Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i just beat the game + DLCs and after having replayed the whole trilogy in the last two years I think DS3 is definitely the best one. 1 is kind of a drag to play through, 2 is okay until you get to the DLCs which are the best souls content. 3 is good all the way through, pretty much, though it never really gets above that. the DLC bosses were amazing but the actual content wasn't.

the main issue i had with the game, really, is that I've played too many dark souls games and once you have a big health pool and your weapon does a ton of damage the game isn't that hard. you can pretty much win a damage race against every boss in the game if you know when to back off and heal and can vaguely dodge at the right time. i think i killed more than half the bosses on my first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey folks, I dove headfirst into Dark Souls II after beating 3 and the DLC... I was expecting this game to be much worse from the way everyone hems and haws! I just got to No Man's Wharf, which I guess is the 3rd area-ish? I feel like the sprawling world is really bright and pretty and so far the only bummer is the bosses seem like extremely boring Nintendo 64 polygon blobs, but I've only fought Pursuer and the fat red knight and Da Last Giant. When does it, uh, get bad?

I'm also running a Dex build for my first time in any FROM game. Falchion//Rapier! Slash, Poke, Parry! Its really fun and engaging. You can really see the evolution of the series from 1 to 3 by way of 2 and the many expansions it gives to DS1's pretty basic set up.

it gets bad a bit further in, not that bad but kinda bad, but the DLCs are the best dark souls content in the whole series so those are really fun.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The only "bad" part imo is Shrine of Amana and I still like it. It's fine, it just doesn't let you sprint through the area and past enemies, so you have to take your time going through it. But since it's your first time that shouldn't be an issue. My first time I basically slow-walked everywhere and found as much stuff as I could, and ended up making it through the entire area on my first go. It was only on second and subsequent times, where I knew the area and was like "okay I'm gonna knock this out real quick" that it started handing me my rear end

DS2 good

i think the great soul bosses and areas all kinda stink except for sinner.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

giZm posted:

Dark Souls and Quake are very similar in my opinion.

1st one is a cult classic that looks kinda dated now but still plays very well. 2nd is, uh, technical and somewhat weird but has very much the same genes as the 1st- The 3rd builds heavily on the 1st with lots of nods and throwbacks to it, and has the best multiplayer out of the 3. Sekiro/Q4 we don't talk about, bad games are bad.

i don't think dark souls 1 plays that well. it's really slow and clunky, and the areas and bosses are all poo poo after anor londo. fromsoft left it in the dirt with the later iterations on the formula. the dlc is good though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
friede is a top tier souls boss. i think the more i've digested ds3 the more i like it, definitely a game that grows on you, it probably has a good half of my favourite souls boss fights.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Ulio posted:

Oh ok. Btw this game has been pretty drat easy so far. Got slightly stuck on Crystal Sage/Abyss watchers but I just got to armored dragon and I have basically first time all the bosses almost till now. Aldrich/Sulyvahn looked cool but were kinda pushovers.

The loving morphing/infected hollows are such cool enemeis, fromsoft has such unique designs man, the enemy designs, the backgrounds, this game is a looker.

the whole game is kinda easy. but still very cool.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
sounds like a bunch of stuff you made up because of skill issues.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Dignity posted:

Have you never seen a fire salamander do the MMO spin, really?

no i have lol and it looks goofy as hell but they're not that hard to kill in melee. you also never really have to fight them (can't remember if you can run past them to get the brume tower key but i think you can). the cyclops and (i assume you mean) the iron keep knights are cool imo, they're pretty different encounters from anything you'd find in the other games. i like doing the spacing dance with the cyclops. and i like how you have to be very decisive against the knights who come at you really relentlessly. plus iron keep has the smelter demon which is a cool as hell fight.

i won't argue that ds2 isn't goofy and stupid and wildly uneven but that's what makes it good. ds3 is the serious and hard but relentlessly fair one. ds1 is the bad and easy one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

what an amazing game

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

axolotl farmer posted:

:emptyquote: except DS1 is good too, just not as good as 2 and 3.

yeah ds1 is good i'm just trying to spread the hate from 2.

No Dignity posted:

No I was referring to the archdrake knights in Amana but really that could be half a doven different sets of encounters across the game. And fair enough if you enjoy that but even you seem to think it's enjoyable because it's janky mess and not because it's actually like, well made. The cheeisness and sadism of DS2's encounter and enemy design just really pushes my buttons

iirc those guys can be stunlocked pretty easily. and i know what you mean but i don't like it because it's janky, i like it because unlike 1 and 3 which has a lot of one-size-fits-all solutions to bosses and enemies, a lot of 2's encounters test different skills with enemies and levels that come together to threaten you in lots of different ways. i think it makes for an interesting and fun and varied game. it's the same reason i like demon's souls a lot. the DLCs (which are the best part of every game but in 2 this is especially true) really push this aspect of the game and i dearly love them. when was the last time you played it? you might be surprised at how much you'd enjoy it on a replay. or maybe not lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm sure at some point the bosses are going to get hard. Must be soon, right?

not until the dlc

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you may simply have cracked the One Weird Trick of ds3, which is that every boss is weak to dodge rolls with a slight delay in between (until the dlc).

i like the ds3 bosses a lot but they're not very spicy. all of them are pretty honest (until the dlc)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Dignity posted:

