Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

homeless poster posted:

it kind of makes sense to me that ocieros has the untended graves attached to the back of his workshop, if you think about the fact that the twin princes are his sons and at least at one point he probably had some kind of plans or schemes set up involving them. clearly the twin princes have already become a lord of cinder, so they're capable of linking the fire, even if they no longer desire to do so; maybe at one point ocieros had a scheme where his sons would become a lord of cinder and he knew about the idea of unkindled ones from all of his magical research, so he purposely built his laboratory on top of the actual graves from which the unkindled would be summoned to prevent them from meddling with whatever he would have planned for his sons to do with their lord of cinder status.

obviously at the point in the world where the player comes in, the twin princes have decided "gently caress that noise" and aren't going along with any more plans from their crazy dragon dad, but I could see that being the basis of why the untended graves are just hanging out behind ocieros' chamber. he would have wanted to be in complete control of any wayward undead heroes that would come wandering out of the untended graves so that they couldn't gently caress with whatever great plans he had for his sons.

Is it explicitly said that Oceiros is the twin princes' dad? I had the impression he was an old wackjob from a few kingships ago that was still locked in his garden. But it's been a while since I combed the item descriptions of the back half of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

MarshyMcFly posted:

Now Entering.... The Doors......*Break on Through starts playing*

you know the drake destroys the knight
fire divides the gray
try to run, bridge, can't hide
burned to death 'fore the other side

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Loopoo posted:

"Oh no! I died and lost 6000 souls, I worked so hard for that! What will I do now?!"
"Lad, you fear death too much. Embrace it, it's your calling. Life is meaningless and we are but sheep to the slaughter. Die enough and you'll soon learn you're made of tougher stuff. A wolf in sheep's clothing."
"Jesus loving Christ, man, what kind of horrors have you seen?"

typical encounter I imagine going down

honestly that's basically the plot to all the souls games

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

argondamn posted:

The gutter is amazing.

I haven't watched the dude's opinions yet but black gulch is amazing also. "but there are so many fuckin' statues" well it's short dude you can just run through it "it's such a short level" that's why there are so many fuckin' statues! and I still maintain Pharros is in the Rotten somewhere

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I don't remember a single other song from any of the Soulsborne games, but those opening three notes... every time. Rest of DS3 could've been 12 hours of a static image of Miyazaki flipping off the player while farts play in the background and it would still be worth it for the Soul of Cinder's second phase.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

do other japanese companies do patch notes like this

-changed things
-changed other thing
-hello

yes and it's loving infuriating

played FF11 for too many years and every set of patch notes was "adjusted X, adjusted Y, adjusted Z" and pretty much nothing else

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RanKizama posted:

I'm currently in the Undead Settlement with my Sorcerer and have been making slow but steady progress with a consistent baiting technique. Am I doing this right? I'm not dying much, but holy poo poo does it feel like I'm making slow advancements.

If you're not dying much and you're progressing, it's cool. Sorcery can be a rocky start.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Huh, apparently the dark firelink shrine is the same place as the regular firelink shrine. Apparently the game treats both places as the same area. Any messages left in the dark shrine will show up in the regular and vice versa. The silver serpent ring chest is also already opened when you get to the dark shrine if you opened it in the regular shrine. I think I'll try opening that chest in the dark shrine on my next run just to test out what happens.

If you don't open that chest in regular Firelink, you can get it in Untended Graves. I can confirm this, I did it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sellsword Twinblades all day errday

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

EC posted:

I'm like 85% positive this worked in DS1. I remember timing a WOG to bounce back someone's MLGS laser at some point.

I drink a lot Gough so my memory isn't super reliable

maybe you did it on purpose but I love the idea that you play so much dark souls that your phone has "Gough" in its autocorrect dictionary

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mortons stork posted:

Whoa wait a minute this flew completely over my head. Mind elaborating a little?

Also, with all the great use of choirs in the soundtrack, has anyone figured if they're resorting to the usual fake rythmic gibberish or is it in a real language? Just curiosity.

The Path of the Dragon stuff is all about meditating on how super cool dragons are. It's bright and sunny in Archdragon Peak, unlike everywhere else. Also if you attack the bodies by where you have to do the emote, they bleed. There's probably more.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gologle posted:

How did Gwyn's son get there then? Is the place maintained by his presence? How did Ornstein get there? If it's a dream, why do you die and respawn at the bonfire instead of getting kicked out? Why are there hostile enemies in this dream? Why are there dead dragons in a dream about cool dragons? Why do you clearly see Archdragon Peak at various locations in the rest of the game world?

