Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda rolled my eyes while actually playing the main campaign at how much titanite i was being showered with, but not gonna lie it’s pretty nice to just like, be able to say “gently caress it” and make multiple +4/9 weapons after Bloodborne giving out cool weapons like candy but having the upgrade system being set up so that you’ll be bathing in blood shards but only enough to get you to +3 when +6 is assumed or +6 when you’re expected to be swinging around a +9/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Being forcibly teleported back to Lothric and in all likelihood getting trapped in the Dancer fight immediately after another boss and without getting to spend your souls is some really janky garbage. I wonder how and why it came to be like that; it feels they couldn't figure out how to connect the first and second halves of the game together and were forced to take the most awkwardly direct way possible.

On a totally different note, it's remarkable how many areas and little setpieces stand out when you go into them knowing they were experimenting with stealth mechanics.

Tbh it’s really more the first 75%, and that includes Archdragon Peak. It’s still like super loving weird that they just don’t force you back to Firelink and have the Firekeeper just tell you to go there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doesn’t the Crestfallen Knight tell you he’s leaving because he can’t handle being around Frampt (and then gets promptly shanked by the New Londo ghosts)? I guess it fucks things up if you manage to beat Quelaag first but otherwise you’re just gonna stumble back into Firelink, see the bonfire out, look around to see what the gently caress is up with the snoring, and then Frampt tells you to hike to Sens Funhouse. Or at least that’s what I rememberS

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Frampt is just so surreal, just this giant serpent that talks like a sagely RPG NPC but with lots of clicking and then he loses his poo poo when he gets too excited making giant serpent noises. It’s one of those little things along with the one punch mushrooms, Patches and the brain suckers in Bloodborne that burp after going ham on your brain that remind you Fromsoft isn’t taking a lot of their game super seriously.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I get the complaints that the world doesn’t feel interconnected anymore but I was pretty happy with DS3 when looking at each level on its own merits, cause honestly a lot of DS1 levels don’t feel as vast and sprawling as a good deal of 3’s, like Lower Undead Burg is just a long corridor with a shortcut to Firelink (admittedly pretty neat) which is only really matched by the endgame version of the tutorial level.

It’s not exactly a fair comparison cause DS3 is a gen later with Dark Souls I and Bloodborne under From’s belt (not trying to diss 2, I just genuinely have no idea how much staff overlap there was) so of course it’s feistier and it’s probably partly because the game can be a long chain of levels and not an interconnected web that has to make sense that makes up the difference.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
poo poo. I didn’t know there was a difference before I gave up, it just seemed like they both did the same moves.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I cheated myself out of the proper Dancer experience cause I fully expected to get dunked on but I did the thing listed above and it was even easier than Vordt.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe it’s conformation bias from running a pyromancer build but it always felt like there were more than a few enemies weak to fire once you hit the swamp. I was actually surprised at how much some enemies just hate being lit up and start spasticity flailing around. Still probably better to throw firebombs at them and go ham with a raw weapon though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Another reason why pyromancy is the magic for Cool Kids and sorceries are for nerds.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, they’re deceptively simple to kill and stay dead so you might as well if only to make Patches salty when he tries to trap you later.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Facetanking with a shield sucks compared to DS1 but that really just makes it situationally useful instead of overpowered against everything but guardbreaking slow lumbering enemies and I guess dark knights/silver sword silver knights if you’re bad at parrying. At least in my experience.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, there’s some stuff like “go back to the tutorial level by doing a sequence of parkour tricks to find a key to the SM64 hidden dungeon” that’s maybe slightly less than intuitive but it’s believable that a lot of people unlocked it by accident by just remembering the statue at the end of the prison and doing the gesture there for shits and giggles.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, enemies are maybe kinda faster but also their poise sucks a surprising amount of the time so even with a raw weapon you can get away with mashing R1 even if your evasive options aren’t as fluid compared to BB.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I used a shield and found it viable, like obviously not as amazing as in DS1 where they’re kinda disgustingly OP but they’re a nice utility option for scouting enemy attacks and avoiding chip damage from weak fast enemies.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The flies are definitely one of those enemies I just chucked fireballs at because gently caress THAT poo poo, you guys are gross as hell.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

non DS2 games don't have a sex change coffin, or a cat that tells you that you smell nice.

