Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

pigdog posted:

I'm currently playing Bloodborne (great game) and it certainly dips the framerate to 30ies if not lower at times - is DS3 comparable?
It's a bit better than Bloodborne. The place you really feel the FPS hits on DS3/PS4 is when you have multiple phantoms and someone starts using magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm on my victory lap of the game and summoning for literally every boss and I still find it very satisfying. It's fun sharing victories with others, especially when they're your own.

I solo'ed everyone on my first playthrough but honestly there's some that I'll probably never do again (like Nameless King).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The gank squads in this game are absolutely retarded. Trying to invade in Crucifixion Woods. I love when I walk into a game with a seed already active and the host and two phantoms just sitting at the bonfire at the start of the zone spamming spells at anyone trying to walk up to them. Man you sure owned me when I just black crystal out of this dumb bullshit and invade someone else.

e: On a more positive note though, every time I get invaded while trying to invade someone else (or vice-versa) it's always been an honorable duel and that's kinda cool.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The Blue Sentinels covenant worked in DS2 because everyone could be invaded regardless of if they were hollow or not and even then if you had trouble being summoned you could use blue eye orbs to invade sinners to rank up. The current stripped-down Blue Sentinels seems out of place in a game where invasions are easily dodged.

I think outside of purpals the covenant design in DS3 is inferior to DS2 (Really? Two location-based invasion covenants? That is laaaaazzyyy!).

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Deified Data posted:

There's an elevator off of the chapel area with the two knights and the large altar.

Though realistically the boss should only take you one attempt.

Well poo poo, my phantom bros led me astray. Also didn't know the boss had a buildup towards instant-death curse fog.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

YancyQ posted:

The Blue Sentinels covenant worked in DS2 because everyone could be invaded regardless of if they were hollow or not and even then if you had trouble being summoned you could use blue eye orbs to invade sinners to rank up. The current stripped-down Blue Sentinels seems out of place in a game where invasions are easily dodged.

I think outside of purpals the covenant design in DS3 is inferior to DS2 (Really? Two location-based invasion covenants? That is laaaaazzyyy!).

I agree. I also miss more chatty covenant leaders. Why is both watchdogs and aldrich both basically statues and Sunbro's litterally is. I know Rosaria is too, but at least you got Leonard there.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Rough Lobster posted:

WOTG does physical damage, and a poo poo ton of it. And it hits through walls and the like so I'm fairly confident it'll dust Lothric easily.

well I learned something today :downs:

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Atreiden posted:

I agree. I also miss more chatty covenant leaders. Why is both watchdogs and aldrich both basically statues and Sunbro's litterally is. I know Rosaria is too, but at least you got Leonard there.

I was a little disappointed all the vendors/npcs you collect rarely change what they say throughout the game.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HaB posted:

Best was one I summoned after pontiff. Helped me clear everything out and we fought off two RedBros together. We go down to the Aldritch Covenant area, aggro one of the doggators and PurpleBro was ahead of me going up the ladder. Right as I was about to plunge attack off - he kicked me off. :v:

Hilarious and awesome. Perfect PurpleBro. "hey friend! we've been buddies for the last 20 minutes! you can trust me! ..... *kick* lol later, shitlord!"

I was being summoned into fight clubs in the Settlement and I have no patience with fight clubs (I also think the hosts are kind of weird when they don't fight, unless it's something you're pre-arranged with people - summoning strangers to fight for your amusement?), so normally attack the host first chance I get. Usually this leads to everyone turning on me. This time the red and the purple who were dueling when I started my attack run realised what was up, decided that they'd both rather have their covenant item than the e-honour and helped me finish off the host.

I just like the way that the invasion progresses moment to moment when you're purple; with the other covenants it's obvious how it's going to go.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BitterAvatar posted:

Well poo poo, my phantom bros led me astray. Also didn't know the boss had a buildup towards instant-death curse fog.

lol yeah they got me on my first try, too. I thought I had plenty of breathing room so I died to literally their only dangerous attack.

YancyQ posted:

Generally I agree, but Sentinels didn't work in DS2 either because it expected hosts to waste a ring slot on a covenant ring. Both the host and the phantom.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 11, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Harrow posted:

FromSoftware, especially when Miyazaki directs, seems to think about these games differently than the players do.

The example I like to give is how Nintendo pushes time mode in Smash when it seems like everyone would rather play stock. They either don't know or don't care that players prefer a different game mode and keep advancing the other one as the default.

