Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So there is a miracle that only requires 8 faith but the weakest talisman requires 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Homework Explainer posted:

iudex gundyr and the big crystal lizard gave me a crash course in not playing ds3 like it's bloodborne

Yeah I'm still very much in a Bloodborne mentality and have been burning through estus like an incinerator.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I'm exploring Firelink, and just got the tower key. There are some glowies on coffins, but when I try to jump on them, it seems I just slide off no matter how I land. Is there a trick to this?

edit: nevermind, as is often the case I get it right immediately after posting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Are drops like determined by account or something? All I get from these Lothric knights are their pants, and all I get from the soldiers are their helmets. Got like four each.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What's the earliest I can get Hodrick's duds?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I was impressed when imbuing my halberd (D and E scaling) made both scalings Cs. That helped a bunch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Harrow posted:

Asking this again since I think it got surrounded by other, more interesting chat.

the wikidot says 1/2/4/8 and then a slab.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

limited posted:

If you use the Black Seperation Crystal as a phantom you can also unsummon yourself to deal with asshats like this.

I got summoned in by a guy in High Wall of Lothric who apparently took "secret/illusory wall" messages super literally and spent two minutes hitting that one wall next to the staircase with the crossbowman. Thank heavens for the BSC.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Appoda posted:

Are there any good spears with a decent amount of reach and damage in the first half of the game? I found a Pike early on and upgraded it, but it just can't compare to a same-level broadsword in damage output. The distance is nice and can be well-utilized in various situations, but the weight and the laboring pace of the thrusts makes it a difficult choice. I haven't found a decent whip yet, either.

In short, any good reach weapons out there?

I think the winged halberd I got off the winged knight in lothric is fine, and I've seen praise for the Red-handled Halberd as well. The Red Halberd is a thrusting weapon first and foremost, while the winged is a slashing one. The winged isn't super fast but its R2 hits basically everything on screen near you.

I take it you found the whip in the Undead Settlement and were unimpressed?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Lmao the special on one of the abyss watcher weapons is retarded in PvP. It makes you slide along the floor like a madman and the hitbox on the sword becomes absurd. Even when you dodge it though, it grants invulnerability to the user so you can even really punish them for spamming it.

and yet I've still been attacked by dopes who gently caress it up and accomplish absolutely nothing.

I mean I am garbage at pvp and using heavy, slow weapons and they still miss me with that thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Jose posted:

Where/when do I trade in boss souls for weapons? I've just beat the catacombs boss

Ludleth. Give him the kiln from killing the Greatwood.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have been having trouble finding Sirris. She showed up in Firelink and said "I don't think we'll get much out of fraternization" or somesuch, and I haven't seen her since. Does she come back after certain events?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, guys, when you're a summon phantom, you really need to play more aggressively. Hit the boss with the giant club you brought. It's your giant club! Hit him and stagger him, and when the host is backing off, that's when you close in!

That said, drat. Every time I think I'm getting a good dodge rhythm going, I get surprised by something and end up just spamming rolls like a fiend. Game gets my blood up!

I have won at co op several times by killing the boss with my last breath.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there a reason why when I put down my summon sign I get snapped up instantly (like, before I can move after leaving the sign leaving animation) but can't summon anyone to save my life?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Where should I put my sign down for Abyss Watcher fighting? The bonfires aren't working, people just go fight the giant mages instead.

Right in front of their door? I've gotten over a dozen hits there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So, Anri storyline question: I killed Wolnir before I did Deacons of the Deep. So Anri showed up in the shrine and said she was heading for the catacombs. So should I explore the Smouldering Lake and kill Horace now or wait for later? I'm not trying to get the "dark" ending because I hardly spoke to Yoel and Yuria never appeared, so I'm just trying to not make Anri an enemy or bring them to the "best" resolution I can give them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

WHAT SET IS THAT NPC NEAR THE PALADIN ASHES AT CATHEDRAL DEEP FIRST BONFIRE WEARING? thanbks

This one? That's the Fallen Knight set; you find it in Road of Sacrifices swamp (as opposed to the Farron Keep swamp, where you find the nameless knight set.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I did not like High Lord. Especially the two attempts I lost because his weak spots clipped through the floor and stayed there so I could do nothing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CJacobs posted:

If you break one of the bracelets he slides back to his starting position. If you ran out of room, you aren't being aggressive enough.

I had one run I was summoned for where he went straight to the wall without stopping after we broke one bracelet. There wasn't a chance to hit the bracelets because he was just in his "run" animation the whole time until we reached the wall. He's buggy.

But I had several runs that went great and I basically saved someone's day. Lots of people facing Wolnir need a Sunlight Superman.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

I haven't finished it yet though. Is it possible to just cheese your way past the giants inside? Or will you run out of arrows before then?

Why can't they all be dumb reasonable, like the one in the tower?

