Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Szcwczuk posted:

For the whiners about pvp in this game, this is basically who you are siding with:

He summoned 2 instantly when I invaded. I was able to kill his 2 protectors and then he cut the cord on me.
But what if I whine about people instantly summoning two protectors?

Also, hi, I finished my first playthrough yesterday and it loving owned. I'm now running down a checklist of poo poo to do before crossing over to NG+, but I plan on getting all rings anyway so I'm not gonna sweat it too much. I was really surprised when it turned out that my mad farming for Tongues to get the third Covenant rank was completely pointless as there are no third ranks for covenants. Oh well, at least I got maybe better at PvP? Though I still don't like it nearly as much as in DS2. Which is a shame, as it is far easier to get access to all forms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Szcwczuk posted:

I don't care about that. I even said that but whatever. I'm mad he pulled his cord on me after I killed his 2 shields. I guess play the way you want but if you want easy mode play offline and only ever go online for boss doors.
I was just joshing you. Mostly remarking that there is more than one way to whine about PvP :D. I also got the cord pulled on me a few times, which really surprised (and angered) me as it never happened in DS2 (or at least I didn't notice/the guy had lagged very heavily before anyway).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Strange, Blue Sentinels has worked for me far better than it ever did in DS2, even right after launch. There are just far more invasions in DS3 in general because guess what, attaching a reward for success makes people more likely to want to do them not just to be a dick. What didn't really work was Watchdogs, but that was at a time where I was going crazy with exploring everywhere and leveling up, so it's not really surprising.

I also get a bluecop almost every time I invade myself, so it can't be that noone is running around as Way of the Blue. Is it possible to switch to it after you see that you get invaded, and you can still get assistance?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I haven't used it at higher levels much, but I think the hollowslayer is deceptively good. The 'C' scaling was better for me than 'A' scaling on my sellsword twinblades and it seems to do decently with strength, too. And the moveset is excellent for a greatsword. Don't be fooled by the flashy HEMA stances, it's quite practical. The weapon is best used two-handed and really favors the light attacks. You can poise through just about anything, even hits that would pancake you normally, during a large portion of the animation. Your attacks use very little stamina for their impact and the third hit comes out very fast, so you do more damage than you'd expect if you can pull off a long combo.

I gave up on the dancer's enchanted swords and respecced to use another weird weapon - the golden ritual spear. It's actually quite good! The spear itself is short and doesn't do a huge amount of damage (but it's only +4 and at 45 faith and the damage is still scaling aggressively, about 4 points of damage per point of faith), but it has very low stamina usage and it is quite strong as a catalyst. I saw someone on reddit say it's only slightly weaker than the court sorcerer's staff when maxed out at 60 faith. It has low physical requirements, so the int investment sucks, but isn't unmanageable and you have access to top tier miracles as well. Plus, being able to combine spear pokes with flashsword slashes is cool as hell. It requires such steep stat investment that it could hardly be considered a top-tier weapon, but if you don't mind not putting a single point into vitality or endurance (feasible since rolling is so cheap and both the flashsword and the pokes use very little stamina) then it's a lot of fun.
I tried the "R1 and Flashsword" combo with the Immolation Tinder, that's also pretty fun, but ultimately I settled on various Greatswords. Most of the game I had Executioner's because it's just really good in general, fast, breaks poise like a motherfucker, great damage especially on the charged R2s, the FP gain is just a little bonus. Then Dragonslayer's because it looked good on paper and I was amazed that even though it has elements on it, it could be infused AND enchanted, with Crystal Magic Weapon it's a force to behold. But I think the most fun I had with the Moonlight Greatsword. It's really quite versatile and even with average Int (32), all of its special attacks do serious damage. And it itself, too. I beat the final boss first try with it after a number of losses with the Dragonslayer GS + CMW, because I felt no time pressure to bring damage in before the buff ran out, because a good L2 is quick enough to apply in some situations and will gently caress the boss up, and because after the big combo and explosion, you can hang outside the range and get a good R2 hit in. Just a really good weapon all around.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I am fine with how the basic Soul Arrows are, their damage is okay for a projectile and with some setup (buff time for steady chant) and wearing all the rings, they're great to clown on some of the harder enemies and I've had good success doing exactly that. I am completely weirded out by how Soul Spear doesn't seem to do any more or even less damage than Great Heavy SA, just for the pierce, I guess???

