Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite setup in DS2 was a light-armored dodgy character that power stanced a rapier and a falchion for its fun, useful, and varied moveset. Refused to ever use a shield or ranged weapon.

Anyone who's played the game have any advice if I want to go down a similar path in DS3? I was planning on focusing dex a bunch, but if it turns out that stat scaling is garbage like DS1 on release, or dex weapons are utter trash like DS2 on release, or something else of that nature, then maybe I should reconsider. Maybe dual wielding is terrible? Who knows. Is it worth shoving a bunch of points into attunement for focus points, or are you better off sticking to more traditional melee stats? What sorts of weapons are worth using and upgrading? Any tips like that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Does equip load affect your iframes in this game, or is it just roll speed/distance?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm not enjoying DS3 as much as I was expecting. I just finished Lothric Castle and the game kinda feels like a slog at this point. Almost every single enemy is such a pain in the rear end to deal with. They all have enormous combos that fake you out into believing they should have ended (with almost no recovery time when they do end), they all delay their swings to gently caress up your dodge timing, they all kill you in two hits, they're all insanely aggressive, and even if you stagger them it only ends up being a 0.25 second animation that doesn't even let you get in another safe swing. It's just kind of exhausting.

It's also tough enough that I feel like I am required to use a very specific subset of weapons rather than just picking whatever I think looks cool or has a good moveset. If it's slower than a longsword I dunno why you'd ever bother because half the enemies don't stagger for any meaningful amount of time even when hit by an ultra greatsword and will punish you every time you swing. I loved the Zweihander in DS1 because it was about carefully picking your moments and then delivering a massive stunlock beatdown when the opportunity presented itself. Now enemies just shrug off the hits and it barely does more damage than a broadsword.

I'm making progress well enough, but unlike previous Souls games I am not chomping at the bit to boot up the game every day, and I have little desire to go through this all over again in another playthrough.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 24, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Oh man, time to take a break. I've been ticked off at a few fights, but in a 'I see how to improve' way. Dancer is just something else. Something like 10 fights a row getting grabbed and one-shot while in the middle of a roll. Need to chill out before I headbutt my monitor.

Look on the bright side. Once she exits phase 1, she loses her grab...and gets a variety of other, faster attacks that can one-shot you.

Dancer was the only boss to give me major problems. I ended up switching to a bandit dagger and bleeding her to death.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished this game. I was having a fairly difficult time with it around 3/4 in until I switched to a straight sword + shield, at which point it became 20x easier than it ever was before and I started taking out every boss in 1-2 attempts. Not a huge fan of that.

I do like that armor is kinda meaningless so you can wear whatever, although DS3 certainly has a whole lot of drab, tattered equipment. Here's what I fashion souls'd with for most of the game:

And here's what I switched to later since the swords didn't really fit the old look:

Overall I prefer DS1 and 2, but 3 was still fun.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay seriously, how are you supposed to fight the Champion without a shield? This motherfucker has tons of combos that go on ridiculously long. So fine, I'll wait for an opening, except he keeps mixing in kicks and punched and shoulder checks that go incredibly fast. And if I sit back and try to see if he does one, well then he just goes right into his next attack. He's totally relentless. The difficult jump from Orieon to him is like a brick loving wall.

EDIT: I probably just need to clear my head and try again tomorrow but god drat this guy is rough

I think that you are supposed to use a shield in this game, unlike Dark Souls 2. I didn't have any issues with him while using a shield but I can definitely see where it would be pretty ridiculous without one. That shoulder charge in particular.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how you're supposed to play 'correctly' even though I'm 30 hours or so into the game. Shields don't seem very useful because every boss (and some normal enemies even) has a three or four or five attack chain that will drain your stamina and leave you doing the 'please stab my face' wavy arm dance. But dodging is a pain in the rear end too because of all the fakeout delayed attacks or those same giant chain moves that seem timed specifically to screw you over if you're chaining rolls. That and grab attacks that completely ignore iframes. :argh:

I primarily dodged, but held up my shield after dodges specifically to counter those fast fakeouts, only dropping it for stamina when it was very clear that I wasn't about to be attacked. Can't say that I experienced grabs ignoring iframes though. I dodged through grabs all the time and only ever got picked up when I clearly hosed it up.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

I am getting really loving upset. I have attempted Dancer of the BV approximately 10 times with summons. 7 of them the summons couldn't get through the fog door, 3 of them my framerate tanked and kicked me out of the game. This has never happened on any boss, during any summons, ever before in this game. I'm seriously in a rage right now just trying to play my goddamn game

If you're having framerate issues on Dancer, then you're in for a treat with Dragonslayer. Any time my camera faced the fog door during that battle, I'd go down to ~3 fps. I had some framerate hiccups here and there beforehand, but nothing on that level. Ended up downloading a cheat engine script to bypass him because it was 100% unplayable.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Can someone give me a quick combat primer to someone who's never played DS, only Bloodborne?