When it comes to Souls/borne, Miyazaki's way of doing things seems tailor-made for imperfect playthroughs. You can't respec in Bloodborne, for example, and one of the coolest weapons is gated behind deep Chalice Dungeon progression. It's not designed for you to do a Beast Claw run--it's designed for you to find that weapon later and use it for a while. The games are totally doable with imperfect or even kinda crappy builds, so Miyazaki probably doesn't fully understand why people want to change their stat allocation in the first place. That you can do it at all in DS3 is probably a compromise because you could in DS2 and it would've been lovely if you couldn't. That ties into how easy it is to mess up NPC quests, or how the games just insist on not letting you host online in an area where you've killed the boss, all those sorts of things.

This isn't intended as a defense of that design philosophy, it's just sort of how I rationalize it.

To summarize, Dark Souls was never intended to be min maxers pvp paradise. You were just meant to make choices and live with them. The games are very flexible so you won't ever get stuck.

Similarly, FFXII (yes, an odd comparison) was originally meant to be this sort of game where players would just have to choose what to specialize and instead of grinding for loot, they just expected you to be happy when you randomly stumble upon something cool.

I think Souls is designed with this in mind. They don't expect you to grind for gear. You just go along and see what drops this time and build your character accordingly.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHO5KjtWQ7I

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RyokoTK posted:

The gank squads in this game are absolutely retarded. Trying to invade in Crucifixion Woods. I love when I walk into a game with a seed already active and the host and two phantoms just sitting at the bonfire at the start of the zone spamming spells at anyone trying to walk up to them. Man you sure owned me when I just black crystal out of this dumb bullshit and invade someone else.

Yeah, if I invade and the guy has a summon or two helping him through the area, fine, whatever, I'm the invading jerk so 3-on-1 is what it is. But when they're just all standing at the bonfire (and if you kill a phantom, he immediately gets resummoned) it's just ridiculous. Last night I warped in to a 3-on-1 at a bonfire, then a Watchdog invaded (I was Moundmaker) so I thought I'd try teaming with the Watchdog and go 3v2... only to find him standing with the host and his 2 phantoms, not attacking them. He was just extra support against purples I guess. He killed me when I tried to black crystal out.

I will say that I love how mad people get when you start to black crystal out after you recognize the gank you've warped in to.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Salean posted:

I was a little disappointed all the vendors/npcs you collect rarely change what they say throughout the game.

yeah, I wish more of them had reactions to you advancing the story, like new dialogue when you kill one of the lords. At least have Ludleth, Emma and the fire keeper react to that, since they are the ones who want you to go link the fire. Al so Grairat should have a reaction to Patches showing up.

WaltherFeng posted:

To summarize, Dark Souls was never intended to be min maxers pvp paradise. You were just meant to make choices and live with them. The games are very flexible so you won't ever get stuck.

Similarly, FFXII (yes, an odd comparison) was originally meant to be this sort of game where players would just have to choose what to specialize and instead of grinding for loot, they just expected you to be happy when you randomly stumble upon something cool.

I think Souls is designed with this in mind. They don't expect you to grind for gear. You just go along and see what drops this time and build your character accordingly.

I think you are right. But it's mind boggling if they still haven't realised that that have never been true for their player-base.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 11, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've never black crystal'ed out of an invasion before - I always had a superstitious dread that it would put me on some sort of co-op/pvp black list since the item tells you not to use it carelessly. Like I've been playing for years and only recently realized that it does nothing. I should crystal out of obvious ganks more often.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Atreiden posted:

I think you are right. But it's mind boggling if they still haven't realised that that have never been true for their player-base.

I mean, Nintendo still hasn't quite realized that the majority of players, especially competitive players, prefer Stock to Timed mode in Smash Bros., and that's a much smaller and more binary thing. I'm not too surprised that FromSoft sticks to this design philosophy, especially when a lot of players just seem to adapt.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Atreiden posted:

For a whole lot of their players, it actually is true. It's not true for us tryhards who post online about video games and (most)people who make youtube videos about video games. But lots of Dark Souls players are just kinda wandering through the game like that.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That Dark Souls comic is bad. Why does Fira have boobplate?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WaltherFeng posted:

Players have been farming items and minmaxing since DeS, in fact there was a huge amount of farming required to get all the trophies if I remember correctly. They have to expect people to grind for gear because that's what players have been doing since the beginning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

For a whole lot of their players, it actually is true. It's not true for us tryhards who post online about video games and (most)people who make youtube videos about video games. But lots of Dark Souls players are just kinda wandering through the game like that.

Yeah, that's also true.

