Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kater posted:

Just a quick spoiler for the Ancient Dragon, does the gimmick involve the bell at the end of the hall? I can't seem to make it do anything but I'm dying too quickly out in the open to really get a feel for if something is happening.

I mean I'm just assuming there is a gimmick and it isn't meant to be a two hour fight because drat.

There is a gimmick, but the bell isn't involved. Run past it, head left and keep moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All the "dragons" we see are drakes, besides maybe the King of Storms.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look buddy! If I only get five rapier types over the course of four games you don't get to have 30 greatswords!!

You want my greatswords, you'll have to take them from my cold, dead, 17-ton body.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eonwe posted:

so in these games when you light the flame is it assumed the universe like resets and there aren't any horrors or undead shambling around or whatever

or does lighting the flame pretty much just sort of temporarily revive a basically dead world

Relighting the flame removes the Undead curse and drives back the Abyss and all the creepy crawlies that draw strength from it. The problem with the end of DS3 is that it doesn't work. Regardless of what Ludleth and the others insist, the Ashen One really is too weak to properly light the Kiln again. At the very best, you're just giving the remaining Undead a little more time to finish their affairs before the fire goes out for good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Wonder if this poise thing will get an official fix, seems like a weird decision to make.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I might have just been out of practice but I found the High Walls absolutely merciless, it's got a half-dozen flavors of nastiness to throw at you and doesn't give a poo poo whether you're ready for any of it or not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

From gives all NPCs unlimited stamia and unlimited bullets. :ssh: They call it difficulty. :ssh:

Not true, actually, DS3's NPC enemies do incorporate it. It's the trick to beating Havel in the Archdragon Peak - he loves to bust loose two-handed combos that can take your life from full to zero, but at the end he's so fatigued that a single swing is enough to knock him into riposte status if he's guarding.

The Outrider Knights aren't NPC's, though. More like frosty armored werewolves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

bloodborne was different because it didn't have different armor or dodge tiers. every piece of armor except for the crap set you start in was a sidegrade, and it was all light with no poise. there was also no weight to anything in that game so you could wear whatever you wanted and equip like two kirkhammers if you felt like it

In fairness, all armor sets in this game have a lot of weight with no poise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tykero posted:

So, super secret here - many body armors have a poise value that roughly matches their weight. Some have less poise than their weight. A small few have much, much more poise than their weight. Cornyx's Garb is possibly the most egregious example, with a weight of 4.1 but a whopping 7 Poise. There is at least one item with a higher poise value than its weight in every slot except gloves. You can put together a medium-light armor set with pretty high poise using these efficient pieces, though surpassing that poise value grows tremendously more difficult without adding significantly more weight.

Does any of that actually matter with the poise system disabled, though?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

They should have made one of the gimmicks "you actually need to be hit by an attack" just to gently caress with people.

Tries to get hit, can't, got too gud

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The final boss was definitely the best endboss in the mainline Souls games, though I'd still rate Gehrman above them all (the Moon Presence is more of a victory lap, really).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So were twinswords buffed? I always thought they were neat weapons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tykero posted:

Your reward for killing an invader is to be able to keep your entourage of phantoms holding your hand through the game.

This seems disingenuous, since invaders can and often do hit solo players as well. I like to stay Embered just for the health boost, personally.

I also got invaded on a regular basis, though I splattered most of them and went on my way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is poise back yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

I don't think I'll ever beat that loving dog

:shittydog:

If you're a SKI build, come back with the Bowblade and laugh and laugh at both him and Amygdala. They're hopeless against sustained long-range attacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So now that some DLC is coming out and skimming the thread tells me nothing, I'll ask again - is poise still busted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dark Souls 2 was deeply stupid and for all of DS3's faults it's good that it locked the second game's plot in a cupboard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Haven't played this since the first couple months of release. Are DEX weapons better after all the rebalancing, or is the Dark Sword still the extremely plain reigning champion of all?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If you can give Pontiff Beasts a few good hits on the nose they'll stagger, and that's pretty much ballgame. They take an incredibly long time to recover from a riposte.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Canemacar posted:

So is this game unstable on PC? Tried playing it for the first time last night and got about 100 yards into the starting area before it crashed. Didn't bother booting it back up yet.

The game is notorious for choking and dying at the very first bonfire on PC. I just started it back up a couple days ago and hit a few alarming framerate hitches at that point, but it seemed to recover and everything was fine afterward.

Can't believe it still hasn't been fixed after all this time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

Jesus the greatswords' pain train can drop me from practically full in a single chain...

The pain in the train comes mainly from the chain, yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Lore-wise, what become of the ending they patched in to 2? That ending was all about conquering the curse with the crowns so you essentially never hollow and figure out a way to break the cycle, but I can't recall that being addressed in 3?

DS2's plot, especially in Scholar of the First Sin, was basically "We Don't Know What We're Doing" writ large. They were trying to create some sense of coherence and profundity out of the assets they were able to throw together in the final release and none of it ever gelled.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

Ah, I didn't pick up on that when I did it. That makes a lot of sense, though.

It was also meant for Gael, so all your labors were for nothing. :darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Hey man, without opening that Shrine door, how else would you get over that 3 foot high mound of rubble? It's not even as if one of your allies makes devices to aid in vertical conveyance for a living, or something.

I know that the rubble thing is a well-worn complaint only slightly less overused than the windmill elevator. I just like to point out that a a man who makes 50 foot long ladders is right there in Majula, and he can't just make you a 3 rung stepstool, or even just 2 big wooden planks to be a bridge.

He's a ladder-maker, not a stepstool-maker. Union.