Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

multijoe posted:

Yeah I'd got the idea the game was going for a buddhist thing with the repeated references endless desire without satisfaction, I just never really knew what the actual practical deal with the Throne was, but that makes a little more sense at least.

It's pretty easy to either miss or forget. The only indication of what she wants you to sit on the Throne for is three lines from the very last conversation you have with the Emerald Herald, so I can't blame people for being confused over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

Its kind of mind-boggling to me that a series with such an impact and that still has a pretty active playerbase for all three games can be so horribly mismanaged and neglected.

The multiplayer component has always been weirdly vestigial. It's arguably a defining trait of the Souls games as games, but FROM has never been willing to commit to anything more than a token implementation of the kinds of rigorous safeguards needed to ensure an enjoyable multiplayer experience.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm probably one of the most vociferous defenders of DS2 around here, but its PVP had a huge number of oversights. Hexes being unbelievably busted at launch, the Ice Rapier being way too strong, the hilarious months of the Monastery Scimitar having instant parry frames, Soul Memory being a mess pre-Agape Ring, systems like the Mirror Squire in a game without authoritative servers, the numerous methods of circumventing Soul Memory's intended purpose (everyone seems to forget about Simpleton's Spice), etc. Granted, I didn't find the PVP in any of the three games particularly well thought-out or implemented, but DS2 is no saint in this regard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

How's Sorcery of Fath builds in vanilla 3? I tried vanilla on my ps4 out of curiosity amd my bows sure hit like poo poo out of the box

Faith's a bit weird due to how Lightning Spears are most effective at melee range, which begs the question of why you're bothering to cast them versus simply thumping something with a weapon. Sorcery is perfectly serviceable and gets a couple of utility spells that can break the game over your knee, though you need to make a significant investment in ring slots to get the most out of it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

How do you do dancer early?

Kill Emma in the church. She'll drop the Basin of Vows, which you can then use to trigger the Dancer fight and enter certain parts of Lothric Castle early.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Moola posted:

innate FP regen is so good, I've been playing vanilla DS3 for a few weeks now and I still miss the FP regen from Cinders. It just feels right

I think it's the ideal option if there were a way to somehow keep healing Miracles from being infinite. One possibility I bounced around in my head was to make it so that they can never bring you above a % of your max HP (say, 40-50%). That would keep them in a niche where they're useful without overly breaking the Estus economy, as running around with only 50% of your max HP would put you in serious danger and still encourage you to use your Estus when possible to top yourself up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

well, yhorm took way too long and was super dull, aldrich went too fast. boy do i wish the storytelling in this game was a little better, because when i was teleported to do the basin thing, i thought i was still in aldrich's room and had to do that for the bonfire to drop. bye bye, a hundred thousand souls! had to look up on the wiki to have any idea what had happened.

The latter half of the game has some pretty clear hatchet marks and visible seams. I don't know how extensive Forgotten Capital was supposed to have been, but the pacing is bad enough to make me think they must've had to dramatically pare down the original plan.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only one of these games that I've been able to successfully input the Kick/Guard Break command consistently in is Dark Souls 2. It still should really be its own button.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Carthus Bloodring helped me alot in that fight, you're right to react rollbwhen you see them teleport and the extra iframes helps iron out some of the ambiguities with the attack direction and projectiles

yeah, it's probably worth using the bloodring if you're not interested in investing in getting beefier, at least for phase 1. the teleport stab is at, like, the average limit of human reaction time frame-wise, so the probability you're gonna get winged by it is high if you're not a 16 year old god gamer

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

having a giant flailing camera boss as the optional capstone to DS3 is morbidly fitting, but it's probably not worth powering through it at the end of the day, especially when you've got the memory of an actually extremely loving good fight (gael) fresh in your mind

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fandom was the real pus of man all along

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McKracken posted:

This is my first souls game since Demon's Souls. I've been using rolling like it's the dodge button in a Platinum type action game just assuming I'll have iframes if I time it right.

I know this is a tremendously dumb assumption but it's kinda worked pretty well so I've just gone with it... the Nameless King is making me think that was a bad habit to build.

Does rolling direction play a significant...role...in how the game calculates hitboxes?

not in any direct way; it's more just the timing of iframes vs. active frames, where rolling into a swing is generally preferred because it'll get you out of the hurtbox faster and thus make it less likely to clip you once your iframes finish. some bosses just have abnormally lingering hurtboxes for whatever reason

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McKracken posted:

Ok that makes sense. I've been primarily rolling forward into most humanoid bosses so I'm in attack range basically all the time and it worked great for every encounter...but I've died 20x in a row to Nameless King so clearly I need to figure something else out.

he has a lot of weird delayed swings that tend to catch people off guard, sort of like fume knight in DS2, so getting the roll direction right helps a lot

if you're not picky about victory conditions, the knights in the streets before the entrance to lothric castle drop a shield that has absurdly high lightning resist, so you can just farm one of those and trivialize him if that's your fancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Serephina posted:

Do any of the covenants have use in offline play? So far they all seem summoning-orientated.

you can farm their covenant items offline to get their rewards, but that's about it

quote:

That guy in town offering me a free levelup for zero souls. It's obviously a trap option, but how much of a trap?

there's a cost, but not one you can't recover from

quote:

What's a spoiler-light explanation of armour and poise in DS3? I know DS2 changed poise a lot, but now the stat page is also implying that physical def is only a % absorbed now instead of flat reductions - have I misunderstood and been wasting time swapping to two-handed vs 'armoured' dudes?

armor provides both Defense and Damage Absorption; Defense uses some hosed up algorithm to reduce damage initially, and then Damage Absorption reduces it by a further %. this makes armor very good in general, and it's very necessary to have something in every slot as it is, since you suffer a significant Defense penalty for not having a piece in a slot and will take a ton more damage

poise now only applies during the animation of certain attacks (generally referred to as "hyperarmor frames"), where your poise stat determines the value of an invisible poise meter that will prevent you from getting staggered while the bar remains and you're still in the hyperarmor frames. the short version is that it's only really useful if you're using large weapons and want to tank through poo poo, and is otherwise not very useful if you're using lighter weapons