Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Been avoiding this thread like the plague so as to avoid spoilers. Went into this one completely blind. Lackluster start, I gotta say - but it just keeps getting better from Crucifixion Woods on.

So some questions:

- am I wasting titanite by leveling up my Sorc Staff?
- are the keys in Dungeon of Ihrhrhrhyryhryhryh broken? or is the guide just wrong? I couldn't open ANYTHING until I got the Jailer's Keyring.
- is Pyro as OP as I think it is as the start of the game? In previous games you were limited to 8 casts of Fireball. Now you start with Fireball and Combustion until you run out of FP. I chumped the Katana dude by Firelink like a sissy.
- I made friends with the Giant in Undead Settlement, which according to what I've read makes him stop firing arrows, but he definitely kept firing them. Did I miss something? I finally had to murder him cause that poo poo was getting annoying.

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Also - is it me or does this game seem much stingier with souls than previous games?

Perhaps it's the fact that you don't get souls as a reward for co-op, but it seems like my usual technique of "get damage stat to 40 ASAP" takes a LOT longer in this game.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Zaphod42 posted:

I said this before but some goon swore up and down that I was wrong. I don't honestly know at this point :shrug: He probably screwed up the bonfire thing too.

Yeah he's definitely a great guy, too good for this dark world. :smith:

The guide agrees that it is in fact true. The hardcover guide book - not some wiki poo poo.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Genocyber posted:

That doesn't mean anything, dude. The guide gets a lot of poo poo wrong.

It gets like stats n poo poo wrong, but I doubt it would get a HUGE point in a questline wrong like that.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Is there some requirement to join the Darkmoons? I found the covenant NPC, but the only option I get is "Do Nothing".

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm disappointed but for rather different reasons. The lore in DS3 is fine, I just object to the fact that I bought a Dark Souls game and feel like I got Bloodborne 1.5 instead. I didn't want a Bloodborne game, I wanted a Dark Souls game, and DS3 doesn't really build on the appeal of DS1/2 at all for me.

Which is to say, exploration and diverse character builds.

This is an odd complaint to me. It feels almost exactly like DS1 to me with the exception of parry timing, which I still haven't figured out. For DS1 I was parry all day errryday, but I can't quite seem to get the timing in this one. It feels NOTHING like BB to me - as evidenced by the fact I fired up BB last night for the first time since DS3 came out and everything felt all weird, timing-wise.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I think I am missing something. I have Watchdogs Covenant equipped, and I see the symbol flashing white - which I assume means I can be summoned to defend, but how do I actually do it?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
My new favorite goofball thing to do:

summon two bros for a boss fight, then Toast. Refuse to move until they have both sat down and will Toast with me.

"brothers! Let us drink to our imminent victory!"

Some people get it right away, others I assume don't have a sense of humor. :v:

Goofball thing #2:

Finish a tough boss fight, then Stretch Out. :haw:

So question:

how are the fist weapons for PvE? My fisticuff run in DS2 was just about the only run of that game I really enjoyed.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

What build are you running, homes?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Blaziken386 posted:

When their AI and tracking doesn't break, it's a pain in the rear end. gently caress those bird monsters.
e:

The entire point of dart is for pulling enemies without triggering their mates. Which would be much more useful if you could actually aim sorceries without the lock-on, but whatever.

Look at this n00b who can't aim sorceries with the binocs.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Control Volume posted:

Alternatively: bring a +6 bow and plink away at the first dragon and the second one "dies" at the same time

Spells also work. Did it just last night on my Sorcerer. I shot at the left one - they both died.

Edit: wrong dragon. Also: aim with binocs.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So is Link The First Flame the trigger to start NG+?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I've never thought the problem with the PvP metagame was Poise or Min/Max'ng or whatever - it's simply that playing with pubbies is universally terrible, across any game or game genre.