The place is still there, but it's just a frozen ruin on some lovely mountains, and you visit an idealized dream version of it. That's the theory, anyway.

Really, though, the series tells you over and over that space fuckery and timey-wimey bullshit is the order of the day. The fire is fading, it brought with it the concept of disparity, the world was "formless" before it, and Emma describes the lands as "churning" and "converging." The concept of going to a specific place at a specific time using a preplanned route is obsolete in Dark Souls' very slow version of the apocalypse. Like how far-off places are always "north" in these games.

Jaaam posted:

I have a theory that all the mountains surrounding Lothric are piles of super old decomposed dragon corpses. Pretty much just because I think it's kinda cool, and that huge dragon corpse off in the distance at AP kinda looks like it's merging into/becoming a mountain. Besides, the Dark Souls universe doesn't seem like the kind of place that has plate tectonics. :shrug:

I like this.

MrLonghair posted:

The answer is that the world is breaking apart at the seams and poo poo is crazy like that. What happens after the thrones get filled is the real world (specifically what you turn it into with what you did by putting them on their thrones), had it been an ordinary on-rails no going back game that would have been it for your progress, where it all ends and you hopefully choose the righteous awesome ending that snuffs the flame and puts an end to it for good on that planet.

I like to think that Dark Souls doesn't take place on a planet. Like, a layered cosmos with the firmament below, the world extending on an infinite plane, the heavens above. This layering concept is repeated in Bloodborne, which obviously takes place during the coming age of the deep that Aldrich foresaw, and furthermore

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BitterAvatar posted:

What weapon should I be gunning for as a pyro?

Currently using a flame broad sword since carthus flame arc doesn't add much damage. I have the sage's crystal rapier which scales with INT but I don't have the stats in STR/DEX to use it.

Currently at Catacombs of Carthus and Cathedral of the Deep.

Getcher self a nice, raw rear end

(astora straight sword in the High Wall, that side room with an Estus Shard on an anvil and the Silver Eagle Kite Shield in a chest on an upper walkway, drop down to another part of the walkway and it's in a chest)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

I'd been wondering why the gently caress the Abyss Watchers built their castle on top of a cool skeleton hangout but then it struck me, oh crap they're watching over the Abyss and what's at the bottom of the catacombs (besides Smoldering Lake I guess)? Wolnir and his slip slide to the Abyss. And the Smoldering Lake. And a convenient unguarded backdoor to Illythril I guess, because gently caress those people from Illythril?

At some point the geography gets all hosed up, and various lands with Lords of Cinder in them start churning'n'converging on Lothric, so it's only a short trip once they climb out of their graves to link the First Flame. It would make sense the Abyss Watchers hung out over Wolnir's kingdom, but it's just as probable that Carthus was some other place entirely that just ended up under them however the hell the spacetime bullshit handwaving works out. Almost certainly that's why the Catacombs connect to Irithyll.

Although gently caress the people from Irithyll, Sulyvahn's a prick

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Something unrelated I realized when going over some Spells is that there's an explanation for the back-in-time dark shrine in the game. Light is literally Time. Reversing Time means reversing Light - turning something utterly lightless turns back time. Although as with every lore thing that depends on a single item description, you gotta wonder how much of that is actually there or just exists in the english translation.

What spells are you referencing here? Repair?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

When the fire is linked, is the world reset to the beginning and full glory of the age of fire? Or, is the world only partially reset where things are still crumbling into ruin but at least poo poo isn't all hollow?

Are diminishing returns a thing when linking the flame?

Diminishing returns. The first linking, when the DS1 player character brings five great souls to the Kiln (the 4 lord souls you collect plus your own), makes the flame roar back into life and fill at least the whole of Gwyn's arena, if not larger. Compare to DS3, where the player character stuffed with five great souls barely smolders.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nonexistence posted:

IIRC you can see both ash lake and lost izalith from tomb of the giants so it's not crazy the chocolate would get in the peanut butter.

You can see the Demon Ruins from the tomb, which is right next to Izalith (the enormous dome on the left as you first enter the ruins covers Izalith). The bit of Ash Lake you can see from the tomb isn't the actual Ash Lake zone - the direction is all wrong - but it's easy enough to handwave as just a separate part of the lake that you can't see from the Siegmeyer/Hydra/Ancient Dragon bit.