And even with Good poo poo equipped (okay I haven't gone really high Int + Candlestick yet, but still, both Dragon rings should be plenty) the Homing Soulmasses as well as Pursuers are SUPER TRASH. "less than 100 damage if all Pursuers hit" trash. Mind-boggling. I wonder if you can make them...useable if you really dedicate yourself to pushing the damage, 60 Int and the best catalyst and always buff it, use the Candlestick and wear both Rings, but that seems absurd. I don't get it. I constantly thought I was doing something wrong.

Flashsword is cool, not amazing but fills a nice niche and can be a very nice surprise, and it's fine if it doesn't deal much damage. The swords however, why bother? Both (especially the Dark one, haha) deal less damage than GHSA. Yes, AOE. But still, that's nonsense, they have no range, that's far too much of a disadvantage already.

On the flipside, Chaos Bed Dregs (did I get the name right?) regularily almost one-shots me in PvP. Soooo yeah.

EDIT: Don't miss a good effortpost on Alva, Karla and Zullie on the bottom of the previous page!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mimingless posted:

Ah, are you sure you're counting the damage on the Soulmasses and Affinity correctly? I stopped at 50 Int instead of going to 60 and they're both still pretty drat strong - but I can't test them on the hollows outside Firelink because the first hit always kills them and that hit alone does over 100 damage. In bossfights though, landing all hits of Homing Crystal Soulmass was roughly equivalent to hitting with a Crystal Soul Spear. And Affinity was a big help for Oceiros, resisting magic damage as he does.

As for Greatsword and Edge, they have their uses. Greatsword for the AOE(It was super fun for Deacons!) and both of them for their knockdown. Dark Edge especially - it was my best friend when I got around to killing Tsorig. And Greatsword has the weird niche use of cutting through pillars to the enemy on the other side of them, which I kinda abused in Carthus and the Demon Ruins. :v:

EDIT: I should note, usually run two damage rings but no candlestick, bringing the candlestick out for bosses. Still though with 50 Int my homing spells were very helpful against normal enemies - Crystal Soulmass against the Lothric Knights and Affinity the Cathedral Knights outside Oceiros being what I remember most recently - and I'm pretty sure the Cathedral Knights resist dark! Ah, and the only time I ever bothered with Steady Chant was for weapon buffing.
It might be that there is a considerable difference between my 32 Int and your 50, especially considering that you're ont gonna use the Heretic's Staff anymore at that point. Also, I haven't tested, like, extensively. It just always was really underwhelming. I like how you think with the different applications for spells, though :D.

What I have wondered for a while and always shied away from testing because Twinkling upgrade path is how the Dark catalysts compare. I now have enough Twinks but I still can't do easy testing because Izalith scales with Faith (apparently ONLY for Dark spells, though?) and I have 16 Faith, so unless I get that up to 32 too, I don't think I'll be able to find it out on my own. It's really weird but maybe just their way of sneaking in the DS2 Hex scaling mechanics through the backdoor, as with the "appropriate" staff, you will still need both stats high to deal good damage.
Also, I have heard from a few sources now that there isn't even that much difference between using the dedicated Dark catalyst versus just the best normal one (because, well, that one scales better) so it seems moot anyway unless they adjust numbers. Which is kind of a shame!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Viperix posted:

Interesting. Because I don't want to play a pure sorcerer, but I want to make decent use of sorceries. Is raw+buff enough damage to be viable against late game bosses, whom I intend to fight mostly in melee?
I played through the game with 20 STR/Dex and 30 Int, I would call it a viable build :D. Prepare to be disappointed by anything that doesn't have "Soul Arrow" in the name, though I think the weapon buffs add enough damage to be worth it. I never ever bothered with Resins in a Souls game, so I don't see the point in starting now. Also you can use the Moonlight Greatsword and it's loving great. Also possibly the only reason to use Repair.

