Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Johnny Joestar posted:

the bonfire can't be barefoot so miyazaki didn't support it being the thing to level at

I'm sure there's someway we can turn the bonfire into a waifu. we have the technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Finally Miyazaki's true vision is realized.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

I wish 99% of the Dark Souls 2 NPCs had quests! Why won't Chloanne acknowledge the existence of her father even though she's sitting 10 feet away from him!

She does though. She will mention how that hollow in the smith's shop keeps glaring at her. She finds it weird because he sort of reminds her of her father, but dismisses it because she doesn't think her dad would wander out into Drangleic looking for her. Also because her brain is broken and she only cares about dumb rocks. Her dad not making a bigger deal out of his daughter losing it is the bigger issue, but I guess he's not good with confrontation.

There are really only two DS2 NPCs I hate. The stupid map guy is insanely boring and might as well not be in the game. The real rear end in a top hat though is McDuff because he's a complete jerk but you have to keep going back to him because he's the useful blacksmith.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also its totall bullshit that they didn't have Navlaan invade in either of the DLCs.

I want his set :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mazed posted:

My favorite DS2 NPC is Laddersmith Gilligan.

Because he's actually Pontiff Sulyvahn's dad.

It's true.

He made it to Ariandel at some point and fell in love with a Birch Woman. Together they had a beautiful baby, but as she was made of wood, his ladder-making passions were frowned upon, and thus he gave it up after one tragic, albeit spectacular, incident. After some years he finally snapped and ran away, and his young son Sulyvahn, still wide-eyed and innocent, went after him. He finally found him as he lay dying in the Profaned Capital, amidst a madness of ladders assembled in blind fervor. This caused Young Sully to experience loss for the first time, and it turned him evil, so he went to Irithyll and took over, and you know the rest of the story.

This is why a gigantic ladder appears when you kill the screaming Birch Woman guarding one of Baby Sully's spells.

It all makes sense now. Now I understand why Sulyvahn drops the ladder miniature when you kill him on NG+7.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sulyvahn's wings definitely do look like branches, which you could argue is related to overarching theme of DS3 of people turning into trees.

But with the cut content in Ariandel, it seems he's always been a baby birch boy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

So are trees related to chaos or to the abyss?

Neither. They are representative of the Age of Ancients, where neither dark nor light existed and the world was dominated by dragons and arch trees. The fire is fading, and if it goes out completely the world will revert back to this state.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm the guy using a soldering iron.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I hate invasions in DS3 because of how fast Estus heal, if I can't burst them in one combo they're gonna be back to full a moment later while I regain my stamina, turning the fight into a boring endurance match. Fight clubs outside of Pontiff's crib are cool because everyone seem to respect the unwritten "no Estus" rule.

Hey you can hit them with a lloyd's and then deal with them spamming roll for a full minute instead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I've beaten the firsttwo bosses. They drop these big souls that can be consumed for the level-up currency. Is it safe to do this?

I'd say keep them. Even if you have no intention of using them to make weapons, the amount of souls they provide isn't that huge. You could grind for 5 minutes and get the same amount. Might as well keep them in case you ever decide you want something made from them for whatever reason.

hanales posted:

One of the areas DS2 shined, disable healing for phantoms and invaders. Made things move faster and also made warmth useful.

Warmth would still be useful in DS3 if it didn't heal at a pitiful rate while taking 2 slots and requiring 25 faith. All its really good for is trolling hosts in the Spear fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its way more selfish to think you should be able to opt out of invasions because that would gently caress them up for everyone else.

VVV No its proof that most people are just giant cowards

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 17, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

No Wave posted:

"Everyone else" being an incredibly loud and whiny 1% of the player base who spend hundreds of hours gearing up for PvP and optimizing their SL to have fair fights against players on their first run through the game.

Yeah the invaders are the ones whining as opposed to the people that are complaining about not being able to run away from a game mechanic :rolleyes:

Also if you think every single invader is hyper-optimized PvP build you haven't fought many.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Johnny Joestar posted:

dark souls pvp has always been a dumpster fire and if i really wanted to kill other people in a videogame i'd probably just play a game that's set up for it and isn't just an esoteric collection of lovely hitboxes and weird nerd e-bushido

The mechanics behind it have always been a janky mess but its a completely unique experience. There really aren't many other games that can put you against another player in an uncomfortable situation. Being able to fight another person almost anywhere using a huge variety of weapons adds a lot of excitement to the game to me. You can do some really interesting and creative stuff with builds too (though it varies in effectiveness compared to just spamming R1 with a straight sword).

