the post-teleport version is in every way indistinguishable ** from the pre-teleport one, I really don't understand how you're going to.

**other than location, I guess. Though the teleporter could be aimed back at the same place - would that make a difference?

You, a third party, won't be able to tell and might not not care whether what pops out of the teleporter is me or MePrime. I, as the person who is going to die, certainly care because I would rather continue to exist.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

And as evidence I cite:

So yes, I agree there is probably nothing more that can be said, and we have not progressed beyond Hume at all.

Like many thought experiments in philosophy, it's really not that interesting a problem and all its permutations were thoroughly explored hundreds of years ago.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

I see no value in numerical identity. I see huge value in interpersonal history, which in my opinion is not tied to numerical identity - and in my sister, who in my opinion would not have been tied to numerical identity if we had a transporter machine (that being the whole point of the discussion).

Do you think your sister would be indifferent between continuing to exist and dying, to be replaced by SisterPrime?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Boing posted:

Normally you have your consciousness in one body. However, as soon as you've cloned yourself, you now have two consciousnesses in two bodies. Which one is 'your' consciousness? You could say that you are the original person, since of course you are, but the clone has the exact same memories as you. If you are the clone, you would remember making the decision to clone yourself, but would be surprised to find that you are the clone and not the original. Since there are two of you, and the same memories lead up to each case, I've interpreted that as a 50% chance of you being killed, rather than of you killing the clone.

This could be batshit, but I'm interesting in thinking it through.

I think we continually get hung up on concepts when we talk about this stuff.

You are the original. We'll call you A. A has a stream of consciousness.

A is cloned to get B, who is initially identical in every respect but has a distinct stream of consciousness from A.

You, A, maintain your original stream of consciousness. You are the original. Your clone, B, believes he is the original but is mistaken.

Absent a mixup in the lab, there is 0% chance you are killed and 100% chance B is killed. There is no confusion.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Boing posted:

Yeah, but B thinks that he is A. Which means that, if you think you're A, there's a chance that you're actually B.

There are two people who think they're A. You are one of them. The probability is 50% that you are actually A!

This path of argument is being generated off of ambiguity about the word "you" and not anything actually interesting. =(

Like...if you and your clone were mixed us up in the lab somehow, sure, there is no way an outside observer could tell you two apart and you'd make identical claims about being the original. Ok. There's a 50% chance that your clone would be misidentified as you.

But that doesn't change the fact that if you started out as A, you're still A. You have a true belief that you're A, and your clone has a false belief that they're A. With 100% probability, you are A.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't get how folks in a post Phinneas Gage world can think any sort of essentialism here makes any sense. If damage to my brain can change my personality - who "I" am, then an utterly identical reconstruction of my brain is also me. "I" am a group of atoms arranged in a particular pattern, not a particular group of atoms arranged in a particular pattern.

If that pattern ceases to exist, and then begins existing in another group of atoms, then yes, "I" am still alive, for all intents and purposes.

For all intents and purposes except that the original you, the one that is experiencing posting in this thread, is dead and no longer experiencing things.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Boing posted:

But ambiguity about the word 'you' is entirely the point of this thread.

Philosophy: A discipline built around being unable to track a reference.

IDK, I think the ambiguity is entirely artificial and generated solely for the purposes of argument.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Why does numericality a matter here and not with split organisms

With split organisms the original is destroyed and two or more new entities are created. None of them has a claim on being the original.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

you have been completely incapable of saying anything that isnt stupid and internally inconsistant while dismissing people for the things you are doing and they are not so this basically exactly the nonsense position i expected you to take despite it being contrary to the already stated position of the person i actually asked.

Do tell!

Point out the stupid or internally inconsistent things in this thread for arguing about things.

edit: You're the guy who was naval gazing about his fuzzy sense of self so I am disinclined to trust that your unsupported opinion on anything else is grounded.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Boing posted:

This but unironically.

(it could actually be an R. Scott Bakker tweet)

What did I just read. That feed is like a mental enema.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Boing posted:

If you can't get on board with

you have no stream of consciousness :colbert:

I didn't say I didn't enjoy it :gizz: :smuggo:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
So we don't argue past eachother more than necessary, it may be worth laying out what seem to be the competing concepts of identity being laid out in this thread.

1) A person is a snapshot of attributes, however defined, such that if the attributes are perfectly copied the person is also copied. Therefore a perfect copy is for all intents and purposes original. Or alternately, being original doesn't matter if no one can tell the difference.

2) A person is a continuous stream of attributes, however defined, such that starting a new stream from a snapshot of the original creates a new entity that is distinct from the original. Or alternately, being original does matter because that other guy over there is not me and I'M not indifferent about which of us you kill, thank you very much.

