Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RedTonic posted:

Dammit, this Watchdogs covenant issue is so frustrating. I started a new character who from SL 23 - 27 has only had 3 autosummons in two days of chilling in the woods and the poison swamp. Haven't infused any weapons, haven't reinforced any boss weapons. Highest reinforcement is +2 rapier and +2 broadsword.

The rumblings on Reddit are that certain people's games/connections are simply flat-out broken for autoinvades. There's people with identical SLs/weapon upgrades who are getting summoned at wildly varying rates. Whether this is a consequence of certain ports being blocked, some weird softban issue (re: the "getting banned due to moving items around in your item box offline" thing), or From Software not knowing what a computer is remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a cop posted:

Raw Astora Sword w/ the pyromancy that adds flame to weapons loving owns. I only need 10str/10dex and can put everything else into other stuff while still doing sick damage w/ a great move set.

It absolutely outclasses everything else for the majority of the early and even mid game, depending on how much you're investing into STR/DEX early.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

so can you just not parry soul of cinder?

He cannot be parried.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a cop posted:

Yeah I just killed YtG and it's still holding up great in both PvE and PvP. I never want to increase str/dex so I'll probably see how it works out even in the endgame. I feel like having great pyromancies balances out any losses I take from having low str/dex and missing out on those weps.

At +10 Raw, it's got 322 AR. It's a pretty decent-sized loss compared to fully investing in STR for the Dark Sword, but I imagine the bonus damage from Carthus Flame Arc and the overall damage from Pyromancy more than makes up for that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless poster posted:

were DS1/2 that much more forgiving in their boss design? it really feels like bosses in DS3 punish the poo poo out of a single mistake, to the point where missing a single dodge or block is good enough that you might as well just let them kill you and restart the whole fight.

Damage is a lot higher across the board, sometimes to outrageous degrees. The Pontiff Knight's ice slash was doing something like 400~ damage on my Knight, which is what you'd expect from getting hit by a goddamn Great Club R2 or something. Pontiff Sulyvahn took that same character to a small trickle of HP if I hosed up a single dodge during his flurry. The one saving grace is that they gave you way more healing from a single Estus sip than you'll likely need, especially with the Estus Ring, so I've managed to get through a lot of bosses like Aldrich by chugging once every time I hosed up a mechanic and took 2/3rds of my health in damage.

I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but I vastly preferred DS2's Estus system alongside Lifegems. They even had a perfect opportunity to replicate something like that here with the limited carrying capacity of items. Instead, I end up just doing an instant heal whenever I'm even remotely in danger or pulling out my Priest's Sacred Chime and taking a nap when I'm safe.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 21, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

On DkS3 stuff though, is it possible to get a Dark Sword drop off the one that drops the Red Orb? I kind of want to try a third character with it hearing all the talk about it. Since I've done a Quality and Dex build, might as well go for pure Str next.

The "best" area to farm them is by the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire (or Abyss Watchers if you've beaten them), as the Darkwraiths will usually get brought down to low HP (if not outright killed) during their fights with the Ghrus.

Tabletops posted:

i think pretty much everything i had outpaced a raw infusion since like level 30 or 40.

Raw rear end (thanks for the acronym, from software) is about the only raw weapon that really remains competitive later on in the game. If you just need a melee weapon as a Pyromancer/Sorcerer and are willing to spend the FP on damage buffs, it's still more than serviceable.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay, I haven't even actually beaten them yet, but is all the AW gear actually good, or am I going to blow a bunch of souls on it and realize that I made a terrible mistake?

It's decent. It has a single major deficiency (a weakness to slashing damage!), but it's otherwise a solid set. The "best" set in terms of weight/absorption that I've found is probably the Fallen Knight set in Crucifixion Woods, and it looks reasonably cool, too.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You can't make it. You have to go through the ruins and go around to the other side

You can make it, but the jump is so painstakingly precise that it's rarely worth it. The "real" way to get to it is by hitting the illusionary wall in the back corner of the Old King's Antechamber bonfire and traveling to it through that route.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I sure would like the darkmoons to work so I can get the +2 attunement ring right about now.

You think they would've learned from DS2 where the +2 Lingering Dragoncrest Ring required you to kill one thousand multiplayer red spirits to get, but who the gently caress knows.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless poster posted:

i feel like whatever internal math is used to figure out how much damage enemies deal to players got the decimal point moved one place to the right accidentally. it's the only thing i can think that explains why everything hits about as hard as vendrick/fume knight from the entirety of DS2. like, regular hollow enemies can 2-3 shot you with the same speed that end-game boss encounters would from the prior game in the series.