The only times I have had a lot of fun during Souls multiplayer are:

- being a Christmas Darkwraith in DS1 (run around opening shortcuts and dropping items - and maybe killing the host or maybe not, depending on whether or not he tried to kill me)
- Goon Fight Club in DS1 - because hey - no pubbies - or very few at least. Which meant nobody was playing cheap, people were trying out fun, ridiculous ways to win, and everyone was cool.
- anytime I have invaded/summoned and something hilarious or ridiculous happens. I was invading Anor Londo in DS1 and ran up the shortcut stairs and found the host and a summon on the narrow bridge leading into the big room. They were both wearing no armor save for the Sack, carrying no weapons in hand, and doing synchronized "can't use item" gestures. So of course I did the fun thing: stripped off armor, donned my Sack and joined them. After a few "can't use"s, I dropped a coupla humanity, Jumped for Joy and crystaled out. Because that was hilarious and fun and a nice change from dealing with gank squads or cowards who just sprint for the boss fog.

I'm never out to "win" in multiplayer, because a single look at the Hall of Fame books will quickly reveal nothing but obvious cheaters in the top spots. SL120 with 99 in all stats. Uh huh. So since I'm never gonna make that board, I'd rather just have fun - and for me - that means avoiding pubbies. Because ew - pubbies. The "arms race" aspect bores me to tears as well. Someone discovers a HavelDad build, then it's nothing but HavelDad's until someone finds a good counter, then it becomes "generic build #2" until someone counters that. *yawn* One of the best things about the game is that you can beat PvE at SL1 - which means it's almost solely dependent on the skill of the player. It's too bad that doesn't extend over to PvP. Like - facing a variety of builds as opponents, All +10 weapons should be roughly equal. Of course you're going to find specific builds problematic - like if someone is built out specifically to counter your particular weapon (for example, a Rapier probably SHOULD lose against a Greatshield user)- but for the most part, it'd be more interesting if two players, assuming equal skill, could win/lose with any weapons.

I realize that's probably near impossible to balance and is completely a pipe dream, but there it is. Instead we get "spam R1 with a straight sword or a rapier" which will be every invader you see until someone finds a counter, then we'll be on to the next generic build.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every time someone posts "balance is impossible, there's always an optimal build" I wonder what kind of poor, deprived gaming life they've lived. Like, have you never played a good multiplayer game? What happened to you to make you think that "lovely balance" and "total homogeneity" are the only possibilities? It's possible to do better! :unsmith:

No - I definitely have played good MP games. I'm saying Soulsborne is NOT one. I think the ones that do it well are focused on MP, and that's clearly not the focus here. It's an add-on to the single player game for the most part, not the end-all, be-all.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

il serpente cosmico posted:

Doh. I meant scraping spear :)

No. gently caress you. Seriously. No.

Fight me. Kill me even. But don't come in just to break my poo poo and leave like a coward.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Taking a crack at a SL1 run. Just reached Abyss Watchers before taking a break. Had an odd stumble at Crystal Sage, of all things. I think I was just getting greedy at the very end, thinking victory was in reach. Took me 6-7 tries. Everything else has been <3 tries. Got Vordt in 1, and Stray Demon in only 2.

Using a Raw Broadsword +3 currently. Spending most of my money on resins and firebombs. Trying to go shieldless as well, so I'm offhanding a caestus for parrying.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

lite_sleepr posted:

When i was invaded I used a white branch and hid as a sprig in a copse of trees in the great swamp lol

I hope I made that oval office mad

I was PurpleBro invading last night in Cathedral and that level is so huge the odds of you spawning anywhere near the host are super low. I looked all around for him, and couldn't find him, he summoned two more phantoms after I invaded, but I was nowhere near the Chapel bonfire so didn't run back there. After about 10 minutes of looking for him, I noticed he hadn't opened the last shortcut yet, so I just went by the big altar in front of the boss fog, White Branch'd into a big statue and waited.

And waited.

I started reading a book on my Kindle. A phantom died.

Kept reading. Another phantom down.

Kept reading. Close to 10 minutes total now. Then:

DUTY FULFILLED

Heh. I never even saw him. Probably could have kept an eye out and not wasted the white branch at all.