Other cool sorceries: Spook is great to get backstabs, Hidden Body for some boss runs, Chameleon of course as fun as always and uh I DID use the Homing spells in some invasions...to flush out other Chameleon users.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mimingless posted:

So the mileage I was getting out of my 15 Faith wasn't very high - the 188 Spell Buff Storyteller's Staff barely outdamaged the Izalith Staff for normal spells, but the effect on Dark spells was very much there. There's a dark-damage boosting element to the Izalith Staff that doesn't care what your Faith is - and it was definitely stronger than the Dark Clutch ring when the gap between the Court and Izalith's spell buff was smaller. Hope that helps out, maybe the gap is smaller at like 60 Int, but Izalith is significantly better for dark spells even at low Faith for me at 50.
Very interesting, thanks for the tests! I am not yet sure what I'll do for NG+, but that certainly would open up a few more fun options. I'd love to specialize in Dark for a change, with the single problem that the specialization might be a little much - after all, while there are certainly enough Dark spells overall, there are not that many Dark Sorceries...though it should still be enough, all things considered.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rafza posted:

if from makes fists decent i'll be the happiest camper ever
Trying out the spin attack for the Demon Fists the first time broke my heart a little :(.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Eldred posted:

Mild boss mechanic spoilers: the "leash" mechanic they put on the clone he spawns made the fight a lot easier than it otherwise would have been. Most of the time I had an opportunity to hit the clone I happened to be hitting the real boss too, to the point where eventually it just wasn't worth it to even try to kill the clone since Sulyvahn's HP was melting
I won really easily by charging two-handed R2s twice as he summoned the clone, which killed the clone immediately before he could even start and also dealt a boatload of damage to the boss lmao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Your normal state is unembered. When you beat a boss you become embered. When you use and ember you become embered.

Your faction symbol octogenarian left of your health will be firey to let you know.

When embered

1. You get 25% bigger health bar
2. You can do coop stuff. Summon Allis from white glowing names on the ground and be invaded.

I reccomend, ember in right outside a boss door if you want help, there is usually a safe spot there where people will drop summon signs and if you DO get invaded just go into the boss fight, the rear end in a top hat can't follow you.
That's a really old faction symbol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DS2 had basically perfect NPC quests in that every trigger for them doing something was "exhaust dialogue" and when they ended up in Firelink, you knew that everything had gone well. It was a little boring and less dynamic, but otoh I'm really not fond of DS1's "play the guess where Siegmeyer went and if you hosed up by killing one too many bosses in the meantime game" bullshit, and also less than fond of DS3 doing exactly the same because apparently, everything that DS2 did was dumb and stupid.

I'm actually curious about the Luck thing. I think I might do a Luck playthrough for NG+, just restat to it and go for it, because I want to get the Hollow ending anyway so I'd have that going for me, but I actually gave away Anri's Sword to a friend and wouldn't have really wanted to use it anyway. But that seems to be THE reason to do a Luck build? What about just Hollow infusing...well, anything? Or should it really be something with Bleed? Can you infuse most Bleed weapons? Does anything else natively scale with Luck except for the Man-Grub's Staff which I don't remember?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Unfortunately even that isn't enough- for example, the siegward/patches quest requires you to go to the end of the COTD level and open the door, then at some point you need to think to return to the first part of the level to actually find Siegward in the well. It's super dumb. Now if the Patches cutscene with him wearing the armor triggered through normal exploration, that would give you a hint, but that cutscene only triggers if you reload the area after opening the doors at the end, and also if you haven't already killed the giant/raised the bridges yourself, which you would if you had explored the area fully before going to the boss.
That can't be fully true, Patches showed up for me trap ready after I had already killed both giants (dunno about the bridges, but probably did pull the levers at some point). He even has extra flustered dialogue for that. Though for my friends he never showed up (anywhere!), and I think they found the path to Rosaria (aka the other side of the Patches bridge) way before I did, so that might be a problem.