Iirc Elden Ring has a sex change mirror and egg that also throws in free sex changes with respecs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

I never got how the Sellsword twinblades are so great. :saddowns:

I like the Zweihander or Claymore for a STR build, and Lothric Sword or Astora Greatsword for DEX or quality builds.

I never used them but from what I can infer by googling they scale frighteningly well with the buff items since it’s a flat +X damage per hit and not +X*%*, and the Winblades let you attack a lot, plus they scale well with Keen infusions so after a while even the base damage is great. Or at least, that’s how I understand it, even as a mage I prefer making an axe or giant sword scale off magic instead of using slender sticks. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

this is very cool. i'd love to know how the biggest legacy dungeon in ER (stormveil, i think?) compares in size to the entirety of DS1

Where does the Haligtree fit on the scale of things? Idk if that stretch from the warp gate till Loretta counts as it’s own thing or part of the whole dungeon but even the second half felt pretty massive.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah yes DS3, a game that cares about balance at all.

Hell I don’t think any FROM game cares about balance really

I wouldn’t say it’s balanced but Elden Ring cares or they wouldn’t have patched in buffs to stuff like colossal weapon stability to make them on par with medium shields and spell casting speed along with the nerfs to OP stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc there’s a message near the start that basically says “you should really at least be at Ithryll”, so being there/past there would probably be a better indication since levels tend to not be a super huge power indication in and of themselves compared to weapon levels.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I beat Elden Ring before DS3. DS3 had a weird difficulty curve for me where I found the bosses fairly easy but the levels pretty hard. I played a dex build, dunno if that had anything to do with it.

Depends, I used a battle axe/hand axe and 1v1 most enemies just get stunlocked to death but I can imagine rapiers/scimitars might not hit the poise damage threshold on everything the way even a lightweight axe would. That said, I found the levels in DS3 just plain tough too a lot of the time. Part of that is being a pyromancer since they take so long to come online but DS3 is just plain less generous/kind than ER. Your healing suuuucks earlygame, and unlike Elden Ring, where even without the “kill overworld enemy formations for a refill” mechanic the seeds scale exponentially so that you’re guaranteed to have a decent amount of charges by exploring a little, you only get maybe one charge per new zone so it takes a lot longer to get to the point where you just don’t care about estus much.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They should have just made thrall statues in every ER dungeon, I hate being ambushed but I still love those hosed up little guys impotently bouncing off my shield or wielding a serrated greatsword like a toddler with a cricket bat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I actually got that one because the ring seemed of dubious utility for a slower build. My STR is already 30, I guess I can try the hammer a bit.

What about the gems? If I use one and don't like the effect, can I change it out or am I stuck?

E: where should I try to get my STR up to before focusing on other stuff? I hit 30, then started pumping things like Vit, End and the other always useful things. I think they are all at 15 and one is 20.

There are gems you can use specifically to purge the prior effect so you’re not like turbo locked in, but gems in general are uncommon drops and iirc aren’t readily buyable so you should have some idea of what you wanna do since you can’t just do the Elden Ring thing of swapping affinities at every save point. I don’t think there’s a lot of incentive to not just go all in on Heavy scaling if you’re doing a strength build though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Started a new save, and maybe it’s just that using a pyromancer is one of the worst starting classes for, but I’m still pretty firmly convinced that the High Wall of Lothric is the hardest, most hostile starting post-tutorial zone in a From game. Every enemy worth a drat can take an entire stamina bar’s worth of attacks and still be alive, doggos are a pain in the rear end, and that’s just after like fifteen minutes going down the right path that’s mostly empty aside from the later shortcut. Also your earlygame healing suucks