Does that seem like a fair starting point?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Here's another scenario I'd put before the Numerical Identity folks: what would you do if, through no action of your own, you woke up in the "output" room of the teleporter, with the certain knowledge that the "original you" has been destroyed. Would you consider you, you? Would you consider yourself a soulless monster, as mantis42 put it?

What if you didn't find out for a while? A week, a month, ten years? What if its already happened?

The original, YouOriginal, has been destroyed. You are YouPrime. You could choose to take over YouOriginal's life, and you'd be YouPrime pretending to be YouOriginal. You could not find out for a month that YouOriginal was dead and that you're actually YouPrime, and you'd be YouPrime with the mistaken belief that you're YouOriginal.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think people are genuinely confused about which entity is which; everyone knows there is a distinction between the original and the copy, even if we can't necessarily perceive it. The division is over whether it's significant, i.e. important enough to say "that's not my sister, she's made out of different atoms". I think largely this depends on what exactly you want out of the replicated object.

When that object is a person, perhaps the perspective of the person is more important?

I mean, it may not matter to you whether you're living around your sister or a clone who is indistinguishable from your sister, but surely it matters to your sister.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

What creates the illusion of the self? What connects the consciousness of one moment to the consciousness of the next?

What does it matter?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

This is basically you describing your own contributions to this thread so far.

This is identical to you not engaging with anything I've written. Whether it's because you're a poor poster or because you can't materialize a criticism is unknowable.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So, what if your brain wasn't destroyed wholesale in the process. A piece is scanned, destroyed, and built on the other side. Its then networked artifically with you back at the start. Then another piece is done till your fully transfered over. Does this change how people feel about continuity? How fast can this be done before it feels like destruction? Is it functionally different then your brains normal process of replacing neurons?

The point of the thought experiment isn't to redesign teleportation to render the question moot.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My contention is that there is no continuity, and I see no evidence that there is. Nothing in how I live my life from day to day or even moment-to-moment requires continuity, because memory (and a similar physical context) is sufficient.

That you continue to perceive from moment to moment is evidence of continuity, isn't it? Even if you go to sleep, get knocked unconscious, etc, when you wake up you're still the observer behind your eyes and not someone else.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Philosophy: I'm not dead in any meaningful sense of the term. :smuggo: *clone fucks wife, raises kids, has life*

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nope. It's just evidence of short-term memory. I don't know whether I'm the same observer from one moment to the next -- I have memories that suggest that I am, but that's exactly the same thing the clone would think.

In what sense would you not be the same observer? In what sense could you be a different observer but still observing?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Well I assume I am because, well, what's the alternative? But how would I know if I wasn't?

You tell me how it's supposed to work, because to me the concept that you could "not be the same observer" is nonsense.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If instances of consciousness separated by space are different from each other, why should we consider instances of consciousness separated by time to be the same?

Same question I posed before. What would it mean for instances of consciousness separated by time to be different?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The purpose of changing the question is to figure out where the line lays for different people, and that is relevant to the philosophy at question.

The line is irrelevant, is the thing. That's about the implementation of the teleporter and the point is not "can we find a teleporter scenario in which you would use this thing", the point is to jumpstart conversation about identity.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It would mean that it's silly to worry about the "destruction" of your consciousness because it's not something that persists, it's something that's continually replaced or renewed as long as certain physical conditions are met. I don't possess the same consciousness that I possessed a moment ago, so why should I be concerned that it's not the same consciousness when I go through the teleporter?

Who is the "you" that possesses the consciousness? It seems like THAT you is persisting and in that case, what work is being done by your concept of consciousness?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Like, I honestly don't really understand what you're asking, if that doesn't answer it. If I had the same consciousness as myself in the past, I would be experiencing the past and the present simultaneously, and that's not how I experience things.

Like...your conciousness is the thing doing the experiencing, which we both seem to take to be continuous and persisting if I'm not misunderstanding?

edit:

Like...that there is some you that is moving through time and experiencing things is implicit in your language about this. I'm saying that you is your consciousness. But we could use some other word if you want.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If it walks like a Tuxedo Catfish, and it talks like a Tuxedo Catfish, and it gets in abstract internet arguments about identity like a Tuxedo Catfish, it's a Tuxedo Catfish. So basically, any member of a class of bodies that sufficiently resemble each other to the extent that they can be recognized as me, are all me.

I'd agree with Peta that this isn't an adequate description of the entity Tuxedo Catfish. It's sufficient most of the time because in the world we live in, there's only ever one Tuxedo Catfish running around and he is you. But in a world where there were clones or doubles your definition of Tuxedo Catfish would fail to identify an individual and you'd need to get more specific.