Also, I don't know if Patches is supposed to end up in Firelink or wherever else, but for me he was stuck on the Rosaria bonfire side for the entire game. Didn't even expand his inventory to include the ring, but I'm gonna kill him anyway so whatever. Strange though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

I didn't like DS2's NPC quests at all. The ones you refer to aren't really quests--they're "talk to an NPC to get a new vendor in Majula." Then they sat there and did nothing for the rest of the game. Even the stone vendor, who is sitting right outside her father's workshop, barely acknowledges that that's her father, and vice versa. It's just so unsatisfying. The ones that are actual quests, like Lucatiel's, are a huge pain in the rear end because they revolve around summoning NPCs for bosses and making sure they survive in order to progress. If you're planning on soloing all the bosses on your first playthrough, like some people do, you're either going to have to not do that, or accept that you won't complete Lucatiel's or Benhart's quests, which kind of sucks.
I think "perfect" wasn't the perfect (:D) word to use from my end. I do prefer them however, at least for vendors that are actual vendors. The pure convoluted nonsense of the Miracle lady in DS3 makes no sense to me, and I'm glad I didn't gently caress it up completely by just not finding her and the dude after Iudex Gundyrs Bonfire until I looked up stuff following my first blind playthrough. How was I supposed to know that they ended up there? How would I have possibly guessed to NOT speak to her, go back to Firelink, but his Gauntlets and then touch her with them? Insanity. Also, Anri ended up for me on the hill over the first Cathedral Bonfire (not the one inside), also something I would never have figured out (is she ever even NEAR the Cathedral?), then I killed her and got...1000 Souls. How the gently caress is that a sensible endpoint?

Anyway, I'm really glad I didn't go into miracles.

For the Benhart/Lucatiel thing, I was kinda miffed that I had locked myself out of that completely in my first playthrough, but then again, I planned on getting all the poo poo anyway which necessitated NG++ because lol the Bluecops arena. Pretty straightforward in the end, though. If you find her in the hidden cave underneath Black Gulch :D.

I will also have to re-do Abyss Watchers legit because I summoned Sirris, thinking she'd be like Lucatiel when it's actually the opposite. Also fetched her for Deacon, but I don't think I missed much there.

quote:

I agree that DS3's are too obscure, though--or, maybe more specifically, I think they're too time-critical. It's too easy to progress the story too far and then miss out on quest triggers. That said, I love the couple of twists DS3 does on the "summon an NPC for a boss to advance their quest line" thing, because the couple times it happens, you're the one who gets summoned. That owns.

Okay, then there's Siegward, whose "help with a boss" moment is reminiscent of Biorr from Demon's Souls, but he's also helping you fight a gimmick boss, so it stings a bit less that you can't solo it if you want to properly finish Siegward's quest.

The only reason to go for a Luck build is bleed, in my opinion. You can infuse most weapons with innate bleed, just don't infuse them with the Blood infusion (even though it seems like you should)--it doesn't help with bleed build-up that much and nukes the base damage. Go Hollow, or go for a 40/40 Dex/Luck build and go Sharp. Anri's is the one thing that ends up with really great base damage on a pure Luck build, and can still build bleed very well with Carthus Rouge, so it's the other option.
I'll look into Bleed weapons, then. Maybe my first Dagger playthrough with the Bandit's Knife? I'll just put Hollow stones into a few things before transitioning to NG+, got a whole slew of Infusions and other poo poo to do anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I've been stuck on the princes right for about a week now and it's starting to discourage me!!!!!!!

Arghhhh!!!!!!!
Any specific problems? I've farmed my Sunlight Medals for the entire day today with them so I feel capable of giving you some advice.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

Dodging the magic bullets in phase two I guess?

I also frequently can't find him in phase one when he charges up for his hadouken. They really screwed me up with all the changes they made to lock-on in this game.
For the bullets, just run. You see them being cast, just run. Unless he teleports right in front of you, the big guy won't catch you - his swings don't have the range. As soon as the bullets stop, you can start attacking again.

As for the big attack, play with sound. You have fought him enough, you will know from the charge-up sound how close he is to slamming the sword down - dodge accordingly. You don't need to see it happen.

