Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CJ posted:

Does anyone know why my estus flask randomly refills? In DS1 i think it was because someone stoked the bonfire you were using but afaik you can't do that in this game.

It's probably your messages being rated up if I had to wager a guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Winkie01 posted:

How do you become unhollowed?

ember?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

please don't insult the sun

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Can you upgrade how much the estus flask heals, or just charges?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

How's the Lucerne this time around? I've been rolling Uchigatana for a while and the bleed is fantastic, but I wouldn't mind something with a bit more reach.

I assume I need far more than nine luck to consistently proc the bleed? Never goes off for me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Did this 100mb already drop for everyone or did it just drop now?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

What's kind of a bummer is that I don't think I'm having much fun playing this right now. I can't really put my finger on it but, while I like it on first impression more than Dark Souls 2, it's still just not grabbing me like Demon's, Dark 1, and Bloodborne.

I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with the game, mind you, it's just not clicking with me. :smith:

I feel like it's good this is the final Souls game. I love em but too much of a good thing really is a bad thing. Best to stop it before it continues to be a yearly series.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I felt like doing an effortpost writeup of how weapon infusion works, since a lot of people seem unsure about what to do with their weapons for a given build. If this can get thrown in the OP (with spoiler tags where needed, if you think that's necessary?) that would be helpful. Also if I missed something or someone has anything helpful to add, feel free.

Blacksmith Andre starts with three infusion types available, and can unlock more as you give him embers which you find as you progress through the game. Infusing a weapon or shield requires a gem of the appropriate type and a small amount of souls. You can change a weapon from one infusion type to another, though the first gem isn't refunded, or you can use a Shriving Stone to remove the infusion altogether if you'd like.

All infusions except for Raw lower the base physical damage slightly. The plain Dagger seems to be an exception, with all the elemental infusions actually increasing its base damage.

Weapon buffs such as pine resins and spells that affect your weapon can ONLY be applied to normal, Refined, Sharp, Heavy, and Raw weapons.

Starting Infusions:

Refined - Slightly lowers the highest among STR and DEX scaling, then brings the other one up to that level.
Raw - Removes all scaling, significantly increases base physical damage.
Fire - Removes all scaling, adds flat fire damage

Farron Coal location: Road of Sacrifices, guarded by a Black Knight.

Heavy - Removes DEX scaling, increases STR scaling.
Sharp - Lowers but does not remove STR scaling, increases DEX scaling.
Poison - Lowers all scaling, adds poison buildup.

Sage's Coal location: Farron Keep, guarded by a Darkwraith.

Crystal - Lowers all scaling, adds magic damage with INT scaling.
Blessed - Lowers all scaling, adds FAITH scaling to physical damage. Also gives slow HP recovery while equipped.
Deep - Removes all scaling, adds flat dark damage.

Profaned Coal location: Irithyll Dungeon right by the shortcut.

Dark - Lowers all scaling, adds dark damage with INT+FAITH scaling.
Blood - Lowers all scaling, adds bleed buildup.
Hollow - Lowers all scaling, adds LUCK scaling, increases your LUCK based on how hollowed you are.

Giant's Coal location: Anor Londo on a giant corpse near the bonfire.

Lightning - Lowers all scaling, adds lightning damage with FAITH scaling.
Simple - Lowers all scaling, adds flat magic damage. Also gives slow FP recovery while equipped.
Chaos - Lowers all scaling, adds fire damage with INT+FAITH scaling.

Generally speaking you will always want to infuse a weapon you're using, as there will be one if not several options that are outright better than an uninfused weapon. Starting off when you don't have much for stats, Raw or one of the non-scaling elemental infusions like Fire and Deep will be your best option, depending on what enemies you're going to be fighting since certain ones have heavy resistances or weaknesses. Once you have solid offensive stats, STR builds will usually want Heavy, DEX builds will usually want Sharp, and Quality builds will usually want Refined. Spellcaster builds are a bit more situational - a DEX or STR caster hybrid will generally want Heavy/Sharp so they can enchant it, a pure caster can use Raw with enchantments or forego them for one of the elemental scaling infusions if their appropriate stat(s) are high enough, and again it depends on what types of enemies you're going to be fighting.

The type of weapon you're modifying matters as well. Weapons with high base damage benefit more from flat damage infusions, weapons with high scaling benefit more from infusions that add or increase scaling. All gems are farmable in at least one location, so it doesn't hurt to experiment to find out what works.

add this to op

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Appoda posted:

Also, is it just me, or does the world seem to be a lot less dense with messages this time around? I see a few scrawls here and there, but hardly as many as DS1 or DS1, even long after their peak play hours.

It's probably something wacky with the game's servers. I don't remember which Souls game it was anymore, but one of them barely had any messages because instead of one(?) server they had like 10. Was it Souls 2?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've got all these tomes and nobody to give them to

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

gently caress I missed the sunbros too?