Now as for honorable arena PvP I've never seen the appeal of that In Dark Souls. When you take out the random elements of invasions I lost all interest in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

I'm sorry I keep posting this video, but look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE&t=20s

This is the "game mechanic" people want to avoid. How on earth do you rationalize that people should be subjected to that in an otherwise good and fun game? How on earth do you rationalize calling people who want to opt out of this loving mess "the real selfish ones"?

Because if its always like that for you then the problem is on your end. Forcing people to actually deal with invaders is part of the appeal because you don't just get hyper tryhard fights constantly. Plus it means you might get invaded in a situation where you are at a disadvantage. If you let people opt out of invasions then a bunch of people would turn them off or put them off when they aren't at 100% optimal fight conditions. Then you get less players for invasions, which discourages people from invading in the first place. And then you get more invasions against gank squads too which encourages the people that do invade to go hyper tryhard builds otherwise they get their rear end kicked. Which fucks over the people who actually leave invasions on for fun, since now there's less build variety.

So yeah, I am gonna call you selfish for thinking its fine to screw over an entire part of the game just because you personally have a problem with it due to your crappy connection. If you want to engage with the online elements of the game, then you need to have decent internet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

They are though. Invaders lost their poo poo when the game skewed the invasions towards players with summons and let people use Giant Seeds. Invaders didn't stop bitching and moaning about it until the recent patch that made giant seeds last less than second. They still cry about gank squads and use that as justification for gearing characters up with end-game gear and invading new players in the high wall. Because ;_; WHAT IF I INVADE A GANK SQUAD, IT'S NOT FAIR TO ME. The invasion loving fanbase of the game have always been whiny bitches.

If you honestly think seeds of the giant lasting 2 hours was a good thing then you're a joke.

Not gonna say there aren't people that complain about how lopsided invasions in DS3 are but people whining about dying to an invader have always been way more vocal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

And Tyler Too! posted:

I guess I haven't found the guy yet. Time for some backtracking!

He's standing on the side of the central throne in Firelink. He'll give you some cracked orbs. To start the quest to get the full orb you have to return after he gives you the orbs with a pale tongue in your inventory.

number one pta fan posted:

I tried invading for the first time in Dark Souls 3 (with it being a defining feature of the series) and I was really disappointed that it was skewed so heavily towards players with (several) summons. I generally don't summon and I've had one single invasion. I played Dark Souls 2 on Xbox 360 six months ago and I got invaded more there.

That's because DS3 heavily weighs invasions towards players that have summons present. If you don't play with summons then invaders are a lot less common. I'd rather they just weigh everyone equally. I barely ever get invaded unless I use the finger.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'll never get why people call it a shuffle and not a slide. Shuffle implies movement but they are just idle-posing across the map.

Hey Tallgeese, do you know why that happens? Cause I'm pretty sure it didn't happen in either DS1 or DS2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maleh-Vor posted:

Why do Harald Knights hit invaders even if there is no seed active? Seems like kind of bullshit to be dealing with 4 phantoms and still have to watch out for stray swings.

Because From is lazy when it comes to coding.

See, there are some enemies in DS3 that can friendly fire with certain attacks. Usually its huge enemies like the giants where it makes sense for other enemies to get squashed by their massive blows. There's also some cases where its just thematically appropriate; the grave wardens in the Cathedral have friendly fire on some attacks, which causes them to cut up those mindless hollows while trying to get you. Its a neat little detail From put in, but it fucks over invaders because the game doesn't distinguish between regular enemies and an invader. So even though these enemies will never target you without a seed being active, you can still get clipped by their friendly fire moves. Its pretty stupid and I highly doubt From intended to screw over invaders with this mechanic. They don't care about changing it either though.

I've been on the receiving end of an OHKO from a Harald knight after killing all of a host's phantoms :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sum Gai posted:

Of course, "look at the surface level" and "no meat to the imitators" describes the whole Dark series compared to Demon's Souls, too, really.

Whoa that's a take hotter than Flamelurker! :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Johnny Joestar posted:

dark souls invaders can't instakill people with a single swing of their giant scythe the size of 3 people put together, so, no

Through the wonders of hacking that is perfectly possible!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People usually point towards the Tower of Latria when it comes to atmosphere in Demon's Souls. Probably because its the part of Demon's Souls from references the most in their later games, intentionally or not. I think it has really good atmosphere and I like the Shrine of Storms as well, but I wouldn't call anything else exceptional. In fact I think Stonefang Tunnels is really goddamn boring. Regardles I don't think even the best parts of Demon's Souls are better than other parts of the series.

