Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My local store's getting the game in just after lunch time and I can pick it up because I pre-ordered. :dance:

I've already been to the gym and done my shopping this morning though, so what the gently caress am I expected to do for the next couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ngh, do I go with my tried and trusted Elite Knight build or finally break from tradition and go with a LCK build focused around knives. Wah.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just checked my funstock account page and the key was up :woop:

Off to go pick up my copy now. :smug:

Guessing the servers won't be up so I'll probably see you all again in a bit complaining about that. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PS4 server is up. Pre-order comic is naff. Erection will not subside.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Women get beards. GOTY

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Game is fantastically atmospheric. I've spent far more time than is reasonable wandering around with my torch held up high to look at things. Knight armour is especially gorgeous.

I forget, can you undo Infusions? The Claymore is, unsurprisingly, my waifu but I'm going to make it Raw and get a massive damage boost early on while I round out my other, defensive, attributes. I'd rather that not bite me in the rear end later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Raw it is then! Finding a ton of interesting weapons and gear even in the first area, so I don't want to commit to anything just yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Classic claymore/shield approach is functional, but the bandit knife and shortbow soul arts make the game a ton of fun and feel like Bloodborne. UGH, DECISIONS.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, so defeated the first three "proper" bosses as both Claymore lady and sneaky thief. Think I'm going to stick with the latter for now - push luck to get the most out of bleed on the bandit knife, with a raw weapon as back-up. Bow for sniping and silly quick poison stacking.

I have no doubt this will cause me a ton of frustration later on but it feels like a very fluid playstyle. Something very satisfying about slipping underneath a monster, castrating the bastard and then zipping away before they can retaliate.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can't lose covenant progress this time can you? Ton of fun Sunbroing and then invading.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

I need to stop moundmaking and start exploring more but it's just so fun to act like a friendly phantom then wait for the perfect time to strike!

Try thrusting but hole

Mound makers appear friendly?!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Assuming buffs and utility over damage, would 15\15 be the spell stats to aim for?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Watch Dogs are cunts. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a Bleed infusion at all? I have an uncracked red orb now, and a few pale tongues, so I'm wanting to experiment a little with my build. Dual daggers are great but they don't have any inherent bleed ability.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So the game's pretty loving big. I've just killed Aldrich and got through to the Profane Capital and my main weapon is only +7. Unless it suddenly shoots ahead and drops plot tokens on you in quick succession now?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 14, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I really should have given my girl a big head. Armour makes her rear end grow about five sizes which makes her look really disproportionate.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

plape tickler posted:

Thanks. Unless there's a cheap gimmick, Pontiff Sulyvahn is going to be my first npc summon. gently caress that guy.

Try not to summon NPCs for this fight, seriously. The level of satisfaction you'll get for nailing him is unbeaten! Just watch his attack patterns and learn to prepare for his massive flailing combo - he's very vulnerable during that, especially to counter damage.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can understand what they're going for with Yhorm the Giant but man oh man, gently caress gimmick fights. That wasn't challenging just tedious.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any advice for Oceiros, the Consumed King? I'm using an Estoc +8 and this is the first boss I'm getting genuinely hosed off with. He seems to combine all the camera fuckery of Bloodborne's Cleric Beast - shooting off across the other side of the arena, only to bounce back as soon as I get near him, repeat ad infintum - with all the spazzing out of the Bloodletting Beast.

I have his first phase down to perfection but his second one is just so unpredictable. I'm doing my damndest to keep out from under his belly, which seems to trigger the aforementioned leaping attack, but he flips his poo poo and clips through the arena which puts him over me, which then kicks off his leaping, which then makes him flip out again, etc etc. It's immensely annoying as one or two hits is enough to kill me and he's aggressive to the point where healing isn't an option.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I always go into these games expecting to be something exotic and exciting, but always - always - end up as a trusty sword and board knight. Slightly fat, slightly muscly, slightly clumsy, hits like a truck, occasionally figures out which end of the pyromancy glove casts a buff or two. Anri's straight sword is right up my alley as a result, it fits the dorky aesthetic so well. :allears:

Speaking of dorks, I have character names instead of account ones switched one and I'm so happy the Dark Souls community is full of lore nerds. Except for a couple of tryhard DARK MESSIAH and FARTY KILLER type invaders, nearly everyone I've summoned, invaded or been invaded by has had an RP-ish name such as Lion Knight Ulfric, Eileen of Ornheim, etc. It's a bunch of dumb fun and I love it.