I've killed first dude and Tree Guy already, but I still get loving stomped nonstop by random mobs. I'm playing sword+board knight, going Str/Vit/Vig and a little Dex. I just don't understand what I should be doing in fights.

Against other PC-type enemies I just get smashed. I can't dodge them because they track me, if I try to block they just punch through it and murder me, and I don't have enough stamina to roll away for move than a few times.

NPCs that abide by the PC's rules are generally trivial if you keep your distance and charge up long range melee attacks as they close in. They'll run right into it every time. Back off and repeat. The longer the attack, the better, although even a longsword heavy stab attack will work most of the time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

limited posted:

Hah! I didn't even notice this misprint in my copy. Prima is still owned by EA if I remember rightly, plus write their own poo poo without including the game devs, and god, it shows. Nearly every boss is basically three paragraphs of, 'roll away from attacks, hit boss' with hardly any detail whatsoever. It's so bloody lazy and obviously been rushed out for release, compared to the guides for the other games.

The other guides by Future Press were insanely detailed. Diagrams, and even screenshots that showed you when to parry or roll. The Bloodborne guide even had diagrams for each weapon that showed which frames you could parry or roll out of.

The guide doesn't even mention you can parry the first boss and make his first phase a joke. Not even a single sentence. At least the notebook looks nice. :allears: Apprently the flask with the Estus edition is basically a piece of unfinished green plastic that looks like poo poo.

I also like how that page seems to suggest swapping to heavy armor to become "a brick wall/sponge/brute", while in reality armor does nothing meaningful at all.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I primarily played through this game 2-handed using the Exile Greatsword and Zweihander, and had a fairly tough time, especially in some of the later areas where you're fighting fast enemies with high poise. Now I've started over again and even though I'm playing a pyromancer with magic stats who never actually casts pyromancy because it kinda sucks, it's about a million times easier since I'm using a quick 1h and shield. I'm most of the way through the Cathedral and the only things that have killed me are fall damage and oddly enough, that really easy Sage boss. It's pretty crazy how much better this sort of setup is than anything else which is a shame because I don't really like it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TGLT posted:

edit: Also everyone should Dried Fingers in Road of Sacrifices. It is a good time for everyone involved.

I'm watching Northernlion do this on a stream right now and it's the craziest poo poo. More like a Chivalry match than Dark Souls.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

your avatar looks like this
https://zippy.gfycat.com/CorruptAltruisticAmericanratsnake.webm
X crotch tree

thought you'd like to know

Pretty much every time it's safe to attack Dancer, it's when she waves her rear end in your direction after a swing. And I did the fight using a whip. The kinkiest boss fight.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is there a big difference between 30/30 vs. 40/40 int + faith for pyromancy? Those extra 20 points are a pretty enormous investment that I could really use to up my hp and stamina.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is there anything that can cast both sorceries and miracles? It's pretty annoying having to juggle a chime, a staff, and my pyromancer glove. And unlike the dual pyro/miracle item, I don't care much about having low spell power since I only really use sorcery and miracles for utility poo poo like hidden body and replenishment.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The red phantom in Pit of Hollows is nuts. Dude one-shot me, which was very surprising. I go back in and try to get him into a more aggressive stunlock. He parries mid combo and one-shots me twice in a row. I opt to stand back and chuck fireballs. He keeps two-shotting Sirris with parries, which fails the event. Eventually I beat it through sheer luck on a run where Sirris didn't attack very much and thus didn't get chain parried.

Visions of Lucatiel vs Smelter Demon on DkS2's release....

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The Pointiff's a nasty change of pace, I found. Unless you're already intimately familiar with the Artorias and Fume Knight fights, I think most peoples' brains will just shut down when they run up against that rear end in a top hat.