I did have a question, tho. Why didn't the shackle pop when the first phantom died? When I invaded it said "Kill the host or 1 phantom" so when the first phantom died I figured it was over. Was it because I didn't kill him directly or something? That can't be right.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Kild posted:

the DLC should let us kill Gwynevere and Ocelotte. Put an end to the loving gwyn family

A Gwynevere fight could be so good/tragic if they did it right. Could do a nice throwback to Demon's Souls and Maiden Astrea.

Instead of Garl Vinland, Ocelotte tries to be his mother's protector, then after you defeat him, Gwynevere takes up his arms and makes a feeble Sif-below-10%-health attempt at beating you, all the while begging you not to kill her. Like she can barely swing his sword with both hands, and any offensive spell she has is really weak, since she's all about healing, etc.

:(

They'd have to contrive some reason why you have to kill her, but make you feel like an absolute dick when you do.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Babe Magnet posted:

:words: about PUNCHING ALL THE THINGS

So I started a fisticuffs PvE run yesterday, mostly inspired by your videos/posts.

Rules for myself were:
- Fist weapons only.
- No ranged option other than throwables - and ONLY to draw aggro. Throwing Knives and Firebombs being the go-tos.
- Pants only.
- Cool mustache.

Here's the build (only planned up to end of NG): https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/6270

The Faith/Miracle stuff was just to have something more to play around with. As of now, I have enough Faith to cast Heal. The Horse ring/Knight Slayer's are to eat as much stamina as possible from enemies. Flynn's because I am only wearing pants, so why not get the bonus for low weight? Still experimenting with rings, however. Not sure what else I will pump after NG. I guess more Stamina will be good, since I can spam L1 until everything dies.

Holy poo poo am I having fun. I've been saving videos of boss fights, but haven't had a chance to upload them yet. I did do the Dancer Glitch to start (I did this for extra health at the start, thinking I would need it - and I sorta did, but I'm confident now I could start and not get hit anywhere near as much as I did at first.)

Progress-wise, I just reached the Catacombs (so no Demon Fist yet...). Caestus is currently Heavy +4, with 36 STR. Seems to do around ~200 for an R1. Slightly less per strike for L1 spam, but see below. Here's some highlights:

- man I am WAY better at dodging now - out of sheer necessity.
- punching distance is awfully close :) This was actually my biggest problem at first - I was just whiffing because I wasn't close enough.
- two-handed L1 > R1. The L1 comes out SO fast compared to R1, so it has been my bread and butter. Not sure what will happen when I get Demon's Fist.
- spamming L1 while two-handing the caestus trivializes all but the heaviest armored enemies, and even with no points in Stamina, I can easily throw 15 punches.
- doubly so for the above if I buff with charcoal resin or any resin a particular boss/enemy is weak to.
- turtling enemies also melt. My first 4-5 punches don't do poo poo for damage, but you can bet that shield is gonna pop out of the way
- the giants in Cathedral went down like sissies. Charcoal resin, spam L1 at their ankles. Probably didn't take two full stamina bars.
- Watchers has been the trickiest boss so far, since they are actually fast enough to roll away from my L1 spam. I can still interrupt 90% of their attacks, tho.
- the Demon above the Watchdogs bonfire is NOT the one you get Demon's Fist for. :( But.....he ded.

So yeah....super fun run. Only thing I do miss is a parry. Once I get Demon's Fist I will see if I like that better while keeping the caestus in my left hand for parrying.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Melanion posted:

You can't assist on a boss after beating it yourself, can you?

Yeah I usually farm up a few extra Embers doing this before I level up after Vordt. Since that fight takes like 2 minutes and is easy as pie. You can rack up 8-10 Embers in like 30 minutes.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So what's the hotness in UGSs?

I had planned a Str build around the Lothric Knight GS, but just figured out I can't get one until I send Greirat to pillage Irythill. I just killed Crystal Sage, so am still super early. Can either do the swamp or Cathedral next.

Str is currently 30.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Nameless King or as I like call it "unable to summon phantom King"

Anyone wanna come help me out? I have helped others win at least 10 times now, but I can't get a single summon.

