Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy, Gael's hard when you've been screwing around instead of focusing on a build so your weapons do jackall and also you skipped half the estus shards because you've been co-oping your way through the game. Can get him down to his last third now on this guy though. He started off using the javelins, then the exile greatsword, now the double greatswords.

I'd just move on and go through Irithyll Dungeon but that place sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress Gael's stupid flying multidirection lunge attack in his last phase. Gets me every time. :argh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Because people are fighting Halflight for once I'm phantoming the Spear fight and I got a laugh out of the painting guardian lag backstabbing me instead of vice versa for once. Good for them! :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish you didn't need to beat Midir to be a Spear of the Church. It's fun to do even if it rarely happens.

e: I hate regular pvp in DS3 but I've really turned around on that boss after all the balancing from the dlc launch, and the undead arena's great.

e: I've gotten my pvp win rate up to 50-60% :toot: Just dueling though, invading's too tedious

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 25, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just don't like the roll-and-chug game in Ds3, I love invasions in 1 and 2. Gank squads are whatever, I can usually get a few good hits in or kill a phantom at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Ashes just because the whole thing is From shaking you over and over shouting if you get it yet.

Digirat posted:

Except for one boss, it’s pretty crazy how much better the ringed city is than ashes. There’s like three times as much content, way more unique stuff and most of the environments are a lot more interesting and rewarding to explore than ashes (where I was eventually just charging past the groups of endlessly copy/pasted enemies to grab the items and go, which I never do).

Ashes has a few pretty views, and not a whole lot else going for it. Also even as someone who doesn’t care about lore beyond reading the item descriptions and shrugging, the total lack of direction in ashes was weirdly noticeable, while the NPCs in ringed city felt like they were building you up for something. I think I missed whatever is supposed to happen with lapp though. After I talked to him when he was sitting in a circular room I never saw him again.

Which boss are you thinking? Midir? I really like that one minus the "you lose" laser but I think he was so easy for me because his movesets are almost identical to Sinh's.

That said I did some phantoming this time around where I forgot the timings and I'm getting owned hard by the flames.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

Lapp's quest has a load of really easy to miss encounters, which is a shame as it's definitely one of the more entertaining NPC questlines in the series

I love how the last things standing at the very end as time collapses are you, Gael, the Firekeeper, some random ringed knight and a pygmy lord, that one woman who's really pissed off at what you did to Filianore, and Patches.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

Four. Patches the Spider

e: where is there a ringed knight in SKG’s arena? I’ve never found him

I didnt realize he was there until yesterday. Go round the left side of the arena and way behind where the thrones are. He could have tried a little harder to protect his lords. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I'm dumb as hell, so get what?

multijoe posted:

'Dark Souls is completely exhausted as a concept, stop asking for sequels and let the franchise die'

Pretty much that. The whole point of DS3's endings is that it's time to move on from the world of Dark Souls into something new. Ashes is the same thing only moreso, with the world turning rotten and maggoty because the Father and Freide won't let it end.

i still totally want more dark souls though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nachos posted:

Bloodborne, on the other hand,

Bloodborne 2: Dark Souls 4: Armored Core, uh, 6?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

All the games have the same basic story. Once there was a kingdom here, people in positions of power hosed it all up through monumental hubris, now you gotta kill four big bad buddies and go jump in a magical super fire/the essence of being to save the world from zombie plague.

Farron Keep has the corpses of the mushroom men from DS1. Catacombs is really obviously a callback to DS1 Catacombs with a bit of Sen’s Fortress mixed in. Anor Londo is literally part of the Anor Londo from DS1, just at night and with slime all over everything. Painted World of Ariandel is pretty much the same concept as DS1’s Painted World of Ariamis. Ditto Grand Archives with DS1’s Duke’s Archives. The Earthen Peak section of the Dreg Heap is the outside of the DS2 level of that name, turned on its side. The segue from Demon Prince’s arena to Ringed City is part of the DS1 version of Firelink Shrine. There’s probably other stuff I’m forgetting. There’s a lot of callbacks.

e: Dancer is weak to bleed, try Carthus Rouge/katanas/morningstar/Gnaw/whatever your build can use best to get it.

You go through the Demon Ruins and a bit of Ash Lake again as well. Depending on how generous you want to be with it with the Old Chaos and the Ashen Mist Heart in DS2, Lost Izalith/the Ruins and Ash Lake are in all three games, in fact.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

I didn't have much trouble with Midir on any of my runs but I do think he's annoying because his HP pool/defenses are very high and he repositions all the time by flying or running across his needlessly huge fuckin arena so you spend a lot of time running after him, and as a result it's a very long fight regardless of strategy. I liked Sinh a lot more.

I feel like the biggest problem with the dlc bosses are that most of them have like 20-30% too much hp. Demon Prince and Gael are good fights but they take forever and by the end you either have the routine down or you don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

Gael's the final boss of the entire franchise, if anything he's a too easy.

Midir's that. Gael's second to last. :v:

If his third phase varied the fight up a little bit more I wouldn't have an issue with it but as it is I just run in a circle to dodge his lightning then do the same thing I've been doing the last couple minutes. It's still fun all in all but it doesn't really add anything to have it keep going.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halflight is only "hard" due to the hyper armor he gets.

Your Computer posted:

Heck, you're not even supposed to fight the giant, he dies automatically after summoning the other player!

what

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is it ever possible to make magic worthwhile without dumping loads of stats into INT/FTH? I miss the days of convenient support magic from the decent low-level/fixed catalysts of previous games, but it seems like it's all or nothing in DS3. I thought maybe I could get away with a low INT Luck build, but of course weapon buffs don't work with the Man-Grub staff :what:
It just doesn't seem like there are any buffs or spells that can't be ignored or replicated with consumables.

Not really, no