Honestly it’s cool though. Gives you that oldschool feeling of tension around every corner that Elden Ring and even Sekiro lacked, and mashing R1 does stunlock anything unarmored so it feels fair if overturned a tad. it does feel a bit frustrating that the roll doesn’t have as much control as the BB side step despite pivoting to more aggressive Bloodborne enemy design, makes dodgerolling into attacks feel slightly finicky.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So are the three games Demon’s Dark Souls I-III, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and the Open World Part of Elden Ring (because otherwise it’s just Dark Souls IV) making up the last half?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone else doing earlygame having problems with the summons timing out? Idk if it’s just a Steam Deck/PC Dark Souls problem (I did my last run on the PS4) or just my internet, or maybe even the international summons being on.

Also maybe the wrong thread for it, but is there any way to make the controller properly show the PS4 inputs if I’m using one?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ugh, thanks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Grinded for the Lothric Straight Sword because the scaling is supposed to be good and it’s one of the best 1H weapons in the game, and this thing…feels really, really good. I guess the dex requirement is a bit steep on a pyro build but I’ll make up for it eventually.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool replaying DS3 after Elden Ring and Sekiro, because a lot of poo poo just plain doesn’t bother me as much. Some of the generic enemies still feel like a bit much in terms of effort, but I’m not really dreading dealing with a lot of stronger ones like I used to, just mildly annoyed when a glowing red eyes giant man with wombo combos shows up. This is still a real good game in general, but I liked it a lot when I played it, which means I remember a lot and kinda wish I could erase my play through of my first run.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol that the Crystal Sage clones have like 1 HP so the cheap as poo poo throwing knives every build can use make them way more manageable than probably intended. Also I remember the watchdog minibosses being a lot harder, I still cheesed one (curved sword guy) but that’s because Muhammed Ali came and almost killed me while i was fighting them. Man, summons are great sometimes, I almost miss how Elden Ring made it nearly impossible to be ambushed by some weirdo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Still enjoying my DS3 replay a lot through the power of “not being a scared bitch” this time. DS3 definitely feels inspired by Bloodborne in a way that goes deeper than gameplay speed, like what the gently caress are these zombies that explode into leech monsters that infect you with leeches? Or these giant babies in the Ithryll Dungeons? And the jailers, not a hard enemy to deal with if you don’t panic but they feel specifically designed to make you do so since they have the poke-grab combo and rapid health drain that makes you want to rush.

Not complaints, it sells the vibe that DS3’s world is falling apart, combined with the Pus of Man and the Outriders among others, just observations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I remember hearing DS3 was supposed to have more stealth elements and yeah, the jailers seem like a holdover from that, especially the small procession right before the Profaned Capital which feels like you’re supposed to sneak past them with sneaking mechanics as opposed to normal skulking.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The messed up part is that that one isn’t even guarding anything especially good, just a large titanite shard I think.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly just being able to press triangle to two hand is weird as heck after ER, and not being spoiled for level ups. I mean, two handing doesn’t have much use on a pyro build since poise seems to be an all or nothing thing with a standard sword where you just mash R1 and the bad man dies or they have Too Much Poise but maybe I haven’t experimented enough. I don’t think poise works the way it did in DS1 where you were guaranteed to stagger an enemy if you did X poise damage in a given swing at any rate but I could definitely be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
General Souls question: how do you guys usually wield your armaments wrt casting items? I’m pretty sure DS3 at least starts you off with your weapon in the right hand and catalyst in the left, but usually when I wanna cast it’s a mutually exclusive option with normal attacking, not something I wanna mix and match, so I just put my pyromancy flame on as my second right hand weapon. I guess that makes using [element] Weapon spells kinda hard but those kinda feel more suited for melee builds that have enough int/fth for them rather than something you’d do with a sorcerer with spells to pew pew the enemy with.

Also, am I remembering the lore right, and the reason the Profaned Capital is so effed up is because they tried making their own version of the Chaos Flame?