Yeah, it makes sense. Lands churning and converging and all.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Your Computer posted:

If you buy into the theory that the entire "pilgrimage" of the "Chosen" undead in the first game is basically grooming, it would make sense for the illusion of Gwynevere to be as huge and majestic as possible I guess :v:

Is it really a theory? As I recall it's the most explicit twist in the game. Like how Frampt tells you that fate has chosen you to go through Sen's... but be careful, because tons of hapless undead suckers brave adventurers have gone there and never come back. Or how if you actually pull off retrieving the Lordvessel he freaks out, because holy poo poo, it finally worked

Nuebot posted:

I, too, think Velka was Gwyn's wife and the mother of his children. Or at least some of his kids. Hera was often at odds with zeus in greek mythology if I'm remembering correctly too. And, personally speaking, given the connections linking Velka's pardoner and the crow imagery of the painted world where Priscilla lives I think it's more likely she would be one of Velka's kids. Which would mean Gwyn's first born, possibly from Velka, and wife both betrayed him to go gently caress around with dragons. Gwyndolin's lower half is also made of snakes, which are considered lesser serpents and incomplete dragons or something. I can't remember which item says that.

I dunno about Velka and Gwyn shacking up, but the snakes thing is from the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, for example in DS1: "The serpent is an imperfect dragon and symbol of the Undead. Its habit of devouring prey even larger than itself has led to an association with gluttony."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Co-op is a great source of embers and you can help others as long as you want. Doesn't matter if you've killed a given boss in your own world.

If you don't realize this yet, invaders are preferentially assigned to players who have co-op phantoms summoned. It's supposed to be the trade-off. The thing is that invaders are kind of a self-selecting group - like, you won't do much invading while just bumbling through the game the first time. If someone's a-going invading they'll probably have beaten it already, understand the game's systems pretty well, maybe even have planned out their character specifically to prey upon people just starting out in the High Wall. So yeah, they'll only have minimal numerical advantage, but they're looking for a fight and you aren't, it's not surprising if you died a few times.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dark souls 3 lacks DS2's superior "This one's me" gesture and thus is a bad game for dumb idiots

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Ask Lake is very definitely a physical place at the bottom of the world. You can see it from the Tomb of the Giants too.

Yeah Ash Lake isn't metaphysical. The game plays loose with the actual distance - you'd have to descend a lot further through the Great Hollow/Tomb of the Giants for the Ash Lake/pre-Nito skyboxes to fit - but they're really there. A few item descriptions, mostly the wooden shields with good magic defense, mention the "stone archtrees" that show up in the opening cutscene, where Gwyn &co. kill all the dragons. Lordran is literally built upon and carved out of the canopy of a giant forest of stone archtrees. It makes a few things fit neatly, too - like, Anor Londo sits up on that high cliff because it's on top of the tallest tree, and moreover that cliff is green, it's stone foliage. The impossible architecture everywhere, even for shitholes like the Undead Burg, makes more sense when people can just carve themselves a home. The big chasms like the Valley of Drakes are gaps in between the crowns of separate archtrees.

What's not clear to me is whether the entire world is covered in an archtree forest, or indeed what the shape of the world is in general. But maybe I'm thinking about it too hard.

There's an undercurrent of stone-based life that I don't really get. Archtrees, dragons have stone scales (except for Seath, what a bitch). There's an interview I can't be bothered to find where Miyazaki calls the Gaping Dragon a mineral-based creature.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dark souls 2 is the worst soulsborne game, but that's like picking out the worst harlem globetrotter. ds2 at its worst, fighting fire salamanders that spin like tops or infinite-stamina mace-wielding drakekeeper knights, is still better than 95% of games. thank you for your understanding in this matter

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

THE IRON KEEP ELEVATOR

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Your Computer posted:

The "B" in "B-Team" stands for "BTHE IRON KEEP ELEVATOR" :argh:

SCOT SMAGOO BT-EAM :argh:

in all seriousness, I still figure that the original plan was the player would ride a cage-on-a-zipline down from the top of earthen peak to the iron keep caldera just over the mountains. you can see them from harvest valley plain as day. presumably another casualty of the dev team restarting a lot of their work or whatever it was. I would really like a great big dark souls 2 development tell-all, that would be really interesting.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bogart posted:

No bro.....,it's Gwyn......, don't you get it? Bevause of everything being a changing cycle slowly eating its own tail, everything must reference DS1.....,.,,,

I got goosebumps when I first got to the second phase and heard those three chords and I will not apologize to you or any other

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lessavini posted:

I am two handing my Estoc and it's still getting deflected by Lothric Knights shields. This doesn't happen with my Darkdrift katana. That's why I think it's not a binary case of "two-handing = not deflected" but some actual formula factoring stability, type of shield, one/two-handing, etc.

