Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Wow, Dark Hand has been buffed and is now use able as a weapon. Before it only use to do piddly physical damage when wielded in the right hand. Now it actually does the listed damage including the substantial dark component. My pyromancer with 35 INT/FTH and base STR/DEX does about 100 physical and 260 dark with it. Very happy that I now get to have two glowing red hands and have it be viable since I hated using it as a shield and the grab was impossible to land. Goodbye weapons!

Also a great source of dark damage while looking stylish since dark pyromancies suck.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Not sure what the trigger for him selling it is, but he doesn't do it right away. I usually see it on him after I've got him a fire link for a bit and he teaches me his squat.

Or you could just kill him for it because gently caress Patches anyway.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Best thing to do as a Mad during fight clubs is to scope out which of the other phantoms is squirrelly enough to attack the host too, then both of you will him while the others are busy dueling. Wildcard bitches

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Only five more ears...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

You guys think my pyromancer could be tweaked into a dark sorcery/miracle warlock dude? I'd probably only do it if the crystal chime is any good since I hate having multiple catalyst types.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

No I've got 40 ATT, FTH, and INT already I just haven't collected any spells except pyromancies, catalysts either. I think I sold them all off. Just don't want to spend the time to reacquire all that stuff if the build would be awful. I can definitely deal with suboptimal if it changes things up from nuking things to death with fire, which is starting to bore a bit.

e: Eh I actually decided to get late game with this other boring quality character I forgot I had who's in Irithyll, and respec to a pure dark hexer build which will probably be awful. But I keep getting rerollitis and my fire guy looks sweet with his golden armor (Favor helm/Sunset Chest/Brass Legs/Dragonslayer bracers) and there's all kind of armor I haven't worn yet...

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 14, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Fire arrows, my droogs. Always carry a few around.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

You can take Phantom Knightslayer Tsorig and get him to fight actual Knightslayer Tsorig in the Smouldering Lake. What kind of headfuckery is that.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I like the Lighting Straight Sword. It's got the slash slash, and the heavy is two lines rather than that follow up swipe most other swords have. It infuses really well too. I think it gets S with faith on the lightning version and A with holy. You can probably expect something similar for Crystal and Simple.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

straight swords are some of the best weapons around and that's the real reason people poo poo talk them even though 99% of the people that do so have used one before and will do so again

to be fair, sorceries are garbage unless you stack every buff you can and go all in on int

Sorceries are definitely not garbage, doing a pretty decent damage from a safe distance is a distinct advantage. When you stack all the buffs and stuff though, you can 1 shot some players and 3 shot Nameless King's first phase.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I think Caitha's Chime and the Sunless Talisman are tied for stats, but the talisman has Ulfaltering Prayer which I consider to be the superior Skill.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I personally don't use crystal weapons on my wizard because she's got enough ways to gently caress someone up with magic, but when I run into a magic resistant for or boss for I want a second damage type to fall back on.

Same reason I use holy instead of lightning on my cleric.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Blessing stones can drop from the buffing priests in Lothric castle.. Kinda late game thought.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

So I've been slaying bodies on low level duels and invasions with the glaive. Only thing is, I rarely use the weapon art. Can anyone recommend a better halberd?

It should be mentioned that I'm not a fan of the pokey move set the standard one has.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 19, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

mortons stork posted:

Lucerne is amazing, the wide arc horizontal swings in the r2 are excellent for catching rollspam and the weapon art is great to chain after a first hit.

I do like the Lucerne. But it's functionally identical to the glaive. Only difference is the glaive has a bit higher base damage, and does slash rather than thrust. And since everyone in PvP is running around with super light armor since poise isn't a thing, it seems to deal a really good amount of damage.

I'm checking out the crescent axe because it looks neat and war cry opens up some cool heavy attacks. Base damage is really low compared to the others though; I'm betting it's got a really nice infusion to make up for it. Probably gonna move onto black knight's glaive or gundyrs once I get further along.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

NT Plus posted:

I've been doing it all wrong and using a raw lucerne on my pyrobro. It's done me some fun PVP favors but it was kind of silly watching my piss poor damage in comparison to my buddy hammering out upper 400/500s with each hit from his dark sword.

But you at least you have your dignity. Plus, I've never failed to kill another player who's using the Dark Sword when I'm wielding the Lucerne or Glaive. It's like straight sword spam medicine.

Since you're a pyro, try seeing which of the halberds has a favorable infusion for Dark or Chaos. I'd really go with Dark, to give you a second damage type since I'm sure you're lighting dudes up with fire 24/7 anyhow.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What would the thread say is the best weapon art(s)? I haven't been using them personally.

Also, having never played Demon's Souls which tracks are hilarious?

I'm using a mace for this run and Perseverance really does a lot for the mace's crappy range and slower swing speed. It's very fast to activate, cheap on both stamina and focus, and let's you eat enemy attacks at greatly reduced damages while not flinching.

I personally hate all the stance type ones. I also dislike ones like the spinny halberd ones that do several weak hits in a row.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Just a reminder that invading as a sunbro prioritizes worlds with invaders in them already. You can get some sweet 2v2s going.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure the bleed number on the weapon (which increases as you add more luck) signifies how much damage the bleed effect does when it procs, not how fast bleed builds. I think the Rouge increases the bleed buildup by tons, but not necessarily the bleed damage.