I think diehards who post on forums and Reddit about these games forget that, well, you're kind of supposed to stumble through, from mystery to mystery, never quite understanding the NPCs or finding everything, or making a perfect character build. That's just not the point. NPC quests are for completionists--and, to be fair, are still too fiddly for that intention, but that's a different point--as are endless respecs for PvP builds, that kind of thing. And sure, some things just don't work right (auto-summon covenants for many players) but that's also a separate issue.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

applause

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

probably true. On the other hand, they tie achievements to grinding, so they sort of know there is a part of their player-base who does grind for specific gear etc.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Atreiden posted:

yeah, I wish more of them had reactions to you advancing the story, like new dialogue when you kill one of the lords. At least have Ludleth, Emma and the fire keeper react to that, since they are the ones who want you to go link the fire. Al so Grairat should have a reaction to Patches showing up.

I dunno. I'm not entirely certain WE are their playerbase, or at least not the majority of it. I have maybe 2 other friends who play Souls games, and they are SUPER casual about it, and they DO play pretty much like "ooh! a cool thing! I will use this cool thing until I find a cooler thing!" They don't min/max, they don't plan out builds in advance, and they definitely don't set up characters specifically for PvP.

Seems kinda like we are the diehard, super serious players who actually CARE about squeezing every bit of efficiency out of a character, and are always trying to improve skills at creating builds, or trying different weapon upgrades or finding out how a covenant works, or simply just playing the game.

The grand irony is that we all sit here and gripe about how From did this wrong or right and should have done this, but I'd guess 90% of our complaints likely will only ever affect 10% of the players, and it's not like From isn't doing something right, since the series is a "hit" by nearly any measure of the term.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pigdog posted:

I'm currently playing Bloodborne (great game) and it certainly dips the framerate to 30ies if not lower at times - is DS3 comparable?

Bloodborne maxes out at 30

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I just noticed that the sun on Solaire's armor has evil eyes and is looking at the woman. The artist was hellbent on making Solaire look badass.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

imagine if dark souls was released before the age of the internet, and people passed around rumors and tips and nobody had any idea about optimal builds or certain shortcuts.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's also true.

I think diehards who post on forums and Reddit about these games forget that, well, you're kind of supposed to stumble through, from mystery to mystery, never quite understanding the NPCs or finding everything, or making a perfect character build. That's just not the point. NPC quests are for completionists--and, to be fair, are still too fiddly for that intention, but that's a different point--as are endless respecs for PvP builds, that kind of thing. And sure, some things just don't work right (auto-summon covenants for many players) but that's also a separate issue.

I've found that going into my first playthrough about 99% blind I was able to recapture that feeling somewhat. It was aggravating not knowing where the coal I needed for such and such infusion was or what enemies dropped cool weapons or where the perfect set of armor for my character concept was, but it was satisfying stumbling across tings that "just worked" instead of wiki-ing my way through the game.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

SciFiDownBeat posted:

imagine if dark souls was released before the age of the internet, and people passed around rumors and tips and nobody had any idea about optimal builds or certain shortcuts.

This would be amazing.

"No really, there's a ghost wall past the pope guy with TWO of those giant zombie dogs!"

"You liar! I had to run from just one of them, no one can beat two."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Well it already existed and was called King's Field.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 11, 2016

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Melanion posted:

This would be amazing.

"No really, there's a ghost wall past the pope guy with TWO of those giant zombie dogs!"

"You liar! I had to run from just one of them, no one can beat two."

My uncle, who works for Playstation, told me there's a code to get infinite estuses.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, if I invade and the guy has a summon or two helping him through the area, fine, whatever, I'm the invading jerk so 3-on-1 is what it is. But when they're just all standing at the bonfire (and if you kill a phantom, he immediately gets resummoned) it's just ridiculous. Last night I warped in to a 3-on-1 at a bonfire, then a Watchdog invaded (I was Moundmaker) so I thought I'd try teaming with the Watchdog and go 3v2... only to find him standing with the host and his 2 phantoms, not attacking them. He was just extra support against purples I guess. He killed me when I tried to black crystal out.

I will say that I love how mad people get when you start to black crystal out after you recognize the gank you've warped in to.

I just don't get why people even do it. These nimrods are wasting so much more of their time than they are of mine, and for what? It's not like they're culling invaders from the pool or anything since I can just invade again.

And it's not like they're discouraging invaders or protecting people since really, in this game, you really only get invaded if you want to be. The giant gently caress-around melees are so much fun when everyone is participating.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If I'm trying to avoid heading to Irithyll Dungeon before I beat the Pontiff, is there anything I need to look out for and not head towards? Right now I think I've cleared every boss available, rescued Siegward, haven't met him in Irithyll yet, and haven't sent Greirat out to plunder it yet. My thinking was to find the Pontiff, send Greirat out, and then kill the Pontiff and have Siegward rescue him basically asap. That should keep him alive, right?

e: Also just got invaded by a red phantom who decided to black crystal out after he ran out of estus. I figure I have to be one of his few 1v1 invasions, and you can't risk losing enough to stick it out for the rest of the fight? I was right next to the bonfire and opted not to summon just for you, too. :(

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Castor Poe posted:

My uncle, who works for Playstation, told me there's a code to get infinite estuses.