Friede is badass

best boss in ds3 hands down

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm on my replay of this game - killed dancer before vordt and went for the twin fat knight axes, they rock. also dancer is a really fun boss fight at low levels and is way more fair than i remembered - in phase 1 it's just the side swipe after you dodge to the side, in phase 2 it's just the three hit combo with weird timing, all the other attacks are manageable.

i definitely agree that high wall is the hardest starting zone with the lothric knights, fat knight and the pus of man. the only comparable thing being maybe heide tower in SOTFS, if you go there instead of forest of the giants and pull the lever and gotta gently caress around with the heide knights.

i've wrapped up the whole base game (with an npc quest guide after loving up every single one in my first blind playthrough) and this game is real fun and good. i forgot that gundyr has a launcher into air combo. and i forgot how cool of a fight dragonslayer armour and lothric are. abyss watchers are maybe up there with burnt ivory king as far as flavour and theme goes (but too easy and therefore lose points). nameless king and pontiff are also both cool but kind of the same fight, ultimately.

the whole game feels like dark souls fan service with one callback or another coming every five minutes, but not in a bad way. i'm excited for the DLCs - friede was my favourite boss fight on my first playthrough and i'm hype to revisit her.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i agree, and i think dark souls 3’s by far most interesting ideas are the new ones (untended graves though that’s kinda ripping off the church workshop from BB, aldrich’s age of deep, the race of demons dying out, the whole conceit of the dreg heap at the end of the world and the ringed city, father ariandel and the choking of the flame causing the painting to rot being a mirror of gwyn doing the opposite and causing the real world to rot, gael’s whole thing of basically being a player character unheralded and unknown but massively powerful, the Dark Soul used as a pigment, the actual ending being either a pathetic sputtering of the re-ignited fire or the coming of the age of dark, i’ve not seen the hollow ending but i’m doing that this playthrough). there’s actually a lot of interesting things but they kinda get buried in the endless onslaught of references.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think sekiro counts as the .5 as it's a souls game but with a cling clang mechanic that changes how you play it.

i wrapped up the DLCs and i think, in retrospect, ashes of ariandel is not as good as i remember (though the friede fight is cool as hell but gravetender feels like a dark souls 2 mid-game joke boss). the corvid village is very cool but i'm not that impressed with the rest of the stuff.

ringed city though, drat. tremendous from start to finish - i love the dreg heap, i love the demon prince, and i really love all those weird little david lynch locusts talking about the dark within. the ringed city is cool as hell and gael is such an amazing fight. he's the reason i never think of soul of cinder as one of the best final boss fights in the franchise - it is, but gael is way better. i did not beat midir this time around though as i fought him once and remembered what a pain in the rear end fight it is.

e: also i love that the lord of hollows ending mentions londor and as far as i know this is never expounded on. just some vague hints here and there. can't believe they didn't make another DLC about it but that's fromsoft for you.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh yeah and the other really cool thing about the ringed city was that i actually got invaded like three times, and i had no problem finding a human to fight for the halflight fight. pvp in these games is still super fun. i beat two people and got absolutely smoked by this one player.

John Murdoch posted:

Everybody always latches onto the DS1 callbacks (usually to complain), but nobody ever talks about all the DeS references.

i hadn't played demon's souls last time i played ds3 but this time around i got to the stairs leading up to lothric and i was like hang on a minute this seems awfully familiar.

SHISHKABOB posted:

The more classic anime I watch the more I realize they're not callbacks, it's just that these Japanese guys really like certain themes and symbols and poo poo and they do a real fun job of putting a rotating theater of things into all the stuff they do. It's like when you see a person in western literature be a christ figure or whatever. Except it's for shoujo anime.

i don't mean things like themes and symbols (every fromsoft game is about the same things more or less) i mean things like the fume knight greatsword, the demon ruins, the morion blade, anor londo, andre, alva, siegward, quelana's spell tome, havel, the ruin sentinel armour, black knights walking around, lucatiel's armour, etc.

i also wondered if the first midir encounter was a callback to the dogshit undead dragon fight in DS1 lol

there's a whole lot of NPCs and items and areas that are just more or less direct callbacks. i'm not complaining, i like it, and i like that it adds a certain sense of lineage and history to the game, but it does make it feel less original and fresh, particularly when there's a whole bunch of cool new ideas like the outrider knights, the age of the deep, the ungodly horrible body horror stuff in the dungeon, oceiros and ocelotte, the horrible butterflies controlling the dragon slayer armour, the untended graves (first and only time you see the age of dark in-game?), etc. that i wish was expanded on more. even something like the abyss watchers was a really cool take on an old idea.

No Dignity posted:

I love DS3 ends with the end of the world and then the DLC ends with Gael essentially relinking the dark soul and allowing the creation of a new world, thematically it's beautiful as a creation of something entirely that will live past the extinction of the old world and on a meta level the new painted world is The Lands Between

i wonder when uncle gael will come home :qq:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

theblackw0lf posted:

The only thing necessary to see player summon signs is be in ember form correct?

Just wondering since I don’t see any, though it’s an old game so makes sense.

i saw a few signs here and there but like 98% of the player interactions i had were in the ringed city, where it seems like most people congregate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

raditts posted:

I got pretty regularly invaded any time I was embered all through the game on PC, and got summoned to get killed by other people's invaders pretty constantly as a blue sentinel.
I was actually relieved when I finally got a round at Halflight where a human DIDN'T get summoned, because I'm terrible at pvp and they thoroughly destroyed me every time.

in retrospect i may have completely wrecked my soul memory or whatever it's called in DS3 by doing dancer first and picking up the fat knight twin axes in the castle.