EDIT: definitely, it's better if you dodge to the side. But if you really can't see it coming and start to panic, relax and listen.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 5, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Had a revelation last night: Mound-builders are for people who want to summon someone to invade them as red signs are to people who want to summon someone to duel. Like if you want to fight someone now but without any honorobru baggage that comes from the duelist mentality. Because no one summons mad phantoms to maybe, possibly aid them - the host is ready to fight, the mad phantom is ready to fight, I've yet to see any of the pretense of "maybe they will, maybe they won't" that people associate with this covenant. I wonder if that element was even From's intention, or if it's emergent.
I want to play the game with a buddy now, purple summoning only for the friendly fire

Hey that's actually a great idea

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I poorly explained my problem with the big laser beam. I would hear him start it, turn to find him. Try to lock on, but be too far away, so instead my camera would turn to where I was facing and then I'd be all confused lol

BUT I JUST BEAT THEM AND I'M NOT SURE HOW

The frustration made me extra alert and aggressive i guess, and I also didn't pay attention to the health bars. Suddenly the piggy back prince was on the ground about to heal knee-walker and I took him out with a single two-handed slice of my Hanzo steel.
Congratulations! And yeah just don't lock on haha, I had to figure that out the hard way, too. I think it's actually good that they force you to reconsider "always be locked on", it'll always be better to be flexible (much like it is a good idea to not RELY on shields, but recognize their strengths). It's dumb when they're juuuust out of range, though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Exodee posted:

Why are there so many purple summon signs though. On a fresh character I had nothing but purple signs at the first bonfire lol
They just got the Covenant and want to try it out, presumably!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

a shameful boehner posted:

Is the Drakeblood Greatsword good? It feels like a Claymore combined with a straight sword moveset style and does physical, magic and lightning damage. Sorta gimmicky I guess but I like the idea of a tri-damage weapon.
I use it a lot and have good success with it. Its numbers are higher than most comparable weapons, in the end the damage is therefore the same because of the triple reduction, but it certainly works. Good poisebreak too.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm actually wondering what to do with my Dragon Scales. The boss weapons seem so underwhelming. I don't have the Str (and don't plan on changing that with a reskill) for many, a lot are plain Greatswords with a little twist but I'm getting sick of Greatswords, some I didn't get because I wanted a spell instead, and one is a Bow which might be fine on my build but I will very probably regret it because lol split damage and the Arrows can only be bought NOW and won't be able to be bought for a while in NG+. Any recommendations of stuff I'm overlooking?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Random Hajile posted:

Shield of Want is a really good standard shield that upgrades off scales.
Oh yeah lol you CAN upgrade shields, haha

Seriously, I completely forgot about that fact after my first DS1 playthrough. I used the Shield of Want for 50% of my DS3 time...

RabidWeasel posted:

Hollow / Bleed builds are basically just 'improved' versions of a regular damage build on a bleed weapons. The luck scaling is poor so you're investing those stats mostly into improved bleeding, for actual damage you need regular scaling from str/dex. I personally can't find a bleed weapon I like more than the Carthus Curved Sword, it was one of my favourite weapons anyway on the back of its excellent 2hand moveset and range, and it's well suited to a Hollow infusion.

The only 'pure' luck build weapon is Anri's, due to the mega luck scaling.

They're actually mega bad and I have no idea how people use them, sure they swing fast but the hits are pathetic, the range is rear end, I don't notice them bleeding any more frequently than other fast bleed weapons, and you have to 2hand them. The dual katanas seem potentially a bit better but it's going to take 40/40/40 str/dex/luck for them to reach full power and I'd rather go with something less stat-intensive.
Thanks for this info. I'll start NG+ with the Bandit's Knife because I never knifed before and will farm the CCS before going NG+, maybe that'll be my weapon of choice for PvP!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

Damage and stamina use.

I kind of miss how Dark Souls 1 did the "you don't have enough Strength to wield this effectively" thing, because you got an entirely separate attack animation set with the weapon where your character struggles to heft it and just flails uselessly. It was hilarious.

Funny, but I am so glad it's not there anymore because now I can try out everything from the get-go unless it needs, like, absurd Faith.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

what's it like in opposites world
I just tried it it this evening because a buddy told me the spear is really good against the King himself but against the dragon it does suck, not much damage and it keeps whiffing if the thing raises its head just a liiiittle too high, not a problem with Greatsword swings...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

I mean this is surprising because this is literally the opposite of reality. Though I'll grant that it's hard to actually hit the dragon with the spear. When it does hit though it does really good damage.

NK himself does lightning damage though so it would make sense that he'd resist it heavily. Though a straight sword doesn't seem to fare significantly better.
NK just doesn't get much damage from anything.