Now I have his rhythm done he's fairly simple, but I still love the fight. Barely have any breathing room.

You have plenty of breathing room if you just rub up against his leg and circle to your right. He has no idea how to deal with it. Just smack him with your straight sword every couple seconds while he slowly turns to face you, and maybe dodge the 1-2 attacks he throws out once in a blue moon.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Huh, I found staying close to him aggro'd the hell out of him. The only way I had breathing room to heal in the first phase was to get out to the mid-range as he was finishing up a combo.

This video sums up my experience fighting Sulyvahn the 3 times I've defeated him. It's even easier with a faster weapon where you can constantly be chipping away at his side/back with no fear of retaliation. You are very unlikely to take damage doing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k-4NrOkBfw

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I think I'm done with this game until the weapons are rebalanced. I don't want to do another playthrough with a 1h sword or axe. Looking forward to checking it out again in a little while. I think a ton of weapons need more than just some damage number tweaks to be worthwhile though which has me a bit worried.

I started up another DS2 run yesterday. It is shockingly slow compared to 3, even more so than I remembered. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

In DS3 I did a whole lot of rushing at enemies and mashing r1 to kill them before they could do anything, because they are easily stunlocked by quick weapons and are too dangerous to get into a protracted fight with. DS2 is a much more deliberately paced sort of deal where I'm trying to bait out enemy attacks and either space them out or dodge them, then go in for the kill during their clear recovery period. Your own recovery frames and estus chugging are also crazy slow even though I've been pumping adaptability nonstop, so I'm fairly cautious about committing to those animations. Can't rollspam anywhere near as much as I could in 3 either, so I'm much more measured in my use of that as well. I think it's a nice change of pace.

I like having a ton of viable weapons to build towards and look forward to, and I like that I can beeline towards them and even use bonfire ascetics to get some special poo poo that I want. Rushed through No man's Wharf right off the bat to finally try out the Greatsword that everybody loves so much, and I'm planning on doing Huntsman's Copse soon because I want to give the Chariot Lance a shot. I like that I've actually been putting points into vitality so that I can use armor that has a meaningful effect on my character. Game has more color than the drab palette of Dark Souls 3 and Majula is so much more inviting than Firelink Shrine. I've always really dug the seaside atmosphere to the first few areas.

The lighting is so loving bad by comparison though, and hitting enemies isn't anywhere near as satisfying. You really smack em around in 3 and it feels great. 3's bosses are generally a lot better too. Even the least impressive boss in DS3 has been more interesting than any that I've re-fought on this DS2 playthrough so far (although 2 does have some cool stuff later). Another thing that I really appreciate about 3 in retrospect is how little platforming it has. All but one of my DS2 deaths so far have been to falling and I am not a huge fan of that.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 24, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Upgraded the dancer swords and I completely take back every bad thing I said about dual wielding in this game.

Were your previous dual wielding issues centered around the dual curved swords? Because someone must have misplaced a few decimal points on those or something. All of the attacks you get are worse in every single way than the basic one-handed r1.

Other dual wield sets are perfectly fine.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I just got to the SOTFS remix of DS2's Iron Keep and I take back everything positive that I said about that game over this one.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

On the other hand, shields are probably less useful in DS3 than they are in any other souls game. Enemies are fast, aggressive, and relentless with their combos. Taking them down as quickly as possible is the way to go; tanking them is going to eat all of your stamina and get your guard broken.

Really disagree with this sentiment. I'm playing DS2 right now and a shield seems 100% pointless because every enemy attack is slow and telegraphed so you can easily dodge it. In DS3, enemies can attack so quickly, suddenly, and relentlessly that having a shield is invaluable for those times that you slip up and can't dodge in time. You still need to primarily rely on dodges, but it is a fantastic second line of defense.

It also greatly trivializes a whole lot of enemies in the game due to the stagger. I found dogs and thralls, for example, to be pretty irritating on my initial shieldless run because they move around so much and dodge out of the way of your attacks. With a shield you can just approach while holding L1, let them stagger themselves on your shield in futility, and get a guaranteed easy kill as they're reeling every single time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Are the carthus rolling rings a trap? Any time I get hit I take huge damage and I can't quite tell how much I'm benefiting.

Any time you get hit in this game you take huge damage no matter what. The ring makes little difference while giving you a brokenly overpowered amount of extra iframes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Are a lot of you guys, or a lot of DS III players, playing on PS 4 or PC?