If you get the colorless soul, you can resurrect Greirat after Xx-Sephiroth420-xX stabs him.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Ravenfood posted:

If I'm trying to avoid heading to Irithyll Dungeon before I beat the Pontiff, is there anything I need to look out for and not head towards? Right now I think I've cleared every boss available, rescued Siegward, haven't met him in Irithyll yet, and haven't sent Greirat out to plunder it yet. My thinking was to find the Pontiff, send Greirat out, and then kill the Pontiff and have Siegward rescue him basically asap. That should keep him alive, right?

e: Also just got invaded by a red phantom who decided to black crystal out after he ran out of estus. I figure I have to be one of his few 1v1 invasions, and you can't risk losing enough to stick it out for the rest of the fight? I was right next to the bonfire and opted not to summon just for you, too. :(

That order should work, as long as you kill a boss while greirat is out before talking to siegward. You could've also just done it with killing the old demon boss or whatever in smouldering lake too

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Ravenfood posted:

Do you have the Distant Manor bonfire? Go no further past that. You can't help but meet Sieg on the way to Pontiff if you're caught up on his quest, so no worries there. Best bet is to use the aforementioned bonfire, go talk to Siegward, and run up and kill pontiff. Just don't forget to open the shortcut near pontiff in case you don't get him first time.

plehsistential posted:

That order should work, as long as you kill a boss while greirat is out before talking to siegward. You could've also just done it with killing the old demon boss or whatever in smouldering lake too

I spoke to Siegward in the kitchen, then sent Greirat out and killed Pontiff immediately after. I think as long as Sieg is still in Irithyll he'll do his rescuing.

e: Now I think about it, I don't believe I spoke to Siegward -after- sending Greirat out, only before. Dunno whether that's important.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 11, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Melanion posted:

Do you have the Distant Manor bonfire? Go no further past that. You can't help but meet Sieg on the way to Pontiff if you're caught up on his quest, so no worries there. Best bet is to use the aforementioned bonfire, go talk to Siegward, and run up and kill pontiff. Just don't forget to open the shortcut near pontiff in case you don't get him first time.
Perfect, this is what I was looking for. I know I can't go into the Dungeons or Sieg won't save him, but...I don't actually know where the Dungeons start.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yardbomb posted:

Of all the things possible, cheating the name character limit is what I keep considering turning on CE for.

But then I remember that knowing my luck, I'd get banned for making a silly name while dudes are still noclipping around and editing their stats.

No such luck.

Of all the things they actually changed, this is one of them.

Only 16 characters to a name, in the first version of the game (as in before patches) you go over your name is blank. They patched it so it's just cut at 16. Yes, they devoted some kind of patching time to this.

There is also no good way to bypass the filter since the various Unicode no-space characters give an error symbol. The font is super limited compared to DS2, which had a much wider variety of available characters.

Similarly, you can't pull a DS1 and widen the hair color options, since they actually made it a byte instead of a float that could be changed beyond its normal limit. Unless I have lost my mind, they changed it so that the game stores each hair value as a byte and converts it on the fly to a float, instead of just doing the conversion once and storing the float like in DS1. There is absolutely no reason to do this, except to block the very harmless DS1 glowing hair hack.

The Priorities of From Software, Vol. III

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 11, 2016

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

The Berzerker posted:

the PVP in this game is definitely the worst of all the Dark Souls games, pretty tired of warping in to find a host with two pals plus a Watchdog of Farron who is also his friend and only attacks purples

You must troll. This is key. It's pretty much the only way to have PVP fun...I get more fun out of watching people pantsshitting wondering where I am than I get from fighting them. I mean, there's no motivation to actually fight. Even when you win, the rewards are next to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

So uh. Why do lothric Knights do more damage than bosses again?

You know how when lothric knights two hand their weapons, it basically tells your shield to get hosed and stagger you?

You can do that to them, with your stance art weapons. (AKA: 90% of straight swords). Though you usually only get the stagger for a free riposte if you guard break them, (Maybe I'm just unlucky, but when I use it whenever, half the time they don't stagger)

It's much better to get used to fighting them in general, but it's great time saver when you get the chance. Just keep in mind, some enemies with shields are much more aggressive about dropping their guard and trade hitting you.

Lothric knights specifically, also share the same weakness as players. Nonexistent poise. If you hit them with most weapons, you'll knock them out of their attack unless it's got hyper armor at the moment.

Finally, Try Parrying :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 11, 2016