I suspect it's a confluence of several factors: the new damage absorption system, the Ember mechanic, this being the ostensible last game in the series, and the tired Dark Souls Is Hard marketing line that's somehow become a design manifesto.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Ugh, the second phase of Dragonslayer Armour is a pain. Make one wrong move and you're either down 90% of your health or just dead. Doesn't help he has one move he does from across the arena that can knock you what feels like a mile back and, in most cases, off the bridge you're on.

I did a lengthy sigh when I saw the sonic wave go straight through the fountain. My recommendation is to lure him next to the fog gate (on either side) and angle it so that the blast will knock you back into the wall at the worst. The timing's a bit finnicky on dodging through the wave, but it only took me about 4 tries to finish him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Carwash posted:

I think they actually just decided to make this game legit difficult. The random knights in the first area were harder to deal with then pretty much every boss in the base game of DS2.

As soon as you get the Silver Eagle Kite Shield (or if you're a Herald/Knight), you can strafe backstab them very, very reliably with 0 damage taken.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Carwash posted:

Bosses in DS2 had no way to combo you down. I did an entire run of DS2 without dying to any boss a single time. The bosses in DS2 literally can't punish estus drinking. So you could get hit, instantly drink, and never ever be in danger of dying The lothric knights (any many bosses/other random enemies in DS3) can actually combo you down though.

DS3 bosses are vastly easier than the majority of DS2's roster, because healing is instantaneous and the game burps out Shards and Bones like mad in its first half. I think the only boss that's taken more than 10 attempts was Sulyvahn, and that's because I was trying to be clever and pretend I was the King of Parry instead of strafe blocking and waiting for the one move he does that actually has recovery frames. I hosed up about every single mechanic on Aldrich (except dodging his little fireballs) and killed him on my second go because every time I was hit by a mechanic, I chugged once and was instantly back to full HP.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HnK416 posted:

Man, Old Demon King is just not a fun boss. I've had maybe one successful co-op attempt out of 5 so far

The camera on that boss is terrible. Legacy of Kain: Defiance had a better camera, and I don't say this lightly. The actual mechanics are a lot of fun, but Jesus Christ.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

DS2's gradual withering away was a nice compromise but it's trivial to be summoned and get embered.

If only. Maybe 1/3rd of my co-op attempts actually let me get through the fog gate, and whether the host actually wins or not is a crapshoot. Even on relatively "easy" bosses like Wolnir, you can get instantly smushed if you're not paying attention.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is High Lord Wolnir supposed to be really loving easy? Like, crazy easy.

If you don't understand the gimmick or get unlucky with what moves he uses, it can be a challenge. If he's polite, he's hands-down the game's easiest boss, including Iuedex Gundyr.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

deacons is the easiest boss.

Deacons is just annoying with how poo poo Poise is in this game. It's not hard once you get the basics down, but I hate getting continually hitstunned by dudes doing tiny pokes with their daggers or shooting little fireballs at me. Being able to roll into them only alleviates this a little.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Nah, he has a point. Aldrich is annoying as poo poo because his phase 1 is piss easy but his phase 2 pretty much came down to luck with that fire trail and arrow storm poo poo

The trick with Aldrich is simply to force him into phase 2 as fast as possible and divert 100% of your Estus away from Ashen, then pretend you're sort of trying to avoid stuff while mashing his tail when you can. He's a chug-and-hug sort of boss.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend me a weapon with a fun moveset? I'm building mage-heavy despite magic being kind of crap but I do have 18 strength and 20 Dexterity to play with. So I'll probably take whatever is recommended and throw a crystal or simple gem on it.

I admit a certain fondness for the Red-Hilted Halberd, especially since Perseverence is an overall useful weapon art. It's unfortunate that it's got very "eh" damage, because it's got the best of the halberd movesets and a weapon art that lets you make good use of them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Anyone got tips for Aldritch? I've thrown my summon sign down a few times now to learn his patterns, but when it's me in the hotseat all the fucker does is spam the arrow rain and scythe blasts. I've learned to run from the arrows and dodge the wave but he just switches back from one to the other so I can't close to get him down. When I'm phantoming I do fine unless the host is an idiot (note: they are frequently idiots but at least twice now I've taken him out myself while the host runs and hides). I'm using the Crest shield to reduce dark damage and the Ithryll SS for fast attacks along with the ring that increases your damage if you can get multiple hits in.

His tail is his major weakness. When he vanishes into the ground, go to the middle and then run to the direct opposite end of the room from him, then lure the arrow rain around the room so that you loop back around to him, and then slash at his tail until he dives. Equip whatever you have that gives you solid Magic and Fire resistance, as he does those damage types primarily.