Like...if your clone were served a summons meant for you, he would be 100% justified in not showing up. If your clone decided to gently caress your wife you'd still be c.u.c.k.e.d. Your duplicate might be in the mold of Tuxedo Catfish but wouldn't be The Tuxedo Catfish and therefore you and your clone are different individuals and you'd need different descriptors, different concepts, for each discrete entity.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If this applies to me at different ages -- when I was a radically different person than I am now -- then I see no sensible definition that would exclude virtually identical clones or copies.

Time keeps all those different yous, if we want to think of them that way, conveniently separate. But just like above, if you were bumping into you from a few minutes ago all the time you'd need to refine your concept of self.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have no reason to assume they can.

Wait, of course you do. You exist and have existed for years.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're saying that someone with the characteristics of Tuxedo Catfish has existed for years, then sure, that seems likely.

If you're saying "the consciousness that presently animates you has been there all along" then that's an extraordinary claim

Why is that the extroardinary claim?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That I'm the same consciousness as another consciousness despite there being no overlap of our experience.

That's the claim you're making when you say your clones are you, though.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

What is the essential component of consciousness that exists from birth or whenever you think it emerges and remains unchanged throughout one's life?

It really doesn't matter?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because you're saying that I'm the same consciousness as another consciousness despite there being no overlap of our experience. I would be in the best position to know, and I don't even know that!

I'm saying you're being a doofus and, though I can't stop you if you're set on living with existential doubt, you are not a seperate consciousness from you five minutes ago except in wordplay.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

But then people are not the same consciousness through all of their lives.

Sure they are.

Can you ask yourself "Am I the same consciousness?" throughout your life at various points? Sure - that means you're the same consciousness caught in some dumb existential doubt and you need to find some real problems to ground yourself.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Again, the clone could do this, and would come to the same conclusion. But for the clone, according to you, the doubt wouldn't be dumb at all.

The clone's consciousness would still be continuous and it would still be the same person in five minutes.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Piell posted:

So let's say I kidnap you, clone you with all your memories, and let the clone live your life. Meanwhile, I torture the original for a hundred years, then shoot it in the head, killing it.. I am hoping you would not agree with this. What if I only torture you for 50 years? For 10? For 1? For one hour? For a single second? What if I just walk into your house, shoot the original you in the face, drag away the original's cooling corpse, and let your clone live your life?

Duh he wouldn't be dead in any meaningful way so it's w/e :smuggo:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

But if the only thing that matters is continuity of consciousness, and this is not interrupted by losing consciousness, then teleportation killing you is suddenly very sticky.

You're not just losing consciousness. You're dying and a copy of you is being created somewhere else.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Actually, I'm dying and being resurrected, because there's no difference in qualia between the two instances or any way for differences to emerge, unlike with the psychopathic hypotheticals.

Except that the consciousness of one (you) has been permanently snuffed and a new consciousness (youPrime) has started up. Your clone is not you.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

I mean, in the most literal sense every Blu Ray of The Force Awakens does contain a different movie. They're both instances of "The Force Awakens" but your Blu Ray disc is discrete from my Blu Ray disc. If someone destroyed yours with a hammer you probably wouldn't be content that somewhere, a Blue Ray disc with "The Force Awakens" on it survives and thus your disc is not really gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Peta posted:

I think people who say they would use the teleporter - but really people on both sides of this debate - should take a good look at Eric T. Olson's case for animalism ("An Argument for Animalism", "Précis of The Human Animal"). It maybe crystallizes the concerns of a lot of people who wouldn't want to use the teleporter but who deny a mind-body distinction and doubt the explanatory value of psychological continuity.

The basic premise is that humans are animals, i.e., one human is numerically identical with one animal.

The entailment is that identity over time has nothing to do with psychological continuity, qualia, consciousness, the self as some sort of a bare particular, the self as a bundle of traits, etc.

Instead, the persistence of my identity hinges on my persistence as an animal. I am a human. Therefore, I am an animal. Psychological continuity is neither necessary nor sufficient for animals to persist (survive): When a human is conceived, even when it's born, it lacks the properties of a person, and there's a decent chance that in the twilight of its life it won't have those properties either. A human can enter a vegetative state and emerge intact. Olson:
    "It also seems to follow from our being animals that we are only temporarily and contingently people. Or at least that is so if you have to have certain mental properties at a given time to count as a person at that time. If that's what it is to be a person, each human animal starts out as a nonperson and may end up as a nonperson." ("Précis of The Human Animal")
This is why it's perfectly coherent to say that (1) I am an animal/organism, (2) I am a person, and (3) persons are a category of animal.* I'm still baffled that the mutual compatibility of those claims needs to be explained at this level to some people in this thread, but there you have it.

* I said this badly. More precisely: Some animals are persons, or able to be persons, but being a person doesn't seem to depend on being an animal (think gods, angels, highly advanced AI).

Pretty interesting read, imo.

• Locked thread