In any case, I managed to farm an entire set of Lothric Knight kit after I killed one and a sword and titanite shard dropped. It's pretty cool, but drat it's heavy.

Can I really just run with the default armor the whole game and worry only about pumping up my starter long sword? Is there any benefit to using the lothric knight sword I got?

Armor doesn't mean much of anything. Wear what looks cool.

You can stick with the longsword the entire game if you want. Ideally all weapons are supposed to be balanced and you choose one based on what works for your build or what moveset you prefer. In practice the balance is not at all perfect, but you can still use anything and get through the game just fine. The longsword is considered quite strong.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vermain posted:

It is, in fact, possible to make encounters that are so teeth-grittingly frustrating to do that players, if given the option, will simply avoid them. I'm honestly curious to know the proportion of people who made it all the way to that staircase and actually decided to fight thirty Hollows and three red-eye blue tabard Lothric Knights instead of booking it as fast as their little legs would carry them.

Like most tough encounters in Souls games, this one is completely trivialized by only aggroing one knight at a time. The others will keep moving forward because that's what they're scripted to do, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they know you're around.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Actually Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

But it's a few points on each piece so surely it adds up?

Armor is useless in Dark Souls 3 and you should only wear that set if you think it looks pretty.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

My Demon's Souls go-to was the Knight chest with the Thief mask/gloves/legs for a kind of brigand with a breastplate look and I used the Knight chest in Dark Souls 2 (the like chainmail with a red falcon surcoat over it, Falconer) all the time because it looked loving fly

Hell yeah, Falconer's owns. I end up using it on like half of my DS2 playthroughs. Can't get enough of that chestpiece.

Haven't been nearly as big of a fan of DS3's armor selection. It doesn't help that so much of it is off-limits because putting points into vitality to wear the heavier stuff is a complete waste.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I can't decide if whips are absolutely awful or not. Some enemies are incredibly easy to cheese and then the thrall enemies just bust my balls because gently caress the windup on whip attacks.

I'm not looking forward to basically any boss during this challenge run. :shepface: Hey at least Deacons oughta be an easy as hell fight with the whip R2s being a country mile wide.

I don't think they're a fantastic primary weapon, but they're lightweight and good enough in some situations that I like having them in a secondary slot. The 1h R2 is indeed particularly nice with its crazy wide arc and ability to easily kill things through walls.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

pretty sure that I murdered gwyndolin and priscilla with a lightning zweihander and they dissipated into nothingness. aldrich is a fraud

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

my interpretation of the story of the dark souls is that once upon a time, there was a series of large hitboxes that needed to be destroyed so that I could upgrade my halberd to +10

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I forgot how rad these NPC invaders in the DS2 DLC were. They really took a step back with the DS3 ones which are incredibly uninspired.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I kill the katana dude by standing around at midrange to bait out his dashing focus attack thing, which always comes up way short if you aren't moving straight towards him. Don't even need to dodge. Leaves him wide open every time and he keeps repeating it constantly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I played through DS3 once on release and didn't really care for it. Tried a couple more runs immediately after but didn't bother completing them. Forgot almost everything about the game over the years so it seemed like a good time to jump back in to give it another playthrough with the DLC. I found it significantly more enjoyable than last time but it's still my least favorite of the series. A bunch of scattered thoughts:

The amount of bonfires in this game borders on comical. Pretty sure there are places where I could fatroll from one bonfire to another on a single stamina bar. That bit after Wolnir where you have 3 bonfires with a whopping single non-respawning enemy between all of them feels like a parody. I ran out of estus 2 times over the entire game. Once when I cleared the entirety of Irithyll Dungeon without resting, and once on Gael. Might as well just give you infinite flask uses.

Miyazaki must have absolutely loved streamer reactions to people having a slime fall on their head at the start of the Depths and decided to make a game based entirely around that moment. I'm absolutely shocked whenever I pick up an item and it isn't a mimic, an ambush, or the floor falling out from under you.

Friede and Gael were both excellent fights. Demon Prince was fun too. Dancer is still the coolest looking boss in the series.

On the other hand, Midir is possibly the least enjoyable content in souls history. I've cleared every fight in the series, even those 2 loving cats at the end of Awful Snow Hell in DS2, but after dying 4 times to Midir I decided, "nah". Rather just finish the game. It's some of the worst aspects of bad souls bosses combined, with all of their health totals combined as well.