Edit: I am 79/+10

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

homeless poster posted:

i can't be the only person who attacks every chest exactly once, no matter what, even if i know based on replaying the game, that it's not a mimic, right? i feel like random mimics wouldn't make any difference, unless they could randomly be things like bonfires or crates or trees or truly a random assortment of things.

I just look at the chain, and hit the chest in the rare event I can't see the chain.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Filthy Hans posted:

I cheesed him with the Dragonslayer Greatshield, still need to try beating him properly. Does he bleed?

Can confirm he does bleed. Takes maybe 5 hits to proc with a +10 Uchi and Carthus Rouge. That's assuming you can get off 5 hits in rapid succession, so more like 6-7 hits in actuality.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Internet Kraken posted:

The only reason Nameless King can be considered harder than the Champ is because he can't be parried and has a first phase that will waste your resources. The Champ is wayyyyyy harder to straight up fight, his combos are ridiculous and brutal.

Nameless King just has some weird timing on his swings you have to get used too, and the only hard part of that is loving up requires killing his stupid dragon again.

Do people consider the Champ hard? I figured he was basically the first Grundyr fight with some extra moves designed to punish what you thought you learned the first time. Only took me two tries.

Nameless King is over 20 tries and still counting.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Anal Surgery posted:

I have 4 characters going right now with some ideas for a few more, but I wish there was a super hard hidden shortcut down to Farron's or something. Like, some crazy-rear end jump from Lothric that would take you straight to the demon on the bridge and down to the Watchdog. Think about it, it would ridiculously hard to try to sprint through Farron's as a SL10 wimp. High risk, high reward, much like sprinting straight to Tomb of the Giants or 4 Kings was.

Howabout it, DLC???

Farron's was easy enough to sprint through on my SL1 char. no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it on SL 10.

The Abyss Watchers fight took a few tries, but even that wasn't that bad.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Deified Data posted:

Need a non-cringeworthy Souls podcast for the gym. Any recommendations?

I think Bonfireside Chat is pretty much the only non-cringeworthy one out there, afaik.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Angrymog posted:

Would be nice if purple phantoms could help with the boss too - would really add another smidgen of doubt to the proceedings.

As it stands at the moment, a purple phantom is going to murder someone. If you look weak, it might be you.

That said, I really enjoy being a purple summon because you never know quite what you're going to get - a gank squad? Someone desperate for help? Someone just taking a chance that you won't immediately turn on them?

I like summoning PurpleBros to see if I can convince them to help me via gestures and generally being non-threatening. I expect betrayal eventually, but it's fun arriving at an uneasy truce before then.

Best was one I summoned after pontiff. Helped me clear everything out and we fought off two RedBros together. We go down to the Aldritch Covenant area, aggro one of the doggators and PurpleBro was ahead of me going up the ladder. Right as I was about to plunge attack off - he kicked me off. :v:

Hilarious and awesome. Perfect PurpleBro. "hey friend! we've been buddies for the last 20 minutes! you can trust me! ..... *kick* lol later, shitlord!"

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Atreiden posted:

yeah, I wish more of them had reactions to you advancing the story, like new dialogue when you kill one of the lords. At least have Ludleth, Emma and the fire keeper react to that, since they are the ones who want you to go link the fire. Al so Grairat should have a reaction to Patches showing up.

I think you are right. But it's mind boggling if they still haven't realised that that have never been true for their player-base.

I dunno. I'm not entirely certain WE are their playerbase, or at least not the majority of it. I have maybe 2 other friends who play Souls games, and they are SUPER casual about it, and they DO play pretty much like "ooh! a cool thing! I will use this cool thing until I find a cooler thing!" They don't min/max, they don't plan out builds in advance, and they definitely don't set up characters specifically for PvP.

Seems kinda like we are the diehard, super serious players who actually CARE about squeezing every bit of efficiency out of a character, and are always trying to improve skills at creating builds, or trying different weapon upgrades or finding out how a covenant works, or simply just playing the game.