I'm at the end of Farron Keep

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah it's back in undead settlement.

past the area with all the zombie dudes and the fat lady and the big bonfire, there's the path that leads through all the buildings? The first big one you go in, with two stories and all the hanging bodies and a locked door on the bottom. On the upper floor is a hole, that leads to the room behind the locked door.

Oh poo poo thanks man, I completely forgot about that locked door and somehow missed this

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Throw me the name of a weapon that a heavy gem'd be decent for at 30 str

An axe, maybe?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

How do you guys handle the equip load as a knight? I'm at 18 vitality, 58.0 equip load and 72.8% weight ratio with knight set and a few rings. (+longbow and a torch). Do I need to pump up vitality a lot to be able to wear any heavier stuff than this?

Can you get the havel ring yet?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also simply to satiate my own curiosity, could I have found another katana besides the Uchigatana by the time I've killed the Abyss Watchers/completed the Keep and the Cathedral?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If you join the mound makers and donate 10 vertebrae shackles, you get the Bloodlust katana.

Two things, one I have no idea how to do join them, and two I killed the greatwood already lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

She and no I said I beat them :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Well, either way what I said still stands. If you want the Darkdrifit all you have to do is go hollow, which you should be used to if you're a Souls game veteran

Could you tell me how to join the Mound Makers for my second character where I don't kill the greatwood?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Catacombs...I can't handle this

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Actually my problem is apparently there was a bonfire shortly after the rolling ball o skeletonsand I completely loving missed it :suicide:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Holy poo poo Irithyll of the Boreal Valley is so pretty :swoon:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I think to summon for that boss you have to do it from outside the room

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is there any way or place to get Titanite chunks before Aldritch?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

There's like six of them scattered in various places that I'm aware of before ------, and then they show up extremely commonly in a couple of optional areas after you beat the boss who shows up after getting the three cinders.

turtlecrunch posted:

You can get one from the crow for a black firebomb

Thanks! I'm gonna go do some hunting to get my sword to +7 or +8 before trying him again

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm at like... 13 or around there I think :downs:

I have 21 vigor and I feel extremely squishy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

I haven't beaten any bosses in late-game Lothric Castle yet, but I gotta say, I think the world of DS3 might be my favorite designed game world out of all the Bloodsouls games. Everything feels lived in, connected, logical, and evokes a strong sense of history and use. DS1 was close to this, but I think technology has allowed DS3 to really create something that feels like a real place. I'm a big fan of DS2, but out side of Brume Tower, Eleum Loyce, and maybe Forest of the Fallen Giants, everything just felt flatter or emptier. Drangleic Castle looks majestic from the outside, but inside it's just one long linear hallway. Lothric Castle, on the other hand, feels like this warren of rooms, halls, galleries, and passageways, much like a real castle. Lothric Castle, Undead Settlement, and Irithryll feel much bigger and busier than even the ever popular Anor Londo.

DS3 also makes me not miss too terribly the central interconnectedness of DS1. For all the talk of DS1's interwoven world, it's really just Firelink and Undead Parish that have all these looping branches and revisits. Once you hit Anor Londo though, you basically just start working your way down linear paths anyway. I think you get the same sense of connectedness from Lothric Castle and Irithryll, it's just that they aren't central hubs.

I love love this game world

I will definitely say Irithyll of the Boreal Valley is my favorite Souls area ever

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh it turns out Aldrich wasn't that hard of a boss

The bow attack he uses in his second phase is kind of lovely though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Holy loving poo poo my health drains just by looking at these things?

This is something

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I don't think it's ok I was forced into another bossfight immediately after Yhorm and lost 60,000 souls because I didn't anticipate it. I got them back after dying and boning, but still what the gently caress

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

How can I be mad when I lose to the princes? They're so loving nice.

And I have been losing, a lot.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

psychoJ posted:

Man, I know some people were kind of down on some of the lore stuff making a direct return as too fanservicey, buuut(super huge later area spoilers) seeing the name ANOR LONDO just pop up on the screen was probably one of the bigger "holy poo poo" moments of this game to me. this game owns.

I almost shed a tear.

and then (big spoilers for that area) the giant was dead and then I did shed a tear

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How much vigor did ya'll have when you fought Storm King? I'm at 20 and it feels fine most of the time but the fact that every attack from this boss OHKOs or two shots is brutal as hell and makes me wonder if I'm doing it to early.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Which is the only way to make him the protagonist from Dark Souls anyway, because everybody's character had different stats and used different gear and heck some of them were girls

what if it checked your save files?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

man nurse posted:

The Princes are impossible and I think I'm done trying to beat this game.

Summon a sunbro?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Some guy invaded me in the Consumed King's Garden and just...fought the enemies till he died? :shrug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yhorm is the worst bossfight in the game because it's a such a loving waste

no i don't care about the callback

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

For some reason It feels like if I summon for help on the second to last boss that I'm an utter failure because I've beaten the rest of the game by myself

do you guys feel that way sometimes

e: i'm not a bitch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay nevermind I beat Lothric and Lorian by myself!

Amazingly fun fight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wait people think the final boss is easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I beat the final boss by myself. Now I truly am a cowboy.