This game was much easier this time around and I think it is 100% thanks to using 2H hammers/axes and fighting aggressively. Going in there with confidence that you will dodge attacks rather than keeping your spacing and being timid works so much better. It's not even necessarily the damage of the weapon, though that can help. It's more about the playstyle.

Like, I accidentally went into the Oceiros fight with a freshly dropped Great Mace +0 instead of my Heavy Great Mace +7 without realizing. The whole time I was thinking "this is it. It's finally happened. Miyazaki has lost his goddamn mind" as I chipped away for 110 damage a swing. Some say I am still fighting him to this day. But I still took him down first try just because that sort of aggressive playstyle works, regardless of how much damage you're doing. My first time through the game I died to Dancer around 30 times. It was awful. This time it took 1 attempt. The only bosses (Midir aside) that killed me more than twice were Pontiff, Nameless King, and Gael, which took around 7 deaths each. A far cry from eating poo poo for hours like I did on Pontiff/Dancer on my original playthrough.

Rolling looks pretty silly inherently but this game takes it to new levels with the amount of rolls you need to spam to avoid attacks. I feel like I'm gearing up for a Sonic spin dash whenever I'm dodging through some combos.

You know what the final DLC to this beloved series needs to give it a proper sendoff? Two loving swamps. Can't wait for more swamps in the DeS remake. I'm all for diversity in the workplace but I think that Fromsoft hiring Shrek as their lead level designer was a mistake.

The input buffer in this game drove me absolutely insane. You dodge an attack a millisecond too late and get hit, which is fine. But your character picks themselves back up and THEN dodges a full 1.5-2 seconds later when you haven't touched anything in the interim. With the speed of this game it is the absolute worst. Nameless King got around 5 kills in to this alone because he never stops attacking, so a forced mistimed dodge means you're just going to get hit again.

Ending felt pretty anticlimactic. You kill Gael and then...nothing happens. Warp back to Firelink and take down Soul of Cinder who is a trivial joke by this point. Here's a 20 second cutscene that's tough to care about.

Despite having generally great bosses, I've come to the conclusion that I don't actually care about boss fights that much which is one of the main reasons DS3 (and Sekiro) didn't resonate with me. I enjoy everything in between much more, and I found most of that lacking in this game. The linearity, the constant bonfires robbing all tension, the 20-hit combo enemies that you need to stunlock before they can stunlock you.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 17, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

In other Dark Souls games, you can come up with fun phrases like "chain's away, no mimics today" to help you discern whether or not a chest is dangerous.

In DS3, the applicable phrase is "it's a mimic".

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I just started a Cinders playthrough as the class that starts with the dark pyromancy glove. I'm sure some of this is exacerbated by going straight from Ringed City to the Undead Settlement, but man is it easy. Blasting fools from across the map with no risk to myself and no need to worry about conserving FP.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is cinders easy to install? I'd like to try it, but I hate installing mods sometimes.

You just drop the contents of a .rar into your game folder. No overwrites required either. Doesn't get much easier.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

central dogma posted:

I've never played modded ds3 but ready to try after having cleared it a dozen times. Is Cinders offline only? I guess I'm worried about getting banned. I assume my concern is unfounded since so many of you recommend it. :chef:

Edit: thanks for the avatar whomever. Haven't posted for a couple weeks so I didn't notice. Cornelius Coot is down for the first Cinders playthrough :devil:

You will get banned if you play Cinders online.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

One of the reasons I LIKE DS2 is because it's easy. I don't actually enjoy dying over and over and don't really get any satisfaction out of the inevitable result of beating something if I smash my head against it enough times. It was cool the first time I beat Ornstein and Smough but I'm pretty over it now. Saying DS2 is bad because it's too hard compared to DS3 is certainly a take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I changed my mind on Cinders being easy. Everything has so much goddamn hp once you get past the beginning. I have a couple +5 weapons that I'm using against Abyss Watchers and each one does like 0.5% damage per hit. I'm playing significantly better against them than I did on my vanilla run (where they were trivial and died instantly) but 6 estus only goes so far in a half hour battle. Genuinely think this is harder than regular Gael or Friede.

There are some things I like about the mod but the health totals on enemies is pushing me towards uninstalling it.