Robo Reagan posted:

How high do you need to upgrade your flame/which pyromancies do you need to not do poo poo damage? Mine is at like +6 but it does poo poo damage. Though tbf I'm still using the basic fireball. Too souls starved from trying to keep my main stats up to scratch to up int or whatever it is you need for higher level fireballs.

Pyromancy scales off of a sum of INT and FTH, capping at 30/30. If you're not leveling up INT and FTH, it's going to do garbage damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Going near the Farron Keep entrance would usually get her to pop up for me, and I'd lure her to that island to fight so the giant crabs wouldn't interfere. She will also invade you in Farron Keep near the basilisks if you can't her to spawn in the woods.

The one place that I have always seen her consistently invade at is the corpse with the Knight Set.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steak Eater posted:

Is a Blessed Infusion justifiable on any weapon as a Herald with light Faith allotment?

The damage on Blessed weapons is pretty piss, unfortunately. I slap the one gem you get from Cathedral onto a Mace and use it to kill white eyed skeletons, but that's about it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

It honestly feels like vigor is a requirement in this game, which kinda sucks. With 40 vig, some endgame enemies could still hit me for half my bar, I know the solution is to Git Gud, but still.

I'd say 20 Vigor is about the minimum you can get away with comfortably, though this varies depending on your absorption.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Wearing the mimic head for boss fights sounds like hard-mode to me. Would be a fun NG+ trick.

You can just swap it before you obtain the souls, sort of like in DS2. The window to do so appears to be a lot more generous this time around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

All of the Pyromancy boss strategies on Fextralife right now can be summarized as, "Shoot Great Chaos Fire Orb at the boss and dodge his attacks. When he gets to 50% health, continue to shoot Great Chaos Fire Orb at the boss."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zerilan posted:

How good is pyromancy this time around? Considering trying a full pyromancy playthrough once I finish the story on my first character.

The very first boss is super weak to fire damage and the game breaks in half as soon as you get Great Chaos Fire Orb (which you can obtain pretty dang early if you know what you're doing).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

Has anyone tried a luck build yet with the hollow infusion or Anri's straight sword? On a scale of greatswords to offensive faith miracles, how bad is it?

The Hollow infusion sucks, from all accounts, and Anri's SS at 40 LCK is no better than a +10 Heavy Dark Sword at 40 STR. It's a gimmick build that doesn't do anything unique or special compared to a "normal" build.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

You know, I tried this, and it was disastrous. YMMV and all that, but I went from reliably getting past that part of the fight to getting wrecked if I fought without lock on. I spent the whole time trying to move the right stick around to keep up with him, and that meant I couldn't dodge. If he did his flying spell attack I literally couldn't track him well enough to see when to dodge. Is there some sort of camera or analog sensitivity setting I'm missing?

By contrast, if I locked on (to dudebro, not the dragon), and stayed right by the neck area all I had to do was dodge slam attack, hit, dodge fire, hit, repeat. Staying in the right spot meant I rarely had to deal with the camera whipping around when he takes off and it was easy as pie.

For what it's worth, the SL1 all bosses video I watched a little bit ago has him locking on for almost the entirety of the Storm phase. You can probably get away with it if you're playing with KB+M, but my time spent with controller has taught me that rotating the camera AND sprinting is a fool's errand.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

You can parry the Champ??? :psypop:

You can parry both of his incarnations (aside from second phase, obviously). I actually tried it on a new character tonight and it was surprisingly easy if you go for the broad swing. Definitely easier than trying to parry Pontiff, anyways.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Started my new pyromancer. Gonna take a bit to get used to not having an All:zero estus:ashen ratio.

Get one of the chimes the Hollows in the tutorial area drop. You'll immediately have the stats to use it and Gentle Prayer is an effective (if boring) method of keeping your HP up between fights without having to blow Estus.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Atreiden posted:

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

No, I agree with you, although it's only slight favoritism. Both games are fun in their own way, but the linearity of DS3 and its heavy reliance on nostalgia and references to the glory days of DS1 doesn't interest me in the least. They also still don't understand how important Oscar was in setting up the player's motivation in DS1, and the game ends up committing the same sin of DS2, where I'm still not sure why the gently caress I'm even bothering with all of this beyond being told "it's really important and your duty, okay cya" once by a Fire Keeper.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm starting to think From just really loving hates Miracles, honestly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I cannot honestly recommend that anyone go through the game with a FTH-centric build right now. Miracles suck rear end for damage, the buffs are merely okay, there's more than enough Estus to chug to get you through any area, and your weapon enchant is located 2/3rds of the way through the game. I say this as someone who went through DS2 multiple times as a FTH-based character post-nerfs, because at least Heavenly Thunder and Soul Appease did something.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Its early on in the game, but I'm having some issues with the fancy-looking knights in the High Wall. I started as an assassin and the shield-piercer skill of the Estoc just seems worthless because it does so little damage and they counter, and I've lost the kick move. On the other hand, getting a good series of quick stabs can mulch their health if I don't whiff/they block. Is the shield-breaking stance skill for the longsword etc good enough to justify losing the quick stab? Or should I just get good at parries?

Shield Breaker absolutely sucks. You should get a 100% physical block shield as soon as possible (there's one past the second bonfire, the Silver Eagle Kite Shield, that requires 12 STR to use). Simply circle around them to the left with your shield up, then backstab them once their tracking is done. Sight parrying them with the Buckler is goddamn impossible for a regular human, although you can setup parry their two-hit left -> right combo with something like the Kite Shield or the Knight Shield.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

Aldrich is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Is there a particular damage type he's weak to, because I'm doing fuckall with my sorceries and crystal sage rapier so I assume he's really resistant to magic. Great magic shield laughably neuters any attacks he can throw out, but I can't outlast him, especially once he hits his second form. From what I can tell, there's no summon sign either, so I'm on my own. Advice?

e: Maybe a raw weapon or something if it's physical. What's he weak to?

He's weak to Fire. The trick is to try and stay close to him at all times and whack his tail whenever he does anything. He has the same teleportation mechanic as Crystal Sage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Normally stuff like that creeps me out, but those enemies are just so over the top that it kind of wraps around to being hilarious. Like hello I'm a spider centipede demon with 10,000 legs and no face and evil hair and I scream when you stab me and... I don't know, there's a limit to horror where it just becomes comedy. I mean, if I found one under my bed I'd probably scream and need a change of pants, but that's a different story.

They'd be more frightening if I couldn't just hold up a shield and then whack them three times to kill them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can you parry the final boss. Every time I try I get mulched.

Also this final boss is easily the best in the series goddamn.

You cannot parry the final boss.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

Fire Clutch does boost Fire infusions but unless the enemy is weak to fire, Raw will be doing similar or better damage because split damage seems really awful in this game.

We're back in the wacky world of flat damage reduction for elemental damage, something that Dark Souls 2 explicitly removed so that split damage wouldn't be as atrocious. I just don't understand how they made a goddamn bad design decision that was already fixed in the previous game!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

argondamn posted:

Poise pretty much does nothing right now. I haven't poised through a single attack from anything. I guess if you have hyper armor it gives you a little extra insurance.

The speculation is that Poise grants additional hyper armor frames in a backwards regression. Basically: certain attacks have hyper armor at the very end of that animation, and additional Poise lengthens the number of frames in which you cannot be Poise broken. The problem is that you need absurd amounts of Poise to even get close to having hyper armor on even the majority of your heavy weapon frames (I'm talking, like, full Havel's + Wolf Ring + Yhorm's Greatshield + Lothric Knight Spear), making it absolutely useless for just about everyone in the game.

I didn't think the Poise system could somehow get worse, but they managed it in spectacular fashion.

WrightOfWay posted:

Apparently the only concrete thing people have found that it does is add hyper armor to the end of your roll animations. That's literally it.

You do start to notice Poise against certain enemies when using heavy weapons. The basic Hollows in the tutorial area, for example, interrupt the startup of my Claymore two-handed R1 with 20 Poise, but not with 30 Poise. The problem is that it's a lot like DS2 where you need to have 40 VIT worth of armor to even begin to notice it, and it's even worse now because you're using a godawfully slow weapon when the vast majority of the game's straight swords are both safer and more damaging.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 23, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Do any of those weapons that boost poise as their skill even give you enough to make a difference?

Perseverence seems to give either full hyper armor on everything or something close to it. Various skills have more hyper armor frames than regular attacks, with the amount varying between skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Grinding knights? Or did you do the level 100-120 work just sitting there waiting for a hit, wasting away in regret? :smith:

Look at what he's wearing on his head and take a guess.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

What if the Poise system "getting worse" from 1 to 2 to 3 is actually because Poise was bad in 1 and they decided Bloodborne had better combat than Dark Souls 1/2 rather than because they're dumb idiots who hosed it up really bad on accident

Then make it Bloodborne combat fully instead of half-assing it by watering down things into uselessness. Right now, the stat may as well not exist - why bother having it in the game in the first place, then?