Nah, just walk between their feet hacking at their ankles. They trudge so slowly you would have to be trying to get hit and they can't hit you with their hands when you're between their legs.

Lakbay posted:

Some discoveries:

Irithyll: If you don't kill the dog on the bridge it'll jump off and attack you in the lake when you get to it

Anri and Horace: If you fight Anri and Horace when they're together and you kill Horace first. Anri will collapse to the ground, say something about losing the will to fight, and let you kill them without fighting back :smith:

Speaking of Anri and Horace, the guides I've seen recommend killing Horace before killing Wolnir. Well, I killed Wolnir before doing the Cathedral, so Horace wasn't even in the lake when I killed Wolnir. I've killed Horace now, but I'm not sure what to do next.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

slev posted:

loving ninja skeletons

The executioner sword or similar strike weapon certainly locks them down tight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Re: "He went hollow". Huh. Interesting. Unlike the other games, there's not a bunch of characters worrying or warning of the dangers of going hollow so I didn't think of it.

This is what he looks like under the helmet, incidentally. Moreover, his armor makes it clear that he and Anri were taken by the Pontiff and cursed. They're trying to fight back, but it's a race against time that Horace loses.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So, Demon's Greataxe or the Demon's Fist? I got the stats to use the latter right now, but I have a fondness for axes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So there's some stuff in the lava not far from where you meet Knight Slayer Tsorig. Am i just supposed to put on my best fire resist gear, slap on Flash Sweat, and rush over to them, or is there a trick like you could do in the Old Iron King's castle in DS2?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My five year old son is playing dark souls 3 and it's adorable. He's spent the last half hour walking off the cliff next to the first bonfire, swinging at air, and then forgetting the swing button when a monster attacks him. Lots of "YOU DIED!" because he reads the screen out loud when it comes up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Get to Wolnir (the boss) then break the bridge from his side and climb down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

HaB posted:

Is there some requirement to join the Darkmoons? I found the covenant NPC, but the only option I get is "Do Nothing".

You use the gesture Sirris gives you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Ugh, I get the wink wink with the archers and the narrow walkways, but they aren't any fun. Is it viable just to run past them? They were fun in the first one when I played BK halberd and a giant gently caress-off shield, but my current build doesn't really do that. If I could summon help without getting the poo poo kicked out of my by the defending covenant it would be okay, but I am apparently trash in PVP.

They are pretty easy to run past, I assure you. Take the far ramp, going around the right side away from the archer, and then (to be safer) roll off onto the platform that had the Easterner's Ashes. Then go up the stairs and you're now on top. Run behind the archers on top until you get to a lower platform that has an archer and a guy with a shield. Run/roll behind them and they won't follow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

How on earth do I get the stubborn Darkmoon chick to show up again so I can receive the gesture? She appeared once, told me we have no reason to talk then disappeared and I cant get her back. I beat Farron keep, went and got the bow and I have not joined the fingers. She's started to piss me off :colbert:

find the Watchdog covenant--there are some ashes near it that you need to turn in to make her reappear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I think the melee weapons actually aren't in the game.

speaking of not in the game, I'm starting to think the same of the Black Knight Greataxe. I tried killing the Greataxe knight in Smouldering Lake so many times (with and without rusted coins) that I gained four levels and all he dropped was multiple pants, shields and gloves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Not finding them satisfying is a matter of opinion and that's fine if you feel that way; what you said, however, was that the lore was muddled and that you weren't given proper motivation, neither of which is true.

Hell, I think this is the clearest motivation has been in the series. You wake up and the first people who will actually talk to you explain that your literally singular reason for existence is to get the lords back to their thrones.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I guess at this point I have a different definition of slow, because once you see some moves a few times guys like Black Knights and even (several moves of) Pontiff Sulyvan seem like they're moving through molasses.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Blacktoll posted:

Whoever said that this doesn't share similarities to BB is a loving moron. Come on, guy.

Who said that? Clearly their eyes are on the inside and not watching the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

Right, but it's standard, not strike. I'm specifically looking for that damage type.

Executioner's Sword is pretty good and does strike.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

1v3? You lucky bastard, what's your SL, which zones?

I'm...early 60s in Irithyll, Yorshka Church bonfire and whenever I get summoned into a fight club scenario its two invaders, a mad spirit and two or three bros. Happens about 50% of the time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"visions of" is basically just "makes you think"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I miss Amazing Chest Ahead

Use Sticky White Stuff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

snoremac posted:

How are there three hosts in one world?

There's a ring that hides your phantom nature.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Titanite is pretty carefully gated to your progress in the game. Once you get to Smouldering Lake the game shits so much at you I have over 100 pieces sitting in my storage because my inventory was full, and that's without putting a single point in luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hilarious death of the night: I killed Aldritch as he brought down his rainstorm of death right on top of me, and it kept going even after he was gone. I went from full embered health to dead, but I still got him and his soul.