Is there an agreed SL meta cap yet? I'm approaching NG+ and don't want to abandon this character, but don't wanna close myself off from online play.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Motherfucker, only just found the soul transpose guy. I did wonder why I hadn't come across that "boss" yet... :suicide:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Despite screaming YOU CHEAP oval office about six times, the boss fight in Untended Graves was fantastic after I calmed down. No gimmicks, no bullshit moves that are cynically timed to hit you the second your invincibility frames run out from being knocked over (looking at you ODK...). Just you, an angry man with a halberd and a fight that gets the split between aggression and control just right. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I know, lets make a visually amazing boss with a fantastic, incredibly tense second phase but make the first one too big for our lovely camera to keep track while making him move at the speed of light, spaz the camera out even more, attack you from a range you can't even see his tells and then have him two-hit you regardless of defense. :byodood:

Seriously, the gently caress were they thinking with King of the Storm. The one directly after him is good but jesus loving christ.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Regy Rusty posted:

loving hell I've just hit a boss that is far and away the hardest one in this game so far.

A few bosses past 3 Lords of Cinder spoilers: Champion Gundyr. Holy poo poo his second form does not let up. I can barely dodge all his attacks let alone find a place to get an attack in myself. One single time I managed to become semi-competent and got him down to a few hits left before he killed me. Since then he just flings me all around the place.

Probably a bit late with this, but dodge to his left (your right) while hugging him. His combos are fairly easy to predict so after a bit you can tell if he's going for a two or three hitter, then poke him in the butt before dodging again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I just noticed the music changed in Firelink after Certain Items. Has this locked me into a "snuff the flame" ending? I'm getting that vibe from her.

Already planning my next character. What guys would you suggest as a decent, relatively versatile spear? Want to go shieldless but still have a decentish time in sunbroing and PVP.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

pmchem posted:

Can you turn in 30 covenant items at once for full reward or so you need to do it one by one?

Can turn in up to 10 at once.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Final boss has grab attacks and can air juggle. He keeps combinin them, gently caress sake.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Despite my bitching, the final boss is fantastic. That loving phase transition music.... :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What are the exact steps to unlock the Uncracked Red Orb? When I got it on my first run the process seemed a bit random, but I undoubtedly tripped several flags later than was actually possible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, thanks guys. I only started using the cracked orbs around the time I got my first pale tongue, so I guess the two events linked together in my head.

Time to hit the Road, then.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Also I just noticed something about my ending: killing the Firekeeper after she snuffs the final flame doesn't give you an ending trophy. :laffo:

I kind of asked for that one.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BillmasterCozb posted:

The body that gives you the stretch out gesture..is that Gilligan?

It was, yeah.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So it turns out the "Get all rings" trophy requires you to get their NG+ and NG++ versions. Welp, time to get busy. :black101:

Incidentally, how long do you guys think Raw/Fire/etc weapons can be pushed before I should start focusing on stuff with some actual scaling? My faith build has turned into a fast rolling, shieldless dickhead with a glorious nippon katana, but I currently have it Raw while I boost my defensive stats. I don't want to end up hitting NG+ enemies for 50 damage or whatever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Raw probably won't work great in NG+ unless you're using a weapon buff. Otherwise, since you're a Faith build, you could use a Lightning or Chaos weapon and get some scaling going on.

Yeah, I was thinking of lightning in the long run, with a spare weapon enchanted as Chaos just in case I hit a certain...shall we say Nameless...boss that happens to have massive resistance to the damage type. I guess I'm just a bit too worried about getting the HP/damage ratio "right". Feel like I'm spreading myself too thin and getting hyped up about the details.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the advice guys. :)

And man, I never get tired of killing Wolnir. His death animation is so satisfying. Get eaten by the abyss, you vile oval office.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

Whoops, I made that mistake last night trying to put the cinder in too and kept thinking "gently caress where does it go".

That's OK, I was over halfway through the game before I noticed one of the Lords! Ludreth just chilling out on his little throne.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

They linked the fire together as one, so they share one "Lord" essence apparently.

They are, yeah. Decided to burn in the Kiln as one rather than let a single man sacrifice himself alone.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shieldless, no magic Abyss watcher fight put my heart in my mouth, goddamn.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is the only way to do the fight. Getting the hang of the trail effect on his flame sword is downright glorious. None of this running away nonsense, roll right up into his face and wrestle him within in a cage of flame.

Yeah, no kidding! DH armour aside, the duel bosses are loving heart pounding like this.

Ditch your shields, people. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Digital_Jesus posted:

Then theres the blue eyed red knights in gray armor with red dots on it and....

Why do people find knights hard? Walk up to their face, bait out the thrust/overhead and then backstab them. Then do it again if your weapon is sucks and it takes more than 1 hit to kill them.

:gitgud:

Can't speak for anyone else but if I go behind them they smack me with their shield, and if I try to kick their shield away they impale me. :v:

They're fuckers. I find the Silver Knights more consistent.