Yes, there is an arcane hidden formula. Or, well, there was in DS1, I can only assume it's the same here. Heavier weapons are less prone to bouncing off shields, based off the shield's stability, whether you're two-handing or not, and the specific move used.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

also, how do i aim at this dragon? it locks on to his head, which moves a lot

unlock and just wreck the poo poo out of his toes

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"up to 6 players with dedicated servers" :thunk:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vermain posted:

DS2, out of all the three Dark Souls games, is the game that knew how to have fun with itself the most. None of the other games have anyone even half as amusing as Maldron.

Maldron will forever be the best, but he’s got competition. I forget his name - Holy Knight Aurheim or something? - in Ivory King, who invades, immediately chameleons into a box, and backstabs you when you open a chest. Fell for that one hard.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Maleh-Vor posted:

Turns out the game was very different during testing. I can't wait to see where a bunch of this goes, and a lot of what they mention makes a lot of sense, especially the huge area in Smoldering Lake being a puzzle boss battle arena, Kaathe being involved in the Twin Princes fight, and so on.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ery-differently

oh my loving god the video of oceiros with ocelotte should not be this funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prownnvrwdo
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DEAD BABY INTO THE GROUND. ITS OCELOTTE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY DEAD BABY, OCELOTTE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO INFANT OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED THEIR OWN SPECIAL CHILD OF DRAGONS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY GARDEN AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY GARDEN CAN STILL BE IMMATURE PUS-SNAEKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MAGIC AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY hosed UP GARDEN LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING AT THE ASHEN ONE. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

skasion posted:

Surely the people in his garden should be ignorant slaves.

aw dammit

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh neat, I watched this for the first time a few days ago

wish I could've been a fly on the wall for the meetings they must've had. discussions about exactly how gross the sound effects of an immortal infant getting squished repeatedly should be

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yeah I will also defend isshin. there's no friede-style seven million attacks in a row bullshit - okay, well, let me rephrase. isshin does do like seven attacks in a row, but sekiro gives you the tools to actually participate in the process, viz. the parrying system, instead of having to back off and watch the nonsense like you do with blackflame friede. consequently, if you know isshin inside and out you can straight up wreck him in a couple minutes without ever easing off the gas. even the best player can't do the same with friede.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

After the pointless first phase that you have to go through like a chore. Also he has three life bars.

Y'know, the actual worst parts of Friede.

okay, I can buy that having to chump genichiro every time gets old. but beyond gameplay, the thematic continuity is really strong, what with it being your third time fighting the guy, same place as the first time where he (presumably) chumped you in turn. it's a heck of a reminder of how you've gotten way better as a player when you can just wreck the guy repeatedly. it's me, i'm the sekiro apologist

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cavauro posted:

I like to play Dark Souls 3

you what?!?!?!? gently caress you you piece of poo poo god drat it mother fuckre

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

please enjoy my thesis on how the united states is the dark souls of policing
https://twitter.com/jeremoss/status/1266912803144830976

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I love it overall of course because dark souls at its worst is equal to 95% of games at their best, but my biggest beef with ds2 and claims of "copy-paste" (besides THE IRON KEEP ELEVATOR!!!!) is drangleic castle. it's almost entirely flat surfaces and textures inside and out. (lost bastille does this too but at least that's ostensibly a boring prison.) why is there a big honking room hanging on the side of the castle with literally nothing in it except a giant portrait of nashandra? I can accept that there's a room full of wall-mounted masks that shoot poison darts Just Because, but why is it otherwise entirely featureless and connected to nothing in particular? why is nashandra herself hanging out in what appears to be a throne room that's entirely exposed to the elements? obviously there's a certain suspension of disbelief in video game levels and I'm being a huge nerd etc. but if the level is clearly supposed to be a place where people once lived but doesn't even try to look it, it bothers the hell out of me

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Jumping is much better implemented than in DS1 or DS3. Actually feels like a jump can be aimed and timed and has a nice whoosh fx.

oh gently caress I forgot about this

ds2 let you bind jump to L3, why the gently caress did they remove that

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

feelix posted:

They didn't

oh, google tells me you're right and it is still in dark souls 3

seems I was remembering bloodborne, where it isn't, and I will remain mad on the internet about it

Fargin Icehole posted:

Gotta say as loving awesome as it was to approach Drangelic castle ( felt straight out of Castlevania) the interior was pretty lifeless and boring.

yeah, the rain effects are pretty good, but then you get in there and it's so flat

it's weird because I think a lot of stuff after it looks beautiful, like shrine of amana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

codo27 posted:

Yeah tell me that while I have giant dragon fatties swatting at me with curse rotted trees while I can only walk through knee deep sludge. Where the gently caress do you get the poo poo walking ring anyway?

ain't one in ds3. if you really want you can equip a dagger and use the quickstep weapon art to zoom around