The grand irony is that we all sit here and gripe about how From did this wrong or right and should have done this, but I'd guess 90% of our complaints likely will only ever affect 10% of the players, and it's not like From isn't doing something right, since the series is a "hit" by nearly any measure of the term.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BurritoJustice posted:

What's the higher soul level multiplayer community like? I am soul level 120 in NG+ right now, and while I am not a PvP player, I love the various multiplayer interactions of dark souls. In DS2 I levelled my character through NG+7 and just kept levelling up, because past 12m soul memory you got matched into one big pool of players. Ideally I want to be able to do the same thing in this game, but I don't want to level myself out of range of invading/sunbroing/darkmoon/aldritch etc. I'm sitting on a ridiculous amount of souls right now because I don't want to level up a bunch and gently caress my character.

Well apparently there's a problem with Poise?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

this is in fact the only news that this thread cares about

It's actually not news, at least not new news. That's just a writeup of the same Kotaku info we already had.

I'm still not entirely sure what the fuss is wrt Poise and PvP. PvP has always been about people finding ONE gimmick that works, then you never see anything else until someone finds a counter for it, then the next gimmick comes along and it repeats ad nauseum.

So now the gimmick is "spam R1 with a straight sword". Eventually it will be something else. Plus we still haven't had a "big" balance patch yet, and that has been part and parcel for every previous game.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Digirat posted:

I just started black crystaling out before they got to the boss door after I decided to humor them once and saw the nonexistent amount of damage my lvl 18 piss wizard was doing, before getting one shotted because of base sorcerer vigor. What are these morons expecting will happen. The signs are in front of vordt for a reason.

If I get summoned in for Dancer and someone also has Sword Master summoned I will stick around and just dodge like the host does while Sword Master does the thing.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Started up a Whip/Pyro character last night, and since I haven't made it to Cathedral yet for my first whip, I figured I'd Raw up an rear end and use it till I got the Whip. Man - y'all weren't kidding about that thing being OP. Even in PvE, spamming R1 wrecks EVERYTHING. And it's only +1.

In other news, I learned that the Dancer glitch still works even if you screw it up a few times, because I kept dying in an assortment of stupid ways before finally being successful at it - including a quick combo landing as I was trying to get to Quit Game on the menu. You can also summonbro for Bort to get embers. As long as he's still alive in your world, you're good. The initial set of dodges for the Dancer becomes tricky, since when you start the fight from the fog gate instead of the altar - she's gunning directly for YOU until Sword Master finally gets in there and lands at least one hit.

Pretty sure I have never before conveyed the phrase "raw up an rear end and use it" :v:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SpazmasterX posted:

Been doing a mostly INT build for funsies. Nameless King is not fun when you have barely enough HP for most of his attacks and not enough for the rest of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmfYSFn6Gw

Heh. Near the end there, I could see you didn't have enough FP to cast Soul Spear, and I was sitting here shouting "drink! drink! drink!" because I know how bad the "unable to cast" animation has screwed me over. Then I got all :ohdear: when you tried to cast and couldn't.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

GulagDolls posted:

lets make our own wiki.

We had one for DS1. I just came across the files. The problem is: not enough contributing. In the end, there were maybe 3 people who contributed with any regularity, and another 5-6 that wrote like 1 thing.

A wiki isn't much good if most of the information is missing.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So any of you Pyro types got a tip for beating the Fire Demon on the way to Smoldering Lake?

My Fire Orbs which do 300-400 to everything else are barely tickling him. I know I could just run past him, but gently caress that.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Anyone on PS4 wanna trade for Shackles? We can just invade back n forth with a password. I'm just tryna get my Pyro cheevos. I am 71 by the Pontiff's bonfire

PSN: Monkrocker

Message me.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm down if we can get tongues the same way.

I can't think of why not. What's the reward for Fingers? miracle or sorcery?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

HaB posted:

I can't think of why not. What's the reward for Fingers? miracle or sorcery?

Internet Kraken posted:

They get the obscuring ring at 10 and a worthless catalyst at 30.

Oh cool

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm down if we can get tongues the same way.

Yeah I'm down. Shoot me a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Can someone on PS4 drop me an Izalith Catalyst?

PSN: Monkrocker

I am at High Wall and super low level