Granted my Spear is only +4 because I didn't want to commit, but it deals 200ish damage against the 450 my standard weapon, crystal buffed Drakeblood Greatsword does. And that always hits when I want it to. "Hard to hit with" in a fight where you do need to hit a certain kinda finicky part AND that's in a phase you want to get over with as quickly as possible to have another shot at getting owned by the actual hard part does make the weapon, IMHO, pretty bad.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The problem with Yhorm is not that Stormruler might be too obscure or it might ask too much of you by having to read the item description possibly while he flails at you, the problem is that completely inexplicably Stormruler has that charge time, which no other weapon has. I fought Yhorm like 10 times plinking with the normal stance Stormruler has against his legs, because L2 + immediately R1 or R2 still has a wind animation around the blade, so I thought this is what would make him fall down. I asked a buddy if that could really be the answer and he was like "no it's dumb", and it is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It's cool that you're having fun with fists! I also had my most fun in DS2 with the Caesti, it's good that they still own.

While we're on the subject...
- Anyone else wonder why you get the Claws so late? Because Bleed is now better or what? I didn't figure those would be the "need to be protected by hosed up slime things in one of the post-Dancer areas" items but there you go
- Manikin Claws seem straight better? Need more Dex and maybe heavier (haven't checked), but more base damage and maybe similar scaling?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is there any trick to those fat angel motherfuckers on top of the Archives
"You're invincible while backstabbing "was my method of choice. Also the roof is big enough to separate them so that you have to fight two at once at most. Careful pulling with ranged attacks is of course also advised.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, I had that happen too. Host that keeps running like a bitch from me and another Faithful, and when we do clip him he takes like 60 damage? :cmon:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Aw yeah I beat the final boss (Nameless King ofc), time to get everything ready for NG+!

Never doubt the Greathammers.

The hardest part is over already, because I farmed the loving ears (while waiting for Aldrich summons). 30 shields, 85 helmets, 61 armors, 81 gloves and 59 leggins. I'm sure someone is plugging this into a statistics table right now.

Now to see that I didn't miss anything else important...and to plan for what paths to take and which NPC quests not to gently caress up in NG+ :negative:. I restatted to have 40/40 str/dex instead of my almost useless 30 int and 20/20 str/dex, and I might actually keep it to challenge myself with heavier weapons/have the lighter ones do damage worth a drat. Then go Luck for NG++. If I still feel up for toying around then.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That guy to the right is supposed to be super hard, you don't have to beat him unless you really want his weapon, and you can goad him into rolling into the abyss (he did it for me and a buddy on his own, I never got to really fight him). Don't sweat him for now, though.

You will figure out the controls eventually, though jumping will always be awkward.

Every starting class can equip and do everything, you just have to pump the right stats. The big anime swords start at 30-sth STR (to one-hand), that isn't hard to reach.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh, I wasn't aware that I didn't need to beat him right now. Where do I go then? I'm not at home now but I don't remember there being another path to take.

What stats should I pump my currency into to begin with? Are there any break points I should try to hit?
I felt so smart when I rested at the Bonfire and realize that I could travel to somewhere unknown, then realized that this was the intended way to go and felt dumb again :(.

Echoing what others said about stats, for your first time it's probably a good idea to go 20 in the mentioned stats and then decide what you want to do. More interested in Dex weapons? Don't sweat those 20 STR, the weapons usually scale a little with it anyway. Wanna do some Pyromancy? Up Int/Faith until you can use it. Actually want to do a mage? Then you will have to reskill. But you can later on! So just do whatever you think is a good idea :).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

My brother and I are going to do a co-op play through. If we want to maximize how often we're invaded should we stick to the wiki's co-op levels or go a little higher or a lot higher or what? My first play through was almost always embered and I was invaded I think 3 times. But I think I was probably under-leveled the whole time and over-upgraded a lot of it.

I'm also interested in hearing interesting weapon choice ideas or gimmick ideas. My main dude's a strength guy so those are mostly all the weapon's I've tried.

I got wrecked by a sorcerer in PVP a couple times last knight and am considering that.
Sorcery (apparently, I've only ever used it as backup and it was fine then) kind of sucks until you get the really high Int levels and spells and catalysts way late, but with a permanent partner I think that's the best situation for a Sorcery playthrough. I'd say go for that. As for levels, dunno, I mostly leveled whenever I had the souls to not lose them and would get invaded whenever Embered in most areas.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Man, the dark Firelink shrine got me good. Now I'm trying to figure out whether the 'main' shrine is a past, future or dream version.

Also I'm guessing that giving the keeper those eyes triggered a different ending. Can someone let me know if I'll be able to choose outright at the end, or if I have to kill her now to stop it? Also will letting her live override all of the work I put in to become a dark lord zombie?
If you want to be perfectly safe, just kill her. I promise you that there will be zero consequences.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh yeah, before I gently caress myself over by going into NG+: when people say they need to grind out "the Covenants" before doing so, presumably it's mostly about Darkmoon Blade and the other spell stuff (like Great Deep Soul)? If I don't want the Wolf Greatsword, I don't have to bother with Watchdogs at all, correct? Talking about wanting Achievements, here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

If you care about achievements you need the Wolf Ring from Watchdogs rank 2.
Ah gently caress you're absolutely right, thanks! Good thing I asked. Though I think I remember Watchdogs being
a) active again at NG+
b) probably easy to farm even in NG+
Is that correct?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

While we're talking about poise, this bullshit right here. For some weapons and attacks, you apparently can be staggered out like whatever. But here the guy clearly hits you all the time, but the Axe completely ignores it and keeps swinging. Of course it's great, it cheats the system! When I swing my Greatsword, if at any point my enemy's breath lightly brushes my cheek, my character is like WHOA poo poo and that's it with the swing. I'd love to just trade hits like in DS2 if the enemy is dumb enough to try that when his weapon is weaker, but Short Sword < Greatsword doesn't work if the SS always wins by swinging quicker.

Otoh, the Greatsword ALSO doesn't win against Greataxe, because THOSE swings are apparently completely unstaggerable. I don't think that's really "enough poise on their armor" or whatever, Yhorm's weapon, the Dragonslayer Greataxe etc. are just so good because you can swing and NOT get staggered out of the swing. You pretty much have to know that against this weapon, you can forget being "quicker" and stagger them out, be loving careful or they'll push your poo poo in. God help you if they decided to up Stamina enough for one more swing than you'd think they can do.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its the hyperarmour mechanic; some attacks give you 'hyperarmour', which basically means you can't be staggered by most attacks during it. Its a good mechanic in theory, but in practice its pretty frustrating because there's no consistency with how it works. Some weapons get hyperarmour on basically every attack, while others do not. Some attacks have hyperarmour for the entire attack, while others only have it for certain parts of the animation. With no visual or audio indicator, the only way you can figure out when you can actually stagger another player is through trial and error.
That's exactly my beef with it! I suspected so far that this was the case, but because I wasn't totally sure until reading this thread more deeply that poise was actually, truly busted and had also never heard the term "Hyperarmor" or something similar before, I was never quite certain that the "lol no stagger" Axe enemies I encountered just DID have enough poise, or if it was a weapon property. It's especially nonsensical because I really like clubs, and let me tell you about the cool hyperarmor my gargoyle hammer gets: farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

I got 5 Cracked Red Eye Orbs from Leonhard, then he disappeared after I beat Abyss Walkers. I beat Deacons and Pontiff and he's still not back. There's no way to get the full red eye orb now is there? :(
Do you have at least one tongue? There's a free one in the firedemon area where Siegward helps out.

Switched.on posted:

It's a mechanic that's in all the souls games, and bloodborne. I knew what it was conceptually, but only heard the term hyperarmor when I was watching one of EpicNameBros videos.
I followed the DS2 thread for at least a year and never heard of anything like that. Probably because in DS2 PvP, there was no need to complain about those mechanical intrinsities.

By the way, I'm not really as salty as I sound, it's just...baffling and I guess I'm a little annoyed at myself because I didn't know about this stuff at all, and that would have saved me a lot of issues during PvP fights...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Exodee posted:

The term somehow got carried over from fighting games, which often use a very similar system. (Although I think they just call it "armor"?)

Are you two handing your gargoyle hammer? Usually you'll get a lot more hyperarmor frames when you do, and I don't think great hammers are the exception.
I JUST noticed that I "poised" through an attack so welp. Though it will help me a lot knowing that it's not semi-random or dependant on enemies' used attacks or whatever...