I haven't done super extensive research on it, but that's the way it seems to work for me. It also means that bleed infusion might not be as terrible as people claim it is.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Best way to deal with doggos is the flamethrower pyromancy as they run towards you.

Second best way is to use Perseverance, it's great. Weak attacks like dog bites send the dogs bouncing off you like you just held up a great shield. Same thing with weak attacks like rapiers or daggers. I'm having a ton of fun on my super heavy armor mace wielder. Oh a pack of rats? Laugh as you wade into the lot of them while mashing them to bits with your hammer.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

It's Dark Souls as gently caress to have that ONE enemy in that precarious position have a unique weapon. I snagged one too...and ended up using Avelyn anyway.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

That's a nice list of changes. It looks like faith builds will be even better now.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Speaking of giant seeds, can I leave giant seeds for people I invade, so I can help them fight?

I want to cooperate, I just don't want to wait for permission to do it

Huh. You probably can, try it at a fight club. But you won't get any souls from anything you kill. Not sure about if your flask will refill from other invader kills either.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Casting hidden body and the spell that makes you silent lets you run right up to them and backstab them, usually pushing them off the building.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Digirat posted:

Actually both the blacksmith and his daughter (its chloanne not rosabeth) have things to say about it. He's glad to see her safe and sound and she's confused about why he keeps looking at her because she doesn't remember who he is. Which is a bit weird considering the blacksmith is the one who looks hollow.

It's still extremely little dialogue and the majula NPCs don't really interact at all, they just sort of park themselves there and that's it for their story, for the most part. Pate & creighton have some good interaction though.

I love how DS3 ended 2's debate on who the real scumbag was. I had my money on Page, actually.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Dark Souls DLC has always been really great.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

It's the same as any other NCP, if they managed to get stunlocked they're doomed. It's also why the mimic can either slaughter that flame demon or get obliterated. I have some playthroughs where the mimic keeps ineffectually trying to grab the demon and meets the business end of the axe twice in a row and is toast. Other times he fucks him up with those flying kicks (and the skeletons help a bit too).

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Some people are being weirdly pessimistic, which is weird because every Dark Souls DLC has been outstanding.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Ash Lake is cool simply because you spend ages climbing down the insides of this giant free that feels like it's basically holding up the world , and when you get to the bottom and look around...there's hundreds more of these giant trees off in the distance in this weird, dreamy, dead area. It's also cool how you can see Ash Lake from the Tomb of Giants which is pitch black and when you're there you really feel like you're nearing the center of the world, but then there's this strange light where none should exist...

It reminds me a lot of the "prequel" to the Narnia books, The Magician's Nephew. The two main character stumble upon an enchanted wood filled with all these magic pools. They came in through one, and upon exploring another they discover Narnia, but there's hundreds more.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

So I jumped back into this game after months away and bought the dlc. I saw some old patch notes that said they increased physical damage reduction for heavy weapon users, and they tweaked the poise across the board.

Does poise work now. Even a little bit like it used to work?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Oh nice they added a visceral to those big tree bastards in Farron.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I guess if I had to stack all the DLC and judge them then this would come at the bottom, but that's more because the strength and scope of the other games DLCs was so great. It might be the worst Souls DLC but it's still a drat good DLC, in my opinion. It's really beautiful, has some cool new gear (I'm loving this throwing spear), some neat encounters, and a story that leaves you wanting more.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

because jesus christ if you can get yourself any distance with that magic shield build, you can essentially erase any progress they made period

Can you use Duel charms in the arena? If so, that's sure to hinder his build.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you deal with the witch's locks weapon art anyways. It has stupidly long range and the animation is so confusing I don't know when you are supposed to roll through it. I played against a guy that did nothing but spam it and lost because I couldn't figure out what timing I was supposed to be aiming for to dodge it.

Back off and plug him with three bolts from Avelyn.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Jordbo posted:

I never plunge attack the Ancient Wyvern anymore, I just can't take the pain of running through the whole area and then falling to my death because RNG/impatience :( You do decent damage as long as you hit its head, so if you can bait out the fire breath it's no big deal at all - and at least that way it's all down to skill and perseverance and not luck!

If you mess up the plunge it's not due to RNG, it's due to improper placement and not waiting for the right moment to strike.

If that boss is as big a pain in the rear end to fight as the wyvern miniboss later in the level, then lol.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

The first was good but this is excellent.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

So WoW corona can damage an enemy like six or seven times if it's got a big model and doesn't move much. I killed the Lothric wall dragon by free aiming it. Much better than plinking away with bow and arrow.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

It's not unusual to die a lot to Gundyr, especially on a first time. It's a tough fight, which is why i get summoned for it near constantly. It's also why it's memorable. Certain bosses are hell for certain builds and cake for others.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

What's the best SL50-60 build for handling gank squads?

I dunno about builds in particular but look into halberds for the weapon. Lucerne, glaive and crescent axe all have the same moveset and it's really good at multiple opponents, especially sword users. Lots of variety and range. I don't much like the thrust halberds but the red hilted one does have perseverance. Get the base stats for one you like, get a decent amount of HP and stamina, and wear some decent armor and you can do pretty well for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

It's taken me three games before I did a caestus run and man I'm loving it. Stunlocking the Abyss watchers in a corner and punching them until they die feels great. I was already a fan of Perseverance too.

Any of the other fist weapons any good? I'd like some damage type variety. There's like three slash/bleed ones though.