The only modern From game I honestly think stands above all the others when it comes to atmosphere is Bloodborne. They did such an amazing job there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From generally works with a subdued color palette but they know how to use it properly. The 3 Dark Souls games all use color just fine in a variety of areas.

Demon's Souls does look very dreary but that's absolutely intentional. The antagonistic force in Demon's Souls is a murky, colorless fog swallowing up the land. The areas you visit are lands that are either in the process of being consumed or already have been. So for everything to have a dreary and washed out appearance makes perfect sense.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I once was browsing streams and ran across a guy who had a ridiculous ritual every time someone subscribed. He would make a big speech, pull out a miniature gong, and then bang it several times while screaming "WELCOME TO THE BROTHERHOOD!!!".

Just some perspective for if you think Lobos pays too much attention to subs while streaming.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Uncle w Benefits posted:

You should try experiencing it yourself, instead of judging it vicariously ;)

Donate a PS4 and I will gladly play Bloodborne :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pontiff Knights have zero poise so any weapon will stagger them. They are a case where unrelenting offense is better than defense since its easy to just chain stun them to death. If you try to play defensively they can catch your rolls a lot or break your shield with combos.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Zombie Guy posted:

The most consistently dangerous enemy was the torch hollows in the Depths of DS1. That charging torch spam attack always caught me off guard, did tons of damage, and would stagger you even in full Havel gear.

Weapon art of the Follower's Torch should of just had you flail wildly like they do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grouchio posted:

So if you've finished the Ringed City and Ashes of Ariandel DLC after New Game+ there's basically nothing left to do - is what I've heard, right?

Well there's always trying a new build...or PvP :unsmigghh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just an enemy they didn't have time to finish properly. Lost Izalith is where they ran out of time and had to cut a ton of corners.

Honesty I'm surprised Centipede Demon is such a decent fight considering how awful everything else there is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

It's very good. Interesting world and unique combat with the usual Souls-esque game level design intricacy. Lots of weapon variety and no reliance on gating the game's difficulty behind what level your character is.

"interesting world"

Its the most generic looking scifi game ever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If the Surge has anything interesting going for its setting it sure hides it well. I spent several hours watching people stream it and all they did was beat up machines and mech-zombies in grey hallways and occasionally outside in a different ruined area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

I have never experienced or seen grapples as bad as ds2 grapples in any other souls game

also see:

This particular one is a problem in DS3 too. The mimic's grab hitbox is atrocious and has picked me up when I'm standing behind them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

I would love to see footage/gifs of hitboxes as bad as the ones I have posted and be proven wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XFBm4r0gM

Favorite Dark Souls grab video.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

That's definitely very strange, but either a latency issue or an issue with not registering just one hit. The grab on the host itself is fine.

She plucks him out of a roll because the actual grab doesn't line up with the animation. Then the game magically warps him in front of her. Not sure how you can think that looks fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

I don't really know what you mean, he gets caught during his vulnerable frames because he rolled too early. Switching positions at the end doesn't really matter when he still got hit by the visual part of the attack(her arm), unlike the stuff posted earlier where ex: pursuer's sword isn't touching him. He rolled in the direction the arm was moving, even.

To me it doesn't look like the end of his roll is getting caught. It looks like he rolled too late, with the frames on the grab starting before the animation actually suggests. When his roll gets canceled he is still in the middle of it and I'm pretty sure you still have i-frames at that point.

The Dancer's grab is something I've seen a lot of people complain about being wonky as hell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shear Modulus posted:

Are the npc summons in this game like the ones in 2 where you have to summon them to do quests?

No. I think there are three instances where you get summoned into an NPCs world to help them, but I assume you're more concerned with screwing up an NPCs quest because you beat a boss without summoning them. There's nothing like that. The only thing summoning specific NPCs for boss fights does is give you some emotes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dark Souls would be better off if it didn't have stats or RPG mechanics at all and were just about your gear.

You'd need something to make up for the pain of losing your souls because that's an important part of the experience but I'm sure people could think of something.

Actually it would be significantly worse because it would make builds far more homogenized. Also tying all stats to gear means that fashion souls would suffer a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah DS2 is a good example of why you shouldn't do that. It has tons of awesome fashion pieces but so many players used gear that looked awful together because of the bonuses they gave. Pretty much every mage wore that ugly rear end dishrag hood and I HATED IT :byodood: